New here please help? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By rosebery2

#1 Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM

New here please help?

Hi guys, I have recently turned vegan 3 days ago. I have a question though. Are Kellogg's Fruit n Fibre vegan still? I think I have read too much on the internet and I'm freaking out now thinking I haven't been vegan at all. I read somewhere about some cereals having Vitamin D3 in them however after looking at the ingredients they do not neither do the Just Right?

Here is a link to the ingredients - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=254853131

They look okay to me but after reading so much online I think I'm "over-thinking" it lol

Can someone give me a response please? It wont be long till breakfast again and I would like to know before then?

Also if you are new to this how are you supposed to know what Vitamin D it is as I already know Vitamin D2 is ok but Vitamin D3 is bad but they just write Vitamin D on the boxes?

Thank You James

P.S Nice to meet you all and I look forward to contributing as much as I can!

Last edited by rosebery2; 08-30-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

I see that it's from the UK-- countries do differ in ingredients for the same product.
It looks fine! The vitamins are listed individually, and there's no D to worry about. I mostly find cereals to just list D without indicating whether it's D2-always vegan- or D3-most always from lanolin from sheared sheep.
The sugar in the UK and most of Europe is never put through bone char, so thats fine. In US and some other countries I guess, about 50% of cane sugar is put through a bone char filter to whiten it- from slaughterhouse waste!

In the US most cereals have two columns on the back with nutrition - the first is just the cereal the second shows the values with milk added. I've already found myself looking at the with milk column and getting so angry that every one contained milk! LOL
#3 Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I see that it's from the UK-- countries do differ in ingredients for the same product.
It looks fine! The vitamins are listed individually, and there's no D to worry about. I mostly find cereals to just list D without indicating whether it's D2-always vegan- or D3-most always from lanolin from sheared sheep.
The sugar in the UK and most of Europe is never put through bone char, so thats fine. In US and some other countries I guess, about 50% of cane sugar is put through a bone char filter to whiten it- from slaughterhouse waste!

In the US most cereals have two columns on the back with nutrition - the first is just the cereal the second shows the values with milk added. I've already found myself looking at the with milk column and getting so angry that every one contained milk! LOL
Thanks for your reply I feel better now having someone with your experience on the forum say it looks okay. I just wanted to "double-check" with people who have more knowledge than I do, I did think it was okay but after reading some of the posts regarding them (not here but around the internet) the paranoia crept in. Some of the posts where from early 2000's lol.

Yeah I have seen that "double column" ingredients on a few things here...you have to definitely be on the ball lol

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it

James

Last edited by rosebery2; 08-30-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

If they don't specify by writing vitamin D then you don't know if it's D3. I don't see D on that list. It does have sugar but if I heard that in the UK you guys don't use bones to refine your sugar so I think you're pretty safe.

I want to mention is being vegan isn't black and white, it's a spectrum. Your goal shouldn't be to be perfect because not one of us are. We can always do more. Perhaps you start off buying D3 and then once you find life is easy with D3 you cut it out....then repeat the same with bone char sugar...then find about about child slavery and chocolate and try to do better there, then stop buying cars because of animal products and pollution, then take animal product buying public transit less because you find you can actually bike to a lot of the places you go.

Anyways it's a journey so just take it one day at a time and don't kill yourself if you mess up, just strive to do better.
silva and rosebery2 like this.
#5 Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
If they don't specify by writing vitamin D then you don't know if it's D3. I don't see D on that list. It does have sugar but if I heard that in the UK you guys don't use bones to refine your sugar so I think you're pretty safe.

I want to mention is being vegan isn't black and white, it's a spectrum. Your goal shouldn't be to be perfect because not one of us are. We can always do more. Perhaps you start off buying D3 and then once you find life is easy with D3 you cut it out....then repeat the same with bone char sugar...then find about about child slavery and chocolate and try to do better there, then stop buying cars because of animal products and pollution, then take animal product buying public transit less because you find you can actually bike to a lot of the places you go.

Anyways it's a journey so just take it one day at a time and don't kill yourself if you mess up, just strive to do better.
Thank you for the reply I will take all of your advice on board.

I will take one day at a time and do the best I can. I always used to try to run before I could walk but now I know its about the journey...reminds me of one of my favourite poems...

James

I Was Dying

At first I was dying to grow up and go to high school
Then I was dying to finish high school and go to college
Then I was dying to finish college and start working
Then I was dying to get married and have children
Then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so I can go back to work
Then I was dying to retire
And now I am dying
And I suddenly realised
I forgot to live…
karenlovessnow likes this.

Last edited by rosebery2; 08-30-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page