What Did You Cook Lately? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

#91 Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 AM

mashed potaroes and sauce with tomatoes, mushrooms and thyme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40af6ce5-7fc3-4655-b5fc-6d5f944eacf1_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	14777  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Bread Pudding - I'm really happy with this as it sets just like regular bread pudding with eggs in.
Also good for Halloween - just add grated apple and ground cloves.

Ingredients

1lb / 550g stale wholemeal bread (20p)
4 1/2 US cups / 1065 ml unsweetened soya milk (63p)
6oz / 170g mixed dried fruit (32p)
6oz / 170g dark brown sugar (34p)
1 tsp ground nutmeg (8p)
1 tsp ground mixed spice (11p)
3oz / 85g natural custard powder (24p)
1 tbsp vegetable oil for greasing baking dish
4 tbsp / 2oz / 57g demerara sugar for sprinkling (11p)

Method

Mix milk, brown sugar, custard powder and spices together.
Cube bread and place in large bowl with dried fruit.
Pour milk mixture over bread and leave to soak for 30mins.
Mash lumps of bread with a fork or wooden spoon until broken down.
Grease baking dish and pour in mixture.
Smooth top and sprinkle demerara sugar evenly over.
Bake at 180C for 1hr.
Once cooled cut into 8 squares.

NOTE: I don't think you have custard powder in the US - if not just substitute cornstarch (not cornmeal, but the fine white powder for thickening)

Last edited by Spudulika; 10-20-2016 at 12:04 AM.
#93 Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I made this dish last night. I have a ton of apples from my apple tree to work with. This one is made up of apples, green beans, sunflower seeds, bell pepper, onion, and an orange tamarind sauce. I had this over brown rice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Apple onion sunflower seed green bean pepper orange sauce.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	15378  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 10-21-2016, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Made this a few days ago. Vegan comfort food!

Mac and vegan "cheese". I blended a block of tofu, Daiya chedder shreds, steamed carrot and sweet potato, a little marjoram, black pepper, salt, and a few tablespoons of Just Mayo and just enough cashew milk to get it blending into a sauce. Then scooped it all into a pot and heated for a minute or two to mix with the macaroni. VERY creamy and delicious! My partner devoured it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vegan Mac and Cheese With Tofu Daiya Carrot Sweet Potato.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	15386  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#95 Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Oh my, that mac and cheese looks divine!

Last night I made a massive pot of stew with lots of red pepper, garlic, onion, potatoes, cauliflower and kale and tons of spices. Not only is it delicious but now I don't have to cook for at least a week.
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#96 Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Shared this on my Facebook page, but had to share it here too! I made this recipe:

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012...-cream-cheese/

I did not add any sugar or anything other than what was in the recipe. This makes a very nice spreadable thick rich "cream cheese" that is more of a soury authentic taste. I used a nutmilk mesh bag instead of cheesecloth.

And I experimented with phyllo sheets and made my own version of apple turnovers. I simple made an apple compote by chopping some apples from my tree, adding them to a pot (I left the skin on), and adding chia seeds, water, spices like nutmeg and cinnemon, and maple syrup to make a thick compote. I rolled out a few layers of phyllo dough, added some apple compote, and folded it into a triangular shape. I brushed each pocket with just a smidge of olive oil, then baked them in the oven for 25 minutes. This was so good! Very flaky crust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Apple Turnovers.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	15434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fermented Cashew Cheese II.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	15442  

#97 Old 10-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

^That creme cheze and phyllo would make a wonderful spanakopita (sp? spinach and feta pies).
I've been wanting to make them with a tofu ricotta- i have cashews and may try this instead.
Purp and Naturebound like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#98 Old 10-30-2016, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
^That creme cheze and phyllo would make a wonderful spanakopita (sp? spinach and feta pies).
I've been wanting to make them with a tofu ricotta- i have cashews and may try this instead.
Thanks for the idea! Smacks head. Why did I not think of that? I have been daydreaming about savory ingredients to put in those phyllo sheets, and this would be perfect!
Purp likes this.

#99 Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

What did I cook lately?
Spinach Noodle Kugel from Veganomicon

Lentil Salad also from Veganomicon

Van Gogh's Forbidden Starry Night Rice

And, for dessert, Oops, also know as Cinnamon Roll pie with caramelized peaches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA300010.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	15450   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300009.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	15458   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300008.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	15466   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA300007.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	15474  

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#100 Old 10-31-2016, 03:36 PM

I made this for dinner:

http://karalydon.com/recipes/main-co...hoy-rice-bowl/

I didn't have brown rice around so I used white sushi rice. I also didn't have sriracha, so I used chili-garlic sauce (which is very similar anyway) and I left out the added salt because I figured the soy sauce and peanut butter and peanuts would all be salty enough (they were). It was really good!

I followed that up with a glass of pineapple-orange-banana juice and some vegan marzipan-filled dark chocolate. Mmm.
Naturebound likes this.
#101 Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

This was breakfast this morning (precooked a huge batch of wild rice the night before, blueberries, and oats, with a pinch of cinnamon).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wild Rice Oats Blueberry cereal.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	15482  
Werewolf Girl and Spudulika like this.

#102 Old 01-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I made this tonight. A root vegetable gratin, with a cashew cream made with my new cheapo blender that I bought yesterday.

Really lovely! Will definately make again.

I used raw thinly sliced veggies (half a celeriac, two parsnips and a couple of medium potatoes) and baked for an hour. The cashew cream is just one cup cashews and two cups water, blitzed for a minute and seasoned with garlic, herbs and a veggie stock cube.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...gie-au-gratin/
#103 Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Tonight I made Jamie Oliver's Mexican Street Salad, which reminds me I should really get a new food processor with some shredding discs! Pretty good. Principle flavours are lime and coriander. I used bottled lime instead of fresh as I don't buy fresh limes in much, didn't add the fresh chilli peppers (as we had it with chilli). Worth making.

Ingredients
½ small white cabbage
½ small red cabbage
1 small bunch radishes , (about 10) trimmed and finely sliced
2 carrots , peeled and finely sliced
1 large bunch fresh coriander , leaves and stalks finely chopped
2 large jalapeno chillies (or other green chilli) , to taste, finely sliced
1 red onion , peeled and finely sliced
extra virgin olive oil
2-3 limes , juice of
sea salt

Method
The easiest and quickest way to make this is to use a food processor with a slicer attachment or a mandolin. If you don’t have either of those, use a speed peeler, or simply grate everything finely.
Shred your white and red cabbage into two separate piles. Put just the white cabbage into a large bowl with the radishes, carrots and most of the coriander. Mix everything together really well, then kick up the flavours by adding almost all the chopped chilli, the sliced red onion and a good few lugs of extra virgin olive oil. Add most of the lime juice and a good pinch of salt, then toss together and have a taste. Just keep adjusting everything, adding more fragrance with the coriander, heat with the last of the chilli and acid with another squeeze of lime juice, until it’s just right for you.
When you’re happy, fold in the red cabbage right before serving so it doesn’t stain everything, and tuck in.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...-street-salad/
#104 Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Today I got up extra early to do some batch cooking. Butter Bean and Leek Patties. These will be our dinner once a week for several weeks now:

I used a mash-up of these two recipes:
Butter Bean & Leek Burgers
White Bean & Leek Cakes

As I was batch cooking, I used a whole bag of dried butter beans (soaked, cooked and drained) and 1lb of leeks (sliced and sauted in olive oil along with onion, celery and parsley).
Added plenty of dried herbs and garlic to season and then mashed it all together with 3 cups of oats to bind.
I shape and freeze my bean burgers, then fry or bake from frozen.
#105 Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Today I got up extra early to do some batch cooking. Butter Bean and Leek Patties. These will be our dinner once a week for several weeks now:

I used a mash-up of these two recipes:
Butter Bean & Leek Burgers
White Bean & Leek Cakes

As I was batch cooking, I used a whole bag of dried butter beans (soaked, cooked and drained) and 1lb of leeks (sliced and sauted in olive oil along with onion, celery and parsley).
Added plenty of dried herbs and garlic to season and then mashed it all together with 3 cups of oats to bind.
I shape and freeze my bean burgers, then fry or bake from frozen.
These look fantastic! What a great idea to make ahead and freeze for quick dinners!

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
#106 Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskins View Post
These look fantastic! What a great idea to make ahead and freeze for quick dinners!
It doesn't take all that much longer, I'd say maybe an extra half an hour for me to do a batch cook, but it saves *so much* time during the week when you get in after work.
You do have to be confident with your recipe though, or it can be a big waste of time and food!
jaskins likes this.
#107 Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

This morning I got up early so I could do a few things before getting ready for work. Amongst those things I've made fajita seasoning mix and seitan sausages - now steaming on hob.

Mine looks a lot like these:

Simple Chicken Style Seitan Slicing Sausage (one 1lb sausage)

In a bowl put 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour (if you're in the UK, this has to be bought in health food shops or in online wholefood suppliers, I get the Suma brand) and 1/4 cup gram flour (available in Indian stores or in the world food isle of larger supermarkets), 1 tsp dried herbs of choice, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional), garlic granules (optional).
In a jug put 1 cup boiling water, 1 tbsp oil (I use EVO) and a veggie stock cube or a teaspoon of bouillon powder.
Dissolve the stock and then mix into the flour with a fork.
Once well mixed, knead the dough a bit, it will be hot so you can leave to cool slightly first. It will be sticky at first, but you're looking for a nice very slightly rubbery (not too rubbery or it will be chewy) blob that holds together and comes away clean from the side of the bowl.
Oil a length of tinfoil and put a steamer on the go.
Plop the blob into the middle of the foil and shape slightly into what will become a sausage.
Roll the foil up into a fat sausage and twist the ends.
Steam for 1 hour.
Unpack and slice or dice in anything you want.

I usually make two at once, I might make four next time and freeze the others (it freezes just fine).
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#108 Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is making me so hungry!

I made a huge veggie stir fry with rice (in my new rice cooker!) with spicy tahini sauce and Bragg's liquid aminos.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#109 Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Banned

For breakfast I had oatmeal with banana and a cup of green tea
#110 Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

By karumba, dinner is being prepped for later and I'm already wanting to eat it.
We're having seitan and mushroom stew, inspired by this recipe - Seitan Mushroom Stew - but simplified.

Sauteed a couple of onions and loads of garlic in a bit of olive oil, then added 8oz of roughly chopped seitan (homemade from the recipe just above in this thread) and lightly browned.

Added 3 sliced carrots and 300g frozen sliced mushrooms (I find these are perfect and super quick for stews, though kind of awful for most everything else), a pound of roughly chopped potatoes (might do 1 & 1/2lb next time), and stirred a bit.

Added a good size cup of red wine, about half a pint of hot brown stock made up with a heaped teaspoon of yeast extract (generic yeast extract, Marmite or Veggiemite are all good), brought to boil and reduced the heat.

Then seasoned with dried mixed herbs, tomato puree, mushroom ketchup (veggie worcester would do). Simmered lid on for 1 hr. Or til taters are tender. Add extra water if it gets too thick.

Thickened with a smooth 1tbsp flour and water mix, it smells very tempting.

ETA: It was amazing! Stuffed now Definitely going on the rotation. Perfect Sunday lunch with a couple slices brown bread and 'butter'. Had extra black pepper and worcester on the table.

Last edited by Spudulika; 02-26-2017 at 04:28 AM.
#111 Old 02-26-2017, 01:46 AM

Noodles for dinner with soya sauce. Very tasty. I enjoyed it.
#112 Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
By karumba, dinner is being prepped for later and I'm already wanting to eat it.
We're having seitan and mushroom stew, inspired by this recipe - Seitan Mushroom Stew - but simplified.

Sauteed a couple of onions and loads of garlic in a bit of olive oil, then added 8oz of roughly chopped seitan (homemade from the recipe just above in this thread) and lightly browned.

Added 3 sliced carrots and 300g frozen sliced mushrooms (I find these are perfect and super quick for stews, though kind of awful for most everything else), a pound of roughly chopped potatoes (might do 1 & 1/2lb next time), and stirred a bit.

Added a good size cup of red wine, about half a pint of hot brown stock made up with a heaped teaspoon of yeast extract (generic yeast extract, Marmite or Veggiemite are all good), brought to boil and reduced the heat.

Then seasoned with dried mixed herbs, tomato puree, mushroom ketchup (veggie worcester would do). Simmered lid on for 1 hr. Or til taters are tender. Add extra water if it gets too thick.

Thickened with a smooth 1tbsp flour and water mix, it smells very tempting.

ETA: It was amazing! Stuffed now Definitely going on the rotation. Perfect Sunday lunch with a couple slices brown bread and 'butter'. Had extra black pepper and worcester on the table.

I. Am. Drooling. This looks like the perfect thing to satisfy that "beef stew" comfort food craving!
Spudulika likes this.

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
#113 Old 03-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Made a lovely golden butternut squash and chickpea tagine from a mash-up of a couple of recipes:

vegan vegetable tagine
butternut squash and apricot tagine

Really very good. Tender sweet vegetables in a rich fragrant and smoky sauce (I put in quite a lot of harissa paste) I made enough for six portions altogether, so the other four portions are going into two freezer tubs for us later in the month.
silva and Symondezyn like this.
#114 Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Made a lovely golden butternut squash and chickpea tagine from a mash-up of a couple of recipes:

vegan vegetable tagine
butternut squash and apricot tagine

Really very good. Tender sweet vegetables in a rich fragrant and smoky sauce (I put in quite a lot of harissa paste) I made enough for six portions altogether, so the other four portions are going into two freezer tubs for us later in the month.
That looks absolutely gorgeous! (the serving vessel doesn't hurt either - so beautiful ^_^)
Spudulika likes this.
#115 Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
That looks absolutely gorgeous! (the serving vessel doesn't hurt either - so beautiful ^_^)
Mine didn't look quite so beautiful tbh!! Very tasty though. Definitely recommended.
Symondezyn likes this.
#116 Old 03-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

The last thing I cooked was penne in spicy tomato sauce, we use butter beans instead of chicken in it, and it's one of my favourite meals:

Finely dice two onions and half a bulb of garlic. Heat four tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and add the onions and garlic. Add some salt and saute until tender.
Puree two 400g cartons of chopped tomatoes in a food processor until smooth, then add them to the onions along with two heaped tablespoons of tomato puree. Stir through.
Add two teaspoons of dried oregano, one rounded (or heaped if you prefer a hotter sauce) teaspoon of dried chilli flakes and one teaspoon of course ground black pepper. Add two drained 400g tins of butter beans (or about 250g dried beans – soaked and cooked earlier. Heat sauce until bubbling nicely, stir well.
Meanwhile cook 250g of dried wholewheat penne until tender. Drain and stir through the sauce.
Salt to taste and serve with an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if liked (as former cheese lover who would liberally sprinkle grated cheese all over my pasta, I find an extra drizzle of olive oil offers the same satisfying richness without the dairy). Top with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast if liked. Serves 4 with crusty bread and dressed salad leaves
#117 Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

My "Smashed Peas" creation made with one small (not family sized) package steamed frozen green peas, 1/4 of a medium sized red onion chopped, and a handful or two of fresh mung bean sprouts. Blend well with immersion blender for the smashed effect. (another seasoning option: garlic powder, cayenne, and nutritional yeast along with the peas and sprouts)

Cole slaw made in the food processor with 1/2 small head purple cabbage, 3 carrots, 4 small sweet red peppers, 1/4 small red onion, and later stirring in a little veganaise, and some raisins.

Carrot "fries" made by slicing carrots into fry length pieces and getting them as close in size as possible for equal cooking time, adding the carrot pieces, a small drizzle of almond oil and some ground rosemary to a sturdy plastic ziploc bag, or a bowl, massaging until all pieces are covered well. Bake uncovered at 450 for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven and flip/stir them, return to oven and bake 10 more minutes, using the last 2 or 3 under the broiler, if you wish them to be browned even more, being careful not to burn them.
Spudulika likes this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#118 Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Boston baked beans now in the slow cooker for tonights tea.
I usually serve homemade baked beans with baked jacket potatoes, a piece of corn on the cob and a pile of crunchy slaw - they're also good served with frankfurters/hot dogs.

Ingredients

450g / 1 lb dried haricot beans (great northern), soaked overnight in cold water
2 onions, chopped
2tbsp dark brown sugar
2tbsp wholegrain mustard
4tbsp molasses or black treacle
450ml / 16 floz lager or bitter
1 x 400g / 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
4tbsp tomato puree
4tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
1tbsp chilli powder (optional, or use less if you prefer your beans less piquant)

Method

Preheat oven to 150C / 300F / Gas 2
Drain the beans. Place them in a large saucepan and cover with fresh water. Boil for 10 minutes, scoop any foam off at this point. Put lid on saucepan, reduce heat and simmer for a further 45 minutes.
Drain cooked beans and place in a casserole dish. Stir in the chopped onions, mustard and lager or bitter.
Add all the other ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until well blended.
Pour the mixture into the casserole dish and stir through the beans well.
Put lid on casserole and bake for around 4 hours. Check a couple of times during cooking to ensure the beans don’t dry out too much – add a little extra water if needed.
#119 Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 PM

Banana oat waffle with vegan chocolate sauce

No oil chickpea omelette with cashew cream and taco sauce

Edit: the recipes are on my YouTube page if you want to try folks :-)

YouTube:

Vegan recipes - Health tips

Facebook:

Last edited by Fr Ted Crilly; 03-17-2017 at 08:09 PM.
#120 Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Ted Crilly View Post

No oil chickpea omelette with cashew cream and taco sauce

The omelette looks really good. I found it here at 2:23 (egg sub mix at 0:32)

Fr Ted Crilly likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 03-18-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page