Still trying, but this is not easy for me. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

#31 Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan98036 View Post
When I was younger I used to try to live by a plan, and that did make my life seem more rigid. It also threw everything off if something that I could not control didn't go the way I planned, and that threw my plan off for the rest of the day! I was always, always frustrated!

However, 50 lbs in 6 months is a good weight loss. What if I just planned one meal a day, say for lunch? Do you have any recipes or suggestions I could use for lunch?

I thought it was good to eat more than just three veggies! I thought I'm supposed to get a wide variety of fruits and veggies, beans and grains, greens, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, berries, melons, etc.

That's a pretty complicated plan, don't you agree? What if the cantaloupe doesn't "ripen" at the rate I "planned"? What if the papaya gets a fungus on it? In that case I would need to trash the plan and eat the fruit before it spoils, right? How can I plan 15 - 20 things at once and have everything go as planned?

What if I just wake up when I want; go to the store when I'm hungry, and buy what I want? That way I don't have to worry whether it rains or snows; whether I sleep late or early; whether I feel good or bad....

Are you a technical person? An engineer? You sound like one...but a 50-pound weight loss in 6 months is good! But what if I can't control my own life?

Ron

However
haha i don't worry about the variety of fruit and veg. I just have 3 different kinds each week, so for example one week might be melons, apples, strawberries, aubergine, peppers and spinach - the next might be plums, bananas, blueberries, courgettes, kale and cauliflower. I look at it as though i get a huge variety over the month rather than just 1 week

Recipe ideas - hmm, well....

for breakfasts i have porridge with raisins and sometimes whatever fruit i have in, also i sometimes have jam on toast.

for my lunch i will have a sandwich usually with roasted veg/grated carrot and peanut butter and i have a seaweed snack and a piece of fruit to go with it. Other times i may have a bowl of soup with bread, or even a jacket potato.

and dinners for a typical week would be as follows....1) Chilli con carne with rice (using whatever beans i have in and spices) 2) soup with toast 3) roasted veggie pasta bake 4) baked beans in a jacket potato/on toast 5) veggie curry and rice (i like to put roasted sweet potatoes in it, and i put in massala and curry powder) 6) Bean paella (so easy as you just put everything in 1 big pan and add enough liquid to it to cook the rice in it too) 7) homemade bean burger (i make a batch of these every time i buy sweet potatoes - you just baked the potatoes then mash it with some cooked beans, shape into a patty, then coat in a little flour and fry on each side, then i just keep them in the freezer till i need them )

i also sometimes have tapas style dinners where i just have lots of different components like roasted vegetables, olives, houmous and maybe a packet of melba toast to go with it. I keep coming up with ideas all the time really - and I always make food from the what i already have in.

Just make a plan that's easy and simple for you i don't want you to get stressed out planning your meals :P maybe just plan dinners? That could be alright to do.

And i don't know if i'm a technical person :P I just have struggled with my mental health since being 7 years old, and planning my life on a day to day basis helped save my life pretty much. It keeps it in control which is really important for me.

Also, don't feel you have to do what i've suggested - each to their own I'm just a simple 22 year old student and everybody is different
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I have begun studying Buddhism with a reading of the Dhammapada. But I've gotten stuck on Chapter 16: "Pleasure." What do you make of this....

2). "Let no one ever cling to what is pleasant and what is unpleasant. Otherwise, not to see what is pleasant is painful, and it is painful to see what is unpleasant.

3). "Therefore let no one be attached to anything. Loss of the beloved is evil. Those who are attached to nothing and hate nothing have no fetters."

He seems to be saying that it's okay if I eat pizza, drink beer, lose my job, divorce my wife, shoot the next person who knocks on my door...let them drop the bomb and walk in front of a bus!

It would seem that I must be attached to life, health, money, material things, self-preservation, survival, etc. Otherwise, I might think I could travel to Syria and start a better life!

Or perhaps he is saying that I must seek refuge in the Dharma and let everything else take its course without worrying about anything.

Ron
Well, you hit on the most difficult thing for me, attachment.

I think the point is that good things and bad things will happen, and we can just watch and adjust. Having a job and a wife, etc are part of your life, and therefore your actions will be those of a man who wants to keep them. You won't just eat pizza and drink beer and flip off your boss, because you realize the consequences of that would jeopardize things.
#33 Old 08-29-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I tried that and got on so many meds, from so many doctors, for so many problems--that I developed cancer, diabetes and heart disease! I decided that chemo-therapy was not going to help the situation; that depacote was causing my weight gain and that was causing lots of other problems, and that the medication and all the X-rays for my arthritis were actually causing the paraproteinemias in my blood, which my doctor diagnosed as an indication of cancer!

So I am feeling best by making a lifestyle change involving diet, exercise, sleep and social support! But I got into AA to help me quit drinking and that caused all kinds of problems with my vegan lifestyle, because those alcoholics trade their addiction for alcohol to a dependence upon "comfort food," which causes all the obesity-related, chronic, degenerative diseases in the first place!

I'm beginning to think that the best way to live is to be a recluse and renounce all this crazy stuff that we call "society." Society is what is causing all the problems! If I could live in the woods, by a clean stream and eat organic food out of my own garden, then I wouldn't have all these problems--caused by society!

In fact, I'm trying to live that way in a 1-br apt. in the middle of Lynnwood WA! And I think it's working, if I could just stay away from all the poisons that society puts out there to make money...like alcohol, sugar, medications, churches, politics, crazy people...etc., etc., etc. Know what I mean?
Ron
I think I see where you're coming from. Society has a lot wrong with it, but I personally could never distance myself completely. I enjoy having friends and seeing family even if that means I have to deal with watching my family/friends eat meat every once in a while. To each his own though.
LedBoots likes this.

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
-Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Beginner

Hard to Believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforstars View Post
haha i don't worry about the variety of fruit and veg. I just have 3 different kinds each week, so for example one week might be melons, apples, strawberries, aubergine, peppers and spinach - the next might be plums, bananas, blueberries, courgettes, kale and cauliflower. I look at it as though i get a huge variety over the month rather than just 1 week

Recipe ideas - hmm, well....

for breakfasts i have porridge with raisins and sometimes whatever fruit i have in, also i sometimes have jam on toast.

for my lunch i will have a sandwich usually with roasted veg/grated carrot and peanut butter and i have a seaweed snack and a piece of fruit to go with it. Other times i may have a bowl of soup with bread, or even a jacket potato.

and dinners for a typical week would be as follows....1) Chilli con carne with rice (using whatever beans i have in and spices) 2) soup with toast 3) roasted veggie pasta bake 4) baked beans in a jacket potato/on toast 5) veggie curry and rice (i like to put roasted sweet potatoes in it, and i put in massala and curry powder) 6) Bean paella (so easy as you just put everything in 1 big pan and add enough liquid to it to cook the rice in it too) 7) homemade bean burger (i make a batch of these every time i buy sweet potatoes - you just baked the potatoes then mash it with some cooked beans, shape into a patty, then coat in a little flour and fry on each side, then i just keep them in the freezer till i need them )

i also sometimes have tapas style dinners where i just have lots of different components like roasted vegetables, olives, houmous and maybe a packet of melba toast to go with it. I keep coming up with ideas all the time really - and I always make food from the what i already have in.

Just make a plan that's easy and simple for you i don't want you to get stressed out planning your meals :P maybe just plan dinners? That could be alright to do.

And i don't know if i'm a technical person :P I just have struggled with my mental health since being 7 years old, and planning my life on a day to day basis helped save my life pretty much. It keeps it in control which is really important for me.

Also, don't feel you have to do what i've suggested - each to their own I'm just a simple 22 year old student and everybody is different
I'm continually amazed by how smart children are these days! I don't have any children, but if I did, they could conceivably be in their late 40's! My grandchildren could conceivably be in their early 20's! And these people know enough to teach me about computers, health and wellness, and perhaps "life"! What a shock!

I know you're not preaching to me, but I will take what you say as if you were my mentor! Thanks especially for all the help finding a Buddhist meditation in Seattle!

Ron
lookforstars likes this.
#35 Old 08-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Right! The time to flip off my boss is after I'm fired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Well, you hit on the most difficult thing for me, attachment.

I think the point is that good things and bad things will happen, and we can just watch and adjust. Having a job and a wife, etc are part of your life, and therefore your actions will be those of a man who wants to keep them. You won't just eat pizza and drink beer and flip off your boss, because you realize the consequences of that would jeopardize things.
Okay, and I don't have to crater when bad things happen. The trick is to realize that good and bad things are going to happen, but the secret is to just watch them and adjust--not go to pieces over the bad things and brag about the good things.

Thank you for help finding Buddhist meditations in Seattle.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page