When people talk about meat around you... - VeggieBoards

When people talk about meat around you...

hannahmarie17
08:33 PM 09-30-2015
Hey,

I'm just curious what other vegans do when meat-eaters start talking about meat or meat preparation in front of them. Usually I can try and tune it out when they're talking about some of their favorite seafoods or types of red meat, etc. However, when it gets into talking about how to kill lobster to prepare it or how to hunt or cut up animals, I have to walk away.

Do any of you speak up and ask them to change the topic? If so, what do you say? What do you do if you're in a place where you can't exactly excuse yourself, and you don't want to make a scene?

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LedBoots's Avatar LedBoots
09:32 PM 09-30-2015
I usually don't say anything, but sometimes I get annoyed. Recently people were eating lobster in front of me, and I said, "A lobster lives about 50 years in the wild."

I tend toward passive aggression, I'm afraid.
Naturebound's Avatar Naturebound
03:38 AM 10-01-2015
I tend to also tune it out, but if it gets too graphic I usually find a way to excuse myself from the company. I make it a rule not to confront people about this stuff while they are eating, but I have brought up the subject of animal cruelty and veganism to friends, family etc when not at the dinner table or when sharing my vegan food with them. Mostly they respect my wishes and don't talk about this stuff around me, but there is one coworker who seems to be antivegan who's life revolves around meat and she gladly talks about it around me, and likes to make snide comments about my vegan diet that I do correct her on. Sighs. I find it mind boggling how rude people can be when they know how passionate a person is on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Marjoram's Avatar Marjoram
07:20 AM 10-01-2015
When they just talk about taste I have no problem, they are talking about a meal. If they start on something too graphic or upsetting for me, I calmly remind them that talking about religion, politics or animal cruelty always makes for a heated conversation. For me it's like telling profanities or making fun of religion in front of a believer. If they keep on, they asked for it and I'll throw some facts at them and "threaten" to have them watch Earthlings lol. They usually get the message and tone it down. I mean, I would not do that with strangers, but family and friends they know you, they are supposed to respect you as you respect them back! I choose my friends carefully so respect is always there, even if none of them are vegan or even vegetarian (wish I had one though).
no whey jose's Avatar no whey jose
07:35 AM 10-01-2015
I generally laugh it off unless it's something particularly graphic or gruesome, or if the person is doing it intentionally to get a rise out of me.
bldudas
11:19 AM 10-01-2015
I try to ignore it, but when people do it intentionally, I tell them about conditions animals live in, or how they live in the wild.
Purp's Avatar Purp
12:03 AM 10-02-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
When they just talk about taste I have no problem, they are talking about a meal. If they start on something too graphic or upsetting for me, I calmly remind them that talking about religion, politics or animal cruelty always makes for a heated conversation. For me it's like telling profanities or making fun of religion in front of a believer. If they keep on, they asked for it and I'll throw some facts at them and "threaten" to have them watch Earthlings lol. They usually get the message and tone it down. I mean, I would not do that with strangers, but family and friends they know you, they are supposed to respect you as you respect them back! I choose my friends carefully so respect is always there, even if none of them are vegan or even vegetarian (wish I had one though).
Show them "Meet Your Meat" on your phone. That'll teach them.
Lymo
11:36 AM 10-04-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I usually don't say anything, but sometimes I get annoyed. Recently people were eating lobster in front of me, and I said, "A lobster lives about 50 years in the wild."

I tend toward passive aggression, I'm afraid.
I'm passive aggressive about it also. Yesterday my boyfriend ordered pork at a restaurant and I'm like "so you ordered a dead toddler"?
cherries's Avatar cherries
09:58 PM 10-09-2015
I try to ignore them. But when they start trying to talk to me about it I just say I don't eat meat.
Reply Up