Veggie Regular

Question Facebook Posting

4 People commented on this.

3 hrs ·
photo.
Like Comment Share
3 people like this.
1 share
NOTE: Me is, well, me. OP is Original Poster and MF is Mutual friend (not anything else)

Me: You're welcome. Enjoy the heart disease, cancer, hypertension, and other diseases that the animals give you as revenge for eating them.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

MF: I have never in my life heard of meat causing cancer or all those other things. Heart disease from obscenely high cholesterol, sure, but only if you eat way too much without exercising.
Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs

OP: Numerous animals are killed by farmers growing food of every kind, not to mention the ones whose homes are destroyed. And, scientists have recorded plants' screams. You're not as innocent as you pretend.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Me: replied Nope, nor perfect. 1 Reply

MF: Considering that we evolved from omnivores into omnivores, it makes so sense to suggest eating meat, especially in moderation, would cause us so many health issues. It's like the gluten free craze... Unless you have a legit allergy to gluten, going gluten free is actually terrible for you. Even alcohol has trace minerals that are beneficial to your body. It's all about moderation and exercise.
Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs

MF: In fact, your brain is made of cholesterol and eating foods with cholesterol is also beneficial similar to the way omega 3 is... Just throwing that out there tongue emoticon
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

OP: Not to mention that some of most notorious foods that cause obesity all contain sugar, from plants.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

MF: Fruit is quite high in sugar.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Another Friend: I like food.
Like · Reply · 12 mins

How do you handle something like this on someone else's Facebook Wall. I mean, besides slamming your own head into a wall.
Madness-required likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Added: I posted 2 videos on this posting. OP: Numerous animals are killed by farmers growing food of every kind, not to mention the ones whose homes are destroyed. And, scientists have recorded plants' screams. You're not as innocent as you pretend.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs One of a strawberry harvest and one of a "free range organic chicken slaughter"...Let's see how long that lasts.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 06-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Vegan since 2011

Unfortunately, things like this seem to be very common on Facebook. Posts like that can pop up pretty often, and it feels like the people who post them are almost looking for an argument. I imagine that in addition to veg*ns having a hard time, it can also be much the same for people of different lifestyles and religions. It's frustrating and hurtful, and it's one of the reasons that I no longer use Facebook. It's just so easy to leave that site feeling worse than when you opened it.
Purp and LedBoots like this.

"The first step in changing anything is getting people to care." - Misha Collins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Posting something like that in the first place was him trying to get attention and I guess he got it! I sympathise with you. It's better to ignore these posts when they're doing it simply to get a laugh.
Purp and Shallot like this.

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 06-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Vegan as f**k

Ignorance is abundant on social media with regards to a vast range of issues sadly.

I am a follower of a blogger called Darth Vegan on Facebook. Maybe share some of her/ his posts on your page for your friends to read. The combination of fact, passion and in some cases humour could really help educate them
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#6 Old 06-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

I don't have anything to do with Facebook. Problem solved. Facebook is nothing but security problems and mining your information.
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Ignorance is abundant on social media with regards to a vast range of issues sadly.

I am a follower of a blogger called Darth Vegan on Facebook. Maybe share some of her/ his posts on your page for your friends to read. The combination of fact, passion and in some cases humour could really help educate them
Thanks, all. I found the Darth Vegan blogger you talked about and you're right, he's hilarious.

#8 Old 06-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Riot Nrrrd

What the heck is that "food", even? Fried chicken, maybe?

When the "plants feel too" thing comes up I *concede that argument*, but follow it to it's logical conclusion. Something like this:

Yeah, I've seen that about plants screaming. At the library books that make that argument are shelved with the books on bigfoot and the lizard people conspiracy. I read books about actual science and things like that. I never get in to the fringe ravings section myself, but as silly as it is to use plant "feelings" in a discussion, it'd be even sillier to argue about it. So I won't. I'll pretend your point is something other than grasping for straws, like a toddler looking to justify why they don't have to go to bed yet. I'll concede the point. BUT...
Then we have to look at the consequences of that. The critters we kill for food - cows, pigs, chickens, - eat PLANTS. If we truly believe plants feel pain (and it's not just the toddler at bedtime thing), AND we believe that we should minimize the amount of suffering our food choices make, we can do that by eating plants DIRECTLY. In other words, if plants suffer, that would argue for veganism, not eating animal (which indirectly causes much more plant suffering).
----

Too long for a status update, but you should get what I'm going for.
Purp, leedsveg and no whey jose like this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#9 Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley.Dear View Post
It's just so easy to leave that site feeling worse than when you opened it.
Ain't that the truth!!!
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.
#10 Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

If someone is seriously dissing veg*nism, I spout some health and environmental facts. Give it a while for everyone to argue and deny the facts... then post some links from respected scientific and government sources that back up my claims.

If someone is just being a silly goober, my odd sense of humor comes on handy. For example, here is a pic my friend shared this week, along with my response.

Pic:
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1434550525580.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  69.4 KB

My response: (lol)
" I just hate plants. I enjoy hearing their tortured screams... evicerating their gooey innards... and the rush as I feel their fragile bodies crush between my teeth- magnificent. Mmmm... sweet, sweet death. Besides, if we didn't eat the plants, they might take over the world! You should thank me for saving you from evil plant overlords."

Aside from all the giggles it gives me, I've had good results starting serious, positive discussions on the subject using humor.

If all else fails remember your blocking/hiding options.
On FB, you can "hide" posts from certain pages from appearing on your timeline. You can also "hide" posts from certain people. You can put people on a "restricted" list so they don't see your posts (and you don't see theirs) but they are still on your friend list.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#11 Old 06-18-2015, 04:33 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Thanks, all. I found the Darth Vegan blogger you talked about and you're right, he's hilarious.
Darth Vegan is legendary
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 06-21-2015, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually ignore these kind of posts on face book. There is a lot of crap on face book usually posted by people who don't really know me very well and/or have their account linked to some of those sites that randomly post memes and other stuff on your timeline. Unless something like this is specifically addressed to me, its just not worth my time and energy.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 06-21-2015, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

How do you handle something like this on someone else's Facebook Wall. I mean, besides slamming your own head into a wall.
As a rule I don't argue with stupid. Nothing I say will change the mindset of people like that, so I don't cause myself grief by bothering.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page