• 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By meg moo
  • 1 Post By Auxin
  • 3 Post By cuberail

#1 Old 07-31-2015, 10:20 PM
cinnamon bun

Question How to gain weight as a vegan?

Hey everybody,

I wanted to ask how I can gain more weight while eating vegan. I've always been thin, but since becoming vegan I've lost a bit more weight and my family is telling me I look sick and should gain weight. My problem is I have a small appetite so I've been eating small portions. I'm going to try to work on eating more, but what foods should I try to gain weight and still be healthy?
Tiger Lilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg moo View Post
Hey everybody,

I wanted to ask how I can gain more weight while eating vegan. I've always been thin, but since becoming vegan I've lost a bit more weight and my family is telling me I look sick and should gain weight. My problem is I have a small appetite so I've been eating small portions. I'm going to try to work on eating more, but what foods should I try to gain weight and still be healthy?
Small appetite can be a problem, but it's also subjective. If you wouldn't mind, could you share with us what you DO eat?

Also, if you smoke, that can stop you feeling hungry (and give you lung cancer, so....double reason to give up if you are smoking ).

I have trouble eating a lot, sometimes eating at all, on some days. What I find, is that sometimes I need to eat, in order to eat. So, I'll have a snack and then realise how hungry I actually am. I've found regulating when I eat, eating at certain times, helps me keep my calories up.

Snacks are a good way to sneak in extra food and they can be pretty healthy.

Also, a shake might work well for you if you're looking to add a little extra bulk.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the other's suggestions.
#3 Old 08-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I second what Tiger Lilly said. Eat smaller meals but more often, like four or five times per day.

Focus on more dense foods like seeded breads, nut/peanut butters, avocado, medjool dates and other dried fruits, smoothies with chia or flaxseed and bananas and higher calorie plant milks (there are almond and soy milks that are 90-120 calories per glass). Snack on whole nuts/seeds. Use canned coconut milk to make curries and so on. Eat more pasta as it is easy to eat a good bit of it before feeling full. Eat more hummus.

And if you are extremely active, cut back on cardio and focus more on calisthenics and building muscle.
David3 and meg moo like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with naturebound: avocado, nuts/seeds, dried fruit, hummus. Find higher calorie foods so you won't feel stuffed after eating but you'll get more calories.
David3 likes this.
#5 Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Try eating more frequently. Cut down a little on fiber, and if you eat a lot of raw veggies, try cooking them instead. Make sure you aren't restricted higher fat foods, oils or foods with added sugar. Smoothies are a good idea -- you can put fruit, nut butters, silken tofu, etc in them. If you're out and about, make sure you have a granola bar or other snack handy.
LedBoots and meg moo like this.
#6 Old 08-01-2015, 01:21 PM

have some nut butters, or just nuts and seeds. It's kinda easier to eat more nuts in a butter form though. Also maybe have smoothies, as you can put lots of fruit in them and it's easy to drink that much fruit than eating them. Dried fruit could be good too
meg moo likes this.
#7 Old 08-02-2015, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

I definitely don't have this problem. I know it's not the healthiest advice, but how about buying some vegan treats: ice cream, cakes, cookies? Or making some raw vegan cheesecakes which are full of blended nuts? Even when I'm not very hungry, I can't pass up something sweet.
LedBoots, Tiger Lilly and meg moo like this.
#8 Old 08-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I definitely don't have this problem. I know it's not the healthiest advice, but how about buying some vegan treats: ice cream, cakes, cookies? Or making some raw vegan cheesecakes which are full of blended nuts? Even when I'm not very hungry, I can't pass up something sweet.
Actually, I think keeping an open mind about plant food and allowing room for occasional treats fosters a very healthy relationship with food, mind, and body. There are plenty of awesome vegan desserts, and they do tend to draw interest from the omnivore masses from time to time, as well as dispel the myth that vegan diets are extremely restrictive and health obsessive. I think one of the first desserts I made for my family as a vegan was chocolate cake with maple/avocado/chocolate frosting. They stopped worrying that I was going to waste away after that lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#9 Old 08-02-2015, 04:30 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Actually, I think keeping an open mind about plant food and allowing room for occasional treats fosters a very healthy relationship with food, mind, and body. There are plenty of awesome vegan desserts, and they do tend to draw interest from the omnivore masses from time to time, as well as dispel the myth that vegan diets are extremely restrictive and health obsessive. I think one of the first desserts I made for my family as a vegan was chocolate cake with maple/avocado/chocolate frosting. They stopped worrying that I was going to waste away after that lol.
I completely agree. I think often when people try to go vegan+stopping coffee+quit smoking+give up tasty treats=it is all so new and overwheming, I can't do this.
no whey jose likes this.
#10 Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I am absolutely on board with the cake-eating, make no mistake!
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#11 Old 08-02-2015, 01:55 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Small appetite can be a problem, but it's also subjective. If you wouldn't mind, could you share with us what you DO eat?

Also, if you smoke, that can stop you feeling hungry (and give you lung cancer, so....double reason to give up if you are smoking ).

I have trouble eating a lot, sometimes eating at all, on some days. What I find, is that sometimes I need to eat, in order to eat. So, I'll have a snack and then realise how hungry I actually am. I've found regulating when I eat, eating at certain times, helps me keep my calories up.

Snacks are a good way to sneak in extra food and they can be pretty healthy.

Also, a shake might work well for you if you're looking to add a little extra bulk.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the other's suggestions.
I don't smoke. Usually in a day, I'll eat multi grain/seed bread with peanut butter and a banana with flax or chia, with tea or coffee, for lunch sometimes leftovers from dinner or rice with tofu or eggplant, for dinner I'll eat lots of different things, could be pasta, veggie burgers, chili, etc. but usually a small portion. then later in the night I'll try to eat more/a second helping, and for dessert usually a fruit bowl with banana and mango or berries with chia.

I'm considering taking some sort of shake just to add calories bc I can drink it at work or where ever
Tiger Lilly likes this.

#12 Old 08-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Oryzatarian

I was recently reading an anthropology book [*] that related a report from a year 1700 expedition into Ethiopia where the explorers found the more well-off tribal women drinking a glass of sesame seed oil every day to develop an 'attractively round rump'.
I dont know about drinking oil, but apparently tahini is sometimes used as a dip or sauce all on its own.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#13 Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg moo View Post
I don't smoke. Usually in a day, I'll eat multi grain/seed bread with peanut butter and a banana with flax or chia, with tea or coffee, for lunch sometimes leftovers from dinner or rice with tofu or eggplant, for dinner I'll eat lots of different things, could be pasta, veggie burgers, chili, etc. but usually a small portion. then later in the night I'll try to eat more/a second helping, and for dessert usually a fruit bowl with banana and mango or berries with chia.

I'm considering taking some sort of shake just to add calories bc I can drink it at work or where ever
Sounds like you eat the way I do.

I love 'second' meals... I love second breakfast most of all

Are you 'happy' with the foods you're eating? Or are you bored with them?

I have been known to skip breakfast, until I discovered tofu scramble and proper vegan sausages. Now I'm ALL OVER THAT MEAL!

Perhaps simply mixing up what you're eating will help. Trying new things, even if it's just for breakfast in the beginning, will make you more excited to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
I was recently reading an anthropology book [*] that related a report from a year 1700 expedition into Ethiopia where the explorers found the more well-off tribal women drinking a glass of sesame seed oil every day to develop an 'attractively round rump'.
I dont know about drinking oil, but apparently tahini is sometimes used as a dip or sauce all on its own.
Tahini apparently works well in oatmeal. I have yet to try it.
#14 Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

the answer to this question is pistachios.
#15 Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM

If you are struggling to gain weight as a vegan then I would maybe suggest increasing your fat intake. Nuts, seeds and avocados are high in calories and healthy fats. Also dried fruits have a-lot of calories. If your are eating in small portions then nuts and dried fruits would be perfect for you.
#16 Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 PM

My rule of thumb is, if I'm not full, then I should eat something. If I'm thinking of or craving food, then I should eat something. I have a small appetite too, but if I don't do this, I tend to find myself not eating enough.

Tags
gain weight , weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page