• 1 Post By Gita
  • 1 Post By Lymo
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By Marjoram
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88

#1 Old 10-05-2015, 07:57 PM

Just need some love...

I need to talk to someone. I don't have any vegan friends. I went vegan back in March, about 5 months ago. It has become something I'm incredibly passionate about... Animal rights etc... Anyways, I live in Texas. Not only in Texas, but I love in Fort Worth, also know as "cow town". It's a city and culture based around animal cruelty... (The slaughter of animals, and the rodeo is huge here.) None of my friends understand my passion towards animal equality... And they joke about it to me, which breaks my heart... But I can't say anything about it. My boyfriend, who is a meat eater, has been very supportive of my new lifestyle, however tonight he admitted that "it's been really hard" since I went vegan. I'm just having a hard time being surrounded by people that don't understand my perception of things... I feel like I need hugs from other vegans... I'm tired of being the odd one out and being picked on...

>Natalie "crash" Stenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 AM

Omggg I feel so much like you right now!! I transitioned to veganism the same time as you also! I'm from Wisconsin surrounded by cheese heads Lol!! I would very much like to have a vegan pal who I can msg about our vegan progress and advice! Good luck on your journey and maybe we can be buddies
#3 Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Son of Jupiter

Send a message via Skype™ to Linky
I wonder if there is some kind of Vegan Skype chat or something.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum, Nat. You'll find a lot of like-minded people on this forum. A lot. But it must be hard living in the center of all that. Here-

Life sucks without laughter so do that more often.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Banned

*thumpthumpthumpthumpthump!*

*somersaults backwards down stairs*

*raises hands up from floor*

"Feeling the way you do is really hard. Kick his ass."

*hugs*

*somersaults forwards up stairs*

*pmuhtpmuhtpmuhtpmuhtpmuht!*
#5 Old 10-06-2015, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I live out in the Tejas area too and you have a better shot at meeting vegetarians than I do. You are approx. 36 minutes from Dallas, with a huge Vegetarian Meet-Up, and many fine Veggie restaurants. Obviously, you are a Vegan, not a Vegetarian, but you might find people who are Vegans or want to become. My advice is to join that meet-up, go to dinner with these fine folks on Wednesday once a month, bring some business cards (cards with your name and e-mail for the rest of us) and meet and greet. I live in a tiny town of 35000 and the only thing vegan I can get in this town is a plate of beans and a rude comment.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCrashBurner View Post
I need to talk to someone. I don't have any vegan friends. I went vegan back in March, about 5 months ago. It has become something I'm incredibly passionate about... Animal rights etc... Anyways, I live in Texas. Not only in Texas, but I love in Fort Worth, also know as "cow town". It's a city and culture based around animal cruelty... (The slaughter of animals, and the rodeo is huge here.) None of my friends understand my passion towards animal equality... And they joke about it to me, which breaks my heart... But I can't say anything about it. My boyfriend, who is a meat eater, has been very supportive of my new lifestyle, however tonight he admitted that "it's been really hard" since I went vegan. I'm just having a hard time being surrounded by people that don't understand my perception of things... I feel like I need hugs from other vegans... I'm tired of being the odd one out and being picked on...

>Natalie "crash" Stenger
Hugs! My only vegan friend just went away so I've been feeling pretty alone in this meat eating world also?been relying on the interwebz heavily for support as well. It gets better!
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Nat,

There is a huge vegan / raw food social group in Fort Worth: http://www.meetup.com/The-Fort-Worth...-Meetup-Group/ . They have regular get-togethers, including one coming up on October 17th (see the link).
Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#8 Old 10-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
Well, I live out in the Tejas area too and you have a better shot at meeting vegetarians than I do. You are approx. 36 minutes from Dallas, with a huge Vegetarian Meet-Up, and many fine Veggie restaurants. Obviously, you are a Vegan, not a Vegetarian, but you might find people who are Vegans or want to become. My advice is to join that meet-up, go to dinner with these fine folks on Wednesday once a month, bring some business cards (cards with your name and e-mail for the rest of us) and meet and greet. I live in a tiny town of 35000 and the only thing vegan I can get in this town is a plate of beans and a rude comment.

Here you are, you wonderful person. Eat and enjoy.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My boyfriend, who is a meat eater, has been very supportive of my new lifestyle, however tonight he admitted that "it's been really hard" since I went vegan. I'm just having a hard time being surrounded by people that don't understand my perception of things... I feel like I need hugs from other vegans... I'm tired of being the odd one out and being picked on...

>Natalie "crash" Stenger
HUGZ!

But how has it been hard for your boy friend, it's you the vegan, or did me meant coping with your emotions? Being the odd one is great, it means you ain't a puppet of society with all the bad that comes with it, be proud that your oddity is one of compassion! Nothing negative in that, lift that chin up! As for being picked on, your friends should know better. People that loved you should never do something that is upsetting you and you should make things clear with them. A little teasing is fine, it's part of having friends, but if it becomes a kind of bullying it's wrong. If they are real friends they will understand. Make sure you are also respecting their choice as meat eaters though. Being pushy brings nothing good most of the time.
Purp likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#10 Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
Make sure you are also respecting their choice as meat eaters though.
*coughs loudly*
#11 Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Beginner

We all make changes and they impact the people around us. He has been supportive which is great. And i need a support group as well. My fam has been tolerant. If you need to vent or anything just let me know.

http://venusvegan.wordpress.com
#12 Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I" know how you feel I live in small town where hunting, fishing and eating animal products are the norm.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sorry wrong thread, can't delete, carry on.
#14 Old 10-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised there are so many vegans on this forum.
#15 Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Here you are, you wonderful person. Eat and enjoy.

Darn, you, for posting those pictures! I'm having major cravings, now, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#16 Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
I live in a tiny town of 35000 and the only thing vegan I can get in this town is a plate of beans and a rude comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
Darn, you, for posting those pictures! I'm having major cravings, now, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not my fault where @Gita lives and how people treat her.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
I need to talk to someone. I don't have any vegan friends. I went vegan back in March, about 5 months ago. It has become something I'm incredibly passionate about... Animal rights etc... Anyways, I live in Texas. Not only in Texas, but I love in Fort Worth, also know as "cow town". It's a city and culture based around animal cruelty... (The slaughter of animals, and the rodeo is huge here.)
I lived not far from you, in a North Dallas suburb called Carrollton, for years before moving back home to Southern California. I feel for you!

Hang in there.
cherries likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page