• 1 Post By Jasminedesi16
  • 3 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By blue_green_gold
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 06-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Subway Now Offers Vegan Menu at 1,000 Locations

Quote:
It's official: Subway now has vegan sandwiches at more than 1,000 locations nationwide. The all-vegan, protein-packed options include the Black Bean and Malibu Garden submarines and are being rolled out in Connecticut, southern Florida, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC. As a way to encourage the fast-food chain to offer more plant-based options, animal organization Compassion Over Killing launched a "We Love Subway" campaign five years ago, asking consumers to request vegan sandwiches. Subway joins other mainstream food outlets such as White Castle and Chipotle in adding more meat-free options to the menu. As for further expansion, that remains to be determined. “Subway continues to evaluate its menu and explore new options in response to our customers' increasing demand for foods personalized to their tastes; however, no decisions regarding additional vegan menu items are being made at this time,” the company told VegNews.
Read the rest here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=6746&catId=1

FINALLY! I know they've been testing these vegan subs for literally years so it's about time. I hope eventually these subs will be available at all Subway locations in every country, fingers crossed!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome!! I hope these come to Philadelphia soon!
#3 Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Subway has had a promotion here, with select sandwiches only $2 for the 6". I went in and ordered the $2 meat sandwich, no meat no cheese, all the veggies. (Salad on bread.) The veggie sandwich was normally $3.50. So I figure I can do this whenever they have a $2 sandwich special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Cost me around $8 yesterday for a 12" Subway salad sandwich with a black coffee in Shipley near Leeds UK.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 06-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Beginner

Great news!
#6 Old 06-21-2015, 05:54 PM

Does anyone here live near the Hartford/West Hartford/Avon area and know if there are any participating Subway locations there?
#7 Old 06-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Slight confusion here for me, by "vegan" do they mean all-vegan ingredients? I assumed they always had vegan ingredients which would be just the veggies and maybe potato/green peas patty - since their menu is usually customisable the customer can just exclude the meat & mayo. If by vegan menu they've started baking vegan bread & giving egg-free mayo then truly Subway IS the most vegan-progressive fast food company of all time. Taco Bell vegan menu tastes like garbage.. overloaded with spices and flavoring.
Mr. H. likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#8 Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Slight confusion here for me, by "vegan" do they mean all-vegan ingredients? I assumed they always had vegan ingredients which would be just the veggies and maybe potato/green peas patty - since their menu is usually customisable the customer can just exclude the meat & mayo. If by vegan menu they've started baking vegan bread & giving egg-free mayo then truly Subway IS the most vegan-progressive fast food company of all time. Taco Bell vegan menu tastes like garbage.. overloaded with spices and flavoring.
It explains in the article they have two new vegan subs, the Black Bean and Malibu Garden. I hope they're good!
Purp and Mr. H. like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope they come to the Seattle, WA area.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Awesome!! I hope these come to Philadelphia soon!
@Jasminedesi16 , I think you must live very near to my hometown in South Jersey. Have you tried the vegan cheesecake at New Harmony Vegetarian Restaurant on N. 9th St in China Town? My husband and I had our wedding dinner there, and I dream about that cheesecake every day! (We live in the UK now.)

Regarding Subway, this is excellent news! It's so obvious that veganism is taking over the mainstream fast food market. It seems like I hear about another major corporation adopting vegan options every week now!
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#11 Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I know next to nothing about Subway (haven't eaten there since 2010), but from what I understand the majority of their breads are not vegan except a few such as the Italian white bread? (due to use of honey, L cysteine etc). But maybe it's different depending on the location. I haven't kept up with that sort of thing for a while.

I'm more than happy that Subway is making an effort to include vegan options at more of it's restaurants.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 06-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
@Jasminedesi16 , I think you must live very near to my hometown in South Jersey. Have you tried the vegan cheesecake at New Harmony Vegetarian Restaurant on N. 9th St in China Town? My husband and I had our wedding dinner there, and I dream about that cheesecake every day! (We live in the UK now.)

Regarding Subway, this is excellent news! It's so obvious that veganism is taking over the mainstream fast food market. It seems like I hear about another major corporation adopting vegan options every week now!
I am very close to south jersey! I'm actually so close to NJ I could probably walk there :P I haven't tried it there, but I will definitely go that sounds amazing! Have you ever been to vedge?
#13 Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
I am very close to south jersey! I'm actually so close to NJ I could probably walk there I haven't tried it there, but I will definitely go that sounds amazing! Have you ever been to vedge?
I never have! Is it a restaurant?
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#14 Old 06-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I can only find the black bean ones around me. Very tasty though.
#15 Old 06-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I never have! Is it a restaurant?
Yeah it is a vegan restaurant in Philly and it's amazing! It is always so crowded I've needed reservations to get in. It is on Locust Street. If you are ever in the area again you should go. It is probably one of the best vegan restaurants I ever been too.
no whey jose likes this.
#16 Old 06-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, I'll try it should I ever find myself back in Philly!
#17 Old 06-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the subway salad sandwich, and once, at a random road trip stop at and unfamiliar subway, I got to try a veggie patty. Why arent these in all subways? So yum.
#18 Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
I love the subway salad sandwich, and once, at a random road trip stop at and unfamiliar subway, I got to try a veggie patty. Why arent these in all subways? So yum.
I remember those! They were tasty but I'm pretty sure they're not vegan-- egg whites, I think.
#19 Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I remember those! They were tasty but I'm pretty sure they're not vegan-- egg whites, I think.
Yes, I believe in the US the veggie patty has egg whites.

But for any Canadians here it IS vegan in Canada! Which I think is only fair since we don't get these fancy new vegan subs yet.

#20 Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

ok... so what the heck to they bind vegan patties/hot dogs/sausages with? Is it so much more cost prohibitive than the egg white? I mean why use the egg white?

I dont see I difference in price at the grocery store between a 4 pack of morningstar burgers (with egg white) and a 4 pack of boca original vegan burgers. Both products stay together, no crumbling.

Anybody know the answer to this?
#21 Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM

The Malibu Garden vegan patty came to my Subway. I wish I could say that I liked it, but I did not enjoy the taste or texture.

Kudos to Subway for the effort! I'll keep getting the Veggie Delite with no cheese, which I do enjoy.
Mr. H. likes this.
#22 Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

when I got to Subway in the morning I get the Veggie Delite, no cheese, and the sweet onion sauce and on a sourdough. You can get a 12 inch with a cup of coffee for around $7. I eat half and save the other half for lunch. It's not a bad deal. But the ham and cheese costs the same. And I'm not getting any ham and cheese! so it makes me feel like its a rip-off.

I understand a lot of Subways are going to close. Hopefully, the one I go to will still be open when they get the Vegan options.

People keep telling me that this Vegan Thing is just a fad and it will fade away. But I just keep seeing more and more vegan stuff hitting stores and restaurants.
blue_green_gold likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page