I need encouragement - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Capstan

#1 Old 10-09-2015, 02:15 PM

I need encouragement

Hi all, I'm brand new here and am hoping to find some support and or advice. I've been vegan for about 6 years, vegetarian for over 25. In the last 2 years I've had chronic diarrhea, which took me to a functional medicine doc. I am experiencing fat malabsorbtion, and defecient in vitamin b12, d, and zinc. Despite supplementing with mega doses I'm just not absorbing these nutrients. For the past 9 months I've been treating leaky gut to overcome the malabsorbtion. My doc and nutritionist have both been very supportive and encouraging of my vegan diet, but my health is going downhill quickly, I have no energy at all, I'm tired just from brushing my hair. I eat a very clean and healthy diet, following my nutritionist advice as well as highost quality supplements and daily vitamin/mineral shakes. Here's the thing, my body has been seriously craving fish, like it's all I can think about. I haven't had fish since I was 11 years old (I'm 40 now) I take omega 3 supps, my iron and iodine are fine. What am I missing, where is this craving coming from? I just want to feel good. I'm a yoga teacher and can't even lead my classes, I just have to walk around and talk because I'm so exhausted. I have been an animal rights advocate almost my entire life and feel like such a fraud now that I'm craving fish. I don't even have to energy to volunteer at the farm sanctuary anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry! What does your nutritionist and doc say? How do you even know you crave fish if you haven't had it in so long? I can't imagine that- maybe like pica, where people crave non-foods?
If you're being monitored and they approve your vegan diet I wouldnt think you're missing anything. Enough calories?
What do they say about your malabsorbsion?
If you can eat things like Gardein they make delicious fishless fillets!
#3 Old 10-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Honestly, I'm probably not eating enough calories, at this point cooking is such a difficult task. I will force myself to step it up! My husband is omnivore and he went tuna fishing, when he brought home his catch, I damn near forgot myself and dove in, have been thinking about it ever since. It's almost like an magnetic force toward his freezer! I can't have gardein because I'm gluten free, but I have found some lovely yakon based "seafood" but it doesn't stop the craving. It's like not the taste I want, it's like my body is saying this is what you need, this will make you feel better. But I know everything we need can be found in the garden, I just can figure out where I'm lacking. I have a doc appointment on the 20th and will definitely talk about it then, I'm afraid they're going to start encouraging animal foods. they're supportive and encouraging...but not vegan. The malnutrition is coming from the chronic diarrhea, I seriously have not had a solid bm in over 2 years. Tons of tests done but still haven't found cause. My hubby thinks it's just too much fiber. Are there any plant based foods that are low fiber? Thanks so much for your reply, your gentle words are more helpful than you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliyogini View Post
I can't have gardein because I'm gluten free,
Are you celiac
#5 Old 10-09-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post
Are you celiac
Blood tests were negative for celiac, Dr isn't convinced though, considering biopsy (but I'm trying to avoid that) I'm gluten free to try to heal leaky gut. It's been about 9 months or so off gluten
#6 Old 10-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Impeach the gangster

I don't mean to sound flippant, but when I crave fish, it's really the malt vinegar they used to serve with it that I'm really craving. I'm learning that exploring herbs and spices goes a long way toward keeping me interested in food. Flavor is important. Most of my life, I heard that song, "Parsley, sage, rosemary, and tyme," but only recently discovered what tyme tastes like. I love it! Sage too. I'm gluten-free too, so I know how that complicates things. Are you getting enough iodine?
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#7 Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Are you receiving B12 injections? Many people (omnis as well as vegans) cannot absorb B12 in the gut and must have it intramuscularly.

Are you underweight?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
#8 Old 10-10-2015, 12:54 AM

Hi, chronic dirrohea really isn't good and you don't need me to tell you that! I'm a big believer in intuition and if your body seems to know what you need, and you can't get what you need in any other way, then perhaps its worth trying some fish. I know this won't be a popular reply but I know people who simply can't tolerate loads of beans etc without their body struggling to digest them. Animal rights are important, but so is your health. It won't help the animals if you are really sick. I'm not saying fish is the only answer, but if you try everything else and your health does not imprpve, it may be worth seriously considering fish.

On a vegan note, try sticking to 'drier' foods for a while such as tofu and soya mince. Gluten free porridge for breakfast. Cut down on beans, nuts and seeds if you can.

I'm sorry you feel so ill. I know what its like to be really unwell for a long time and it is important to consider all options in such a scenario.
#9 Old 10-10-2015, 02:03 PM

Hi So sorry for your troubles!! I have digestive issues and this Fodmap diet has helped!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1444510963550.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	12033  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page