• 1 Post By shellie
  • 3 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By shellie
  • 1 Post By shellie
  • 1 Post By shellie

#1 Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Family Dinner

My husband's dad and step-mom are coming over for dinner tonight. We are having taco salad. They know I am vegan and they didn't request any meat so I assume they know the meal will be vegetarian (cheese on the side because my husband is not quite vegan yet). I hope they like the food and that we can get through the meal without them questioning how I get protein or commenting on how much better the taco salad would be with ground beef. Wish us luck!
Purp and Vidal Pierre like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

You know your parents-in-law better than me, but I think there's a bigger chance of them assuming you'd provide meat for them than of them assuming the meal is vegetarian. But maybe they're cool people.
Good luck!

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Vegan since 1991

If they ask about protein, just tell them that it's not a problem. Beans are high in protein, there are vegetarian bodybuilders, etc. If they persist with the "protein doubt", just pretend to be surprised at their question, and tell them that it's not an issue at all. Be casual and relaxed. You could have some vegan "beef" crumbles on hand, just in case. Be sure to have plenty of salsa and hot sauce on hand, so they can't claim that vegan food is bland!
Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I normally say don't use meat subs--but I've since had Beyond meat fiesy beef crumbles in a mexican styled pizza and - taco salad. I did miss both those things, didn't find them to be how I liked vegan. Beyond Meat is perfect! It isn't so much like ground beef, but it's got the right texture that other subs lack, and a lot of flavor. Doesn't taste 'fake', or like it's trying too hard.
I've used lentils/walnuts with taco seasoning but that was so --off.

Do you have a Trader Joes? Everyone whos tried their Soy Chorizo loved it. Great for taco's
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 06-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Vegan since 2011

I hope your family dinner goes well. I obviously don't know them, but if they know you're vegan then maybe not asking you prepare any meat is an attempt to keep an open mind and be supportive. You never know when people might surprise you that way. Hopefully, they can enjoy a meat-less meal and you can enjoy a relaxed evening together.
Purp likes this.

"The first step in changing anything is getting people to care." - Misha Collins
#6 Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
My husband's dad and step-mom are coming over for dinner tonight. We are having taco salad. They know I am vegan and they didn't request any meat so I assume they know the meal will be vegetarian (cheese on the side because my husband is not quite vegan yet). I hope they like the food and that we can get through the meal without them questioning how I get protein or commenting on how much better the taco salad would be with ground beef. Wish us luck!
How'd it go?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 06-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

It went great! They both wanted seconds and neither of them said anything about meat. They enjoyed the food and we were able to have some nice dinner conversation (not revolving around meat and protein).
Purp, amira23 and mecanna like this.
#8 Old 06-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Did you do taco salad? how'd you make it?
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 06-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Vegan since 2011

I'm so glad to hear your dinner went well! It sounds like everyone had a nice evening.
Purp likes this.

"The first step in changing anything is getting people to care." - Misha Collins
#10 Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
It went great! They both wanted seconds and neither of them said anything about meat. They enjoyed the food and we were able to have some nice dinner conversation (not revolving around meat and protein).
That's very good news.
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 06-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Silva, yes I did make taco salad. Bottom layer was crushed tortilla chips, followed by seasoned black beans (chili powder and cumin) with taco sauce on them, then another layer of crushed chips, then lettuce and tomato with Italian dressing. They said it tasted like taco salad
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 AM
No flesh since 99'

Sounds great!

Just wanted to add, a great substitution for ground beef in a taco salad is walnuts. If you soak them for about 6 hours, rinse and drain you can then pulse them in the food processor with taco seasoning until a 'meat-like' consistency. It does not need to be cooked. I make this all the time to top my raw 'taco salads' with or for raw tacos (I love mexican food). My omni-husband likes this "taco meat" so much he has me make up big batches for him to add into (cooked) burritos he likes to eat all the time.
imagineaa, Purp and mecanna like this.
#14 Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Kiwi, I didn't know walnuts would work as a ground beef sub.
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Kiwibird, we're having tacos for dinner tonight and I'm trying out your walnut "meat".
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 07-16-2015, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Kiwibird, we're having tacos for dinner tonight and I'm trying out your walnut "meat".
How'd that go??

#17 Old 07-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Great, it really has the texture of ground beef and with the seasonings the flavor is amazing!
Purp likes this.
#18 Old 07-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Sounds great!

Just wanted to add, a great substitution for ground beef in a taco salad is walnuts. If you soak them for about 6 hours, rinse and drain you can then pulse them in the food processor with taco seasoning until a 'meat-like' consistency. It does not need to be cooked. I make this all the time to top my raw 'taco salads' with or for raw tacos (I love mexican food). My omni-husband likes this "taco meat" so much he has me make up big batches for him to add into (cooked) burritos he likes to eat all the time.
Quote:
Thanks, Kiwi, I didn't know walnuts would work as a ground beef sub.
Quote:
[quote=shellie;3720553]Great, it really has the texture of ground beef and with the seasonings the flavor is amazing![/quote @Kiwibird08 and @shellie --Thanks for the heads up about walnuts. That sounds good and I see it in my immediate future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page