• 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 2 Post By jmb
  • 3 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Car Free Vegan Grocery Haul!

More and more in today’s world we can’t conceive of living without a car. Today I wanted to share with you how I haul lots of food, boxes, and more totally car-free and give you a tour of my local co-op and tasty vegan food, including my own grocery haul!
Purp, David3 and no whey jose like this.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

hi emily. i responded on reddit. i understand jacksonville is not particularly great for biking or vegans but gainesville is both. i would not call it a mecca but it works for me.
#3 Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

No Car people, unite!
Purp and David3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Vegan since 1991

What a wonderful video! Your basket and trailer setup are awesome.

Your local bicycle shop can help you select and install "grocery bag panniers" (see photo below), which will let your bike easily carry 2 full grocery bags. Be sure to get the ones that fold-up when you don't need them. If you don't have the tools to install these, your local bike shop will install them for a nominal charge.

Grocery bag panniers are much better than using a backpack, because the weight of the groceries is on your bike, not your back.

Definitely don't use a handlebar basket to carry groceries; the added weight on the handlebars will interfere with steering.

You can get bicycle trailers that carry almost anything. This isn't a plug, but this website carries some insane bicycle trailers: http://www.bikesatwork.com/

LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-08-2015 at 10:12 AM.
#5 Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't have a trailer but i do have those "grocery bag panniers." i think they cost me $20 including installation.

i was feeding myself plus 2 large dogs and i had to do a heavy haul every day. going up hills was brutal. i warped my tires regularly, too.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Vegan since 1991

From 2003 to 2012, I did almost all my grocery shopping by bicycle. I had 2 grocery bag panniers on my bike. On my way to the store, I would carry my recyclables (my local Whole Foods Market had a small recycling center). I would empty my recyclables, buy my groceries at Trader Joe's (same shopping center as the Whole Foods Market), then ride back home with my load of groceries.
Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#7 Old 08-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm guilty of hauling everything on my bike in a backpack on my back (work lunch, gym shoes, books, groceries etc). I really need to get these baskets! I have a mountain bike and use it for off road trail riding and my husband doesn't want me to have a bike rack installed on my bike as he thinks that will interfere with some of the rugged riding we do. But I might just get one anyway. It gets old using a backpack. I think it slows me down as much as a rack would.
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#8 Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I'm guilty of hauling everything on my bike in a backpack on my back (work lunch, gym shoes, books, groceries etc). I really need to get these baskets! I have a mountain bike and use it for off road trail riding and my husband doesn't want me to have a bike rack installed on my bike as he thinks that will interfere with some of the rugged riding we do. But I might just get one anyway. It gets old using a backpack. I think it slows me down as much as a rack would.
I think you would be better off getting the baskets. That's a lot of weight to be carrying on your back. I read somewhere that you shouldnt carry more than 20% of your body weight in a backpack? I never remember numbers and stats, so off to google and brb to edit.
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
hi emily. i responded on reddit. i understand jacksonville is not particularly great for biking or vegans but gainesville is both. i would not call it a mecca but it works for me.
great to know! yeah i did Jax and Tampa a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
No Car people, unite!
Woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
What a wonderful video! Your basket and trailer setup are awesome.

Your local bicycle shop can help you select and install "grocery bag panniers" (see photo below), which will let your bike easily carry 2 full grocery bags. Be sure to get the ones that fold-up when you don't need them. If you don't have the tools to install these, your local bike shop will install them for a nominal charge.

Grocery bag panniers are much better than using a backpack, because the weight of the groceries is on your bike, not your back.

those are great too! thanks for sharing

Definitely don't use a handlebar basket to carry groceries; the added weight on the handlebars will interfere with steering.

You can get bicycle trailers that carry almost anything. This isn't a plug, but this website carries some insane bicycle trailers: http://www.bikesatwork.com/

thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
i don't have a trailer but i do have those "grocery bag panniers." i think they cost me $20 including installation.

i was feeding myself plus 2 large dogs and i had to do a heavy haul every day. going up hills was brutal. i warped my tires regularly, too.
oh nice! that's intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
From 2003 to 2012, I did almost all my grocery shopping by bicycle. I had 2 grocery bag panniers on my bike. On my way to the store, I would carry my recyclables (my local Whole Foods Market had a small recycling center). I would empty my recyclables, buy my groceries at Trader Joe's (same shopping center as the Whole Foods Market), then ride back home with my load of groceries.
sounds like me!

Quote:
ugh yes! that would kill my back!
Purp likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#10 Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Just maybe I'll try it again....I'm terrified of bicycles> It's probably because I've had bikes that were too big,trying to compensate with lowering the seat, but i always ended up feeling "caught" when I'd stop and have to get off the seat. It was cumbersome to get back on the seat, and I worried about falling over. I really fear the street, even when there's no traffic.

Anyway, where I am now I'm under a mile from an Aldi, and it's great to walk. That also keeps me from overbuying, and buying only produce I'll use up before another trip.

It would be great to ride there with those baskets!
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Just maybe I'll try it again....I'm terrified of bicycles> It's probably because I've had bikes that were too big,trying to compensate with lowering the seat, but i always ended up feeling "caught" when I'd stop and have to get off the seat. It was cumbersome to get back on the seat, and I worried about falling over. I really fear the street, even when there's no traffic.

At your local bicycle shop, you can test-ride lots of bicycles, to see what feels best. They can help you to select a bicycle that fits you. If you plan on carrying heavy groceries, be sure to get a gear-shifting bicycle. The newer gear-shifting bicycles are way, way better than the old 10 speed bikes - much easier to shift.

Here's a good video about safe bicycling in the street. There are many others:

It will be much safer if you wear a brightly-colored construction vest when you ride (available for cheap at the Home Depot, or on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Visibili...le+safety+vest ) . From 2003 to 2012, when I rode all the time, I wore a bright yellow safety vest, a bike helmet, and gloves. I looked like a total nerd, but I never had a single collision. The lady pictured below is doing it correctly. Without gloves, you will really mess up your hands if you fall (when falling, we reflexively use our hands to break our fall).

Purp likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 08-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
#12 Old 08-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Anyway, where I am now I'm under a mile from an Aldi, and it's great to walk. That also keeps me from overbuying, and buying only produce I'll use up before another trip.

It would be great to ride there with those baskets!
I'm afraid of riding, too! I walk everywhere.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 08-09-2015, 03:35 PM

ah i do car free grocery shop every week as i can't drive! :P it's pretty easy if it's for 1 person - trickier if it's for a family. I just have a big rucksack i put everything in
#14 Old 08-09-2015, 06:01 PM
jmb

Quote:
If you don't want the baskets being in the way and stuff, just get a rack from a corp that also sells the panniers to go with. When it's trail time, just leave the bags - the rack is not something that is in the way or heavy. I use them for the groceries and the weekly farmer's market. I think the rack and bags I use were made by Axiom. An open top basket style won't work so well if it's raining, but the panniers will.
Purp and David3 like this.
#15 Old 08-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
If you don't want the baskets being in the way and stuff, just get a rack from a corp that also sells the panniers to go with. When it's trail time, just leave the bags - the rack is not something that is in the way or heavy. I use them for the groceries and the weekly farmer's market. I think the rack and bags I use were made by Axiom. An open top basket style won't work so well if it's raining, but the panniers will.
Thanks for the advice! Definitely going to look into this!

#16 Old 08-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband took a few pics of me last Thursday getting ready to cycle off to the gym and then work in the early morning. I wear fingerless gloves to protect my hands and keep the callouses down, and I always wear sunglasses and a helmet, no matter what. The sunglasses also protect my eyes from dust and pebbles that get kicked up and so on.

I do try to keep my backpack light, but those times I did the store and stuffed food in there and cycled home was pretty ridiculous lol. I also tried hauling some medical textbooks to the library via bicycle and that was a big no no too. Right now I still drive or take a bus to the store on Fridays. I only cycle six months out of the year as the winters in Minnesota are fairly brutal and I can't take riding below 33 degrees F, let alone below zero with ice and snow everywhere. There are die hard cyclists who use fat tires in the winter for snow cycling around here. I have thought about snowshoeing to work and the store, but there really isn't a trail for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elaine Bike Photo 1 August 2015.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	11345   Click image for larger version

Name:	81615 Mission Creek Mountain Bike Ttail Elaine Bike Photos 004.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	11353  
Purp, David3 and no whey jose like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page