NEW To being Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By odizzido

#1 Old 11-29-2015, 05:44 PM

Red face NEW To being Vegan

I'm 6 foot male 148 kg,s been experiencing foot swelling and liver stomach pain. 6 days ago made the decision to Go 100% vegan . The swelling has gone down and is nearly gone :0) the liver pains still there but getting better. Had blood tests done waiting on results NO HEALTH INSURANCE . So cant have quick tests done. But I have decided to go the natural way any way. I am also taking the following
Coenzyme q10 200 mg daily
L-Arginine 500 mg daily
Vitamin D3 2000 IU Daily
Niacin 300 mg daily
Magnesium 800 mg daily

Also for breakfast I am having QUINOA MEAL CEREAL POWDER With water and a banana
or sometimes I have Buckwheat.
I also have a glass or two of Baking soda and water with Apple cider vinegar in the morning and continue this throughout the day I drink about 3-5 liters per day.

For lunch I have been having salads from the garden each salad will have
lettuce , tomato, pepper, carrots, cucumber pearl barley cooked, avocado,s (garlic sometimes) and I uses a avocado store bought salad dressing.

The above I will also have for dinner.

Bread was my arch nemesis and I have none now but miss it so much is there a healthy alternative. LOLL I am guessing not.

Is there any other thing that I could be doing to regain my health thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2015, 07:24 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi sifuabbot,

Welcome aboard!

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) has stated that plant-based diets are effective for the treatment of obesity, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

Kaiser Permanente has also published its own Plant-Based (vegan) Nutrition manual. It's very well-written, and it can be downloaded free-of-charge: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

Your liver and stomach pain could be symptoms of a serious problem.
It's really a good idea to have a physician examine you, which it sounds like you're doing. A vegan diet will not treat acute emergency situations.

Because you're experiencing medical problems, you should tell your physician about the changes you're making to your diet. Your physician may need to modify your current medication dosages.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-29-2015 at 07:26 PM.
#3 Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi sifuabbot and welcome!

I'm sorry about your health issues. I hope you find it's nothing too serious and that you heal from them.

Your diet sounds kind of sparse to me. Are you trying for all raw or just healthier?

If you don't want to make your own bread from scratch (which isn't hard really), there are some vegan breads on the market. I don't know where you live? In the U.S., there are two brands: Ezekiel and Food For Life breads which are sprouted breads and found in the frozen section of groceries due to not having preservatives or shelf stabilizers in them. They are really not bad, and Food For Life even has gluten free options. I also like Rudi's Bakery breads (not all are vegan but some are) and usually find those at health food stores.

If you don't want to cut grains out altogether but don't want bread, there are so many whole grains to experiment with such as brown or wild rice, millet, couscous, barley, oats... You can even make stuff like taco "meat" with wild rice, or veggie patties with brown rice. I find that beans are very filling and satiating for me, and they include lots of iron, calcium, protein, and fiber. They are a staple for me. I am also a fan of raw buckwheat groats. Have you ever soaked them and then ate them like cold cereal with berries and nuts/seeds? I sometimes make a porridge with raw buckwheat groats or oat groats by soaking them overnight, then in the morning I add them to my blender with a banana and berries and maybe some ground flaxseed and blend to a creamy consistency. I add a little water as I blend to help it along.

Fruits and vegetables are great and should be eaten at every meal, for sure. They give me more energy and help me recover from workouts faster, along with enough protein, fats, and carbs throughout the day. Years ago I had Achilles tendinitis and later a pelvic stress fracture. I managed without painkillers but I required heat/cold treatments, wraps, lots of rest, and ate a TON of turmeric on everything and pineapple for it's bromelain. I can seriously eat a half of a pineapple at one sitting. This if from WebMD:
Quote:
Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapple juice and in the pineapple stem. People use it for medicine. Bromelain is used for reducing swelling (inflammation), especially of the nose and sinuses, after surgery or injury.
The main thing though was to make sure I was eating enough!!! I probably wouldn't have had such injuries if I had not been pushing myself so hard with running while eating too little.

Best wishes on your journey!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2015, 06:09 PM

I would suggest tracking your food to make sure you're getting all the vitamins and protein you need and adding a multivitamin as well. Be sure to take a vitamin for B-12 because that is the hardest vitamin to find in vegan foods. You can find it some non-dairy milks, meat substitutes, breakfast cereals, and some nutritional yeasts. You may also want to eat some citrus fruits or some other form of vitamin c to increase absorption of certain vitamins.

Since you don't have health insurance, you may be able to find care in a community health center. Use this site to find a community health center. It might still cost you (some are free clinics), but it will be less than regular health treatment. I highly recommend that you seek medical treatment to make sure that there is nothing seriously wrong with your health.

Last edited by strawberrycrepe; 12-01-2015 at 06:12 PM.
#5 Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

May I ask why you're doing the baking soda thing?....that's potentially a lot of salt. I have no idea if baking soda can have the same negative effects as too much salt but it's something you might want to look into.

The main thing I can suggest is trying to get some exercise in. That has very large benefits. I know you've had some foot swelling but I'd see if you can find something you're able to do comfortably.

Also bread isn't too bad....depending. Obviously white bread is going to be the worst choice but there are a lot of multigrain ones I've seen that are pretty good.

And as strawberry said it couldn't hurt to track what you're taking in. You can use www.cronometer.com to do it. It's free and easy to use. It might seem like a lot of work but you can find and then fill any holes in your diet.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page