• 1 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By animals82
  • 3 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Muttley
  • 1 Post By animals82
  • 1 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Leather Boots

My dad took me Christmas shopping today and really wanted to get me a pair of cowgirl boots. I have never had any, so it didn't even cross my mind of whether or not they were vegan. They were really expensive and I tried to get my dad to get me something else, but that's what he really wanted to get me, he even helped pick them out. I was happy with them and everything, well except for their price tag, they were $78 "on sale"! It wasn't until I got home and really looked at them that it dawned on me. They are real boots, which means they are leather! I have never owned anything leather, which is probably why I didn't even think of it. I feel really bad about it, but it would seriously hurt my dad's feelings if I were to return them. My plan is to wear them as much as I can, completely utilize them to the full extent, that way I will at least keep the poor cow who had to die for them to be made from dying in vain. I have been vegan for eight months now, I should have had this down pact. What do you guys suggest I do, my dad doesn't understand the vegan thing and we do not see each other often, I know that I will feel guilty every time I look at them though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

What did you mean by you tried to get him to get you something else? Its hard to believe he was set on getting you boots.
The cow did die in vain. He was born and raised in slavery and died for someones greed. Utilizing his remains is only more injustice

I can understand there are reasons for some people to need leather goods, either for work, safety, or specific conditions. It doesn't sound as though you have those requirements.

There are many very fashionable vegan boots around those prices. Don't you think your dad would feel badly if he knew his gift troubled you?
Gifts are given to bring the recipient joy.
#3 Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 PM

I mean I told him that I would rather have a simple pair of tennis shoes and he was dead set that was what he wanted to give me, regardless of if you believe me I tried. I don't agree that if they are well used the cow died in vain though, yes it is horrible, I do in fact feel horrible, although you think I am being ignorant, but I think in vain would mean me sticking them in the back of the closet treating them as just another object oblivious to the unnecessary sacrifice made. Maybe it is because I am a southern girl, but where I am raised to refuse someone's gift is very disrespectful and equivalent to slapping them in the face. Very small town, and such values go with it, my family doesn't approve of my lifestyle to begin with, me being 17 isn't helping the matter either. My town was featured in Earthlings, Food INC, and earned its spot on the Mercy for Animals page, so finding vegan options is nearly impossible around here! My dad is in his fifties, ordering offline isn't an option either. My father and I are not very close, he tries though, and for me to admit that I don't like them isn't going to help our relationship and make him feel worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Ankle Biter

It's so much easier to be upfront and say " I want the boots to be man-made materials." Your dad only wants to give you an extravagant gift that you will love, so tell him that you don't want leather! Take the boots back and exchange them for boots you will really love to wear.
no whey jose likes this.
#5 Old 12-18-2015, 08:32 AM

The boots are being returned, there was a tag attached stating that the state of California recongnizes the chemicals in them are known to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm! He doesn't want to give me cancer for Christmas so he said he is taking them back. Quite shocked to see a pair of footwear with such defects to the point it is stated on the tags! It might as well be a tobacco product.
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Wait, so it's cool to refuse a gift because it has a Prop 65 warning on it, but not because it's made of leather? 😑 Glad they're being returned, either way.
#7 Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Wait, so it's cool to refuse a gift because it has a Prop 65 warning on it, but not because it's made of leather? 😑 Glad they're being returned, either way.
I think it is very hard at 17 to go against your dad, especially if you don't see him much and want a relationship with him. The boots are going back, that is the main thing.
#8 Old 12-18-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Sorry the way I was raised doesn't fit your standards, I am already being disowned for my choice of being vegan, but sure I should start going against family values too.
#9 Old 12-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not passing judgement on your "family values." I'm pointing out a contradiction in what you said you couldn't do and what you did. If it was fine for you to ask your dad to return the boots because you were disturbed by the chemicals used in their production, then it would have been fine for you to return them because you were disturbed by the materials used in their production.

ETA: Are you really being disowned because you're vegan? Your family is cutting all ties with you? Why are they buying you Christmas gifts, then? None of this makes sense to me.

Last edited by no whey jose; 12-18-2015 at 01:30 PM.
#10 Old 12-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animals82 View Post
He doesn't want to give me cancer for Christmas
The sound of that................
#11 Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM
an irregular

Isnt that what being 17 is all about, going against your family's normal behaviours and figuring out who you are??

Good you got rid of the boots, but i think your well passed the age of being able to pick out your own clothes without having to make excuses or using an 'out' with a prop 65 tag
no whey jose likes this.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
#12 Old 12-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

@animals82 --I'm sorry I was so abrupt in my answer. It's hard to balance whats inside you with the actions of others, and yes, I do believe there are times its better to step back, and let other be. All species value their own species above others. Your time with your dad is important.
I guess what I should have been more clear about was to understand what having those boots would mean to you as time went on. I don't know your relationship, but you need to decide--will seeing them when you're angry with your dad make it worse because they go against your beliefs? or will asking him to return them give you cause to think twice about how you feel about vegans?

one thing I did mean, and will repeat because I believe it so much and just want to you consider how I see it- you dont have to agree.
I would NOT think less of you for keeping the boots from your father. However, when any animal is keep against there will and parts sold for profit it does not honor their stolen life to use them. there is also a market for human trafficking, I'm sure you wouldn't think buying products from the human industry would be honorable. Think if you had hair extensions and discovered they were obtained from woman held as slaves, used as prostitutes and killed. Their hair then taken and sold.

I do not frown on anyone buying leather second hand, from charitable organizitions. I also don't think less of those who have NEED for leather goods first hand. It's just where the world is at right now- it's not always easy to get what you need without going mainstream.

Your relationship with your dad is important, and I do stress that keeping the boots for that reason would not be bad. There are times when sacrificing your beliefs for others isn't such a bad thing.
#13 Old 12-25-2015, 02:36 PM

Final Expanation...

My father and I have a very rocky relationship that is easily destroyed, his alcoholism ended it when I was eight. Since then, he has fell back and forth into it ( He was drunk last night (Christmas Eve) and didn't come and get me), he tries to make it up with expensive gifts, money, despite my plea for none of it. That is why I didn't go against his expensive, horrible, full of cruelty gift. Yes, I am 17, and even more importantly it is stupid I got out of the ordeal with a prop 65 tag. I am not in denial that it is pathetic of me to use that as an excuse and I do feel bad about it, but my dad tries hard. How do you refuse something that someone desperately wanted you to have as a mock make-up gift when it very well can put an end to the relationship? I took low road out of it, but I have only been vegan eight months and am still waiting on it to be "easier" in making decisions. This has been a learning experience and I plan to use it as just that in my future.
#14 Old 12-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry. It's really hard responding to others online only.
I do get where you're coming from. Life has so many perspectives to it, thinking you can only see one way can be like having blinders on.
I'm not having a good day at all. I've been around alcoholics, and had been an enabler for ten years of marriage. It's not so easy to understand.
Hang in there animals! You sound like you're a very thoughtful person.
Being vegan isn't about perfection, and it should be about caring for all animals
#15 Old 12-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'm so sorry. It's really hard responding to others online only.
I do get where you're coming from. Life has so many perspectives to it, thinking you can only see one way can be like having blinders on.
I'm not having a good day at all. I've been around alcoholics, and had been an enabler for ten years of marriage. It's not so easy to understand.
Hang in there animals! You sound like you're a very thoughtful person.
Being vegan isn't about perfection, and it should be about caring for all animals
I am sorry your not having a good day! Merry Christmas though, it'll be over soon!
#16 Old 12-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Merry Christmas animals82!
#17 Old 12-26-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
The boots are being returned, there was a tag attached stating that the state of California recongnizes the chemicals in them are known to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm! He doesn't want to give me cancer for Christmas so he said he is taking them back. Quite shocked to see a pair of footwear with such defects to the point it is stated on the tags! It might as well be a tobacco product.
@animals82 Hello, I am really glad you returned the boots. It is not easy to stand by what you believe in, especially with perceptions and options of many other love ones who are around one. Really proud that you stood by your principles.
#18 Old 12-26-2015, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

@animals82 , Using the tag as an excuse to get rid of leather boots is actually quite clever. What bothered me was that you were genuinely more concerned about the tag than the life of the cow, but it seems that I misunderstood your post. I apologize and I hope that 2016 is better for you.
#19 Old 12-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
@animals82 , Using the tag as an excuse to get rid of leather boots is actually quite clever. What bothered me was that you were genuinely more concerned about the tag than the life of the cow, but it seems that I misunderstood your post. I apologize and I hope that 2016 is better for you.
Oh god no, I didn't mean for it to come across that way! I am vegan for the animals, not for the health reasons or anything else. Animals are my life and I value them more than humans in a way. I became vegan cold turkey, no pun intended, after watching Earthlings. I never knew about the use of animals in all of the horrific ways that happen. I stressed the tag because I was indeed genuinely shocked that there was that kind of warning on footwear, that was the first time I have heard about such a thing. It revealed another danger associated with using an omnivorous lifestyle without the consideration of animals that would have never occurred to me. It is easily discovered that eating meat causes cancer and health defects, but not that leather can cause them. By the way, I love your username!
no whey jose likes this.
#20 Old 12-31-2015, 08:17 AM

I'm more concerned about your dad wanting to buy you boots, to be honest.
#21 Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh god no, I didn't mean for it to come across that way! I am vegan for the animals, not for the health reasons or anything else. Animals are my life and I value them more than humans in a way. I became vegan cold turkey, no pun intended, after watching Earthlings. I never knew about the use of animals in all of the horrific ways that happen. I stressed the tag because I was indeed genuinely shocked that there was that kind of warning on footwear, that was the first time I have heard about such a thing. It revealed another danger associated with using an omnivorous lifestyle without the consideration of animals that would have never occurred to me. It is easily discovered that eating meat causes cancer and health defects, but not that leather can cause them. By the way, I love your username!
Thank you! I'm genuinely sorry that I was so snippy. I should know how hard it is to be a vegan teenager! It's been too long, now I'm a curmudgeonly old woman. 😂
animals82 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page