cholesterol levels - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Auxin

#1 Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM

cholesterol levels

Hi everyone!

I had bloodwork done at work for a health program and my results came back saying that I need to see a physician asap due to extremely low LDL cholesterol of 29. (reference range is 60-129) I am a nurse and I was not aware that your "bad cholesterol" (LDL) could be "too low", only HDL. Can anyone shed some light on this? I asked a nurse practitioner who I work with and she said maybe I'm not getting enough protein. I looked through some literature and the affects of low LDL are simply not well researched. Any opinions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Vegan since 1991

If you were advised to see a physician ASAP, then it sounds like good advice to do so.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Oryzatarian

I agree, ignore the nurse that thinks you have a ham deficiency and see a doctor.
It might be nothing, but then again it might be the first hint to an undiagnosed cancer.
Best to check it out.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Maybe talk to a doc or nutritionist?
#5 Old 10-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylou View Post
Hi everyone!

I had bloodwork done at work for a health program and my results came back saying that I need to see a physician asap due to extremely low LDL cholesterol of 29. (reference range is 60-129) I am a nurse and I was not aware that your "bad cholesterol" (LDL) could be "too low", only HDL. Can anyone shed some light on this? I asked a nurse practitioner who I work with and she said maybe I'm not getting enough protein. I looked through some literature and the affects of low LDL are simply not well researched. Any opinions would be appreciated!
My guess is they want to rule out any liver problems. Also, people with histories of eating disorders sometimes have very low total cholesterol and/or LDLs. (Also a nurse, welcome )

Edit: What is your total cholesterol?
#6 Old 10-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd go to the Doctor to rule out any health problems.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Beginner

Not "Normal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylou View Post
Hi everyone!

I think that what these people are trying to tell you is that you're not "normal;" you're not like them! My doctor told me my phosphate levels were low and I simply told her I don't drink coca cola, eat meat, or any of the other dietary sources of phosphate, but that I would start eating nuts and beans. She was satisfied.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page