• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By Beautiful Joe
  • 1 Post By redveg

#1 Old 07-10-2015, 06:01 AM

Vegan recipes for a sensitive stomach please

Hi,

I’m vegetarian, but I want to go vegan. I have an incredibly sensitive stomach and I already find it difficult to find recipes to suit me that are vegetarian. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend some recipes, or maybe a cookbook that might suit me. Here’s a little background on my stomach issues and what I have to avoid (spoiler: it’s basically everything!):

I’ve been on quite a high dose of stomach tablets for the last 6 years, but these tablets also inhibit the absorption of many vital nutrients, in particular the ones that are harder for vegetarians and vegans to get anyway. In the last 6 months I have decided to reduce my dose, but in order to do that I have had to cut out everything that upsets my stomach.

To start with, I have an allium intolerance so I can’t eat anything in the onion family. This is something I have been avoiding for quite a while anyway, but I have found it to be one of my biggest obstacles because it seems that every veggie (vegetarian and vegan) recipe and pre-prepared meal contains copious amounts of either onion or garlic…don’t even get me started on Isa Chandra Maskowitz’s cookbooks!

I also can’t really tolerate a huge amount of raw food, I have a few salads but I try not to go overboard, and I wouldn’t go near the likes of raw kale. I can’t eat too many grains that need a fair amount of digesting, and I also can’t tolerate heavily spiced food, or acidic food such as citrus fruit and tomatoes (this is also another big problem).

Basically what I mostly eat is boiled veg, eggs, bread, porridge, couscous, occasionally tofu, and some of the more easily digestible nuts like pecans. It seems to work for my stomach, but it means that most recipes I look at are just useless.

Any kind of recommendations would be wonderful, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, firstly may I state that egg is typically not part of a vegetarian diet, although most people consider it as so. The term for egg eating vegetarian is ovo-veggie. Converting to veganism would mean that you cannot have eggs, milk or honey. Now given the situation where you are avoiding many variants of nuts, grains, citric fruits & spice due to valid reasons, I do not know where exactly you would find nutritional equivalents for them. Do you consume milk & milk by-products? As far as I know milk/curd is quite easily digested due to their probiotic properties and on rare occasions even useful for soothing an acidic reaction to spices. If you are intolerant to lactose products then you should keep away from them too. For now please concentrate on what works for you and gradually plan a transition as & when you find that a class of foods or dish works for you.

As far as recipes go, you can easily remove onion & garlic out of anything, when cooking by yourself just do not add them or if eating outside you could ask for them not to be put in. As you said most vegetarian recipes contain one or the other ingredients like tomatoes, raw veggies, onions etc so I really do not have an idea of what recipes to give you but I'm sure many of our other members here will help you with the same.

What I will say though is, for now please focus on taking care of yourself, since you've reduced the dosage of your medication your stomach might be more sensitive now. Just carry on with what works instead of trying to jump to veganism, your comfort is paramount. As & when you find recipes that work for you & are vegan in nature you could adopt them. Be well

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#3 Old 07-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

I would just like to clarify that currently I am vegetarian, an ovo-lacto vegetarian (though I have cut out most of my milk products), which is why I still eat eggs, I wasn't under the misconception that this was a vegan diet. But what I am looking to do is make the next step to veganism which I feel I am ready to do.

I am doing well on my current diet and my lower dosage of stomach tablets; it is something that I have adjusted very carefully and slowly. I have a strong interest in nutrition, so I research a lot and work very hard to eat a balanced diet. I have bought a lot of recipe books, but there comes a point where it feels like you are wasting your money when most of the recipes aren't suitable (or are just as plain as what I'm alreday making when I cut out the onions, tomatoes etc). I am really just looking for a way of adding more interest to my very basic meals with vegan recipes, so I may slowly eliminate my non-vegan ones.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#5 Old 07-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I would think dairy would be a big contributor to tummy problems
How about white rice, sweet potato and peas? That's a favorite lunch, though I add curry powder

Can you eat fermented foods? Probiotics? Are the pills you take digestive enzymes?
How about fresh pineapple or papaya enzymes?
Can you eat lentils and rice?
How about beans?
Tempeh? It's not good plain, but is very good made with things or marinated for sandwich slices
How about soy yogurt?
Green smoothies?

I can't seem to digest much raw food. I get incredible upper abdomen pains and it sits high, like I ate mulch, for what seems like hours. I pray for gas in either direction, and hope for more belches than I ever get. I'm talking like eating a raw zucchini, or a full raw veggie meal. I just looked at the raw forum and gagged...
#6 Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Sweet potato, black beans, and shredded coconut are a favorite of mine. Sometimes I just peel and steam some sweet potato and eat it that way for breakfast or a snack. Another is to mix banana and canned pumpkin and maybe some black-strap molasses in there (great source of iron, calcium, and other minerals). I eat that a lot for breakfast too.

Some beans are more digestible and easier on the stomach than others. I find that black beans and white beans are easier for me than lentils. I also find it easier to puree beans or add them to soups. Soup is great as it softens vegetables and beans. And you can literally throw anything into a soup and it's hard to mess them up. I don't use vegetable broths due to the high sodium content (unless you make your own). I find that water is enough because the vegetables and beans and so on flavor the soup.

I used to have terrible digestive problems years ago due to endometriosis (though I didn't know that's what it was til later). I could not tolerate dairy as I would be doubled over in pain, especially cheese. I also cooked all my vegetables back then and avoided some fruits too. Unfortunately I ended up losing my uterus and ovaries when I was 33 years old and surgical menopause opened a whole new set of problems but most of the digestive problems went away except the dairy intolerance. When I went vegan my digestion improved dramatically. At any rate, I learned to try new kinds of grains because I love grains but back then I had a hard time with some of them. I discovered millet which is relatively cheap but can be hard to find. It is supposed to be more alkaline than some other grains. I have used it as a hot cereal and as a base for cooked vegetables/beans. What about gluten free pastas? There are more and more of them on the market now, like quinoa pasta and brown rice pasta. There is a vegan recipe for cauliflower Alfredo that I have used over pasta. I like to make a vegan "cheese" by blending steamed sweet potato, tofu, and nutritional yeast (or leave the ny out). I will add spices like marjoram and nutmeg and mix the sauce into the pasta.

I like this site for recipes because they are fairly simple and do not use a lot of fancy ingredients and are very economical (the site is from the Christian Vegetarian Society but all the recipes are vegan):
http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes.html
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Oryzatarian

I would be looking for the fundamental cause of the sensitivity. There is quite possibly some thing, or group of things, causing the continuous inflammation that is then being irritated by anything with much texture, acid, or spice.
I grew up with a quite similar situation- constant gut pain and irritation. My doctors were happy to just keep me on pills and get money from my insurance. It was only when I got fed up, fired them, and devoted myself to finding the cause that it finally ended. For me it just came down to 3 food items which would cause prolonged stomach issues- the worst offender would cause 8 days of pain and another week or more of sensitivity. That was when I was 19, my stomachs been like a cast iron stew pot for the last 16 years since then.

If I were in your situation I would go 24 hours with no food and nothing but water to give my stomach a rest. [Its not hard, just dont think about food and avoid vigorous activity.]
Then I would go 2 days on something very inoffensive. Well cooked white rice and sweet potatoes rarely cause food intolerance issues in people so I'd start with that. Just that and water, salt too if its hot out. With some luck you may see improvement or at least stabilization of the symptoms.
From there each two days I'd add in one single food item, starting with the most inoffensive and avoiding things like spices, chocolate, and junk food in the early stages.
Eventually the symptoms will return. Re-remove the last two things you added in and wait for improvement before re-testing them with something else in between.
Just systematically test and reconstruct your diet, its not hard and since with the possible exception of salt a reasonably healthy person cant become deficient in any single nutrient in just 1 month theres no real hazard.

Your problem must be caused by something, if your lucky you can identify it and permanently cure yourself like I did
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 07-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I followed a FODMAPS-free diet for a while to help with my IBS, sounds like they might be an issue for you as well? I have difficulty tolerating things like juices, apples, pears, onion, garlic, broccoli, and black beans (all high in FODMAPS). If that is the case with you, this blog has some good ideas: http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/ Or, try googling "vegan FODMAPS". Best of luck!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 07-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Sweet potato, black beans, and shredded coconut are a favorite of mine. Sometimes I just peel and steam some sweet potato and eat it that way for breakfast or a snack. Another is to mix banana and canned pumpkin and maybe some black-strap molasses in there (great source of iron, calcium, and other minerals). I eat that a lot for breakfast too.

Some beans are more digestible and easier on the stomach than others. I find that black beans and white beans are easier for me than lentils. I also find it easier to puree beans or add them to soups. Soup is great as it softens vegetables and beans. And you can literally throw anything into a soup and it's hard to mess them up. I don't use vegetable broths due to the high sodium content (unless you make your own). I find that water is enough because the vegetables and beans and so on flavor the soup.

I used to have terrible digestive problems years ago due to endometriosis (though I didn't know that's what it was til later). I could not tolerate dairy as I would be doubled over in pain, especially cheese. I also cooked all my vegetables back then and avoided some fruits too. Unfortunately I ended up losing my uterus and ovaries when I was 33 years old and surgical menopause opened a whole new set of problems but most of the digestive problems went away except the dairy intolerance. When I went vegan my digestion improved dramatically. At any rate, I learned to try new kinds of grains because I love grains but back then I had a hard time with some of them. I discovered millet which is relatively cheap but can be hard to find. It is supposed to be more alkaline than some other grains. I have used it as a hot cereal and as a base for cooked vegetables/beans. What about gluten free pastas? There are more and more of them on the market now, like quinoa pasta and brown rice pasta. There is a vegan recipe for cauliflower Alfredo that I have used over pasta. I like to make a vegan "cheese" by blending steamed sweet potato, tofu, and nutritional yeast (or leave the ny out). I will add spices like marjoram and nutmeg and mix the sauce into the pasta.

I like this site for recipes because they are fairly simple and do not use a lot of fancy ingredients and are very economical (the site is from the Christian Vegetarian Society but all the recipes are vegan):
QFT great post
Naturebound likes this.
#10 Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Thanks for posting this link! I've bookmarked it.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#11 Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 AM

http://blog.katescarlata.com/wp-cont...Low-FODMAP.pdf

I've just been diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis, so I feel your struggle finding vegan options that don't aggravate your symptoms!
Scorpius likes this.
#12 Old 07-19-2015, 06:37 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

MoriMaiden -

I just ran into another vegan at work, who has a real sensitive stomach. He said he gets a lot of recipes from a book called "Isa Does It".

Here's a link to it on AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/Isa-Does-Amazi...ds=isa+does+it

Anyway, he was so exited about the book and the recipes, that I ordered it. (Have not gotten it yet).

Maybe take a look at this book, it might help you out, or point you in the right direction.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#13 Old 07-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Because your diet is quite restrictive, I hope you can get your doctor and a registered dietitian involved. It would be hard to construct a nutritionally complete diet from the foods you list -- in particular, occasional tofu is the only legume, and legumes are an important part of most healthy vegan diets.

Becoming vegan may be possible for you, but it would be best to do it with help from your local medical professionals to avoid any unnecessary risk. If it turns out not to work out for you, there are other things you can do to help animals.

Tags
allium intolerance , sensitive stomach , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page