Where can I find vegan shoes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#1 Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Captain

Unhappy Where can I find vegan shoes?

My uniform is currently very uncomfortable. My shoes and belt are both made of cheap plastic, meaning they are susceptible to damages, wear and tear easily. Where, online, can I get faux leather shoes and belt?

And I prefer masculine dress shoes, but it seem 99% of them online are made of leather. It's just as frustrating as trying to find marshmallows without gelatine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are some places you could look. I don't know what country you live in so some of these might not apply to you. Some companies ship internationally though.

http://www.jivdaya.org/a_shoppers_gu...ternative.html (scroll down for an extensive list of stores that sell vegan/vegetarian footware; also belts and so on are listed at the bottom)

http://www.zappos.com/vegan

http://www.mooshoes.com/

I have had to order a majority of my vegan shoes online and have them shipped and thankfully they have all fit nicely. I usually research what I am after online, and when I find something I read reviews and base my order on that. I have a pair of Vegan Garmont Kiowa hiking boots I bought in 2011 (they are still going strong after numerous rigorous hikes and canoe camping and snowshoeing) and many people had reviewed that they run small so buy a size up. So that is what I did. I have a pair of Wicked Hemp shoes also I bought online and use for light hikes or casual and work. And Five and Dime vegan rock shoes I actually use for mountain biking. Otherwise, all my other shoes I have bought locally at places like Kohls, Payless, etc.

I only have one pair of faux leather shoes from Route 66 (all manmade materials) and they have lasted me several years but admittedly I don't wear them everyday, more like a few times each month. I have had more success using other materials for vegan belts, such as canvas material. I don't require leather for my job though. I would look into one of the stores above such as moo shoes and see what you can find there. Those places tend to specialize in faux leather.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 10-04-2015, 03:52 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Pilot, I am coincidently at the airport right now. In the US, Payless has some comfortable men's leather free dress shoes on the cheap.

Peta has this list, some look $$$ but also some of these look pretty nice.
http://www.peta.org/living/for-men/v...ractical-kind/

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

If you live in Canada, we have this webstore: https://niceshoes.ca/catalog/mens-footwear/dressy

I'm eyeing the vegan unisex safety footwear, been saving to replace my leather boots (they are still good, planning of giving them away).

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#5 Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 AM
Captain

Thank you to all. I really like the Grosby slip-on shoe, and it is a reasonable price. However, do you think a lady pilot can pull it off? It may look strange on me 0.0
#6 Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Captain

#7 Old 10-04-2015, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Well they look a bit unisex I would say so would be nice. I googled women low heels laced shoes and came up with this (non vegan) just to compare. So yes, men dress shoes can look nice on a woman too, see how they look alike? http://www.amazon.com/Ollio-Womens-C.../dp/B00FBPJWTY

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#8 Old 10-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotInCommand View Post
If the sizing works for you, I would go for it. Remember that men's sizes are larger -- a US men's 9 is approximately equivalent to a US women's 11. I think oxford-type shoes are nice for both men and women, and would look great whether your uniform has pants or a skirt.

Would these vegan Doc Marten's work for you? http://www.drmartens.com/us/Men%2525...461/p/14046001
#9 Old 10-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Who are you trying to impress? Meat eaters?
#10 Old 10-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

It's easy to find man made uppers, but it's things like the glue used that would qualify as vegan shoes. Just saying. Of course I'd also consider the ethics of production as so many rely on sweat shop labor in countries without oversite.

Shoes are really important, and of course you can them online, but you'll want to check the return policy. This site does offer free returns within 90 days- check the terms before buying--

http://www.planetshoes.com/storeitem...s%20slip%20ons
They have good deals on professional looking ones too!

and Mooshoes-
http://www.mooshoes.com/womens-shoes.html
#11 Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Captain

I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just don't want to wear a man's shoe. I would prefer shoes with a masculine touch, but not exactly feminine. Being a pilot, I would want others to take me seriously. Of course, you don't want to look too overly masculine and even worse, too feminine. I perceive aviation to be gender neutral and equal. Both genders are capable of being good pilots. Because once I get in that cockpit, there is no gender roles. There is only "captain" and "copilot". Being and looking professional is the first step towards providing passengers with comfort and trust.
Naturebound likes this.
#12 Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Captain

And I certainly do not care whether my passengers are meat eaters or not. My role imposes responsibility on my part, and these passengers are entrusting their lives onto me. I am grateful that they trust me, and in return, I would provide them optimum safety and comfort from the unpredictable weather, which can sometimes be unforgiving and require a diversion, which is what the fixed reserve of fuel is for. Being vegetarian is a personal choice, however, I would be happier if people would open their eyes and know where their meat comes from. But as far as I am concerned, for my career, I don't care whether someone is a vegetarian or not.
Naturebound likes this.
#13 Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just don't want to wear a man's shoe.
What did men's shoes do to you?

Seriously though, I'd like to share a secret with you:

*looks around cautiously and whispers*

They're not really men's shoes, because anyone can wear them!
#14 Old 10-06-2015, 09:17 PM

Mooshoes is a good a one. They've got some great quality vegan leather belts too from Truth Belts and some others.
#15 Old 10-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Captain

What I find frustrating back when I was vegan was the fact how milk-free chocolate, ice cream, etc was all too expensive. A vegetarian soy dog is triple the price of real meat. Even the shoes themselves are so much more expensive than leather. I am sure the materials used to produce these products are so much less, and they want to make as much revenue from us vegetarians or vegans as much as possible because there aren't a lot of us around! The prices are ridiculous. Would have to make do with my plastic shoes and belt I have at the moment
#16 Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What I find frustrating back when I was vegan was the fact how milk-free chocolate, ice cream, etc was all too expensive. A vegetarian soy dog is triple the price of real meat. Even the shoes themselves are so much more expensive than leather. I am sure the materials used to produce these products are so much less, and they want to make as much revenue from us vegetarians or vegans as much as possible because there aren't a lot of us around! The prices are ridiculous. Would have to make do with my plastic shoes and belt I have at the moment
This is something I too find irritating - companies know they have a captive market, and take advantage of it with their pricing.

I like Veganaise more than Just Mayo, but I'm buying Just Mayo exclusively because they are pricing themselves to be competitive with nonvegan products, instead of gouging vegans, and that's the only way there will ever be a significant reduction in the use of animal products.
#17 Old 10-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotInCommand
What I find frustrating back when I was vegan was the fact how milk-free chocolate, ice cream, etc was all too expensive. A vegetarian soy dog is triple the price of real meat. Even the shoes themselves are so much more expensive than leather. I am sure the materials used to produce these products are so much less, and they want to make as much revenue from us vegetarians or vegans as much as possible because there aren't a lot of us around!
Be fair, they can't make a profit if what small number of products they do get into the grocery store don't even sell. They need every purchase upscaled by an average that sufficiently compensates for expected losses such as unsold mushroom burgers. Prices should drop with demand.
LedBoots likes this.
#18 Old 10-08-2015, 04:48 AM
Beginner

I found some "all man made materials" steel toe work boots at the local Kmart here in the USA. Out of 10-15 different boot selections they were the only style without any leather used. At $34 I thought it was a great deal. Just by taking the time to browse I have noticed there are usually vegan friendly options (even though few) in the vast majority of mainstream stores and the prices of these items are not any different than the animal made counterpart.
Pirate Huntress and LedBoots like this.
#19 Old 10-12-2015, 08:01 PM

I simply can't find non-leather shoes that fit me. I have weird hobbit feet and wear a 7.5 (5E)... yeah 5... frickin'... E To put that in perspective, the average shoe is a "B" width, Wide width shoes are a "C", XW is "D"... take that on out to EEEEE. Yeah, I know, I'm a freak. I just try to pick the ones that have the least amount of leather and wear them until they fall apart. I have two pairs right now, sandals and sneakers. If anyone can help me find vegan shoes that will fit, I would be eternally grateful!
#20 Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 AM

Shouldn't this be in the Vegan support forum?
#21 Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_falafel View Post
Shouldn't this be in the Vegan support forum?
Yes.
#22 Old 10-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Mod Note: This thread has been moved from the Vegetarian support forum to the Vegan support forum. Carry on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 10-13-2015, 07:43 PM

joe rock

You could try shoesforcrews.com. They have some vegan shoes that are not to much$$
Hope this helps.
#24 Old 10-14-2015, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rock View Post
You could try shoesforcrews.com. They have some vegan shoes that are not to much$$
Hope this helps.
I just checked out that site and they do have a check box for a vegan shoe search option. It looks like they have a decent selection of vegan work style shoes and boots, and reasonable cost. Thanks for sharing!

#25 Old 10-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rock View Post
Hope this helps.
Oh yeah! My son got a pair for kitchen work. They're very non slip and good looking. They only lasted a couple months for him, but he's very hard on shoes and probably wore them for everything!

Crocs have really expanded their line too

I tried on a pair of Dansko like ledboots pic. Very comfortable! I know I see them online on sale
#26 Old 10-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I have now twice fallen and broken bones in Crocs on damp grass/earth (fell more than twice, but twice broke bones, the second time requiring surgery and pins), so no more Crocs for me, evr. I consider them a hazard on wet surfaces.

Thanks, Joe Rock, for the link!

A number of online shoe retailers (zappos.com and 6 p.m., for U.S. based examples) have a search box for "vegan." You can also search Amazon for vegan shoes, as well as eBay. (In the latter cases, you still need to read the product descriptions carefully.

Doc Martens makes a pair of unisex, dressy looking, tie up shoes that would work well with a pilot's uniform if you wear trousers.

Sanita is a shoe line very much like Dansko, and they, like Dansko, have a small vegan line. Merrell and Jambu both have some certified vegan shoes also. All four manufacturers make very comfortable shoes that are highly thought of by people who are on their feet all day.

Nonleather shoes are easy to find in pretty much every shoe store, but they may or may not be vegan, depending on the glues used.
#27 Old 10-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are the vegan Doc Martens I mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Gib...an+shoes+women
#28 Old 10-15-2015, 12:20 PM
androgyne | vegan

Quote:
My uniform is currently very uncomfortable. My shoes and belt are both made of cheap plastic, meaning they are susceptible to damages, wear and tear easily. Where, online, can I get faux leather shoes and belt?

And I prefer masculine dress shoes, but it seem 99% of them online are made of leather. It's just as frustrating as trying to find marshmallows without gelatine.
If I was you I would try to speak with a shoemaker that seems a decent person. I bet a serious man knowing his job, and having good enough decency to understand your morality would not try to charge you more than it does the work for making a normal pair of shoes, and with using a more cheaper material than leather, it will cost you probably the same as a brand new fancy leather pilot shoes in a fancy aviators shop. And you can even choose the textile to be put into your shoes, I bet you need some personalized features for more comfort and a good 'breathing' etc, as your job probably requires a lot of time spent sitting in the same place not moving your feet etc.
#29 Old 10-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris gabi View Post
If I was you I would try to speak with a shoemaker that seems a decent person. I bet a serious man knowing his job, and having good enough decency to understand your morality would not try to charge you more than it does the work for making a normal pair of shoes, and with using a more cheaper material than leather, it will cost you probably the same as a brand new fancy leather pilot shoes in a fancy aviators shop. And you can even choose the textile to be put into your shoes, I bet you need some personalized features for more comfort and a good 'breathing' etc, as your job probably requires a lot of time spent sitting in the same place not moving your feet etc.
Custom made shoes are very, very expensive. This explains why: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2012/...o-bespoke.html
#30 Old 10-15-2015, 02:25 PM
androgyne | vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Custom made shoes are very, very expensive. This explains why: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2012/...o-bespoke.html
I totally agree with you, but I was referring she could try to speak with a normal shoemaker, not a top brand, a normal small manufacturer, which work's price could in the worst case equalize the price of a normal leather shoes bought from a fancy shop.

Of course are plenty shoemakers who charge enormously, just like clothes makers are on a variety too, I work in the dressmaking industry and I know how it works, to charge for a name..
She wouldn't look for a brand, but for shop where she will be charged only for the work, and the materials.

And I bet are plenty of private small shops that ache for clients. Also, by making a pair of custom shoes she can discuss for a proper material to be chosen, to offer her good comfort and durability, and of course a nice finish with the perfect desired shape. Than buying some faux cheap ones in a shop that last only month,s and feel like cardboard.

I don't know.., again, that is what I'd do, if I were in her situation that requires a more difficult approach. Because in general, as a normal person who travels from home to job and back and rarely to a dinner in town, I just buy cheap shoes and change them at months, because I change my clothes often too, while I make them myself, but with the shoes I probably spend much more money than if I'd buy only a very few expensive pairs to wear them years. Who knows what is really good or bad to do with money for to save more than waste, in accountancy terms.. I've never been so good at making profitable deals..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page