How to ease into a vegan/vegetarian diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 2 Post By Snodgrass

#1 Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 AM

How to ease into a vegan/vegetarian diet

Before I start, I'd like to apologise if I posted this in the wrong thread - I'm new here!

Initially, I made a pledge to go vegan or vegetarian at the start of the New Year. However, I've been facing a few obstacles.

Someone suggested that I try veganuary. However, it's only been the first day of the New Year and I had chicken breast for dinner and a scoop of chocolate ice cream.

For those who have successfully become vegan/vegetarian, I could really use some help!

- How do I know which diet is right for me - vegan or vegetarian? I've heard that some people become vegetarian, then slowly ease into a vegan diet.
- What's the best way to start a vegan/vegetarian diet? Should I slowly cut off meat, chicken, fish, then dairy, OR, should I just start either diet overnight?

Thanks!

Last edited by pierrem; 01-01-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Some jump right in and don't look back, others start slowly. It all about what is going to get you to where you can a meat free, or animal product free, life.
I found just giving up meat in the beginning very easy. I said- no more flesh- but didn't start with label reading. then I got into reading all labels and investigating nutrition.
How much you cook plays a big part in making it easier. even if you've never been around a stove, you can learn. It takes getting used to

For each think you eat with meat you can find a substitute. Even restaurants, while being hard for vegan options in many instances, can be made vegan with the right questions.

It can be a bigger change, esp vegan, when you discover all the labels animal products have once you read ingredients. Yet another reason to stick with whole foods though!

Research online is so makes it so much easier! WHat I eat today is so different from my early veg'n days when it did seem hard and requiring thought

http://www.vegansociety.com/resource...ients/overview
http://share.kaiserpermanente.org/wp...et-booklet.pdf

Variety is key. I could lead you to recipes I use, but what kinds of foods do you like? Google vegan... you'll find lots of leads. Amazon.com 'look inside' feature provides many recipes as well as a free check. Libraries can order books for you

Chocolate ice cream falls under vegetarian, but Pierres makes a chocolate vegan sorbet. Doesn't say vegan, but ingredients do
#3 Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I eased into it. Cut out meat first then started to cut out eggs so on and so forth.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I went vegetarian overnight, and was basically vegan except for cheese.

I held onto cheese for 6 months or so....did some investigating & found out that it's actually addictive. I read a book that described it as "semi-liquid meat" That freaked me out.

Anyway....I cut it out overnight & it wasn't as hard as I thought. I tried a thousand fake cheeses, and hated them all. Then I found FIELD ROAST (fake) cheese, which is awesome. I bought it for awhile, but then stopped.

I'm getting back into more whole, natural foods.
skinnieminnie likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 01-12-2016, 05:35 PM

One day, I just decided to go on a vegan diet. It was only supposed to be for 10 weeks to lose some weight, but its been 10 years now.
skinnieminnie and TGreene like this.
#6 Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
One day, I just decided to go on a vegan diet. It was only supposed to be for 10 weeks to lose some weight, but its been 10 years now.
Now, that's a cool story! Were you seeing such benefits that it made the decision to stick with it easy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page