18Likes
  • 5 Post By runnerveggie
  • 3 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 4 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 4 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 AM

are saralee plain bagels vegan?

hey guys, just got back from walmart. got some kettle brand salt n pepper chips (non gmo too!), super pretzels, a package of romaine salad mix, and some wishbone italian dressing.

really wanted to get some bagels but i saw all the bagels have monoglyceride...but they did not have di glyceride, so does that mean they are vegan? i did a google search and saw that they said sara lee plain bagels are vegan but i also saw that they had monoglyceride on the ingredients...so are they vegan or not?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Vegan since 1991

From the Sara Lee website:

"Where do the mono and diglycerides come from in Sara Lee® frozen products?
If the product is Kosher, it is beef or vegetable, not pork"

Link: http://saraleedesserts.com/about-us/faq/

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 10-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
From the Sara Lee website:

"Where do the mono and diglycerides come from in Sara Lee® frozen products?
If the product is Kosher, it is beef or vegetable, not pork"

Link: http://saraleedesserts.com/about-us/faq/
so does that mean it is vegan? if the product is kosher it is beef or vegetable, not pork - but beef isn't vegan. i don't see a kosher symbol on the bagels, so does that mean it can be beef, vegetable, or pork? does anybody know if the sara lee plain bagels are vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Vegan since 1991

They may or may not be vegan, depending on how Sara Lee happens to be sourcing its glyceride ingredients. It's safest to assume that Sara Lee bagels are not vegan.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#5 Old 10-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Beginner

i would also be very keen to find out if they are full of gmo's which is a good assumption.

Dog, guts and guns..
#6 Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 AM

i saw on the peta website that thomas bagles are ok even though they have monoglycerine in the ingredients?

http://www.peta.org/living/food/baked-goods/

so is it ok if i buy some thomas bagels and eat them with peanut butter? im so hungry :'(

also i found an old post on this forum where they say sara lee bagels are vegan...do u think maybe sara lee is using a different recipe now so that they are not vegan?

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21...tml#post305839

Last edited by Gamin; 10-18-2015 at 08:49 AM.
#7 Old 10-18-2015, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Gamin - if it's any consolation, I don't worry about the source of these trace ingredients like mono- and diglycerides. The biggest impact will be made by avoiding obvious meat, dairy and egg ingredients (not tiny amounts of questionable ingredients). So, I would buy whichever bagels are available and affordable for you.
#8 Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
Gamin - if it's any consolation, I don't worry about the source of these trace ingredients like mono- and diglycerides. The biggest impact will be made by avoiding obvious meat, dairy and egg ingredients (not tiny amounts of questionable ingredients). So, I would buy whichever bagels are available and affordable for you.
thanks! i really need some toasted bagels with peanut butter...feel like im gonna die...feel soooo dizzy and my entire body feels weak...if i walk from my computer to my bed i feel like im just gonna faint
#9 Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Gamin, you need to eat a whole lot more.
LedBoots, David3 and no whey jose like this.
#10 Old 10-18-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Gamin, you need to eat a whole lot more.
yeah im trying, just nothing seems appetizing anymore lol. im gonna try to take a nap then get some bagels and also maybe some plain quaker instant oatmeal and mix it with almond milk and microwave it, hopefully that will be good. i bought a ton of bananas yesterday but after eating 4 just the thought of bananas makes me wanna puke :S or maybe quaker instant raisin and spice cus thats the only one peta lists as vegan.
#11 Old 10-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Vegan since 1991

Gamin,

Not eating enough will only make your depression worse! Please seek professional help ASAP!

_________

#12 Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Gamin,

Not eating enough will only make your depression worse! Please seek professional help ASAP!
I spent 7 years going in circles in the mental health system as a drugged up cash cow who could barely speak or think clearly while constantly being ridiculed, insulted and put down by therapists, nurses and doctors. I am very lucky to have been able to get out of that and even though I still suffer from depression, I am miles ahead of where I was. Just because I have a mental illness does not mean I am incapable of making decisions. You are right though, not eating enough can make a person go completely insane, a lot of people who are locked up right now may very well have been free today if they just took some time to rest and eat and think clearly. However, the mental health system did not become an 88 billion dollar industry by helping people.

Last edited by Gamin; 10-18-2015 at 01:52 PM.
#13 Old 10-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Gamin, just take your conversion to veganism step by step, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Eat the bagel you have with lots of peanut butter. Sourcing the trace ingredients is time consuming with little effect on animal slaughter or your health. For now, learn how to fix some simple stuff that is healthy and filling, like a baked potato with beans, or rice and beans, bagel with peanut butter (oh you have that one already), oatmeal with soy milk and some sweet fruit, stir fry veggies and tofu or beans (frozen veggies are easy and healthy) over rice or pita. Pita with smushed up canned beans and tomato. Add whatever spices, sauces, dressings, etc that you like to all this stuff so it tastes good to you.

Most new vegans don't eat enough, it is hard to know what and how to eat! Just make sure there is no direct meat, dairy, eggs, or honey, and don't worry about trace ingredients or "produced in a factory that uses dairy".

<3
#14 Old 10-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Gamin, I know what it's like to not be able to get food down because of depression. Like you, I find peanut butter sandwiches one of the things I am most likely to be able to eat when the depression is bad. I usually make those peanut butter and jam sandwiches - the extra calories from the jam help, if you can get it down.

I'm rooting for you.

In the meantime, as ledboots said, don't sweat the small stuff, like trace ingredients.
#15 Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Garmin,

I just wanted to share a link that you might find helpful since you shop at Walmart. Here is a compiled list of foods labeled "vegan" at Walmart according to the Vegetarian Resource Group:

http://www.vrg.org/blog/2013/05/06/p...an-in-walmart/

Also, if you can find them, I believe Thomas plain style bagels are vegan. The monoglycerides and diglycerides in their products are vegetable sourced according to them:

http://www.thomasbreads.com/faqs

I hope this helps! Also, I LOVE Annie's Natural's Goddess Dressing (occasionally I buy the light version, though mostly I make my own dressing). It's not as cheap as other commercial dressings, but it's vegan and really very tasty. I saw that this dressing was on the list in the link above.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page