Crazy Hormones??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 PM

Question Crazy Hormones???

Good evening, everyone. I just joined veggieboards today in an effort to discover why I am losing my mind. I went vegetarian back in July and transitioned to Vegan (aside from a couple accidents) about a month ago. I have had very irregular monthly cycles from the time Mother Nature first paid me a visit at the age of 12, and it became a real problem after a terrible experience with Yaz (a birth control pill for those who may not know). The doctors told me I would have to have my gallbladder removed, and, long story short, I told them no and went with homeopathic means and still have my gallbladder and have had no issues with it since. But, my cycles went from every month and a half to two months to every 2-3 months, and then I got pregnant and gave birth to my son two and a half years ago, roughly. Since, my cycles have not regulated, and have actually gotten even WORSE. They come anywhere from 3-6 months apart. That is, until I dropped meat. Over the past 3 months of being vegetarian/vegan, my cycles are roughly 30-34 days apart. Awesome! However, this time around, as of this last week, I feel like I am bipolar. Today was the worst. This morning, I got irritated with my mom (we own a business together) and the rest of the afternoon into the evening, I was mad, seriously angry. Then, this evening, my step father took my son for the night (another long story but I didn't get to give him a real "see you later" hug and kiss) and blubbered for about an hour. Uncontrollably. I have a copper IUD which I plan to have removed and my husband is going to have a vasectomy, mostly for health concerns related to the IUD. But, I don't understand why I feel like I need to be in a mental hospital. Is it because I am no longer ingesting all the hormones from animal products? I have suffered with anxiety and depression my entire life and after my son was born it intensified, but I have been able to "deal with it" for the most part. Today, however, I felt absolutely out of control. I have never felt this way in relation to anger or sadness, but I have with my anxiety quite a few times. Should I attribute this to ridding myself of toxins and artificial hormones? Or am I just legitimately crazy? Any ideas would be appreciated. Apologies for the rather chaotic nature of this post, it has been a very, very long and stressful day. I appreciate your understanding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Impeach the gangster

Hi Capricorn. First, welcome to VeggieBoards. Second, I'm sorry to hear you've been under a lot of stress. Third, my congratulations to you for saying "no" to the surgeons, about your gallbladder. I recently had to tell a urologist to go to blazes, for wanting to do surgery on me for what turned out to be a simple bacterial infection that was easily cleared up with antibiotics. I've come to have a healthy disrespect for the medical profession, and their knife-happy approach to good health.

I seriously doubt your diet is responsible for any mood swings you may be feeling. You've already learned some of the physical benefits of a meat-free diet. That said, I'd like to remind you that, while you're welcome to discuss your issues here, VB is not a medical forum, and our members, for the most part, are not doctors. So if you're feeling your emotions are getting the better of you, you may want to consider seeing a qualified professional about it. (But not a surgeon! )

Out of curiosity, do you have any hobbies? Is there anything you like to do, just for yourself, and just for the fun of it? Sometimes, taking some time off, and letting the rest of the world turn without you, can go a long way toward restoring mood.

Again, welcome to VeggieBoards, and I hope you're smiling soon!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 09-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Welcome and congrats on going vegan! I'm sorry you are suffering but I'm glad you are also seeing benefits. Since there have been such drastic changes in your cycles and your mood I also think you should talk to a health care provider. Have your mood changes occurred around the right time for PMS/PMT? If so I have some ideas. Calcium, magnesium, the B vitamins, and I think omega-3 fatty acids can help with PMS; do you think that you might be missing out on any of these nutrients now that you are veg*n? Also, have you increased your consumption of soy or any other type of food in particular? Soy can potentially affect the cycle, for better or for worse.

Hope you find some relief soon.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the boards! I'm no chemist but I doubt hormones in meat would affect your anxiety and depression. They affect growth rate but I don't read anything on psychological issues. Maybe you are very stressed lately, that would have your anxiety peak up like crazy, even can cause hallucinations. Find an activity to help reduce your stress, even a brisk walk for an hour is awesome, no need to go to a yoga class. Don't worry crazyness is not that you just need to relax and let go and it will be better, it worked for me anyway.

Changing your lifestyle/diet is stressful for the mind, there is a lot going at the same time. Plus your daily life and everything that comes with it. Get some rest, make sure you are eating balanced meals and make some time for yourself alone.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#5 Old 09-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Capricorn. Sorry you are going through a hard time.

Are you sure you are eating enough calories? Getting sleep? At any rate, I would go see a doctor and figure out what is up. <3

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Tags
anger , anxiety , depression , hormones , sadness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page