• 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By cherries

#1 Old 10-10-2015, 08:36 AM
No flesh since 99'

Put off my breakfast!

Today is my anniversary Hubby worked the grave shift last night though so he won't be up for a few more hours. I plan to make a nice breakfast (not totally raw, but it's a special occasion). Going to do a tofu scramble, country potatoes, carob donuts and fresh pineapple/strawberry/orange juice

I ate some fruit to tie me over and went to the grocery store first thing this morning to get some tofu, as I don't normally have it. The aisle with the tofu is pretty close to the meat counter. Holy crap! I am not generally 'sensitive' to the smell cooked meat, but the were putting the raw meat/fish or whatever dead things in the showcases and I got a whiff and almost lost it. What an absolutely VILE and nauseatingly smelling thing! I am not normally around raw meats and it's been a long time since I've smelled it. How can people think it smells good enough to want to ingest? I was so repulsed I could barely grab my tofu and run!!! Just goes to show how an untainted body really reacts to food we aren't meant to eat!
silva, cherries and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Captain

That sounds delicious. Good on you for choosing to be a compassionate vegan. We may be a minority compared to the population in general, but we are growing.
#3 Old 10-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Captain

We (vegans and vegetarians) are a minority. VB won't let me edit!
Kiwibird08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Impeach the gangster

Happy Versey!
Kiwibird08 likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 10-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Happy anniversery!!!!

I had just come from a grocery with the same awful experience! It's a local store that highly touts itself for organics and healthy eating, and promotes every plant based (and other health conscious) events. They have the Just Mayo next to the eggs and dairy, the vegan refrigerated foods like tofu and tempeh across from raw fish, and from there to the checkout all you can smell is cooked meat!!! I only went for tofu, and had to put my t-shirt over my nose!
I have already emailed them after my first time there. this time telling them it will be my last.

Thank goodness for my Aldi, being less than mile from home was a selling point when I moved!. They sell meat, but I don't even have to know

I hope you two have a wonderful day! Breakfast sounds good!
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#6 Old 10-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Happy anniversary! Sorry about your experience at the store. I don't understand how anyone can find that stuff appealing, either. Your breakfast, on the other hand, sounds delicious!
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#7 Old 10-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Happy Anniversary!

I told our local Whole Foods manager once that the whole back of the store reeked of dead fish, and asked why was the fish right next to the organic produce . It has been better lately, not so stinky.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#8 Old 10-11-2015, 03:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Happy anniversary!

I can't stand to go anywhere near the meat aisle and I am fortunate the stores I shop at allow me to avoid it. I don't like that my plant milks are right in with the dairy section though. :/ If there is too much meat or other vile stuff leaking at the checkout conveyer belt, I will ask the clerk to wipe it down and clean it first before I set my stuff down. They have always been great about doing this.

At work people cook cheese (either in the breakroom or bring it to their cubicles nearby) and that is a smell that so repulses me I have literally gagged and once almost vomited. It makes me completely lose my appetite. Admittedly the smell of cooked chicken is not so bad for me but the mental image of the life and horrible death of that chicken keeps the smell from being too pleasant. Other cooked meat smells I can't stand at all either.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 10-11-2015, 05:03 AM
No flesh since 99'

Smell is a big part of how we know before we eat it if food is good or not. I, personally, do not feel raw meat is an odor any human can possibly be naturally attracted too like "hey that smells like food". To me it was like "hey don't eat that or you'll be sorry". Cooked meat, to me, doesn't smell quite as offensive (not great but not so repulsive it makes me gag). I wonder if meat eaters are just numb to the stench of the raw flesh or something?
LedBoots likes this.
#10 Old 10-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Happy Anniversary. Sounds like my last shopping trip when I got home (I live with omnis) I walked in and asked what stinks. I looked around my dad had made a omelet.
LedBoots and Kiwibird08 like this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page