VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Vegan for 3 months still haven't lost weight (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/193673-vegan-3-months-still-havent-lost-weight.html)

LaoTzu 10-31-2015 01:43 PM

Vegan for 3 months still haven't lost weight

Hi guys,

I have been eating 100% Vegan for 3 months now. I am a big guy, 6'6" 122kg and train 4-6 days a week powerlifting. I have a lot of extra fat I want to get rid of and I want to be as healthy as possible so I switched from eating Burger King, Cookies, Milkshakes and Pizza EVERY single day to Vegan overnight.
The problem is I still weigh 121.3 kg I haven't really dropped any weight. I am not a "Junk food Vegan" I eat predominantly vegetables and grains. I will say that I believe I may of gained muscle during this time due to increased hormone function as since eating Vegan I have had a massive increase in libido and started getting some light pimples.

I would of thought as such a drastic change is lifestyle I would of lost more fat by now. Do you think I am just being impatient or am doing something wrong?

Here is a typical day for me:
First meal: 150g Oats, 2x Banana, 1x Apple, Cinnamon, 1 tbsp Almond butter.
Second meal: 400-500g Kumera (Sweet Potato), 400-500g stir fry (cabbage, brocoli, kidney beans, carrot, pinapple, olive oil)

I usually only eat two huge meals rather then smaller ones as it suits my lifestyle better. Sometimes I will have a small snack after this.

Thanks for any help!

Sam

Friend 10-31-2015 01:56 PM

Do you drink plenty of water (just pure water)?

LaoTzu 10-31-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friend (Post 3815497)
Do you drink plenty of water (just pure water)?

Yes, I start every day with 500ml iced lemon water, then I drink NZ mineral water for the next few hours until my first meal, and I also drink 2 glasses of Yerba Mate tea each day.

Friend 10-31-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaoTzu (Post 3815481)
Hi guys,

I
Second meal: 400-500g Kumera (Sweet Potato), 400-500g stir fry (cabbage, brocoli, kidney beans, carrot, pinapple, olive oil)
Thanks for any help!

Sam, just a comment on your typical day. If it's a typical day, it does not look to me that you eat plenty of raw vegetables and green leaves. I see you eat some stir fried. It's all veggies you eat during a day? Sorry, if I am wrong and you simply did not include it in your post. You know that raw veggies/green leaves are very important; they are like "brushes" to our intestinal tract.

LaoTzu 10-31-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friend (Post 3815529)
Sam, just a comment on your typical day. If it's a typical day, it does not look to me that you eat plenty of raw vegetables and green leaves. I see you eat some stir fried. It's all veggies you eat during a day? Sorry, if I am wrong and you simply did not include it in your post. You know that raw veggies/green leaves are very important; they are like "brushes" to our intestinal tract.

Hi thanks for your reply, I don't eat as much raw vegetables as I eat cooked. I do put leafy greens like Kale and Spinach in my stirfrys as well, but I probably do not eat the volume of greens as I should. Perhaps I will increase that amount. I originally was having a fruit/green smoothie every day, which was:
1 Banana
60g Blueberry
50g Mango
*100g Kale/Spinach
40g Oats
1 cup Almond milk
20g Chia seeds
20g Linseeds

I stopped this because I started gaining weight as each smoothie was 1200-1500cals. I am unsure how important cals are when eating Vegan but I realised if I was to each all this stuff it would be very difficult so I changed to the oats and banana etc as a meal rather then a shake.

silva 10-31-2015 03:07 PM

I don;t see how that smoothie could be over 1000 cals!
It doesn't matter if you don't eat that much raw, I do like salads, but I'm not one to go more than that.

From your description-is that a whole day? Not much. I'd suggest -
http://www.sparkpeople.com/

I'm just throwing this out because it takes me time to lose, that your metabolism is changing and causing you to hold on to where you're at--I'm no nutritionist though.,

Check out this plant based members blog--
http://www.eatplant-based.com/

Naturebound 10-31-2015 06:13 PM

Your food intake doesn't seem like that much to me (and I am a small active female), but I wonder how much olive oil you are using in your stir fries? A little goes a long way there.

Do you do any sort of cardio exercise in addition to the powerlifting? Something that keeps your heart pumping at a higher rate over a sustained period of time? I think it would be tough to lose weight and powerlift/build muscle at the same time. Very tough. However, throwing in cardio might help some. When I first went vegan I was mildly underweight already and my weight plummeted very fast, but I was doing a lot of cardio related activity (cycling everywhere, running, cardio machines at the gym, hiking/canoeing etc). I have done a few weight gain programs to get to a normal weight range and when I eat to gain I always slow way down on the cardio and up the weight lifting and resistance exercise so I build some muscle.

BTW, how in the world did you have the energy to powerlift and eat such a junk food diet before? I see guys at the gym do a hard routine and then chug down snickers bars and sugary sports drinks and I wonder how much energy they have for the rest of their day.

MiNT Berry Crunch 10-31-2015 07:17 PM

I agree with some of the replies here. Your food intake doesn't seem that much to me. Imo you want to focus on athletic performance and eat whole-foods plant based to lose weight. You don't want to force weight loss by calorie restriction which sucks! It is only temporary weight loss. If you want you may want to try and follow the 80/10/10 vegan diet for energy. I feel great and I eat until I'm fully satisfied. The weight you want to lose will drop once your body adjusts to your new lifestyle. It takes time.

Sadrielle 10-31-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaoTzu (Post 3815481)
Hi guys,

I have been eating 100% Vegan for 3 months now. I am a big guy, 6'6" 122kg and train 4-6 days a week powerlifting. I have a lot of extra fat I want to get rid of and I want to be as healthy as possible so I switched from eating Burger King, Cookies, Milkshakes and Pizza EVERY single day to Vegan overnight.
The problem is I still weigh 121.3 kg I haven't really dropped any weight. I am not a "Junk food Vegan" I eat predominantly vegetables and grains. I will say that I believe I may of gained muscle during this time due to increased hormone function as since eating Vegan I have had a massive increase in libido and started getting some light pimples.

I would of thought as such a drastic change is lifestyle I would of lost more fat by now. Do you think I am just being impatient or am doing something wrong?

I usually only eat two huge meals rather then smaller ones as it suits my lifestyle better. Sometimes I will have a small snack after this.

Thanks for any help!

Sam

Are you Intermittent Fasting intentionally, or do you just have 2 meals when you can?

Are you tracking your fat percentage?

Are you tracking your body measurements?

What is the typical calorie intake for that much food? Do you keep an account on a food tracking website?

As a body builder, you know better than anyone the magic of CICO. If you're not losing weight on your current calorie intake, cut 500 calories for two weeks and see if that does something.

no whey jose 11-01-2015 09:16 AM

There's no way that smoothie is more than a few hundred cals! Are you tracking your intake using a food diary of some sort?

LaoTzu 11-02-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadrielle (Post 3815745)
Are you Intermittent Fasting intentionally, or do you just have 2 meals when you can?

Are you tracking your fat percentage?

Are you tracking your body measurements?

What is the typical calorie intake for that much food? Do you keep an account on a food tracking website?

As a body builder, you know better than anyone the magic of CICO. If you're not losing weight on your current calorie intake, cut 500 calories for two weeks and see if that does something.

Yes I am IF intentionally, it feels the best for my lifestyle etc

I do not track body fat percentage but do track measurements.

I often track my calories which are about 2600 per day, but I cannot track CICO everyday. I always get decision making fatigue after a week or two from the constant weighing everything and tracking every thing.

LaoTzu 11-02-2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3816017)
There's no way that smoothie is more than a few hundred cals! Are you tracking your intake using a food diary of some sort?

The shake is atleast 1000cal I have tracked it many times. I may of not specified everything in there, here is the exact lay out.

150-200g Banana
60g Blueberry
20g Chia
100g Kale
20g Linseed
40g Oats
250ml Almond milk
40g Almond butter
100g mango

That is over 100cal according to My Fitness Pal.

Anyways I dropped this shake completely.

LaoTzu 11-02-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naturebound (Post 3815633)
Your food intake doesn't seem like that much to me (and I am a small active female), but I wonder how much olive oil you are using in your stir fries? A little goes a long way there.

Do you do any sort of cardio exercise in addition to the powerlifting? Something that keeps your heart pumping at a higher rate over a sustained period of time? I think it would be tough to lose weight and powerlift/build muscle at the same time. Very tough. However, throwing in cardio might help some. When I first went vegan I was mildly underweight already and my weight plummeted very fast, but I was doing a lot of cardio related activity (cycling everywhere, running, cardio machines at the gym, hiking/canoeing etc). I have done a few weight gain programs to get to a normal weight range and when I eat to gain I always slow way down on the cardio and up the weight lifting and resistance exercise so I build some muscle.

BTW, how in the world did you have the energy to powerlift and eat such a junk food diet before? I see guys at the gym do a hard routine and then chug down snickers bars and sugary sports drinks and I wonder how much energy they have for the rest of their day.

I do not do cardio at the moment as I train 2 days on 1 off and each workout it very very high volume. For example I may do:
Bench 5 sets of 7
Pull up 5 sets of 7
Should press 3 sets of 10
Row 3 sets of 10
Assistance/isolation work

This takes over an hour and I am sweating with heart rate between 110 and 160 the entire time.

As for the food intake I have tracked my meals so often and i am always over 2000cal, for example yesterday:
First meal
150g Oats
2x Banana
1x Apple
50g Blueberry
450g Almond milk
100g Spinach on the side

Total Caloric intake: 1142cal

Second meal
200g Pasta
300g Sweet potato
400g mixed vegetables (carrot, green beans, brocoli)
125g Kidney beans

Total: 1198 cal

Day total: 2340cal

These are both very big meals and that is generally how I eat every day. Normalls 2200-2600cals.

With the energy I can say that I did not have anywhere near as much energy as I have now. But training is my passion so I would of done it even if I was half asleep lol

veganfitnessjunkie 11-02-2015 03:03 PM

Try measuring your waist in addition to weighing yourself. You may have increased your glycogen stores since going vegan and be carrying more water weight. Although I would also try calculating how many calories you burn and work from there. Also try doing some cardio.

LedBoots 11-02-2015 06:23 PM

Sam, imo, you need to eat more food. As a 6'6" man, 2000 calories is just a snack for someone training as hard core as you are. And forget about weighing food, that is time consuming and can become obsessive.
-----------

"According to the “Internal Society of Sports Nutrition,” powerlifters need 50 to 80 calories per kilogram, or about 23 to 36 calories per pound of body weight, each day. This means that a 180-pound powerlifter needs 4,140 to 6,480 calories and a 220-pound powerlifter may need to consume 5,060 to 7,920 calories each day.

The same study reports that strength athletes should consume about 30 percent of their calories from fat. Choose healthy fats such as vegetable oils, avocados, hummus, peanut butter, nuts and seeds." http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/prot...ters-4772.html (< not a vegetarian website).

odizzido 11-02-2015 11:18 PM

Watch your oil intake. Even what looks like a very small amount could be a ton of calories.

Thalassa4 11-06-2015 02:07 AM

You might not be eating enough. Lots of dieters experience frustration if their exercise is actually requiring more calories and their body just hangs on to the weight for dear life.

Since you actually train that hard and desire weight loss, I would recommend you talk to a vegan nutritionist, or follow one of the plans out there, such as Forks Over Knives, or read something like Vegan For Life.

I honestly have concerns about the lack of diversity in your diet, though it seems wholesome and plant based, try to switch up the beans with different types, add some different nuts or seeds, try different healthy oils, and maybe boost your metabolism by eating more frequent smaller meals. Maybe only have one huge meal at lunch or dinner, breaking everything else down into smaller portions every few hours.