• 4 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 5 Post By silva
  • 3 Post By runnerveggie
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Shallot

#1 Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 PM
No flesh since 99'

Appetizing vegan meals that do NOT include onions?

So, I have some family who is insisting upon visiting next month for 5 days. "Meat and potatoes 3 meals a day" family. I will not be buying a bunch of meat and cooking it up for them, especially since they invited themselves to come visit. I'm sure we'll go out to a meal or 2, but no one is going to be paying to go out every meal they're here, which means some meals will have to be cooked at home. I'm not even going to bother trying to prepare raw foods, I'll just get some of the faux meat to cook up while they're here to minimize complaints about what I'm sure will "evolve" into a "rapidly progressing protein deficiency"

Anyways, one of them will not, under any circumstances, eat onions. They aren't allergic mind you, just had some sort of "bad childhood experience" involving onions. Anyways, pretty much all the recipes I know how to make involve onions somewhere along the line (and if I omitted the onions, they'd taste really off, especially to already hyper-critical people). I need some ideas for food to make (probably all 3 meals) that taste good without the use of onions and might in some way be appetizing to the kind of person who owns a "vegetarian is the old indian word for bad hunter" shirt.

Also- I would like to avoid, if at all possible, buying large things of vegan mayo or butter I won't use after they leave. Process vegan food is really expensive and I just don't normally eat it.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 08-16-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Vegan since 1991

No onions at all, or just no "visible onions"?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here's a good lentil loaf recipe. Leftovers are even good in sandwiches, and you can make it ahead before they arrive..
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...paprika-glaze/

I would just skip the onions.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
No onions at all, or just no "visible onions"?
No onions at all. He hates the sight and taste of them. It makes it really really hard to cook, because admittedly, in cooked vegan foods onions often provide a lot of flavor.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 08-16-2015, 10:42 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Here's a good lentil loaf recipe. Leftovers are even good in sandwiches, and you can make it ahead before they arrive..
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...paprika-glaze/

I would just skip the onions.
I actually used to make lentil loaf frequently before I went raw. However, in the case of my family, I need to think of something else to call it besides "lentil loaf". Thats a sure way to close, lock and seal shut some minds lol.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#6 Old 08-17-2015, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Is he OK with shallots and garlic? They're both rather "oniony," but Minimalist Baker has a recipe for creamy garlic pasta with oven-roasted cherry tomatoes that is absolutely amazing. It's easy to cook, too. The sauce is made with garlic, shallot, almond milk, salt and pepper. You could probably skip the shallot but the garlic is pretty important. Let me know if you want the recipe.
Purp and Kiwibird08 like this.
#7 Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Is he OK with shallots and garlic? They're both rather "oniony," but Minimalist Baker has a recipe for creamy garlic pasta with oven-roasted cherry tomatoes that is absolutely amazing. It's easy to cook, too. The sauce is made with garlic, shallot, almond milk, salt and pepper. You could probably skip the shallot but the garlic is pretty important. Let me know if you want the recipe.
I might be able to get away with some garlic powder, but definitely not shallots. Maybe it would work though. Does it utilize the shallots and garlic as part of how it's "creamy" or are there chunks of them in it?
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I might be able to get away with some garlic powder, but definitely not shallots. Maybe it would work though. Does it utilize the shallots and garlic as part of how it's "creamy" or are there chunks of them in it?
If you blend the sauce, it's creamy. Otherwise there are chunks.

Here's the recipe: http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-ve...sted-tomatoes/
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#9 Old 08-17-2015, 07:15 AM

Its going to be really difficult without onions. I use to finely chop onions in the blender when my kids were little because if my one daughter could see them she would refuse to eat anything that touched them. I cut back on amounts as well and substituted other vegetables in some recipes. Now she says it is a texture thing.That I can understand.
Purp, Shallot and Kiwibird08 like this.
#10 Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I suppose you could just do standard pasta with tomato sauce (maybe with veggie meatballs?), mac n cheeze, chick'n nuggets and fries, veggie burgers and tater tots, that kind of thing.
Purp and Kiwibird08 like this.
#11 Old 08-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I generally avoid faux meats when feeding omnis. Instead of veggie burgers, I would do portobello sandwiches. Grilled, or sauteed, onions aren't really necessary for those - just add splash of soy sauce, perhaps with a bit of liquid smoke added in.

In the summer, it's easy to do a variety of light pasta dishes, and I generally don't use onions for those. A bit of olive oil, sliced olives, marinated artichoke hearts, fresh tomatoes, zucchini, etc., tossed with pasta. I usually use some of the marinating liquid from the artichokes and/or olives, in addition to the olive oil, and whatever fresh herbs strike my fancy.
#12 Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

I would never do a vegan mac n chesse for omnis! It took me a long time to get to appreciate that, and it's specific!

I'd get a prepared pie crust and do a torte with portabellos, peppers, and what ever veggies they'll eat. Sautee the mushrooms and pepper in herby oil before topping the crust. Add tomatoes and maybe some basil.

Shepards pie with red lentils and veggies and a garlic mashed potatoe topping

get some Campbells canned mushrooms gravy. It's got that inclusive taste!

Boca chik'n patties--regular and the spicy kind. Ive never known anyone that didn't like those on a good bun. If you have a doller tree look for the small jars of Just Mayo.

Fat free refried beans spread on taco shells with all the taco topping. You can have your walnut filling too if they feel adventerous

Veggie paella

soups-- minestrone, chili,

as much as I use onions I see no problem leaving them out

Chinese take out is always a good deal
#13 Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
So, I have some family who is insisting upon visiting next month for 5 days. "Meat and potatoes 3 meals a day" family. I will not be buying a bunch of meat and cooking it up for them, especially since they invited themselves to come visit. I'm sure we'll go out to a meal or 2, but no one is going to be paying to go out every meal they're here, which means some meals will have to be cooked at home. I'm not even going to bother trying to prepare raw foods, I'll just get some of the faux meat to cook up while they're here to minimize complaints about what I'm sure will "evolve" into a "rapidly progressing protein deficiency"

Anyways, one of them will not, under any circumstances, eat onions. They aren't allergic mind you, just had some sort of "bad childhood experience" involving onions. Anyways, pretty much all the recipes I know how to make involve onions somewhere along the line (and if I omitted the onions, they'd taste really off, especially to already hyper-critical people). I need some ideas for food to make (probably all 3 meals) that taste good without the use of onions and might in some way be appetizing to the kind of person who owns a "vegetarian is the old indian word for bad hunter" shirt.

Also- I would like to avoid, if at all possible, buying large things of vegan mayo or butter I won't use after they leave. Process vegan food is really expensive and I just don't normally eat it.
Can I adopt you? I don't mind vegan or raw, and I love onions.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 08-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots of veggie foods that would impress omnivores and not require onions. What about lasagna (you could use a tofu, cashew or bean-based ricotta filling) or enchiladas filled with pinto or black beans?
Purp, Kiwibird08 and no whey jose like this.
#15 Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 PM
No flesh since 99'

Thanks for all the great ideas! I guess I am something of an onion freak, I love them and use them in almost everything and find stuff to not taste right without them.

The lasagne sounds like a great idea and so does some kind of Mexican food and a Shepards pie.

BeautifulJoe- That pasta salad actually sounds wonderful one one of the days I feel like not eating totally raw (or to make raw with zucchini noodles). Not sure my omni family would try something like that, but I will!
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

I think we can all agree that onions are awesome.

Kiwi, keep us updated as to what you cook and how your family reacts to it, would you? I am really curious to know how it all plays out.
Purp and Shallot like this.
#17 Old 08-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh a culinary challenge ... cooking without onions.

Let's see .... you're cooking for quite a big group here.

How about you do a mushroom stroganoff (whizz up some pine nuts & plant milk as a substitute for cream) flavour with salt, pepper and thyme (and a little garlic powder). Serve with big green salad, brown rice and fried onions on the side. I'd suggest making the stroganoff with sliced big portabella mushrooms and some green lentils (pre boiled in veggie broth). I'd also fry some finely cubed celery among the mushrooms.

Veggie chillie with lots of beans, spice mix and chipotle (mmmm) serve with rice and/or nachos with sides of salsa (fairly easy to make a onion & non onion version of this) and guacamole for garnish. I make a bumper portion of this every now and then and it's gone in a flash - for four hungry people just take 3 tins each of whatever beans you have available and one of sweetcorn for colour add to a pan of two or three tins of chopped tomatoes and some mexican spice mix. Next add a mix of veg to bulk it out (courgette, peppers, sweet potato all work well) - let it putter till the veg is done - then add salt, pepper & chipotle to taste (and maybe some garlic powder?)
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page