• 2 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 2 Post By TheVeggieCat
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By Hope_For_Arbuckle
  • 1 Post By SteveW

#1 Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Part-Time Russian

Gonna show my self defense class I can be Vegan and strong!

Yesterday at Krav Magra training, we were doing some of our usual work outs. Some of the class noticed I had brought a vegan protein shake with me for a post work out recovery. They started judging me. One said "I tried to go vegan for a while and almost died." another said "Yea me too I was vegan for like a week and I was starving." and I said "Well I've been vegan for a year now and I feel great." They glared at me and interrupted me and said "Well you need your protein and B12" and I said "It's in the plants" and they said "Well we Like to cut open a steak and see the blood flow out." I just grimaced and said "OOOK that's you're problem then" and I walked outside to meet with my trainer. I later found out that their personal trainers all suggested they go vegan but they refuse to do it. Huh... Well I'm gonna rise to the top of the class and get fit in the process. I'd like to show them you can be vegan and strong. They're not one to judge. We did Hyper Intensive Training the other day and one of the ones that judged me passed out because of some nutritional deficiency and heat exhaustion combined. I guess that bloody steak didn't help... Anyone here a vegan athlete?
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

No, but good luck and give 'em heck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Part-Time Russian

YEAH!!! XD Thanks
Purp likes this.

Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

русский
Deutsch
Español
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeggieCat View Post
Yesterday at Krav Magra training, we were doing some of our usual work outs. Some of the class noticed I had brought a vegan protein shake with me for a post work out recovery. They started judging me. One said "I tried to go vegan for a while and almost died." another said "Yea me too I was vegan for like a week and I was starving." and I said "Well I've been vegan for a year now and I feel great." They glared at me and interrupted me and said "Well you need your protein and B12" and I said "It's in the plants" and they said "Well we Like to cut open a steak and see the blood flow out." I just grimaced and said "OOOK that's you're problem then" and I walked outside to meet with my trainer. I later found out that their personal trainers all suggested they go vegan but they refuse to do it. Huh... Well I'm gonna rise to the top of the class and get fit in the process. I'd like to show them you can be vegan and strong. They're not one to judge. We did Hyper Intensive Training the other day and one of the ones that judged me passed out because of some nutritional deficiency and heat exhaustion combined. I guess that bloody steak didn't help... Anyone here a vegan athlete?
My 22-year old son is a vegan martial artist, too. ( traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu karate).

He went veg at 10, vegan around 12 years old. He kicks ass (pun intended) in class, is very strong despite not lifting heavy, and his body recovers quickly from workout soreness. No one in his dojo gives him any trouble about his veganism.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 06-26-2015, 01:51 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Lol that person who said he went vegan and almost died
Purp and no whey jose like this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#6 Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
My 22-year old son is a vegan martial artist, too. ( traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu karate).

He went veg at 10, vegan around 12 years old. He kicks ass (pun intended) in class, is very strong despite not lifting heavy, and his body recovers quickly from workout soreness. No one in his dojo gives him any trouble about his veganism.
Lucky him for nobody giving him trouble
Purp and LedBoots like this.

Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

русский
Deutsch
Español
#7 Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
Lol that person who said he went vegan and almost died

Ironically was the same person who passed out.
Purp, David3 and no whey jose like this.

Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

русский
Deutsch
Español
#8 Old 06-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Clearly that person doesn't know what a healthy diet looks like, vegan or omni. Good luck in your class!
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 06-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
First, love profile pic.... You look a bit like Char from Gundam!

Second "I tried to go vegan for a while and almost died"....LOL! I shouldn't LOL....But I can't help it!

I'd like to be more athletic. I have some body goals I'd like to achieve, but..... it's cold outside and I am very lazy.

Where do you get your motivation from? Are there vegan athletes who help you keep motivated?
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#10 Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
First, love profile pic.... You look a bit like Char from Gundam!

Second "I tried to go vegan for a while and almost died"....LOL! I shouldn't LOL....But I can't help it!

I'd like to be more athletic. I have some body goals I'd like to achieve, but..... it's cold outside and I am very lazy.

Where do you get your motivation from? Are there vegan athletes who help you keep motivated?
Thanks!! I'm a cosplayer actually Thanks for the complement. Honestly my dad keeps me motivated, he wanted to start me out in self defense, and as the training went on I got more and more into fitness until I started working out every day. Also..... its ok to LOL at them XD I did.
Purp and David3 like this.

Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

русский
Deutsch
Español
#11 Old 06-27-2015, 01:15 AM
Vegan since 1991

The people in your class have a poor awareness of the martial arts world. The following successful martial artists are either vegetarian or vegan:

Jan Muller, Muay Thai World Champion http://www.vegan-fighter.com/vegan-f...an-muller.html

Jake Shields, UFC Fighter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Shields

Mac Danzig, UFC Fighter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Danzig

Nick Diaz, UFC Fighter: http://www.fuelforthefighter.com/the-fighter/

Also, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu promotes vegetarian and vegan diets:
http://www.bjjee.com/articles/benefi...-bjj-athletes/
http://www.thediscerningbrute.com/tag/bjj/
http://www.graciemag.com/2012/02/6-e...for-jiu-jitsu/
TheVeggieCat likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 06-27-2015 at 01:18 AM.
#12 Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thanks!! I'm a cosplayer actually Thanks for the complement. Honestly my dad keeps me motivated, he wanted to start me out in self defense, and as the training went on I got more and more into fitness until I started working out every day. Also..... its ok to LOL at them XD I did.
How cool!

I'm doing my first serious cosplay soon.....Is Cosplay a verb? I'll use it as a verb That's the reason I'm looking to be a bit more athletic. I don't want to be a scrawny villain!

Oh and I was thinking, you sound like you have everything sorted, but I really liked the Sun Warrior protein powder. It's vegan and tastes okay. I used to sweeten it with a date or two when I was running. I didn't die, so I assume it helped
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 07-04-2015, 12:56 PM

If there's one thing you learn about being vegan it's that people are rude, I'm sorry about all that! but don't worry I'm sure you'll kick ass in the class ^_^ I'd love to do a self defence class but unfortunately there are none around here...sigh...nevertheless it's so nice to see fellow vegans doing it !
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 07-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Beginner

I'm a vegetarian/vegan and I play football 3 times a week, gym 4/5 times a week.

I want to spread the message that eating meat products is not necessary to be athletic and strong!
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page