• 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By Go Vegan
  • 2 Post By mecanna
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 AM

Put a spider in a jar and put it outside!

This was the first time I've ever actually done this. It was hard to do because I have an irrational fear of them and I don't like how they look. I live in a small apartment and don't ever leave the door open or anything and I have no idea how he got in because he was HUGE.

But I remembered the "Story from North America", which teaches you to appreciate life and somehow I was given the strength to do it. I mean I think otherwise I would have just left him alone but then I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Anyway this is a pretty silly song about a kid wanting his dad to kill a spider in his room and his dad telling him to save it instead:
(I know this song isn't really about veganism but I think it can partially apply. NSFW for some sort of ...out there animation)
LedBoots, mecanna and custardpie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2015, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

As a fellow arachnophobe, let me offer my heartfelt congratulations! I know that's a big deal. I can't go anywhere near them. My current method is to run away, lock myself in another room, and scream for help.
#3 Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually scoop them up in a paper towel and bring them outside if they are in my living space and I don't feel comfortable with them being there. I had a spider "friend" in my basement for almost a year. She/he had their home on a wooden table against the wall. I would come to the basement a few times per week to lift weights and exercise early in the morning and the spider would at first crawl into a crack and hide. But then he/she would come back out and sit on the table and sort of "watch" me. Occasionally I would talk to it. Other spiders down there would hide when I came down and turned on the lights, but that particular spider stayed out lol. Finally one day I came down and it was just laying there not moving and I touched it and it was dead. I actually felt a sadness and mourned the death of my "friend" who watched me work out. Call me crazy lol. It was a hard time in my life and that spider in some odd way gave me comfort and made me curious about how spiders live. I used to envy such a slow paced life.

My husband used to swat everything that moved in the house but I would yell at him that it is lazy and senseless to kill flies and other creatures just because they are in the house. Just catch them and bring them outside. no biggie. Most are confused and easy to catch anyway. I could understand though if one had an infestation of tons of insects in the house then it becomes a health hazard, but a straggler here and there is not something to make a huge deal out of. He now catches them and brings them outside too (at least when I am home).
leedsveg, no whey jose and LuciBow like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#5 Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I had one of these thinking it would be great but I could never seem to catch the little visitors. I end up needing a big piece of cardboard and a big bowl lol clearly I am not quick enough

Envoyé en utilisant Tapatalk.
LedBoots likes this.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#6 Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I was kind of running away from spiders, insects, butterflies as a kid/early teen, not a typical boy behaviour but I think the training kinda begins when you see other people not wanting to have insects too close to them or running away from them. My reason could be the same as others, they are way too small for us to know them or care for how they are. Having several legs doesn't help their cause either. The creepy factor is sort of exaggerated by movies & t.v shows where they are shown as scary & malevolent lol.

As I grew up I learnt to appreciate butterflies, and I also lost the fear of spiders & roaches completely. I look at them as having their own lives, spending their time scurrying around everywhere, trying to find food to eat or just whiling away the time by sitting. Their time may come at any moment but it wont be thru my hands. I just carefully push the roach away outside of my home with a broom/paper, what it does out there is its business. Spiders aren't much around here.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#7 Old 06-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to be absolutely terrified of spiders! I would actually run away from them and not be able to go back into the room until I realized I was being so irrational because a spider has never hurt me and is probably more afraid of me than I am of the spider so now I have no problem picking them up with a paper towel and putting them outside. There is actually a spider on my window right now by the sink and I haven't taken it outside yet but he/she is actually really cute. Now snakes on the other hand I am extremely afraid and wasps.
#8 Old 06-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Beginner

I love spiders and I'm not afraid of them at all. My girlfriend gates them. I would leave them be for the most part if it was up to me, but because of her, I have to transport them outside every day. I hope they survive out there.
#9 Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx View Post
I love spiders and I'm not afraid of them at all. My girlfriend gates them. I would leave them be for the most part if it was up to me, but because of her, I have to transport them outside every day. I hope they survive out there.
^ She hates them, not "gates" them.
#10 Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx View Post
^ She hates them, not "gates" them.

I've never lived where there were poisoness spiders and I'm quite fond of the ones we have. I let them be

Last year I was transporting stink bugs out of the house several time a day. I think 'gating' them may have been a good idea. Kinda like a bug corral.

I like spiders mostly because I really hate flies
no whey jose likes this.
#11 Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Vegan as f**k

Well done! I have done this for years and have never been bitten even by quite large spiders. It's perfectly safe
#12 Old 06-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Well done! I have done this for years and have never been bitten even by quite large spiders. It's perfectly safe
I was bitten by a daddy long leg a few years ago while in my garden. It hurt like all heck but I didn't get sick or anything from it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the positive responses everyone. It's interesting to see how different people respond to our creepy crawly friends.

I wish I wasn't so creeped out by them. There is one spider that I think is cute, though I've never seen them in real life (Jumping spider):
Purp, LedBoots, mecanna and 2 others like this.
#14 Old 06-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I was bitten by a daddy long leg a few years ago while in my garden. It hurt like all heck but I didn't get sick or anything from it.
Are you sure it didn't brush against you and cause a localised allergic reaction?

Daddy long legs shouldn't be able to bite humans

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#15 Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Oh man.. I remember when I was a kid I would pick up daddy long legs and let them walk all over me. I was afraid of all other spiders but an adult had told me "They can't bite you or hurt you, they eat bad bugs off of plants!" Looking back I was pretty gullible as a child, pretty much believed anything an adult told me. At least this was something that was true.
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Are you sure it didn't brush against you and cause a localised allergic reaction?

Daddy long legs shouldn't be able to bite humans

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html
It did indeed bite me and left a mark. But it didn't look anything like the spiders in your link. Maybe it wasn't a daddy long leg? It was what people around here commonly refer to as a daddy long leg but maybe they are actually something else? I will have to look into this one. Interesting!
Purp likes this.

#17 Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
It did indeed bite me and left a mark. But it didn't look anything like the spiders in your link. Maybe it wasn't a daddy long leg? It was what people around here commonly refer to as a daddy long leg but maybe they are actually something else? I will have to look into this one. Interesting!
Oh dear sorry to hear you were bitten

Maybe it was a similar insect...
Purp likes this.
#18 Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 PM
No flesh since 99'

I let my husband 'handle' them if he's available to do so, but we transport them back outside where they belong too. We thankfully now live in an area with non-poisonous ones, so when we find them, we just relocate them to where they belong

When we lived in Arizona, you would occasionally come across black widows, brown recluses, wolf spiders, scorpions and centipedes. Those can all hurt and potentially kill you and had to be handled (though it was very rare you found them inside, and there was no reason to kill them when they were out in nature). I would occasionally see tarantulas in the road, and would shoo them back to the side with a stick so they didn't get run over.
Purp likes this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#19 Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I let my husband 'handle' them if he's available to do so, but we transport them back outside where they belong too. We thankfully now live in an area with non-poisonous ones, so when we find them, we just relocate them to where they belong

When we lived in Arizona, you would occasionally come across black widows, brown recluses, scorpions and centipedes. Those can all hurt and potentially kill you and had to be handled (though it was very rare you found them inside, and there was no reason to kill them when they were out in nature). I would occasionally see tarantulas in the road, and would shoo them back to the side with a stick so they didn't get run over.
You have tarantulas in Arizona?!
Purp and Kiwibird08 like this.
#20 Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1435026880347.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	10297
I think jumping spiders are cute, too. I don't mind them in the house, they take care of flies that get in.

Tarantulas... I battled them when in I lived in west Texas. Big, big things, the size of my hand.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#21 Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Vegan as f**k

Wow...Serious spiders
Purp likes this.
#22 Old 06-23-2015, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Thanks for the positive responses everyone. It's interesting to see how different people respond to our creepy crawly friends.

I wish I wasn't so creeped out by them. There is one spider that I think is cute, though I've never seen them in real life (Jumping spider):
That one is cute!

When I volunteered at a nature centre in Georgia, I grew fond of our rose-haired tarantula. Not quite fond enough to touch her, but I could get near enough to freshen her water bowl. I thought her colouring was beautiful.

LedBoots likes this.
#23 Old 06-23-2015, 06:47 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
You have tarantulas in Arizona?!
We don't live there anymore, but yes, there were tarantulas in Arizona Not giant bird eating ones or anything, but they were definitely sizable spiders. We lived up north, so I think they hibernated during the winter, but during the summer they seemed prone to being on the roadway in the early morning hours. Every so often I'd spot one while walking to work and shoo him/her to safety. They are incredibly long lived, and unfortunately frequently killed because of peoples irrational fear of them (they do have skin-irritating hairs, but are not deathly venomous like other bugs and critters in Arizona).

http://www.arizona-leisure.com/arizona-tarantulas.html

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#24 Old 06-25-2015, 12:44 AM

The SO and I rent my parents' basement, and we get a lot of grass spiders and house centipedes. The spiders can get huge (one was the size of my palm with his legs extended!) But they have a very mild temperament. I've actually gotten a few outside simply by opening the door and yelling at them to go outside, and one hopped into a cup when I asked it please not to touch me (maybe the cup seemed safer than the wall for a spider that lives at ground level?) The house centipedes/silverfish take a lot more courage to save, especially since they're more likely to bite and move a lot faster. I've been trying my best though.

While on vacation this week, we've come to discover that my grandparents have a roach infestation, and I've run squealing into the street with a cup o' cockroaches more times than I can count. I've also soaked every surface in eucalyptus oil, since it drives them away but doesn't kill them.

Eucalyptus oil works to deter most creepy crawlies, and mint is especially effective against spiders. Just an FYI.
#25 Old 06-25-2015, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Well done! I can't say I'm always good enough to catch and release, I try to whenever the need arises.

I grew up around spiders though, in a way. My parents allowed a pair of huntsmen to live in our house when I was growing up. Seem to keep away nastier spiders (like redbacks and white tails) and flies were rarely a problem. But really, it's better safe than sorry in my part of the world. There are some creepy crawlies that unfortunately will get squashed, with questions asked later on.....
#26 Old 06-25-2015, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post

While on vacation this week, we've come to discover that my grandparents have a roach infestation, and I've run squealing into the street with a cup o' cockroaches more times than I can count.

I can't tell if you're exceptionally brave or I'm exceptionally cowardly. Just picturing that made me want to curl into the feral position and start crying!
#27 Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Live and let live is a wonderful attribute, however, there are certain insects that can destroy your home. Infestation is the key word.
If you mean the German cockroach, known for infesting and spreading disease, very dangerous for anyone with breathing problems:asthma, ocpd, children and elderly.
Taking roaches outside is very detrimental to anyone living near you, and does NOTHING to control the population in the infested house.
Roaches and bedbugs need a certified exterminator to care for the first few bugs you see, so millions don't need to be destroyed after they destroy your home
no whey jose likes this.
#28 Old 06-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Live and let live is a wonderful attribute, however, there are certain insects that can destroy your home. Infestation is the key word.
If you mean the German cockroach, known for infesting and spreading disease, very dangerous for anyone with breathing problems:asthma, ocpd, children and elderly.
Taking roaches outside is very detrimental to anyone living near you, and does NOTHING to control the population in the infested house.
Roaches and bedbugs need a certified exterminator to care for the first few bugs you see, so millions don't need to be destroyed after they destroy your home
Boric Acid works for roaches. Sprinkle a little in every corner of the house, especially under sinks, etc. I live in Florida where roaches are huge and numerous, and this keeps them away.

Tags
fear , spider , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page