• 4 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 2 Post By Purp
  • 3 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By custardpie
  • 3 Post By Purp

#1 Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 AM
Beginner

Angry Rant - poultry farm placement

Ok, I just really need to rant and be heard by like-minded folk.. so I hope this is ok.

Part of my uni course requires me to do placements on farms. We have to do a certain amount of weeks with cattle (both beef and dairy), pigs, sheep, etc. I completed most of these placements before I went vegan a few months ago, so they were never an issue. In fact, I'm kinda glad I had the opportunity to go on farms because when people start defending farming practices and say stuff like 'those things don't really happen, it's not like that', I can actually say 'um, yes it is because I've seen it'.

Anyway, these past couple weeks I've had my first placements since going vegan. I went to a dairy last week and it actually went ok. I didn't have to do anything too horrible and the people were lovely. However, this week has been a completely different story as I'm at a poultry farm.

I don't even know where to begin. I knew I wasn't going to like it but I had no idea it would take such a toll on my emotions. The site I'm at only has barnlaid and free range hens and they basically live in the same size sheds, except the free range sheds open up and the chickens can venture outside if they choose. Each shed has ~10,000 chickens and it's ridiculously packed. Sheds are checked three times a day for any mortalities and it's a guarantee each shed will have a few. They either get sick or they've been pecked to death by other chickens. Some are only half dead when you find them so their necks are broken. I've seen so many chicken deaths these past 3 days and it upsets me so much. I'm coming home at the end of the day so miserable and depressed.

And the workers are so dumb, I swear. One was telling me about how the chickens were so vicious to each other and they try to decrease it as much as they can but 'what can you do'. I just stared at him. UM how about not farm them at all?? How about not cram them into sheds where they're unable to establish a pecking order? Ughhh.

I only have two days left of this hell. Apparently they're going to gas 10,000 chickens to death on the last day because they're past their prime and I'll probably get to see it. 10,000 chickens. How can society possibly justify this?

I took the following photo on my phone. It's poor quality but it's basically what a lot of them look like. Lost feathers. Red skin. Sick looking. So heartbreaking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-15 09.52.32.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	10817

I sent that and a few other photos to my friends on snapchat to show where their eggs come from.. one of the replies I got was 'but have you ever had a fried egg tho'

I know everyone here knows how bad poultry farms are. I knew as well, but experiencing this first hand has been such a horrible experience that I just needed to let it all out.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm wondering-- do you think you could share your experiences and photos on social media to make people more aware of where eggs come from? I would be glad to pass it on.
#3 Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 AM
Beginner

I would love to, but it would almost certainly get me in HUGE trouble with my university because they tell us not to do exactly that. This is the only other photo I ended up keeping..
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-15 09.52.28.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	10825
Again, super crap quality because of my phone. Maybe I should sneak a camera in for better photos.. I wonder how bad the Ag-gag laws in Australia are? I suppose if I took the photos for personal use and they just happened to fall into someone else's hands.. well, that's not my fault, is it?
Purp and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Rant - poultry farm placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
I would love to, but it would almost certainly get me in HUGE trouble with my university because they tell us not to do exactly that. This is the only other photo I ended up keeping..

Attachment 10825

Again, super crap quality because of my phone. Maybe I should sneak a camera in for better photos.. I wonder how bad the Ag-gag laws in Australia are? I suppose if I took the photos for personal use and they just happened to fall into someone else's hands.. well, that's not my fault, is it?

they'll find this post and you ll be screwed. So if you give out photos/videos do it anonymously.(I'm not sure how anonymous is this forum profiles)

I mean if you publicize the photos. Just this post isn't a problem I don't think.
Purp and custardpie like this.
#5 Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

You know you have a problem when you have to create rules to prevent people from sharing photos of the farms...

I can't imagine being in your situation.
Purp, LedBoots, Vegan Dave and 1 others like this.
#6 Old 07-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Heartbreaking.

Chickens have such highly individualized, amusing, personalities when they are given the opportunity to live a decent life.
Purp, LedBoots and custardpie like this.
#7 Old 07-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't even begin to imagine having to do something like this. Ugh. I once signed up for a required anatomy and physiology course and had to order a lab kit in the mail (the class was online). I opened the box to find a cow brain and eye in there. I was horrified. I spoke to the instructor about my concerns as an ethical vegan and tried to see if I could do something in place of that portion of the lab but she wouldn't budge. She even said she was a vegetarian herself. She admitted the body parts were also from factory farmed chickens. I promptly dropped the course and begged another professor who used computer simulations for labs if I could get in his class. Thankfully he let me. I aced the class and was the top student too. I could not have gotten through the other class. I returned the lab kit and got my money back. It is disturbing what these animals go through and what they are used for.

I know there are vegan veterinarians and doctors and cooks who have to go through hell to get their degrees and there is no way to avoid this sort of thing. It really sucks sometimes this world we live in. :/

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 07-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Ok, I just really need to rant and be heard by like-minded folk.. so I hope this is ok.

Part of my uni course requires me to do placements on farms. We have to do a certain amount of weeks with cattle (both beef and dairy), pigs, sheep, etc. I completed most of these placements before I went vegan a few months ago, so they were never an issue. In fact, I'm kinda glad I had the opportunity to go on farms because when people start defending farming practices and say stuff like 'those things don't really happen, it's not like that', I can actually say 'um, yes it is because I've seen it'.

Anyway, these past couple weeks I've had my first placements since going vegan. I went to a dairy last week and it actually went ok. I didn't have to do anything too horrible and the people were lovely. However, this week has been a completely different story as I'm at a poultry farm.

I don't even know where to begin. I knew I wasn't going to like it but I had no idea it would take such a toll on my emotions. The site I'm at only has barnlaid and free range hens and they basically live in the same size sheds, except the free range sheds open up and the chickens can venture outside if they choose. Each shed has ~10,000 chickens and it's ridiculously packed. Sheds are checked three times a day for any mortalities and it's a guarantee each shed will have a few. They either get sick or they've been pecked to death by other chickens. Some are only half dead when you find them so their necks are broken. I've seen so many chicken deaths these past 3 days and it upsets me so much. I'm coming home at the end of the day so miserable and depressed.

And the workers are so dumb, I swear. One was telling me about how the chickens were so vicious to each other and they try to decrease it as much as they can but 'what can you do'. I just stared at him. UM how about not farm them at all?? How about not cram them into sheds where they're unable to establish a pecking order? Ughhh.

I only have two days left of this hell. Apparently they're going to gas 10,000 chickens to death on the last day because they're past their prime and I'll probably get to see it. 10,000 chickens. How can society possibly justify this?

I took the following photo on my phone. It's poor quality but it's basically what a lot of them look like. Lost feathers. Red skin. Sick looking. So heartbreaking.

Attachment 10817

I sent that and a few other photos to my friends on snapchat to show where their eggs come from.. one of the replies I got was 'but have you ever had a fried egg tho'

I know everyone here knows how bad poultry farms are. I knew as well, but experiencing this first hand has been such a horrible experience that I just needed to let it all out.
Just say, "I have, before I found out where the eggs came from."

Quote:
Attachment 10825
Ask them why they don't want you to share this with the world. If the powers that be give a "compelling" reason (Yes, compelling is in quotes--for a very good reason )Just let us know what the response is, and let my smart aleck mouth take over again.
LedBoots and custardpie like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 AM
Beginner

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all your comments. Lucky I only have one day left of this hell.

Today I actually cried while I was there. I've been seeing people breaking chickens' necks all week but today I watched someone do 5 in a row and in the most brutal way... I was just so shocked. He actually tore the head off one and its bloody neck was just flopping around while it flapped its wings on the ground (it was dead, the flapping of its wings is just a reflex thing). He even had the audacity to make a joke out of it. 'yeah, there's always a bit of breakdancing involved.' I'm sorry. What? You really think these deaths are something to joke about? I just walked off and I could feel the tears coming ughhhhh and I'm not even a crier, I swear! It was just too much all at once and I couldn't hack it.

Then later on in the day the livestock manager was talking to me about how there will be plenty of jobs in the poultry industry in the future and those jobs always earn plenty of money. Selling my soul for money isn't exactly an option, but I guess he doesn't know that. He was also talking about how he prefers cages for birds rather than barns or free range, because there's less disease and sickness and the chickens are happier.. then he was like 'you have to realise, chickens are worker animals. they work for us. people always go on about this 'sentient being' crap but it doesn't matter if they're happy or sad. They're working, they're not expected to be happy. Am I happy when I come to work? Of course not'. At that point I said 'yeah, but they're not getting paid for it' and he was like 'well, they're getting paid in feed'. I REALLY wanted to say 'Congratulations, sir, you just compared these chickens to slaves in the US all those years ago' but I held my tongue. I've had to do a lot of that this week.

Also @Purp they've told us the reasons millions of times. Basically if photos of particular farming practices get out into the public, there can be a huge outcry that will affect the farming industry as everyone will boycott whichever industry is pictured in the photo. What a shame that would be... I wish you were by my side today so you could say all the things to the workers that I didn't have the guts to!
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#10 Old 07-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all your comments. Lucky I only have one day left of this hell.

Today I actually cried while I was there. I've been seeing people breaking chickens' necks all week but today I watched someone do 5 in a row and in the most brutal way... I was just so shocked. He actually tore the head off one and its bloody neck was just flopping around while it flapped its wings on the ground (it was dead, the flapping of its wings is just a reflex thing). He even had the audacity to make a joke out of it. 'yeah, there's always a bit of breakdancing involved.' I'm sorry. What? You really think these deaths are something to joke about? I just walked off and I could feel the tears coming ughhhhh and I'm not even a crier, I swear! It was just too much all at once and I couldn't hack it.

Then later on in the day the livestock manager was talking to me about how there will be plenty of jobs in the poultry industry in the future and those jobs always earn plenty of money. Selling my soul for money isn't exactly an option, but I guess he doesn't know that. He was also talking about how he prefers cages for birds rather than barns or free range, because there's less disease and sickness and the chickens are happier.. then he was like 'you have to realise, chickens are worker animals. they work for us. people always go on about this 'sentient being' crap but it doesn't matter if they're happy or sad. They're working, they're not expected to be happy. Am I happy when I come to work? Of course not'. At that point I said 'yeah, but they're not getting paid for it' and he was like 'well, they're getting paid in feed'. I REALLY wanted to say 'Congratulations, sir, you just compared these chickens to slaves in the US all those years ago' but I held my tongue. I've had to do a lot of that this week.

Also @Purp they've told us the reasons millions of times. Basically if photos of particular farming practices get out into the public, there can be a huge outcry that will affect the farming industry as everyone will boycott whichever industry is pictured in the photo. What a shame that would be... I wish you were by my side today so you could say all the things to the workers that I didn't have the guts to!
Sorry it's been such a tough week for you. So...How much trouble will you get into if I accidently not on purpose shared that photo after you leave Uni? The egg industry in the world would go belly up. Odd, I'm not crying about that at all... :

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 07-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Beginner

@Purp Don't wait until I finish uni.. That's another 3 years! As long as I don't mention the company's name, it should be all good.

Thankfully my placement has now finished and I never have to go back there again. I'll definitely be remembering it forever, though. I've banned my mum from buying eggs in the meantime which she has thankfully agreed to because she's seen how much this whole thing has upset me. Ah well, I'll make sure to tell everyone about my experiences and hopefully I can convince people to no longer support the industry.
Purp, LedBoots, leedsveg and 1 others like this.
#12 Old 07-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Egg prices are soaring here in the US due to the millions of chickens they slaughtered because of avian flu concerns. CNN reports that egg prices have gone up about 50 percent in the past month, and will continue to rise.

A good thing here: Panda Express (fast food Chinese restaurant) has stopped using eggs in its fried rice, replaced by corn.
Purp, Naturebound and custardpie like this.
#13 Old 07-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Custardpie -

Thank God you're outta that place.

I know that I could not get anywhere near there.....I would lose it.

I know a girl who did something similar, and ended up rescuing a pig.

Now she has a new friend and a great pet.

Too bad they treat chickens like that. They deserve a normal life.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#14 Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
@Purp Don't wait until I finish uni.. That's another 3 years! As long as I don't mention the company's name, it should be all good.

Thankfully my placement has now finished and I never have to go back there again. I'll definitely be remembering it forever, though. I've banned my mum from buying eggs in the meantime which she has thankfully agreed to because she's seen how much this whole thing has upset me. Ah well, I'll make sure to tell everyone about my experiences and hopefully I can convince people to no longer support the industry.
Ok Thanks...Accidentally not on purpose steals Custardpie's Egg Farm photos to post on Facebook...* Also, good you are out of there. I hated the thought of you being trapped in there, so to speak.
LedBoots and custardpie like this.

#15 Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm so glad it's over. I would have lost it and gone *militant vegan* on every last one of them. My blood is boiling just reading your posts! Is it all right if I share your photos, too?
Purp, varun and custardpie like this.
#16 Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Absolutely, everyone feel free to share them! Just don't mention you got them from here
Purp likes this.
#17 Old 07-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Absolutely, everyone feel free to share them! Just don't mention you got them from here
Cool. *wonders how many feathers I will ruffle with the chicken as my facebook profile* (Pun DEFINITELY intended)
LedBoots, varun and custardpie like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page