so do carbs not make people fat anymore? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 4 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By Auxin
  • 4 Post By RedTeaAddict

#1 Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 AM

so do carbs not make people fat anymore?

i always heard my whole life that carbs are the enemy! and unless you are extremely active, all the carbs that you don't burn off will get stored as fat, and you need to protein to maintain muscle mass....so with a high carb vegan diet, aren't the carbs bad? also with such low protein doesn't it make people "skinny fat"? (where you are thin, but your skin is all saggy cus no muscle mass)

can someone explain how that works? I'm going to try RT4 again today, I will eat maybe 5 bananas cus 10 makes me want to puke... and 10 dates for lunch (where in walmart do i find dates?? i cant the dates!!) and for dinner ill have pasta + sauce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Gamin,

Processed carb-rich foods are not healthy (soda, candy, etc.). However, carbohydrate-rich whole foods (beans, grains, potatoes, fruit) are healthy.

These foods are also low in calories, which is why they won't make you fat (as along as you don't prepare or eat these foods with oil, butter, or other high-calorie ingredients). For example:

1 cup of boiled pinto beans is only 245 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTY5OTYw.html

1 cup of pasta is only 174 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTY0NjQ1.html

1 medium potato is only 154 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TEzMzQwMw.html

1 large peach is only 68 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTYzNzA3.html

If you are a lightly-active person, you might need about 1800-2500 calories per day (depending on your height and gender). That gives you an idea of just how low-calorie these foods are.

Anyone can become "skinny fat" if they are not physically active. Even if you are on a high-protein diet, you can still be "skinny fat".

If you are interested in getting more protein, there are vegan foods that will supply this. Firm tofu includes 40% of its calories as protein: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4393/2 (scroll down below the video on the webpage). Tofu contains very little fiber, which might be helpful for your IBS.

Mercy For Animals has a free, well-written vegan guide. The nutrition part of the guide begins on page 7:
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-24-2015 at 07:57 AM.
#3 Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Oryzatarian

+1 for David ^, stay away from junk food.

Carbs never made people fat, fat makes people fat.
The human capacity for denovo lipogenesis (making fat from sugar) is extremely limited, as confirmed by clinical tests on human metabolism. People think carbs make them fat because 1) some author wanted to sell books and so he babbled nonsense that sold, this is quite common 2) people on radically high fat diets, consuming 40-50% of their calories from fat, dump a gallon of soda down their throats and since the body preferentially burns carbs as fuel all that excess sugar allows the body to store up the tidal wave of dietary fat for 'later'.
You dont need to believe me, just read old books with pictures. Most traditional cultures outside of the coldest regions lived on heavily carb centered diets and obesity was rare.
Attached is an example from 105 years ago in a culture where nearly everyone lived almost exclusively on rice and vegetables, with only very small quantities of meat and cooking oil. It comes from an old agronomy text filled with pictures, I cant remember one obese person in the whole book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	12313  
LedBoots, Beautiful Joe and David3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Keep Calm and Drink Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamin View Post
i always heard my whole life that carbs are the enemy! and unless you are extremely active, all the carbs that you don't burn off will get stored as fat, and you need to protein to maintain muscle mass....so with a high carb vegan diet, aren't the carbs bad? also with such low protein doesn't it make people "skinny fat"? (where you are thin, but your skin is all saggy cus no muscle mass)

can someone explain how that works? I'm going to try RT4 again today, I will eat maybe 5 bananas cus 10 makes me want to puke... and 10 dates for lunch (where in walmart do i find dates?? i cant the dates!!) and for dinner ill have pasta + sauce.
First the carb myth debunked from personal experience. I pulled my hip flexor because my former boss was too cheap to buy new/better chairs unless they were for himself or his favorites. Five to six hours of sitting in the absolute wrong position five days a week. At this time last year I was lifting 20lb kettlebells to the tune of a 5 rep HIIT circuit routine three times a week (aiming for a balanced strength/endurance fictional fitness kind of thing you would need in the military or martial arts because I'm crazy like that). The injury was so bad I had to stop lifting weights for five to six months so I could let it heal and all from cheap office chairs.

I did NOT change my diet and I could not do any strenuous physical anything

And my diet includes a lot of whole wheat bread, long grain brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. And I lost ten pounds and one inch from my waist line.

The concept of carbs leading to weight gain is an over-simplification-to-the-point-of-propaganda caused by fad diet salesmen trying to make a quick buck selling you their books and their "fad-diet-approved" snack bars that in some cases have more sugar and questionable "what the hell is that?" ingredients than a freaking Snickers. The documentary Fed Up tackles this quite well (it's on Netflix now, Hungry for Change, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and Forks Over Knives are also really great for information) and so does Mark Bittman's Vegan Before 6PM book. Processed food is loaded with sugar and the food industry is really fantastic about obscuring that fact and relabeling sugar under a good 60 different names. Excess sugar makes you gain weight and the foods with a lot of sugar also happen to be "simple carb based" which lead to the misconception of "Devil thy name is carbs."

Furthermore over processed foods destroy any and all nutrients resulting in "empty calories." Your body takes a lot more time digesting, leaving you fuller longer, and picking apart real food to break it down and extracting every little component it needs to function and is left with very little excess sugar in the end to store. Because over processed foods based in white/simple carbs (white bread/pasta/rice, pastries and the like) and jammed with a metric half ton of sugar have all the nutrition obliterated from them the body just immediately converts it to sugar and quickly has too much straight sugar, eventually is forced to turn it into fat, and makes you hungry sooner so it creates a vicious cycle of eating more and getting nothing in return. A friend of mine who is a licensed personal trainer and is studying to become a nutritionist so he can start his own fitness business put it perfectly when talking about this situation, "We eat more calories than we need yet we're starving to death."

And I don't know who told you low protein creates "skinny fat" but they need to stop watching Dr. Oz or whatever daytime publicity stuntman they're getting their information from. Skinny fat happens simply because the body stores fat in less obvious places. It's a sign of a bad diet period. Not a sign of "too much this not enough that." And the only way to truly identify is someone is "skinny fat" is through a Dexa scan.

Second, real food is not just giant blocks of singular components like "carbs" "protein" "fat" or the latest craze "fiber." This is yet another oversimplification the fad diet and food industry benefit from by making consumers run around from one new product to the next. Protein is the worst oversimplification I have ever seen in my time researching proper eating habits. Protein is a construct of amino acids, and your body can create all the amino acids it needs to carry on except nine of them. Those nine are called essential amino acids and the misnamed "proteins" your body needs to survive. And you can get every single one of them from vegan sources. Chances are if you look up the individual amino acids and what foods have what kind in them you'll realize you're getting all the "protein" you need without even trying. One is a "complete protein" meaning it contains significant amounts of all nine amino acids and it's considered a "filthy evil" carb among fad diet cultists, and that is quinoa.

But to illustrate my point about food being far more complex than the industry wants us to believe lets take the humble avocado for an example. The only thing you'll ever hear about avocados is they are a "good fat" meaning they're rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat which lowers bad cholesterol and helps the heart. What you won't commonly hear is avocados also have Phenylalanine, Tryptophan, Valine (three of the nine essential amino acids meaning it has "protein"), rich in vitamin E which emerging research shows reduces the risk of common cancers, and Luetein a nutrient necessary to protect vision health.

Now consider what else goes into a basic guacamole recipe, red onion, garlic, black pepper, lime juice, and cilantro and the fact you eat it on corn chips (just plain old corn chips, no bells and whistles special flavorings, low sodium, the kind you can read the ingredient list and recognize all the words) or a homemade whole wheat pita bread, or topping a sandwich or burrito and you'll realize the list of nutrients will just get longer, and longer, and longer and your body will be happier, healthier, and as a wonderful side effect the proper weight as a result.

So to wrap up this long winded nerd rant, this "too little protein too much carbs" thing is a marketing ploy. Not real science. Go enjoy some whole wheat pasta and spinach without fear

Last edited by RedTeaAddict; 10-24-2015 at 11:31 AM.
#5 Old 10-24-2015, 09:56 AM

There is no reason to be afraid of healthy carbs from whole foods. Or healthy fats.

Carbs from fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes are not associated with weight gain. Neither are fats from nuts, seeds and avocados.

That said, refined carbohydrates (white rice, white flour) are problematic. They are stripped of many of their micronutrients (having some added back through fortification). The fiber is also removed which results in blood sugar spikes. This is also the issue with fruit juices and added sugars.

When it comes to protein, current guidelines recommend getting a minimum of 46 g for women/ 56 for men. This comes to around 10% of calories.

Being "skinny fat" probably has more to do with being sedentary or not doing any resistance exercise.

A few guidelines for a healthy vegan diet:

http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12...commendations/
http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/2009_AD...tion_paper.pdf
#6 Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM

cool, thanks for all the info guys
#7 Old 10-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Gamin, I'm not a nutritional expert but I think it depends on the carb. Carbs like fruit and whole grains are fine. I think it is the junk food and empty carbs that are bad.
#8 Old 10-25-2015, 06:19 AM

People who try to demonize an entire category of nutrients are usually selling you something.

That said, it's advisable not to load up on simple sugars and carbs, but even then, combining them with healthy foods to up your calories or give a boost of energy is not the end of the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page