Veggie dogs contain meat?! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 3 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Veggie dogs contain meat?!

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I saw this article on Huffington Post yesterday and actually got nauseous while reading it. If I'm in a rush, veggie dogs can be a simple meal to whip together quickly. After reading this, I don't think I'll be buying any veggie dogs again...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0ec0a38950dc5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Impeach the gangster

I'm a little skeptical of those reports. It's hard to imagine a company like Lightlife, which has made nothing but vegetarian products since its founding in 1979, resorting to putting meat in its products. It doesn't make sense. I have to wonder if this "report" may be some sort of smear campaign, possibly backed by the meat industry. I took a look at Clear Lab's report on their web site. They offer virtually no details about their findings, but their site very slickly designed. They obviously have a lot of Big Money behind them. I'm not sure I trust them at all. This may just be an attempt to undermine the veggiedog trade.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 PM

Interesting point. You might have just put my mind at ease for the night. I'll have to look more into it and do some research of my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Impeach the gangster

At the risk of sounding cynical, it's also possible the news outlets have been paid off to splash this story all over the media.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#5 Old 10-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Happy vegan

Didn't they also claim human DNA was found in them? I'm also really skeptical. Capstan is right and media outlets can easily swing a story whichever way they want. I've had a few people send the article to me but I don't really believe it's true.
#6 Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Tofu View Post
Didn't they also claim human DNA was found in them? I'm also really skeptical. Capstan is right and media outlets can easily swing a story whichever way they want. I've had a few people send the article to me but I don't really believe it's true.
Human DNA, sooner or later, can be found in probably every product. Many vegetables are harvested by hand. No doubt, if you look hard enough, you'll find traces of human DNA in vegetables too. This is just fear-mongering.

I looked some more at the Clear Labs' website. They adamantly refuse to reveal their findings, while reserving the right to make recommendations about what we should buy. They openly state their agenda is to promote already well-established companies. Their principal backers are 3 venture capital corporations. This isn't science. It's manipulation.

I think it's a crime the news media publishes such unsubstantiated trash.
LedBoots, leedsveg and Naturebound like this.

#7 Old 10-30-2015, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

See my post on the other thread about this issue:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21...ml#post3812081
Capstan likes this.
#8 Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Happy vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Human DNA, sooner or later, can be found in probably every product. Many vegetables are harvested by hand. No doubt, if you look hard enough, you'll find traces of human DNA in vegetables too. This is just fear-mongering.

I looked some more at the Clear Labs' website. They adamantly refuse to reveal their findings, while reserving the right to make recommendations about what we should buy. They openly state their agenda is to promote already well-established companies. Their principal backers are 3 venture capital corporations. This isn't science. It's manipulation.

I think it's a crime the news media publishes such unsubstantiated trash.
I suppose we are constantly shedding skin and so they can't protect everything from entering in food production.
#9 Old 11-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't it measured in PPM-parts per million? That isn't significant enough to bother me. Insect parts are bound to get into food, as well as an amount of hair and 'droppings'.

they have to temper all the animals slaughtered and disposed of due to e-coli or other bacteria scares with something that would you if you stopped eating meat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page