• 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 4 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By strawberrycrepe
  • 2 Post By mackiesgirl
  • 3 Post By karenlovessnow
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 AM

Dealing with Cravings

A little background; I've been vegan now for 8 months. When I decided to make the change I switched instantly cutting out all animal products etc.

---

The last week I've found that my cravings for meat have been growing and it's starting to annoy me more than anything now.

I'm not going to give up and start eating meat; I still believe in my reasonings for going vegan, but it's starting to irritate me.

I'm the type of person who eats a lot of junk food and sometimes find myself comfort eating, which is something I'm working on. In the past greasy meat foods would be my go to, these days it's crisps (potato chips), chocolate and chips (fries) and this week I've had a lot of those things, but it isn't helping ease the cravings and to be honest I'm fed up of anything made from potatoes.

Do you guys get cravings? If so, how do you deal with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried meat substitutes? If you're in the UK (which I'm guessing you might be from your use of crisps/chips), Fry's and Linda McCartney make sausages, chick'n nuggets, schnitzel, and sausage rolls. VBites (which you can find in Holland and Barrett) make bacon, meat feast pizzas, and deli slices. You could also try breaded and fried vegetables or mushrooms-- jalapeno poppers, cauliflower, onion rings.
#3 Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 AM

Although not healthy, fries are vegan. Just remember to fry the potato in some sort of vegan oil such as canola oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.

As for meat cravings, buy some vegan meat! Check out your local supermarket. If there are none, maybe a health food store near you might have some.
mackiesgirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2015, 03:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Ive never had cravings for meat, in fact, I am repulsed by the look and smell of it, and I hate it when someone in a cubicle near mine at work eats a meat product at their desk.

A few years in as a vegan, I had cravings for eggs once, but chickpea flour omelets or scrambled tofu or chickpea salad sandwiches sufficed. In the beginning I missed my Greek yogurt, one of the few dairy products I could tolerate as an omnivore, and I have never been a huge fan of vegan commercial yogurt, so I learned to make tofu puddings and thick creamy smoothies that are not too sweet to satisfy that craving. Aside from those rare few instances (the egg craving was at a time when I was extremely underweight and depriving myself of food) I have not had any cravings.

My Mom on the other hand tends to binge on junk food and she will try to be strict vegan but then cave and eat Dominos pizza loaded with meat and dairy. :/ I have actually typed her a list of many many commercial vegan products she could reach for first, like Daiya frozen pizzas or burritos, or commercial vegan veggie burgers and so on. I even showed her where to find them locally, and compared cost and time to make it before eating because convenience is a factor for her. I think veggie meat patties and sausages are the way to go if you are really having a craving. You can even fry them in a skillet with a little oil.

On the other hand, learning to cook more of a variety of plant based meals that are healthy and nourishing but also satiating can help one keep from being bored with food and look forward to some great meals. If convenience is an issue, crockpots are a great way around that. I'll throw some ingredients in a crockpot before bed and it will be ready in the morning. I love chili in the crockpot, or millet and apples, or tapioca pudding.
no whey jose and mackiesgirl like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Ankle Biter

If I were you, I'd concentrate on eating foods that are complex and as satisfying as possible - casseroles, multi-ingredient soups, seitan roasts with gravy and side veggies, foods from other cultures that are enticing, etc. Make sure everything is seasoned well and enjoy spices - a shake of sea-slat can make bland food come alive. Eat well, spend some time planning, and allow yourself to indulge in good food rather than junk - which can be pretty darn flavorless. I'll bet being more satisfied will help with the cravings.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 PM

Like no whey jose, I would suggest meat substitutes (seitan, marinated tofu, veggie burgers, etc.). Falafel is also pretty satisfying. Here is a list veg-friendly places in Birmingham. You might want to look into Indian grocery stores. They tend to have spices and meat substitutes on the cheap.

Tesco also has many vegan foods. Here is a list from September 2015. It includes everything from breads to meat substitutes to drinks.
Spudulika likes this.
#7 Old 12-19-2015, 10:09 AM

What I found helped me was to try to find out what sensations I was missing. I missed holding a greasy burger with a soft bun and diving into greasy fries with ketchup. All bad for me, on so many levels. lol. But I can make this at home in a healthier way. I fry a veggie burger with a lot of olive oil and put it on a bun dripping with all my fixings. I make my spicy oven fries with lots of salt olive oil. It is messy and nasty but it gets the job done. About once a month the cravings take over and I have to do this or I'm screwed. I think the cravings will always be there. The more I fight it the stronger they get. I grew up in a meat eating society and I ate meat so I have to cut myself some slack. It would be different if I never ate meat.Don't feel bad. But do find a healthy substitute.
LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#8 Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Dealing with Cravings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiesgirl View Post
What I found helped me was to try to find out what sensations I was missing.

It's similar for me. What I need are all the fixins that go with a nice sloppy sandwich. My favorite is a Boca original chicken patty on a whole wheat bun with pickles, onions, lots of vegan mayo, ketchup and Srirachi sauce...sometimes I'll throw on a couple of slices of smart bacon, depending on my mood...yum! I want one now!

ETA: I forgot the cheese! Delicious Daiya cheddar cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poppy, LedBoots and Ladyjay like this.

Last edited by karenlovessnow; 12-20-2015 at 09:42 AM.
#9 Old 12-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it a primarily 'meat' craving (are you craving steamed salmon fillets or baked chicken breast?).
Or is it more 'junk food' cravings (are you craving greasy burgers, hot dogs and deep fried wings).

From what you say, I'm guessing it's the latter - and as such they're not 'meat' (animal protein) cravings but 'junk food' (fat, salt and processed carbs) cravings.

You say meat based junk food has been your go to for comfort eating before.
I'd suggest (as others have) doing the faux meat junk food thing.

Find a veggie burger that you like and fill the bun with all the additions you associate to your favourite burger.
Find a veggie dog that you like and put it in a roll with fried onions and mustard.
Find a veggie 'meaty' pie you like and serve it with gravy and chips.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Spudulika; 12-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.
#10 Old 12-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

As everyone else has said... meat substitutes tend to do the trick.

If I'm hungry and craving beef, I'll eat a veggie burger, or lentils/pinto beans. Craving chicken, breaded tofu. Craving fish, Gardein makes an incredibly authentic-tasting faux fish fillet. You can find these at most supermarkets and grocery stores to my knowledge, and generally health food stores will have a wider selection to choose from, at least that's how it is here in the U.S. My favorite brands are Gardein and Boca.

Subs can get expensive so I don't buy them that often, but they're nice to have on hand for convenience every now and then. I wouldn't go into buying these expecting them to taste exactly like their meaty counterparts, but some brands are better than others. Eventually, your body won't crave it as much because you'll forget what the real thing is even like.
#11 Old 12-26-2015, 01:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jackson Powell
I agree with skinieminnie, a veggie burger with fries does the trick for me too! I love to load it up with paneer, onion rings, vegan mayo and put on my favorite movie!
#12 Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Powell View Post
I agree with skinieminnie, a veggie burger with fries does the trick for me too! I love to load it up with paneer, onion rings, vegan mayo and put on my favorite movie!
You know paneer is from cows milk?
Tofu is a good sub
#13 Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Holy smokes I didn't! Thank you. (sheepish)
#14 Old 01-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Stuff like that has happened to all of us, don't worry.
#15 Old 01-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Whew! Glad I did!
I first heard of it looking at Indian frozen entrees. They often have Mutteer Paneer alongside Mutteer Tofu!
#16 Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM

That's very kind of you LedBoots, thank you.
#17 Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM

Good to know! Thanks silva.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page