• 2 Post By veganfitnessjunkie
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 2 Post By runnerveggie
  • 1 Post By mackiesgirl
  • 1 Post By BobJustBob

#1 Old 01-10-2016, 04:46 AM

can u be vegan with diabetes 2?

so i found out recently i got diabetes type 2 which is why i been feeling so dizzy, and the doctor said i need to avoid carbs like the plague and eat high protein to keep my blood sugar steady and even bananas and stuff the sugar in them spike blood sugar.

so what should i do? if i just try to tough it out and eat bananas and peanuts for a week will it fix my diabetes? is it ok to eat peanuts?

also i kinda stopped being vegan for a week and my diarrhea went away, but 2 days ago i started eating bananas and peanuts all day again, and once again i got diarrhea...

also i notice freelee the banana girl says her crap is "frothy fruity floaters" sometimes 2-3 times a day, so does that mean chronic diarrhea is normal on a vegan diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamin View Post
so i found out recently i got diabetes type 2 which is why i been feeling so dizzy, and the doctor said i need to avoid carbs like the plague and eat high protein to keep my blood sugar steady and even bananas and stuff the sugar in them spike blood sugar.

so what should i do? if i just try to tough it out and eat bananas and peanuts for a week will it fix my diabetes? is it ok to eat peanuts?

also i kinda stopped being vegan for a week and my diarrhea went away, but 2 days ago i started eating bananas and peanuts all day again, and once again i got diarrhea...

also i notice freelee the banana girl says her crap is "frothy fruity floaters" sometimes 2-3 times a day, so does that mean chronic diarrhea is normal on a vegan diet?
Hi Gamin
What a scary thing to hear from your doctor, that must have been a bad day.

Were you vegan before, or decide to because of the diabetes? The freelee type diet is probably not the best one for regulating blood sugar. You are going to have to learn a new way of eating; this cannot be fixed in a week or a month.

This link has information on going vegan with diabetes. http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-...e-for-diabetes

"These studies suggested that meaty, fatty diets cause the body to be more resistant to insulin’s actions. Clinical research studies have shown that adopting a low-fat, plant-derived diet does indeed improve insulin sensitivity, help with weight loss, and reduce blood sugar and cholesterol.

Part of the value of a low-fat, plant-based diet is that it is very low in saturated fat—that is, the kind of fat that is found especially in meats, dairy products, and tropical oils (coconut, palm, or palm kernel oil). To cut fat effectively, you’ll want to do two things:

The first step is to avoid animal-derived products. Needless to say, this eliminates all animal fats. It does something else, too: It eliminates animal protein. While we need protein, we do not need animal-derived protein. Animal proteins accelerate kidney damage in people who have already lost some kidney function. They also increase the loss of calcium from the body (through the kidneys and into the urine), potentially increasing the risk of osteoporosis. Plant sources of protein do not present these problems.

The second step is to avoid added vegetable oils. Although oils are often thought of as healthier than animal fats, they are just as high in calories. For the healthiest diet, you will want to keep oils to a minimum. This guide covers both of these steps.

It also helps you select the most healthful carbohydrate-containing foods, and provides many other ideas for healthful foods to choose.

The way of eating explained in this guide does not require weighing or measuring, and you will never go hungry!"
#3 Old 01-10-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi Gamin
What a scary thing to hear from your doctor, that must have been a bad day.

Were you vegan before, or decide to because of the diabetes? The freelee type diet is probably not the best one for regulating blood sugar. You are going to have to learn a new way of eating; this cannot be fixed in a week or a month.

This link has information on going vegan with diabetes. http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-...e-for-diabetes

"These studies suggested that meaty, fatty diets cause the body to be more resistant to insulin’s actions. Clinical research studies have shown that adopting a low-fat, plant-derived diet does indeed improve insulin sensitivity, help with weight loss, and reduce blood sugar and cholesterol.

Part of the value of a low-fat, plant-based diet is that it is very low in saturated fat—that is, the kind of fat that is found especially in meats, dairy products, and tropical oils (coconut, palm, or palm kernel oil). To cut fat effectively, you’ll want to do two things:

The first step is to avoid animal-derived products. Needless to say, this eliminates all animal fats. It does something else, too: It eliminates animal protein. While we need protein, we do not need animal-derived protein. Animal proteins accelerate kidney damage in people who have already lost some kidney function. They also increase the loss of calcium from the body (through the kidneys and into the urine), potentially increasing the risk of osteoporosis. Plant sources of protein do not present these problems.

The second step is to avoid added vegetable oils. Although oils are often thought of as healthier than animal fats, they are just as high in calories. For the healthiest diet, you will want to keep oils to a minimum. This guide covers both of these steps.

It also helps you select the most healthful carbohydrate-containing foods, and provides many other ideas for healthful foods to choose.

The way of eating explained in this guide does not require weighing or measuring, and you will never go hungry!"
idk how long i have had diabetes, but i been getting dizzy for over a year now so i guess ive had it for quite a while. ive read a million articles telling me what i cant eat, but cant find anything that shows me what i can eat lol. so is it ok to eat peanuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-10-2016, 05:18 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Read the guide on the above link. It tells you how and what to eat.
#5 Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/diabetes/

Other helpful research on plant based diets for diabetes
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 01-10-2016, 07:08 AM

Sorry to hear about that. Vegans have lower rates of type-2 diabetes than the general population. Part of this is likely because vegans tend to weigh less. I would try a different diet than Raw till 4. There aren't any major health/nutrition organizations that support it.

A few links on Vegan Diets and Diabetes:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-resources
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/diabetestwo
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/plan...-for-diabetes/
LedBoots and mackiesgirl like this.
#7 Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamin View Post

Hi Gamin,

According to the American Diabetes Association, carbohydrate-rich whole foods are beneficial for the prevention and/or management of diabetes.

For instance, look at the American Diabetes Association's list of "Superfoods" for managing diabetes: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...uperfoods.html . Their list includes beans, whole grains, sweet potatoes, and berries, all of which are high in carbohydrates.

Also, please consider this statement from the American Diabetes Association, regarding high-carbohydrate vegan diets:
“A vegetarian diet is a healthy option, even if you have diabetes. Research supports that following this type of diet can help prevent and manage diabetes. In fact, research on vegan diets has found that carbohydrate and calorie restrictions were not necessary and still promoted weight loss and lowered participants' A1C”
Link to this statement: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/meal-planning-for-vegetarians/

Now, to answer your question about what you should eat: Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States, has published its own Plant Based Diet Guide (competely vegan). Kaiser Permanente recommends low-fat, high-fiber vegan diets for the prevention / management of diabetes: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

If your doctor is skeptical of vegan diets, then you should show him these statements and resources from the American Diabetes Association and Kaiser Permanente. He can't ignore statements made by such reputable organizations.
mackiesgirl likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-10-2016 at 09:30 AM.
#8 Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 PM

Are you on metformin? My mom is on it and she is having a hard time because of that very side effect. My cousin went off it because she just couldn't adjust. She was told it could take up to 6 months of daily use to adjust to the medication. My mom and cousin aren't vegan. Some people can be vegan and diabetic and some can't. They will tell you to lose weight though, so may have to modify your diet and really watch your sugars. They probably won't come down as fast as your doctor may want. The vegetarian or vegan way is not usually something they are familiar with,but the Diabetic Association has it's vegetarian and vegan diets posted online. You might want to print out some of that information to give to your doctor. It will help with convincing him and anybody else that your plan is ok. Good Luck!
#9 Old 01-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiesgirl View Post
Some people can be vegan and diabetic and some can't.
Mackiesgirl, could you provide evidence, from a reputable source, to back up your statement? Reputable diabetes organizations recommend a vegan diet.

Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States, strongly recommends plant-based diets. In their quarterly physicians' journal, "The Permanente Journal", Kaiser Permanenete advises physicians to consider recommending a plant-based diet to ALL their patients, ESPECIALLY those with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and/or high blood pressure: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

To quote from The Permanente Journal:
Research shows that plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that may lower body mass index, blood pressure, HbA1C, and cholesterol levels. They may also reduce the number of medications needed to treat chronic diseases and lower ischemic heart disease mortality rates. Physicians should consider recommending a plant-based diet to all their patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or obesity.”
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

AND, Kaiser Permanente's plant-based diet is 100% vegan: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

That being said, it's essential to tell your physician if you're planning to adopt a plant-based diet, or planning to make any big changes to your diet. Your physician may need to adjust your medication.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-10-2016 at 02:24 PM.
#10 Old 01-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Gamin. I'm not a moderator but for your own protection, can I refer you to the following VeggieBoards' guidelines on staying healthy:

Quote:
We are not doctors and do not guarantee that any advice given on VB is based on medical fact vs. opinion. If you're ill or have questions about your health please see your personal health care provider about it.
Leedsveg
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 01-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Gamin, are you able to see a registered dietitian or a registered diabetes educator? They may help clarify your questions and your doctor's recommendations. In general, nutrition recommendations for diabetes are very compatible with a healthy and balanced vegan diet, with plenty of veggies, whole grains and beans. You might find Ginny Messina's "Plant Plate" helpful as a visual guide for a balanced vegan diet: http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans

On the other hand, overly restricted or extreme diets that focus on only one or a handful of foods or shun entire food groups (such as supposed "banana diets") are not likely to be healthy for anyone.

There are tons of vegan options out there, and I hope you can find a solution that works for you.
LedBoots and David3 like this.
#12 Old 01-10-2016, 04:07 PM

Hi....there is so much information out there it's hard to know where to start. But someone I found that made a lot of sense is Dr Morse. He keeps it simple and tells the truth about healing our body. Check out the link about him talking about diabetes.

I also started a youtube channel with easy simple WFPB meals.

Last edited by WFPB; 01-10-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: wrong link
#13 Old 01-10-2016, 04:55 PM

My sister,mother, 3 aunts, uncle, and cousin are diabetics. I was a border line diabetic at one time as well. I do think the vegan diet is your best chance to survive diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family but I am no expert, I'm not a doctor. dietitian, or moderator just someone that knows first hand what diabetes can do. The advice I gave was common sense. I'm just a lay person.I thought everybody else had told her to see her doctor and dietitian. I was going to talk as a ordinary person, which I am. But I stand by everything I said. I know 2 vegans that ended up as vegetarians because of problems, they said they had with their sugars. They could have been full of crap but what the hell do I know.As far as posting it I don't know how to post it here. Yah I'm that old.I only learned to use a computer 10 years ago and I taught myself so it isn't going to happen, not by me anyway.
LedBoots likes this.
#14 Old 01-10-2016, 06:00 PM

Gamin:

A well-planned vegan diet can reverse type II diabetes (T2D) in many people.

Brenda Davis is a registered dietitian and a strong advocate of a whole-food, plant-based (WFPB) diet as treatment for T2D. She has been brought in as an expert to help control the epidemic of T2D which is ravaging the Marshall Islands. Here is a link to her Web site (http://www.brendadavisrd.com/ ) and to a book she wrote about using a WFPB diet to control T2D: (http://tinyurl.com/jkblcuk ). Finally, here is a lengthy talk she gave describing how a WFPB diet can prevent, treat, or reverse many of the chronic diseases ravaging the Western countries (the last 5 minutes of this talk are truly inspiring):

Dr. Neil Barnard is a physician who recommends a WFPB diet as a treatment for diabetes. Here is a link to the Amazon.com entry for a book he wrote on the subject: http://tinyurl.com/zukhbs9 . You can find a number of videos on YouTube in which he talks about his approach to treating T2D with diet: here is a fairly short one
Naturebound likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page