• 1 Post By Scarecrow
  • 1 Post By Scarecrow
  • 2 Post By Scarecrow
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By Scarecrow

#1 Old 10-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Travel to Poland

Hola! I know I'm not so active on here anymore, but for the first time in a long time I actually have a question!

Has anyone ever traveled to Poland, and if so, how hard is veganism there?

Specifically, we will be in Białystok and Kraków with some travel to Supraśl, for the total of a month in the summer.
Purp and leedsveg like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi River,

There is one vegan restaurant in Bialystok:

Flow Food
Malmeda 11 13, Bialystok +48883-875-149

There are 12 vegetarian / vegan restaurants near Krakow (check on http://www.happycow.net )

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Has anyone ever traveled to Poland, and if so, how hard is veganism there?
Maybe I didn't travel, but I live in Poland, so maybe I can be helpful Veganism is very hard here. First thing, veg*an restaurants tend to disappear very quickly, and informations you will find on the net could be outdated. As for regular restaurants, it's a good idea to avoid them if you can, you never know what you'll get. From my own experience, I attended some wedding lately, and they informed me they specially prepared a vegetarian dishes for me. Well, almost, I got some fried fish (salmon probably), and I guess some other surprises I didn't catch, because I was sick afterwards. So it should say it all. It's not enough when you say you don't eat meat, eggs and milk, due to strong catholic legacy, fishes (sea food generally) are not considered meat. So is lard, some traditional bread should be safe, but fancy bakery may contain it. I won't say anything about gelatin The safest option is to prepare your own food, you can easily buy fruits and vegetables, also you can buy some soya based products (but probably you should avoid soya pate, tofu will be the safest option, and you can buy 100% plant based meat looking products). If you want some more info, just PM me. Good luck, you'll need it
River and Purp like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Maybe I didn't travel, but I live in Poland, so maybe I can be helpful Veganism is very hard here. First thing, veg*an restaurants tend to disappear very quickly, and informations you will find on the net could be outdated. As for regular restaurants, it's a good idea to avoid them if you can, you never know what you'll get. From my own experience, I attended some wedding lately, and they informed me they specially prepared a vegetarian dishes for me. Well, almost, I got some fried fish (salmon probably), and I guess some other surprises I didn't catch, because I was sick afterwards. So it should say it all. It's not enough when you say you don't eat meat, eggs and milk, due to strong catholic legacy, fishes (sea food generally) are not considered meat. So is lard, some traditional bread should be safe, but fancy bakery may contain it. I won't say anything about gelatin The safest option is to prepare your own food, you can easily buy fruits and vegetables, also you can buy some soya based products (but probably you should avoid soya pate, tofu will be the safest option, and you can buy 100% plant based meat looking products). If you want some more info, just PM me. Good luck, you'll need it
Oh dear >.< this will definitely be an adventure.

For much of the time we'll be staying at the dormitories near the Bialystok University, do you know if universities typically have vegan options?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#5 Old 10-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, University! Vegan option is quite popular here, if you are able to live for a few years solely on vodka and pickled cucumbers OK, OK, I was joking... about pickled cucumbers (but avoid beer, they use fish leftovers to clarify it)

Quote:
For much of the time we'll be staying at the dormitories near the Bialystok University, do you know if universities typically have vegan options?
Typically they don't have. They usually aim at providing home-made like food, so it means a lot of meat, cheese, and eggs. There are meatless Fridays, but as I said ealier, it means you will get some fried fish instead. You can always find "frytki" (french frites or chips), just ask what oil was used to fry them, but I guess it will be hard to live on them for a month (if you're not a polish student that is. I knew someone who tried to live on olive oil solely, but even he couldn't last long). As for dormitories in Białystok, I found info that they provide only a kitchen, and you must cook for yourself. Faculties have their own lunchrooms, The Law Faculty provide some exotic food, but that's it, nothing about vegan options, so it's safe to assume they don't. And I'm not sure they are open during summer. And you definitely should avoid soups, they're mostly cooked on bones, or contain cream, and the cook can forget to mention that, and pasta contains eggs.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 10-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
#6 Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Oh, University! Vegan option is quite popular here, if you are able to live for a few years solely on vodka and pickled cucumbers OK, OK, I was joking... about pickled cucumbers (but avoid beer, they use fish leftovers to clarify it)

Typically they don't have. They usually aim at providing home-made like food, so it means a lot of meat, cheese, and eggs. There are meatless Fridays, but as I said ealier, it means you will get some fried fish instead. You can always find "frytki" (french frites or chips), just ask what oil was used to fry them, but I guess it will be hard to live on them for a month (if you're not a polish student that is. I knew someone who tried to live on olive oil solely, but even he couldn't last long). As for dormitories in Białystok, I found info that they provide only a kitchen, and you must cook for yourself. Faculties have their own lunchrooms, The Law Faculty provide some exotic food, but that's it, nothing about vegan options, so it's safe to assume they don't. And I'm not sure they are open during summer. And you definitely should avoid soups, they're mostly cooked on bones, or contain cream, and the cook can forget to mention that, and pasta contains eggs.
This is actually a law college study abroad so maybe?

It's actually a relief i might just be able to cook for myself!

If i can get potatoes, i could probably live off potatoes for a month.

Quote:
#7 Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This is actually a law college study abroad so maybe?
You're lucky, the "Law and Justice" party has won the elections few days ago, so there's a chance you'll find some law here
As for food, you can always ask about ingredients, just say you're allergic, they will treat you more seriously, and probably won't try to hide anything
Quote:

It's actually a relief i might just be able to cook for myself!

If i can get potatoes, i could probably live off potatoes for a month.
If you don't mind to cook, it won't be a problem, in the worst case you can buy some frozen vegetables mix, and fry it. You can always buy an italian spaghetti, tomatoes and garlic. Also there're different types of beans available, chickpeas and tahini (if you're lucky, if not you'll need a blender to ground sesame for yourself) for humous. You can find some soya cutlets for frying (you just need to cook them in water for a few minutes first). Onions are also available, you can eat them even raw As for potatoes, if you have access to open fire, you can prepare them in the ashes, it's quite popular here. And polish national sport is grilling, so you can grill different vegetables while visiting someone I'm sure you won't die from hunger, just don't trust anything Poles give you if you want to remain vegan
River likes this.

#8 Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

You're a huge help!

Quote:
#9 Old 10-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
You're a huge help!
Well, not quite, the most tricky part is how to avoid anything that Poles will give you But you're welcome. (One more thing, in Poland don't say "Hola" for a greeting, here you can translate it as more or less "refrain yourself from this", "behave yourself!", "it's too quickly for me" )
River likes this.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 10-28-2015 at 01:17 PM.
#10 Old 10-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Well, not quite, the most tricky part is how to avoid anything that Poles will give you But you're welcome. (One more thing, in Poland don't say "Hola" for a greeting, here you can translate it as more or less "refrain yourself from this", "behave yourself!", "it's too quickly for me" )
Ooof, really thank you for that one! Hola is nearly my standard greeting.

Quote:
#11 Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Polish is quite tricky, usually you can say "Hej" (the same as Hey), just be aware that if someone will replace "e" for "u" (sounds like oo in wood) it will be a very bad word... You can say Cześć (cze sounds like che in check but harder, ś sounds like sh, and ć like chi from chick, but both are softer), if you say cze as chi from chick it will be understood as an order to clean If you say just hello it will be understood (but not like hallo in halloween, this you should say on the phone, or if you want to bring some attention to yourself). I think the next poster wants to kill me for too much polish
River and Purp like this.

#12 Old 10-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Polish is quite tricky, usually you can say "Hej" (the same as Hey), just be aware that if someone will replace "e" for "u" (sounds like oo in wood) it will be a very bad word... You can say Cześć (cze sounds like che in check but harder, ś sounds like sh, and ć like chi from chick, but both are softer), if you say cze as chi from chick it will be understood as an order to clean If you say just hello it will be understood (but not like hallo in halloween, this you should say on the phone, or if you want to bring some attention to yourself). I think the next poster wants to kill me for too much polish
Oh, heck no. I love it and miss the Polish language a lot...I miss Poland a lot. I'm trying for everyone's sake not to be too jealous of @Scarecrow for living in Poland and @River for going to Poland.
River likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 10-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Jealous of me?

I forgot to mention that you can buy buckwheat almost everywhere, it's the best source of B12.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page