• 3 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 08-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

New Study: Vegan Diets Safe for Pregnancy

Quote:
A recent National Public Radio (NPR) story by University of California, Berkeley professor Tania Lombrozo discusses a study that suggests a vegan diet is acceptable for pregnant women. Herself a vegan mother, Lombrozo found research conducted earlier this year that aggregated and analyzed 262 full texts available on the topic. The report found that vegan diets have no significant effects on mothers during pregnancy or babies at birth. While research on the topic is limited, the study concluded that “pregnancy isn’t a reason to reconsider” a vegan diet. Celebrities like Bones' actress Emily Deschanel, Clueless star Alicia Silverstone, and The Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik all had healthy vegan pregnancies and babies.
Read the rest here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=6920&catId=1

I know this isn't exactly shocking news to everyone here but this is so important! Studies like this help change the minds of so many people who think a vegan diet is unhealthy, I'm thrilled to see this information is becoming more well known.

Does anyone here have vegan kids? If you do please share your stories and pics!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

No duh!
#3 Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM

I don't but thanks for sharing - this information could be pretty helpful for those who are pregnant/have children as they can show it to friends/family who are perhaps concerned about them being vegan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Vegan since 1991

I wish the VegNews article had cited a more compelling study. If you look at the actual study that is cited in the article ( http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...13280/abstract ), the conclusion is kind of wishy-washy:

"The evidence on vegan–vegetarian diets in pregnancy is heterogeneous and scant. The lack of randomised studies prevents us from distinguishing the effects of diet from confounding factors. Within these limits, vegan–vegetarian diets may be considered safe in pregnancy, provided that attention is paid to vitamin and trace element requirements."

It sounds like the obstetrics community needs to publish more studies on vegetarian and vegan pregnancies.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM

I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be for quite some time but does anyone know anything about the effect of soy? I love Tofu I eat it everyday but have their been any studies on that food in the diet of a pregnant woman any conclusions to any positive or negative effects/?
#6 Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be for quite some time but does anyone know anything about the effect of soy? I love Tofu I eat it everyday but have their been any studies on that food in the diet of a pregnant woman any conclusions to any positive or negative effects/?
I'm sure someone else can help you with links to studies. I'll offer my own anecdotal experience. I'm currently pregnant, I eat or drink soy on the daily, and as far as we know both my baby and I are in perfect health. My midwife actually used the word "perfect" to describe my boy's development so far.
LedBoots likes this.
#7 Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 PM

so it's just a meta-study, studying studies with poor evidence?

#8 Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post
so it's just a meta-study, studying studies with poor evidence?
Pretty much.
#9 Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I'm sure someone else can help you with links to studies. I'll offer my own anecdotal experience. I'm currently pregnant, I eat or drink soy on the daily, and as far as we know both my baby and I are in perfect health. My midwife actually used the word "perfect" to describe my boy's development so far.
I would recommend learning about all amino acids and make sure you get them all. If something goes wrong with your baby, it is going to be your fault. At least you have to eat whey protein. Soy doesn't have all essential amino acids.
#10 Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
I would recommend learning about all amino acids and make sure you get them all. If something goes wrong with your baby, it is going to be your fault. At least you have to eat whey protein. Soy doesn't have all essential amino acids.
Wow. Hey, here's a short list of why this post is horribly misinformed:

1. Protein is found in a wide range of plant foods. There is no special benefit to the consumption of whey protein for anyone, let alone for expectant mothers.

2. Every mainstream health organisation in the world is in agreement that a vegetarian diet, including a vegan diet, imparts health benefits at ALL stages of life, including during pregnancy.

3. My health and the health of my baby are being monitored by a team of midwives. I'm full term now and at my last antenatal appointment, my baby was described as "perfect."

But thanks for your concern. There's nothing a mother needs more than the unsolicited advice of those who have no knowledge of nutrition or pregnancy.
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.
#11 Old 08-29-2015, 06:25 AM

I agree that the study doesn't seem all that conclusive, but it's exciting to see some information being put out there.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
#12 Old 08-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
At least you have to eat whey protein. Soy doesn't have all essential amino acids.
Mainstream medical authorities state that soy does, indeed, have all essential amino acids:

"The quality of protein from soy is equals that of protein from animal foods."
- From the U.S. National Library of Medicine website: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...cle/007204.htm

"Soy is a complete protein with a high concentration of BCAA’s."
- From the U.S. National Library of Medicine website: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3905294/

Objective nutrition data websites also show that soy has an excellent ratio of all necessary amino acids:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4376/2

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#13 Old 08-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Thanks, David3! I was going to post something similar but you got there first.

I was googling to find links to references and wound up skimming a bunch of threads and posts on pregnancy sites. I found no recommendations to avoid soy protein. Funny though, I didfind warnings about whey protein. Apparently it's not well absorbed by some expectant mothers. But it didn't seem to be a huge issue, and the overall opinion seemed to be if supplementing with protein powder, either will do.

There was one site where one front in the "soy wars" was fought. In the end the anti-soy folks were outed as Weston A Price shills. Which is kind of disturbing if you know the absolute nonsense WAP Foundation has gotten up to in the past. They actually advocated that women who fed their infants soy formula use an animal product instead. I forget the specifics, but whatever it was would not meet the child's nutritional needs.

I'd like to add a personal note. I get on the case of people who use kids as hostages in "emotional blackmail" "arguments" whether I agree with their POV or not. It bothers me either way, but it is especially offensive when used as a substitute for supporting facts in a bid to scare people into accepting pseudoscientific rantings straight out of viral emails and newstand tabloids.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 08-30-2015 at 01:26 PM.
#14 Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
You say this to a pregnant vegan woman without a shred of proof? Shame on you.
no whey jose likes this.
#15 Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the backup, guys! 💕
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page