Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 11-05-2015, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Coleslaw?

Does anyone have a good recipe for vegan coleslaw?
I find mine always goes watery and awful after a short time. I'm tempted to try the ready shredded vegetable mixes and just add vegan mayo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 AM

I have never done it but if I would make it I would try to add some oat creme fraiche so you can avoid the watery constistence. I think whenever you make homemade coleslaw or whatever you can find in stores, you have to keep in mind that they put in preservatives and thickening agents.

But, if you could add some citrus fruits, they have pektin in their shells which have a natural thickening agent - pektin. Maybe it would work but don't hate me if it still gets watery. :-P
#3 Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 AM
an irregular

ive done the shredded vegetables with non-dairy ranch, a bit of Veganaise Horseradish sauce and some dill, but I just make small batches that i'll be using basically that day or within the next day so it generally doesn't have much chance to get too watery from sitting.

instagram: Popcorncaptain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Give peas a chance

I hated cole slaw until I made the "Cool Slaw" from Appetite for Reduction. The marinade is made with cashews and vinegar. It's amazing!

Here is the recipe
http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/co...ite-reduction/

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#5 Old 11-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I just had some tonight lol. I simply chopped some white cabbage, carrots, onion, and raisins into a bowl. Then I mixed some pure maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and cider vinegar into a bowl and whisked and taste tested until I liked it. I added this to my coleslaw mix and rubbed it in, and added some ground black pepper and viola I had a nice tangy coleslaw, NOT dripping with fat and not runny at all.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 11-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I wish I liked just vinegar without oil sugar!
Although I guess tahini mixed with cider vinegar sounds good--
http://minimalistbaker.com/simple-fall-slaw
What is with all the food blogs where you have to scroll, and scroll down through all their chit chat and pics to get to the recipe? Hate that...

I really like the boiled dressing with vinegar, sugar and and herbs but I can't find one now.

I recall something about salting the cabbage, then rinsing before the mayo dressing to get out the excess water.

I also think Just Mayo would be the best to hold up.

Silken tofu blended with stuff is a good sub for mayo. Like ranch style? with dill, pepper, garlic and onion powders, and enough soy milk to thin
no whey jose likes this.
#7 Old 11-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=silva;3820001
What is with all the food blogs where you have to scroll, and scroll down through all their chit chat and pics to get to the recipe? Hate that...[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one really annoyed with that lol. I almost never read that stuff, just scroll to the recipe. If the page takes too long to load I find another recipe lol.
silva and no whey jose like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I thought I was the only one really annoyed with that lol. I almost never read that stuff, just scroll to the recipe. If the page takes too long to load I find another recipe lol.
Me too, I always scroll right through. And I know these people take a lot of time setting up their shots but I really only want to see one or two pictures. Maybe one of the finished dish, and another of what it looks like 'cut open' or 'dipped into' to get an idea of texture or crumb (some recipes that look great on the outside can be mush or stodge when you get inside them).
no whey jose likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page