Don't be a junk food vegan: keep a whole food plant based diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 333Likes

#1 Old 09-19-2015, 06:13 AM

Don't be a junk food vegan: keep a whole food plant based diet

Hi!

I know it is really tempting, a lot easier, it looks delicious and it tastes good but stay away from junk and processed food!

A healthier diet is the high carb low fat whole food plant based vegan diet. A lot of fruit and vegetables, some beans and legumes.

In my new video I explain why junk food is bad for your health!

Best,
the Advocate of Growth

MY Channel about fitness, lifestyle, veganism, self-improvement.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

If you choose a vegan lifestyle for health benefit yes, totally agree. I'm an ethical vegan, the health part is a bonus, so I'll eat junk food once in a while without feeling bad about it. I really don't eat enough of processed food to have an impact on my body, my blood tests are always great. But in general, reducing junk food is a very good idea I agree.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#3 Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 AM

AOG,

Thanks for the friendly reminder. It would be a shame to squander the many health benefits of a vegan lifestyle by eating a lot of junk food. Because my inspiration for adopting a vegan diet were the "hard core" health advocates such as Drs. Dean Ornish, Caldwell Esselstyn, John McDougall, Joel Fuhrman, etc., I rapidly phased out almost all junk food during my transition. For the most part, I don't have any cravings for junk food any more--they really don't appeal to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post
If you choose a vegan lifestyle for health benefit yes, totally agree. I'm an ethical vegan, the health part is a bonus, so I'll eat junk food once in a while without feeling bad about it. I really don't eat enough of processed food to have an impact on my body, my blood tests are always great. But in general, reducing junk food is a very good idea I agree.
This
silva likes this.
#5 Old 09-20-2015, 03:13 PM

Vegan Junk food

I'm almost 50 years old, I like my junk food thanks At least it's still vegan and the only person I'm hurting is myself
Scorpius, silva, Purp and 5 others like this.
#6 Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenault View Post
I'm almost 50 years old, I like my junk food thanks At least it's still vegan and the only person I'm hurting is myself
I'm with you! And over 50
Advocating a healthy diet is the same whether your speaking to someone vegan or omni, or in between.
Even if you eat Gardein, Daiya and chips on a daily basis you're vegan.

Don't confuse animal advocacy with health
#7 Old 09-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

A reason some people fail with a vegetarian or vegan diet is because they not only don't feel noticeable benefits but sometimes feel even worse for one reason or another (such as energy addiction fulfillment from animal products) and also there is sometimes other hardships involved such as peer pressure and convenience. But if a person really notices a beneficial feeling that inspires, such as an improvement and healing of energy issues etc. then they can more easily retain to change. (For some people caring about the animals isn't enough). Junk food is a hindrance. Whether we are only ethical vegans or not, it is a good idea to understand the health aspects of being vegan. And this understanding can be for the sake of the animals also!

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#8 Old 09-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'm with you! And over 50
Advocating a healthy diet is the same whether your speaking to someone vegan or omni, or in between.
Even if you eat Gardein, Daiya and chips on a daily basis you're vegan.

Don't confuse animal advocacy with health
This.

I don't eat much processed food (I prefer the taste of homemade pastry, bread, etc.), but I do love good baked goods and other foods, the primary purpose of eating which is taste, not health.

I understand the argument that the health benefits of eating a well balanced vegan diet is a selling point for veganism, but then, a well balanced omni diet is no less healthy than a well balanced vegan diet.
Purp, biloutre and ellyray like this.
#9 Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
This.

I don't eat much processed food (I prefer the taste of homemade pastry, bread, etc.), but I do love good baked goods and other foods, the primary purpose of eating which is taste, not health.

I understand the argument that the health benefits of eating a well balanced vegan diet is a selling point for veganism, but then, a well balanced omni diet is no less healthy than a well balanced vegan diet.
Meat and dairy is very unhealthy and if the primary purpose of eating is for taste and not health then why bother eating good food?
Purp likes this.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

#10 Old 09-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthios View Post
Meat and dairy is very unhealthy and if the primary purpose of eating is for taste and not health then why bother eating good food?
I don't think that you will find an unbiased source that meat and dairy, if eaten in moderation and as part of a balanced diet, is unhealthy. What's unhealthy is eating massive amounts of it, as most Americans do.

The classic Mediterranean diet has been proven to be extremely healthy, and it includes meat and dairy, in moderation.

The primary purpose of eating is obviously health, since the body can't survive without nutrition, just as it can't survive without air.

But, if a system were developed which allowed people to get the exact optimal mix of nutrients delivered directly to their digestive systems without ever passing by their taste buds, I doubt very many people would choose that option rather than eating. Most people do enjoy the taste or food and seek out food that tastes good to them. It's one of the few dependable pleasures in life, and also has many social connotations.

Ignoring all of that isn't going to gain many long term converts to veganism.
silva and Naturebound like this.
#11 Old 09-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I don't think that you will find an unbiased source that meat and dairy, if eaten in moderation and as part of a balanced diet, is unhealthy. What's unhealthy is eating massive amounts of it, as most Americans do.
Unbiased? No not in a pro-meat-eating society but yes It can find it in some Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim etc societies and other communities even in America.

[/QUOTE]The classic Mediterranean diet has been proven to be extremely healthy, and it includes meat and dairy, in moderation.[/QUOTE]

Proven by who - meat-eaters of course? And to what comparison?

[/QUOTE]The primary purpose of eating is obviously health, since the body can't survive without nutrition, just as it can't survive without air.

[/QUOTE]But, if a system were developed which allowed people to get the exact optimal mix of nutrients delivered directly to their digestive systems without ever passing by their taste buds, I doubt very many people would choose that option rather than eating. Most people do enjoy the taste or food and seek out food that tastes good to them. It's one of the few dependable pleasures in life, and also has many social connotations. [/QUOTE]

Yes but is taste the primary purpose? consider the importance of having a healthy body and mind!

[/QUOTE]Ignoring all of that isn't going to gain many long term converts to veganism.[/QUOTE]

Very many vegans are vegan because meat and dairy are very unhealthy substances to consume.

Last edited by Enthios; 09-21-2015 at 12:37 PM.
#12 Old 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM
No flesh since 99'

"Junk food" is a nice treat, but regardless if it's vegan or omni junk food, the name says it all- it's JUNK. Veganism is touted as healthier, but rarely is it paired with information on what foods to eat to be healthy. All those fake meats have labels like "less fat than a beef burger" or whatever and it indicates it is a healthy option when really it is still a processed food of low nutritional value. Many vegans become sickly and unhealthy because all they eat is junk food and blame veganism, not their personal "take" on it. It's one of the biggest reasons vegans go back to meat.

I think educating people that there IS unhealthy vegan food and if they eat too much they will become unhealthy can only be a positive thing. Then it is up to them what foods they choose to eat, but at least they *know* if they choose processed junk food over fruits and veg they may not reap all the benefits of a healthy plant based diet.
#13 Old 09-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
"Junk food" is a nice treat, but regardless if it's vegan or omni junk food, the name says it all- it's JUNK. Veganism is touted as healthier, but rarely is it paired with information on what foods to eat to be healthy. All those fake meats have labels like "less fat than a beef burger" or whatever and it indicates it is a healthy option when really it is still a processed food of low nutritional value. Many vegans become sickly and unhealthy because all they eat is junk food and blame veganism, not their personal "take" on it. It's one of the biggest reasons vegans go back to meat.

I think educating people that there IS unhealthy vegan food and if they eat too much they will become unhealthy can only be a positive thing. Then it is up to them what foods they choose to eat, but at least they *know* if they choose processed junk food over fruits and veg they may not reap all the benefits of a healthy plant based diet.
Are you saying the meat alternatives are worse for you than real hamburger? It seems to me (and Dr. Barnard and Furhman...) that while eating processed foods certainly i inferior to whole plant foods, they're still better than animal meat.

I've yet to meet anyone who went back to meat for being sickly. A few used that as excuse in the beginning, only to admit that they just missed their old diet. that they caved in to what was easy. They mostly ate whole foods, salads veggies, and admitted they did feel better. It seemed to me if they could a GOOD veggie burger and fries when out they could have sustained being veg'n.
My experience is people go veg with the ideal of health far more than ethics, ethics and foods they enjoyed could have made a difference
I personally don't think I'd have lasted if I ate as strictly as many do here. I don't go to restaurants or ever fast food so my Boca chik'n, Gardien fishless, TJ soy chorizo, does a great job replacing that.

I've had many people tell me their mother/fathers doctors recommended they eat vegan for thier health issues. I could not convince them that it wasn't vegan but plant based. That vegan excludes animal exploitation and that doesnt affect health
#14 Old 09-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are a couple of blog posts from Ginny Messina, a vegan registered dietitian, on this topic:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2015/03/pi...an-health.html
http://www.theveganrd.com/2015/07/pr...l-matters.html

While getting a large proportion of your calories from nutrient poor, calorie rich foods like packaged cookies or potato chips is not a good idea, many foods that could be considered "processed" actually have nutritional benefits and can certainly have a place in a healthy vegan diet. Eating healthy is not a moral issue, and no one even knows which diet is optimal for human health.

It sure would be nice if vegans focused on promoting veganism to others, volunteering at farm sanctuaries, or doing any number of useful and productive things rather than nitpicking other vegans' behaviors.
#15 Old 09-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots of negative issues related to supporting peoples bad habits including junk food. To encourage better diet is always a good thing. If you have bad habits and are happy with them that is your business but it is not a good thing to consider that we can't or shouldn't strive to do better.
Lots of people eat meat because they don't believe a vegan diet provides enough nutrition necessary for abundant energy and it may not if it consists of lots of junk food.

#16 Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Very many vegans are vegan because meat and dairy are very unhealthy substances to consume.
These "vegans" of whom you speak may be eating a vegan diet, which is different from being vegan; being vegan encompasses a lot more than what one eats - it's all about minimizing non-human animal suffering and exploitation. Any health benefits to being vegan are ancillary to the purpose of avoiding non-human animal exploitation and suffering.
silva, Purp, LedBoots and 2 others like this.
#17 Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
These "vegans" of whom you speak may be eating a vegan diet, which is different from being vegan; being vegan encompasses a lot more than what one eats - it's all about minimizing non-human animal suffering and exploitation. Any health benefits to being vegan are ancillary to the purpose of avoiding non-human animal exploitation and suffering.
Me and many other vegans stopped eating animal products because they are not good food to eat for the sake of our health. Vegans can be vegan without caring a bit about animal welfare.

#18 Old 09-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Vegans can be vegan without caring a bit about animal welfare.
Of course, just like:

Catholics can have abortions
Humanitarians can fund slave labor
Child advocates can abuse children
Drug enforcement agents can take pay off from drug lords
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#19 Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

If a person doesn't consume animal products then they are vegan. We don't have to care about animals.

#20 Old 09-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If a person doesn't consume animal products then they are vegan. We don't have to care about animals.
Does calling yourself vegan make you feel cooler than strict vegetarian? Which is what someone who doesn't consume animal products is, honestly, called
#21 Old 09-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

A vegetarian can eat dairy - considered vegetarian. Vegan cannot consume dairy (animal product) and still be considered vegan.

#22 Old 09-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Me and many other vegans stopped eating animal products because they are not good food to eat for the sake of our health. Vegans can be vegan without caring a bit about animal welfare.
That means you eat a plant based diet, or alternatively, are a strict vegetarian. "Vegan", by definition, means someone who cares enough about nonhuman animals to avoid inflicting suffering upon them and avoid exploiting them. It's about so much more than what you eat.

Quote:
Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.
https://www.vegansociety.com/try-veg...ition-veganism

Last edited by Beautiful Joe; 09-21-2015 at 06:12 PM.
#23 Old 09-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A vegetarian can eat dairy - considered vegetarian. Vegan cannot consume dairy (animal product) and still be considered vegan.
Just saying vegetarian can include eggs or dairy
Strict vegetarian means a diet free of animal products
Plant based is the new phrase for people who are strict vegetarian and assumes health reasons
no whey jose and ellyray like this.
#24 Old 09-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Does calling yourself vegan make you feel cooler than strict vegetarian? Which is what someone who doesn't consume animal products is, honestly, called
I guess you would be called honestly inaccurate.

#25 Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Just saying vegetarian can include eggs or dairy
Strict vegetarian means a diet free of animal products
Plant based is the new phrase for people who are strict vegetarian and assumes health reasons
Or just plain inaccurate.

#26 Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Wrong you are. Strict vegetarian eats no meat which includes eggs also. But can eat milk products.

#27 Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM

Oh for petes sakes! and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Who cares what you call yourself as long as you aren't eating animal products? I'm too old for this bs!
Purp and Shallot like this.
#28 Old 09-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiesgirl View Post
Oh for petes sakes! and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Who cares what you call yourself as long as you aren't eating animal products? I'm too old for this bs!
I won't stand for being told I'm not vegan.
Purp likes this.

#29 Old 09-21-2015, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Wrong you are. Strict vegetarian eats no meat which includes eggs also. But can eat milk products.
Quote:
Your mis-information is sad.
Oh, for crying out loud. How many cites to how many sources do you need before you realize that your definition is just that - yours - as opposed to the generally accepted definition.

Here's another link you can use, if you care to educate yourself, instead of insulting people:

Quote:
strict vegetarian
Contents [hide]
1 English
1.1 Noun
1.2 Adjective
1.3 Usage notes
English[edit]
Noun[edit]
strict vegetarian ‎(plural strict vegetarians)

A person who excludes all animal products from their diet, including animal flesh, dairy, eggs, and honey.  [quotations ▼]
Adjective[edit]
strict vegetarian ‎(not comparable)

A diet which excludes all animal products, including animal flesh, dairy, eggs, and honey.
Usage notes[edit]
Sometimes distinguished from vegan on grounds of motivation, veganism typically being inspired by support for animal rights.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/strict_vegetarian
#30 Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I got the definition of strict vegetarian wrong but nothing else, it is the same as vegan.

Tags
food , health , junk , processed , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page