"vegans hate dentists" - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

#31 Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 PM

One thing about going vegan is that just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthy. Okay, cupcakes are vegan, but they'll rot your teeth out.

You can also find some not so obvious things, especially at whole foods and such. Remember, these foods being marketed to vegans are to make a profit, not to make people healthy. So they pack in the sugar to cover up the grassy taste of the veggies. I'm a big fan of juicing, and I like to hit the juice bar at whole foods sometimes for convenience. But whole foods idea of a kale pineapple juice is like 90% pineapple, whereas my idea is 90% kale with a little pineapple juice for taste and enzymes. Kombucha is another example. The really good tasting kombuchas have more sugar than coke. Same goes for all those organic teas and such. And sugar combined with acidic things is like kryptonite for your tooth enamel.

Same goes for lots of salad dressings. Many popular dressings are basically all sugar. And don't even get me started on grains. Nothing will destroy your teeth faster than white bread.

So if you're not prepared to eat 90% veggies, then maybe being vegan isn't the best option until you can commit to a healthier lifestyle cutting out sugars and processed foods. Look into the Gerson protocol, and that's a pretty fair assessment of what it takes to be healthy and vegan. Just remember, we eat to live, not live to eat. And it only takes two months to completely reprogram your taste buds. If you can go without all that sugar for just two months, then you'll never go back. And your teeth will thank you for it. Food has enough sugar in it right out of the ground, so there's no reason to concentrate it in your diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Ah, yes, forgot to mention. Make sure you're getting only unprocessed salt. The Himalayan pink is a good option. Chemically treated table salt leaches minerals from your teeth, whereas real natural salt will actually add some back. Processed salt is probably the biggest single killer in our diet in the US.

Also, grains digest acidic in the gut. When your body becomes acidic, it pulls calcium from your teeth and bones to alkalize your blood. This leaves you with tooth decay and weak bones. Green veggies alkalize your body, as do a few fruits.

I find that most vegans eat lots of grains, pastas, and sugars. This is probably why veganism is associated with bad teeth. That, along with failure to supplement nutrients found in red meat, like zinc.
#33 Old 06-14-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
Also, grains digest acidic in the gut. When your body becomes acidic, it pulls calcium from your teeth and bones to alkalize your blood. This leaves you with tooth decay and weak bones. Green veggies alkalize your body, as do a few fruits.
you seem like a weston a. price foundation shill to be honest since most of what you said can be found on their fraudulent website

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19053869
"Multivariate linear regression analysis indicated that body weight and low phytate consumption were the risk factors with greatest influence on bone mineral density. Phytate consumption had a protective effect against osteoporosis, suggesting that low phytate consumption should be considered an osteoporosis risk factor."

see this for more information
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/phyt...-osteoporosis/

it literally does the exact opposite of what you are saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

90% veggies? that doesnt sound sustainable long term, to me. Dont get me wrong, I love vegetables, but I also eat grains,fruit,legumes/soy, and nuts.

Oh and the occasional vegan ice cream product, because yum.
#35 Old 06-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So if you're not prepared to eat 90% veggies, then maybe being vegan isn't the best option until you can commit to a healthier lifestyle cutting out sugars and processed foods.
This is terrible advice. Going vegan is an excellent option whether you choose to eat sugar and processed foods or not.
#36 Old 06-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Is Me View Post
you seem like a weston a. price foundation shill to be honest since most of what you said can be found on their fraudulent website

"Multivariate linear regression analysis indicated that body weight and low phytate consumption were the risk factors with greatest influence on bone mineral density. Phytate consumption had a protective effect against osteoporosis, suggesting that low phytate consumption should be considered an osteoporosis risk factor."

Okay, fist off, cut out the self righteous routine. No one is a shill. You're acting like child. Quite frankly, I'm offended. I try to offer a rational explanation as to why some vegans might be having dental problems and you come at me with all this uncalled for aggression.

I was speaking mostly about processed grains. If you're stone grinding Einkorn wheat and other natural, non GMO grains, then good for you, but most people are eating the GMO processed flours from the store. And those are a quick way to an acidic body, which is a good way to lose calcium. Heck, I know people who basically lived on pasta and bread and called themselves vegans. Technically they were, but they were destroying their bodies. Do you see where I'm coming from now?
#37 Old 06-14-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
This is terrible advice. Going vegan is an excellent option whether you choose to eat sugar and processed foods or not.

I disagree. Replacing a balanced meat diet with an unbalanced vegan diet is NOT a good thing. And that's what I see many vegans, especially new ones, doing. They cut out meat and replace it with a bunch of processed grains and sugary processed fruit laden stuff.

As for the 90%, I like juicing, so it puts my intake of veggies into that realm when I'm doing my juicing routine. To be fair, though, I'm discarding a lot of fibrous material in the process, so I guess I'm not actually eating 90% veggies. Maybe it would be better to say I'm getting 90% of my nutrients from veggies. The moral of the story is yes, I eat other things too. Low glycemic fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, wild rice, etc.

The only things I won't eat are corn and grains, due to the proliferation of GMO genes in even the GMO free variants. It's impossible to stop cross pollination. Monsanto has pretty much destroyed corn for all of humanity. And I do not eat gluten as a rule. Of course I'm only human and sourdough bread does call my name from time to time, lol.
#38 Old 06-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Okay, fist off, cut out the self righteous routine. No one is a shill. You're acting like child. Quite frankly, I'm offended. I try to offer a rational explanation as to why some vegans might be having dental problems and you come at me with all this uncalled for aggression.

I was speaking mostly about processed grains. If you're stone grinding Einkorn wheat and other natural, non GMO grains, then good for you, but most people are eating the GMO processed flours from the store. And those are a quick way to an acidic body, which is a good way to lose calcium. Heck, I know people who basically lived on pasta and bread and called themselves vegans. Technically they were, but they were destroying their bodies. Do you see where I'm coming from now?
saying literally the opposite of whats true isnt a rational explanation

now you are ranting about genetically modified organisms and still have yet to offer any evidence whatsoever for anything youve said
#39 Old 06-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I disagree. Replacing a balanced meat diet with an unbalanced vegan diet is NOT a good thing. And that's what I see many vegans, especially new ones, doing. They cut out meat and replace it with a bunch of processed grains and sugary processed fruit laden stuff.
Veganism is about so much more than personal health. When it comes to meat, billions of lives are at stake. Nutritionists will forever debate which diet is healthiest, but the fact of animal suffering in the meat industry is indisputable.

It also stands to reason that a person capable of eating a balanced meat-inclusive diet would be just as capable of eating a balanced vegan diet. If anything, veganism tends to make us more aware of what we're eating.
LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.
#40 Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Come now, how many people go from eating healthy, well balanced omni diets to junky plant based diets? If they were already eating healthy all they'd have to do is exchange meat, eggs and dairy with legumes, seeds and such. Even if the trade off were mostly processed things like Gardien or Field Roast it would be better than meat.
It shouldn't that much either if their omni diet was truly healthy

And what does all that have to do with dental health?
#41 Old 06-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Ah, yes, forgot to mention. Make sure you're getting only unprocessed salt. The Himalayan pink is a good option. Chemically treated table salt leaches minerals from your teeth, whereas real natural salt will actually add some back. Processed salt is probably the biggest single killer in our diet in the US.

I find that most vegans eat lots of grains, pastas, and sugars. This is probably why veganism is associated with bad teeth. That, along with failure to supplement nutrients found in red meat, like zinc.
Hi Hans. Do you have any links to the whole acid/alkaline thing?
#42 Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi Hans. Do you have any links to the whole acid/alkaline thing?

There are lists out there that use a point system. But it's pretty simple, and they're all the same. Meat, grains, sugar, and some fruits make the body acidic, while virtually anything green alkalizes it.

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

This is the list I've been using. I have absolutely no idea about the company or products they sell, but they have a nice list. I've found it to be a good reference. Again, all these lists are almost identical, and I am not endorsing the company who made this one.

Last edited by HansTheHobbit; 06-15-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: included link
#43 Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Veganism is about so much more than personal health. When it comes to meat, billions of lives are at stake. Nutritionists will forever debate which diet is healthiest, but the fact of animal suffering in the meat industry is indisputable.

It also stands to reason that a person capable of eating a balanced meat-inclusive diet would be just as capable of eating a balanced vegan diet. If anything, veganism tends to make us more aware of what we're eating.

For me personally, it's mostly about health. I have an uncle who has gone an entire year without buying any meat at the store. I would love to see the buffalo herds reestablished to their original levels before they were murdered for their hides.

With all that said, I hate the factory farms with a passion. The way they treat those poor animals is unforgivable. I think humans are the only meat eaters on this planet who like to torture their prey before eating it. It sickens me how those factory farms operate. How any human could treat God's creatures like that is beyond me. What they do makes me want to cry, and the fact that they are capable of it makes me want to cry even more. Anyone capable of torturing an animal is more than capable of torturing a human.

(NOTE- This post has been edited for content.)

Last edited by Capstan; 06-15-2015 at 08:56 PM.
#44 Old 06-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:

......The only things I won't eat are corn and grains, due to the proliferation of GMO genes in even the GMO free variants. It's impossible to stop cross pollination. Monsanto has pretty much destroyed corn for all of humanity. And I do not eat gluten as a rule. Of course I'm only human and sourdough bread does call my name from time to time, lol.
I agree that it's quite possible for someone to eliminate meat, etc from their diet... and then still be eating a diet that is no healthier for them than what they were eating before. It's possible for them to be eating a LESS healthy diet.

But I'm not convinced that processed grains are necessarily all bad. I eat a lot of grains, and because white flour/rice are never "enriched" with everything that's been taken out, I usually eat whole grains. But that's a lot of fiber, and I honestly think some refined grain now and then won't hurt me. It might even be beneficial, but I'm not sure. I just enjoy it sometimes.
LedBoots likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#45 Old 06-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
There are lists out there that use a point system. But it's pretty simple, and they're all the same. Meat, grains, sugar, and some fruits make the body acidic, while virtually anything green alkalizes it.

This is the list I've been using. I have absolutely no idea about the company or products they sell, but they have a nice list. I've found it to be a good reference. Again, all these lists are almost identical, and I am not endorsing the company who made this one.
The only problem I have with your statements is that meat is more acidifing than any ordinary vegan diet, so to say vegans are more prone to decay because of diet seems false.

I did not realize beans and lentils were on the acid forming side. I guess I lean more towards that than I thought! I'll have to do more research
#46 Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:

this website offers no evidence to support your claims, considering what you said about grains was proven to be false and your inability to offer any evidence for any claims it would be reasonable for me to think that everything you say is bull****
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#47 Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Vegan as f**k

My teeth are fine...Just make sure you get vitamins from your meals/ fortified plant milks/ vitamin tabs/ fortified wheats etc
#48 Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Is Me View Post

While I agree with you (The Weston Price foundation is a load of crap), using the word "shill" really turns people off. It's the same thing the "Food Babe Army" calls anyone who disagrees with their anti-GMO stance

#49 Old 06-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

I didn't want a list, I was asking for something a bit more sciency. It appears at a cursory glance that there are not many studies on this topic.

It is clear that the ph of the urine changes depending on the ph of the foods eaten, as this is how the body regulates its ph levels.
no whey jose likes this.
#50 Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 AM

Growing up, my grandpa sold dental equipment, my best friend's mom was a dental hygienist, and I had braces for most of my childhood, so I had to take great care of my teeth. My front bottom tooth is chipped from accidentally biting down on my tongue ring hard enough to break it, but other than that my teeth are in great shape. I think as long as you floss and brush daily and avoid super acidic foods and beverages you should be just fine (but I'm not a dentist, so don't quote me on that one.) My biggest concern when going to the dentist is that the products they use to clean my teeth are non-vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page