Need help, please! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jocelyn3113

#1 Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Banned

Need help, please!

Hello guys. I need help here. Today i just started feeling tired gradually through the day. I am concerned that i might have a iron deficiency maybe? I don't eat a lot of different foods i think, and my veganism is kind of more about eliminating meat and dairy than it is to dive into and buying more healthy foods, which is also where i need some guidance. Can someone present me a diet plan of some sort? What do you eat in a day getting sure to get all of the essential nutrients and in the appropriate doses.

What i eat in a day typically: Morning: I usually drink a cup of water first thing, then maybe a piece of fruit before going to school. Lunch: Typically i eat on more piece of fruit and then a peanut butter sandwich. Late lunch: At the moment a smoothie with 2 bananas and a bunch of frozen strawberries. Dinner: usually some rice or pasta with some different vegetables ( Always mushrooms and sweetpeppers, sometimes others aswell ) Throghout late lunch and to the time i go to bed i always snack nuts.

I am also very skinny and could use some tips to gain weight on the vegan diet :-) ty for taking the time to read, peace :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Vegan since 1991

You may not be getting enough calories. Also, you are not eating according to the dietary recommendations of mainstream vegan organizations; you should include beans, lentils, and/or soy foods in your diet.

Even if you are not physically active, you likely need about 2000 calories per day. Here's an approximate calorie breakdown of the meals you described in your post:

Morning: I usually drink a cup of water first thing, then maybe a piece of fruit before going to school.
Water: 0 calories
1 piece of fruit (assume apple): about 80 calories

Lunch: Typically i eat on more piece of fruit and then a peanut butter sandwich.
1 piece of fruit (assume apple): about 80 calories
Peanut butter sandwich: 160 calories (bread) + 185-370 calories (peanut butter)

Late lunch: At the moment a smoothie with 2 bananas and a bunch of frozen strawberries.
2 bananas: 200 calories total
2 cups of strawberries: about 100 calories total

Dinner: usually some rice or pasta with some different vegetables (always mushrooms and sweet peppers, and sometimes others as well)
2 cups of rice: about 432 calories
1 cup mushrooms: 15 calories
1 sweet pepper: 30 calories

Throughout late lunch and to the time i go to bed i always snack nuts.
It's hard to estimate calories here, because nuts are very high in calories (700-1000 calories per cup), and so small differences in your daily nut consumption make a big difference in your daily calorie intake.

I estimate that you're eating about 1,280 to 1,467 calories per day, plus the calories from the nuts you eat (700-1000 calories per cup). If you're eating a full cup of nuts per day, you may be getting 2,000 calories.

However, if you are at all physically active (walking, bicycling, physical labor, or sports), then 2,000 calories won't be enough for you. You can use this website to estimate your daily calories needs (be sure to choose the "weight gain" option): http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...hould-you-eat/ . Then, just remember this calorie rule-of-thumb:

1 cup of beans or lentils is about 240 calories
1 cup of grains or pasta is about 200 calories
1 cup of fresh (not dried) fruit is 40-100 calories
1 cup of non-starchy vegetables is 5-40 calories
1 cup of nuts or seeds is 700-1000 calories

Lastly, you might find it useful to refer to a vegan nutrition guide, such as this one from Mercy For Animals. The nutrition part of the guide begins on page 7:
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-22-2015 at 10:54 AM.
#3 Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Banned

Thank you both for answering. However i forgot to mention that i do take supplements for a lot of different vitamins of minerals just for the safety i guess. It has got 100% of daily preferences in a lot of those vitamins and minerals you mentioned i was deficient in, nutritioncurated. What's your view on supplements? Should i try to get my vitamins and minerals purely from my diet? Is it bad for me? it sounds like you know what you're talking about. :--)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Golly, that's a hell of a lot of sugar for most of your day.... No veggies at all until dinner???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#5 Old 10-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Golly, that's a hell of a lot of sugar for most of your day.... No veggies at all until dinner???
Not really, any good ideas to getting down some greens before dinner aswell?
#6 Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian5116 View Post
Hello guys. I need help here. Today i just started feeling tired gradually through the day. I am concerned that i might have a iron deficiency maybe? I don't eat a lot of different foods i think, and my veganism is kind of more about eliminating meat and dairy than it is to dive into and buying more healthy foods, which is also where i need some guidance. Can someone present me a diet plan of some sort? What do you eat in a day getting sure to get all of the essential nutrients and in the appropriate doses.

What i eat in a day typically: Morning: I usually drink a cup of water first thing, then maybe a piece of fruit before going to school. Lunch: Typically i eat on more piece of fruit and then a peanut butter sandwich. Late lunch: At the moment a smoothie with 2 bananas and a bunch of frozen strawberries. Dinner: usually some rice or pasta with some different vegetables ( Always mushrooms and sweetpeppers, sometimes others aswell ) Throghout late lunch and to the time i go to bed i always snack nuts.

I am also very skinny and could use some tips to gain weight on the vegan diet :-) ty for taking the time to read, peace :-)
Well, the first thing that occurs to me is that you might just be tired today! It's only been a today that you've been feeling under the weather? You might have not slept well or have picked up a minor bug.

But since you're looking to gain weight and you're definitely missing protein, iron, nutrients, and calories with what you're doing now, here is how I would personally tweak it. The others have already given you great advice.

Breakfast (pre school): old fashioned oatmeal (bonus: good source of iron!) cooked in the microwave with soy milk (only takes 3-4 minutes), stir in some nuts or trail mix (my trail mix has nuts, raisins, craisins, and dark chocolate which makes my oatmeal like a treat for breakfast), then have your piece of fruit--if you make it an orange the vitamin C will help you absorb the iron in the oats and the soy milk.

Lunch: peanut butter sandwich, different fruit (preferably non citrus and a different color), baby carrots and hummus or guacamole, or make a refried bean burrito using fat free refried beans and a flour tortilla, and top with lettuce, salsa, and guacamole and have your fruit with that. Or make a taco salad, and get in some vegetables.

Lunch 2: make your smoothie, and toss in some baby spinach and tofu, or blend in some oatmeal Oatmeal will change the texture and make it thicker, though. The spinach will make it look odd, but you shouldn't taste it.

Dinner: make pasta, toss some swiss chard in for the last 2 minutes of boiling time, toss both the chard and the pasta with tomato sauce and your veggies. Even better, sautee the chard with olive oil and garlic and have it on the side or make a salad of spinach, romaine, any veggies you like, and olive oil and white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Toss some canned chickpeas or kidney beans into your salad for extra protein and calories. You can also make a simple main dish salad of rice, canned black beans (rinse and drain them), corn, and salsa. Or make fried rice with tofu, soy sauce, and whatever vegetables you like (peas and carrots are classic and you can get them frozen and already cut up for you, or you can buy stir fry veggies in a bag, or just cut up your own...asparagus is especially wonderful this way.)

It seems like you are able to do the most cooking at dinner time, so experiment with quinoa and visit this thread for some more ideas:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11...tein-food.html

I hope this helps you! You might also check the "what I ate vegan today" thread.

Last edited by Blue Gingham; 10-22-2015 at 11:50 AM.
#7 Old 10-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Hey, they don't need to be green to be good for ya! ;-) Take along a bag of sliced red bell pepper & baby carrots to dip in low-sodium hummus! Mmmm... **drool**

Red bell peppers contain almost 300% of your daily vitamin C intake (which is needed for proper iron absorption), are great sources of vitamin B6, vitamin A, magnesium, & lycopene.

Also wanted to add this link again re: Too many bananas & feeling like crap. LOL http://www.med-health.net/Too-Many-Bananas.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 10-22-2015 at 11:56 AM.
#8 Old 10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Beginner

What if you try MyFitness Pal? You can choose goals (add or gain weight) and track your food. On top of tracking calories it also tracks nutrients which is extremely helpful for me during the vegetarian transition.
MadamSarcastra likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page