Is this vegan? (Dyeing hair and such) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Radharc

#1 Old 08-29-2015, 06:00 AM

Is this vegan? (Dyeing hair and such)

I have a conundrum. Here's the background:

I'm searching for a job and to make things easier and give myself more options I want my hair to be a natural color. Preferably my natural color. Currently there is a section of my hair that is dark blue. I've been letting it fade and washing it with non- color safe vegan shampoo, but all it's doing is turning black. I'm more of a light brown. It looks like I may need to buy a color stripping product from the drugstore and then a box of hair dye close to my natural color.

This is my question: Neither of these products will be vegan so is this really an ok thing to do? My general philosophy for the time being is that I eat/drink/breath veganism unless it's an emergency like my blood sugar being low and the only thing I can get is a nutty bar with honey in it. This doesn't really fall into that category, but something does need to be done. I don't want to get a call for an interview tomorrow and have no time to fix my hair.

I know there are some vegan hair dyes out there, but I'm having trouble finding one that matches my hair since I have to get them all online. It makes it hard to see what the color should really be. So, does anyone have any suggestions, especially for the color stripper? I'm willing to look around and find the right hair dye and order it, but I'm having trouble with color stripper. I've tried a few 'home remedies', but they're not working. I'm starting to feel like I should give up on this one and just go to a salon, get it done, then never dye my hair again.

Thanks for any help.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2015, 09:59 AM
No flesh since 99'

We don't live in a vegan world, and looking appropriate for an interview that could lead to a new job is very important. Using one non-vegan product one time when there is not a vegan option available isn't really the end of the world. I'm sure plenty of vegans unknowingly use vegan products like hair stuff without ever realizing it. That doesn't make you "less" vegan or mean you are actively contributing to animal suffering.
#3 Old 08-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

If you were looking to use it regularly I'd talk you out of it, but for a one time fix - get what works.

I will say I love blue in hair, and I'm not even a fan of blue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Lorina
Yeah you probably won't be able to find a vegan color stripper and since this can't wait till your hair grows out I'd say do what you have to do. As already stated it doesn't mean you're actively contributing to animal suffering when you don't really have a choice in the matter.

Plus a new job could mean you're able to more readily buy vegan products or help causes you couldn't without the funds. Or it could just mean you're able to support yourself better and be healthier which is very important xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lorina; 08-29-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Adding something
#5 Old 08-30-2015, 05:49 AM

Thank you guys for the advice! This really would be a one time thing. I guess I'll let a profesional do my hair to make sure it's done properly. I don't want to have to do it again.
Lorina likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page