• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 3 Post By etherea
  • 1 Post By Gary4m
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie
  • 2 Post By Gary4m
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 PM

peanut butter substitue

Does anyone know of a good crunchy peanut butter substitute? with 0 fat or at least very low fat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

I can think of plenty of excellent peanut butter alternatives-- sunbutter, almond butter, hazelnut spread, cashew butter-- but none with no or very low fat. I thought the healthy fat was part of the appeal.
#3 Old 07-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

How do you want it to sub? Are you looking for taste, because there is a powdered peanut butter called PB2 that has no fat. Never tried it myself, but people like it
Or do want something more for the sticky thick texture?
Are you looking for something spreadable like for sandwiches?

All I think would be be things like hummus without oil, or fat free refried beans. I can't think of anything 'nutty' that low fat
River, Purp and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
How do you want it to sub? Are you looking for taste, because there is a powdered peanut butter called PB2 that has no fat. Never tried it myself, but people like it
Or do want something more for the sticky thick texture?
Are you looking for something spreadable like for sandwiches?

All I think would be be things like hummus without oil, or fat free refried beans. I can't think of anything 'nutty' that low fat
I love PB2. Unfortunately, it isn't chunky (because it is a powder you mix with water), but it is fantastic. A bit pricey, but otherwise great. It cuts the calories and/or fat by like 80%.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Are you looking for something in the same flavor "universe" or for something that is everything PB is except fat content?

Most commercial reduced fat or no fat peanut butter products are only gonna work for you if fat content is pretty much the only thing you're worried about - they often replace the fat with more sugar and starchy fillers. Mags like Shape and Eating Well say your best option is natural PB with nothing added - no oil, no sugar, just ground peanuts. (I'd add salt, but I live dangerously )

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 07-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I once mixed/mashed a concoction of steamed sweet potato, roasted chickpea, and oat flour together into bars. The taste reminded me slightly of peanut butter. Very little fat, creamy with some lumps left in, and you could add a little salt in there.

Another creamy concoction I make is blending canned chickpeas and steamed cooked carrots along with a splash of almond milk and spices like curry or ginger for a sort of thick spread. It goes nicely on toast or crackers.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I once mixed/mashed a concoction of steamed sweet potato, roasted chickpea, and oat flour together into bars. The taste reminded me slightly of peanut butter. Very little fat, creamy with some lumps left in, and you could add a little salt in there.
Nailed it! If you were to add some of the PB2 mixed with the sweet potato you'd have a replica of peanut butter, taste and texture, and the crunchy bits of chickpeas would make it chunky!

Purp and Naturebound like this.
#8 Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Oryzatarian

I wonder if roasting dry chickpeas at ~350°F for a short time (15 minutes?) would give them a nutty flavor.
Then like pressure cook and grind to a paste. The finished product would be on the order of 2% fat.
If you patent it and get rich, I get 5%

My local market has started stocking defatted almond flour for some reason, if thats something thats widely available it could be added to stuff others have mentioned.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#9 Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary4m View Post
Does anyone know of a good crunchy peanut butter substitute? with 0 fat or at least very low fat?
Marathon Sunflower butter is good. Are you looking because of allergies or just because?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 07-16-2015, 12:09 AM
Banned

Not entirely sure why one would be so "terrified" of fat especially when considering that chances are you've already removed the bad offenders. Is this a peanut butter with added palm oil issue or is this a genuine attempt to remove all fat from ones diet - surely if it's the latter that's a little mad?

As far as I understand it natural nut butters, nuts, avocado's, seeds and wholefoods generally are fine with their fat content - it's refined/extracted/added fats you would be rightfully concerned about. One possible exception is coconut which while I take the view it's a rare saturated exception to the wholefoods-are-fine rule, others would hotly dispute that and I think it's fair to say that occasional consumption in the absence of all other offenders wouldn't be the end of the world.

If you must remove all fat from your diet regardless of source (not sure why you would and as far as I'm aware that's not a very great idea) then a natural peanut but can have the oil removed greatly from it merely by pouring it off the top or soaking it away with a piece of kitchen roll as natural nut butters separate from their oil and must be mixed together by the purchaser before consumption.

I'm curious that the OP explain further the purposes of this request as my understanding is that an incredibly low-fat diet lacking in even good wholefood plant based fats - is doomed to failure/issues. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise but only a few 'reversal of heart-disease' diets request this level of dedication and my understanding is that they are needlessly restrictive as bar coconut and being refined/having-added-oils, things such as nuts and seeds are fine.
LedBoots likes this.
#11 Old 07-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I think peanut butter (or any nut butter) can be dangerous for some people because it can trigger a binge and can be easily overeaten. I've had a few times in the past where I ate half a large container in one sitting. And let me tell you, after eating that much peanut butter one doesn't feel particularly good for a while.

In moderation I personally think it is a great source of healthy food. Just sayin.
no whey jose likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Eat the crunchy peanut butter! There is no substitute as far as I am concerned. If it's a weight/calorie issue you have, just eat less often or more sparingly
Purp, Naturebound and no whey jose like this.

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

Last edited by etherea; 07-16-2015 at 03:00 AM. Reason: missing comma made the sentence unintelligible ;)
#13 Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful! I guess I should have specified that I'm trying to avoid saturated fat and trans fat, not the others. Peanut butter has no trans fat, but does have 2.5g of saturated fat. I only use a little on one slice of toast per day (maybe this is not enough to hurt --- don't know). I will try some of the alternate ideas from your replies. Thanks again! Oh, BTW my issue is diabetes.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 07-17-2015, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary4m View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful! I guess I should have specified that I'm trying to avoid saturated fat and trans fat, not the others. Peanut butter has no trans fat, but does have 2.5g of saturated fat. I only use a little on one slice of toast per day (maybe this is not enough to hurt --- don't know). I will try some of the alternate ideas from your replies. Thanks again! Oh, BTW my issue is diabetes.
Hummus is a great spread for toast too. Other spreads I enjoy are fat free refried beans and spices, sunflower butter, apple butter, white bean dip, avocado pesto (or just the avocado ), mashed kidney beans/salsa, or homemade applesauce on toast. I think almond butter and sunflower butter both have less saturated fat than peanut butter but they can be more expensive.

#15 Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

The saturated fat in peanut butter is balanced out by the unsaturated fats, so you don't need to worry about it negatively impacting heart health or lipid levels. Plant oils in general have a positive impact on lipids -- lowering LDL and increasing HDL -- even though they contain small amount of saturated fats. There is no reason to avoid peanut butter. I would be a little wary of eating a lot of coconut oil, though, as this is higher in saturated fats, and the jury is still out about how it impacts heart health.

Here is some info from the American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...28_Article.jsp
LedBoots likes this.
#16 Old 07-17-2015, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=runnerveggie;3720169] ...Plant oils in general have a positive impact on lipids -- lowering LDL and increasing HDL -- even though they contain small amount of saturated fats. There is no reason to avoid peanut butter.

So, runnerveggie, what would you say is a reasonable/acceptable amount (grams) of saturated fat?
I, for sure, would like to not have to avoid my peanut butter --- love it so much!

Also, based on runnerveggie and riggerboots comments, maybe I'm going overboard on the avoidance of all fats, esp. when I include plant based fats. Sounds like some are good.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#17 Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I would check the American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association, theveganrd.com or veganhealth.org for specific recommendations. Generally, I would think a few servings per day of nut or seed butters should actually be beneficial to your cholesterol levels/heart health.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page