Help...Non-alergic alternatives - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By David3

#1 Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 PM

Unhappy Help...Non-alergic alternatives

I have celiac disease and many food allergies such as all legumes, melons, nuts, kale, shellfish, mustard, oats, corn. I am not allergic to any meat!! When I was born, i couldn't keep anything down so the doctors made a very thick pablum which contained wheat, oats, corn, bone meal, yeast and alfalfa. I blame my allergies from being exposed to that as an infant. I'm 67 now, have heart disease and very much want to stick to a vegan diet I started a week ago. However, I don't know where I'm going to get enough protein. I have trouble with dark leafy greens but can eat cooked chard. Is this even going to be possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

What kinds of plant foods did you eat as an omnivore?

Some plant proteins I can think of that are not on your allergy list:

gluten free whole grains (or flour)
quinoa
millet
wild or brown rice
sorghum
teff
buckwheat groats or flour

Vegetables/fruits:

What about root vegetables like turnips, rutabaga, carrots, beets, jicama?
Broccoli, asparagus, Brussel sprouts
mushrooms (surprisingly have a lot of protein in them)
celery
onions
apples, oranges, lemons/juice, pears, bananas, berries, pineapple, mango...

What about seeds? Sunflower, pumpkin, chia, hemp, flaxseed? There are also seed butters like sunflower butter that is really delicious! It is similar to peanut butter and many Celiacs and those with allergies to peanuts/legumes use it in place of peanut butter.

There are also rice, hemp, or quinoa based protein powders for vegans. And rice and flaxseed milks on the market as well as hemp milk.

What have you been eating so far in your week as a vegan?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 10-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, I would not attempt this without getting your medical professionals involved. Can you see a registered dietitian? Your restrictions will make it very difficult to achieve a nutritionally complete vegan diet, particularly being allergic to all legumes and nuts, which will severely limit your protein sources.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Well if he is not allergic to quinoa, buckwheat, hempseed, seitan, tempeh and soy, chia, flax, spirulina, nutritional yeast etc. he can easily gets his complete proteins, plus proteins in veggies too. Chard is good.

I think it's feasable but make sure to use something like cron-o-meter to make sure what you eat covers your nutrients need.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#5 Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
Well if he is not allergic to quinoa, buckwheat, hempseed, seitan, tempeh and soy, chia, flax, spirulina, nutritional yeast etc. he can easily gets his complete proteins, plus proteins in veggies too. Chard is good.

I think it's feasable but make sure to use something like cron-o-meter to make sure what you eat covers your nutrients need.
Celiac automatically rules out seitan. Soy is a legume so that's out, and tempeh beign fermented soy probably also, as is spirulina

I also want to say see a dietician, but I don't know how much I'd trust that advice! It would nice to know one that isn't biased--See next from david3--I don't know

There are vegans who follow paleo type diets that do well. Here's a couple sites to check--
http://happyherbivore.com/2010/12/vegan-paleo/
I love the happyherbivore and find her quite knowledgable about diet

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-paleo-diet/

and this guy surprised me as one who advocated fish before-
http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/11/07/pegan-paleo-vegan/

I'd suggest finding a premixed protein supplement that agrees with you, at least until you get your diet on track
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by silva; 10-04-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: for registared dietician advice
#6 Old 10-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBeaner View Post
I have celiac disease and many food allergies such as all legumes, melons, nuts, kale, shellfish, mustard, oats, corn. I am not allergic to any meat!! When I was born, i couldn't keep anything down so the doctors made a very thick pablum which contained wheat, oats, corn, bone meal, yeast and alfalfa. I blame my allergies from being exposed to that as an infant. I'm 67 now, have heart disease and very much want to stick to a vegan diet I started a week ago. However, I don't know where I'm going to get enough protein. I have trouble with dark leafy greens but can eat cooked chard. Is this even going to be possible?

I recommend that you make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian. A Registered Dietitian is a professional with a university degree in human nutrition. They can help you to plan a vegan diet that excludes your problem foods.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through this website: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx .
silva, runnerveggie and LedBoots like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 10-04-2015 at 09:48 AM.
#7 Old 10-09-2015, 01:17 PM

I have colitis, a sister disease to celiac and I'm 52, I was just diagnosed in august. I follow a meat free, dairy free, gluten free, onion and garlic free diet for my health. I try to stick to the FODMAP diet my gastro doctor recommended, it helps you find out what foods too avoid. There is a wonderful group for gluten free vegans on facebook and some great recipes on pinterest. It is possible to life a gluten free vegan life but it is challenging especially out in the world. Some days I think that it would be easier to just stay home, safer anyway. It can be a dangerous world for us. I don't know what is harder being vegan or being gluten free. But I guess you already know that. Please try the facebook group they have really helped me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page