VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   My tofu tasted like french toast O_O (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/180809-my-tofu-tasted-like-french-toast-o_o.html)

LuciBow 06-05-2015 09:42 PM

My tofu tasted like french toast O_O

So I cut up some thanh son deep fried tofu into strips, having never worked with it before... and I just toasted it in an empty pan on medium heat till each strip was brown on both sides. I thought in my head "that kinda looks like french toast" then I tried it (Again, never eaten deep fried tofu or this brand before) and it kinda... tasted like it. So I grabbed some blue agave and poured it over it and it was super delicious.

Maybe this is my mind playing tricks on me, like a placebo effect or something. I dunno. But I'm so excited because I always hated tofu and this feels like a way to get me to eat it more... as a desert though. :P

Edit: Woops it seems I posted this in the "Vegan support forum" instead of the "general food" section... I'm very sorry for this.

David3 06-05-2015 10:30 PM

I've been reading the veggie magazines for 24 years, and I've never heard of any recipe quite like this. Glad you are enjoying tofu!

I like to mash up uncooked tofu and add it to spaghetti sauce. Kinda like ricotta cheese.

LuciBow 06-05-2015 11:49 PM

That sounds awesome David I'm going to try that with my next spaghetti :D

xPigeon Swarmx 06-06-2015 03:22 PM

Chinese food started my love affair with tofu -- crispy fried with some kind of sugary batter, a lot like what Luci described.

Also, crumbling tofu on pasta got me through my twenties. In San Francisco, even the corner stores sell tofu, so, tofu, pasta and sauce was all there, and boiling pasta was the extent of my cooking back then. I would also throw some veggies in the water the last couple of minutes -- usually broccoli and mushrooms. Yum!

Vidal Pierre 06-06-2015 03:37 PM

I can't seem to find Tofu in the supermarket I really need to try it.

xPigeon Swarmx 06-06-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre (Post 3674537)

Look at menus for Chinese restaurants in your area. They usually have some kind of tofu dish, and they are the masters of cooking it. They're so smart. They make Americans love their food by deep frying almost everything and coating it in sugar. I hated tofu when I was a kid, but Chinese food made me love it. After that I would eat it straight out of the package.

And, BTW, tofu is usually in a cooler section next to the produce, at least on the west coast... Of the U.S. I don't know where you're located.

melimomTARDIS 06-06-2015 04:28 PM

i like to broil my tofu in the oven with sesame seed salad dressing, soy sauce, and sesame seeds added on top. Little crunchy cubes of deliciousness.

I also like to make it in a stirfry with a packet of ramen noodle seasoning (one of the vegan flavors) and then serve over the cooked ramen noodles.

I really like tofu!

Vidal Pierre 06-06-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx (Post 3674561)
Look at menus for Chinese restaurants in your area. They usually have some kind of tofu dish, and they are the masters of cooking it. They're so smart. They make Americans love their food by deep frying almost everything and coating it in sugar. I hated tofu when I was a kid, but Chinese food made me love it. After that I would eat it straight out of the package.

And, BTW, tofu is usually in a cooler section next to the produce, at least on the west coast... Of the U.S. I don't know where you're located.

By the Animal flesh section? :(

I'll try my best to look for it.

no whey jose 06-07-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre (Post 3674609)
By the Animal flesh section? :(

I'll try my best to look for it.

If your local store's produce section is by the meat department, then I guess. You don't buy fresh fruits and vegetables at the grocery store? It's usually in the refrigerated area near there. Sometimes there are juices, smoothies, salad dressings, and pre-cut bagged veggies in the same section, but of course that depends on the layout of your store.

Vidal Pierre 06-07-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3674761)
If your local store's produce section is by the meat department, then I guess. You don't buy fresh fruits and vegetables at the grocery store? It's usually in the refrigerated area near there. Sometimes there are juices, smoothies, salad dressings, and pre-cut bagged veggies in the same section, but of course that depends on the layout of your store.

Oh I know what you're talking about now!

Its where the Bean sprouts, Noodles, packaged Salads etc are.

silva 06-07-2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciBow (Post 3673057)
So I cut up some thanh son deep fried tofu into strips, having never worked with it before... and I just toasted it in an empty pan on medium heat till each strip was brown on both sides. I thought in my head "that kinda looks like french toast" then I tried it (Again, never eaten deep fried tofu or this brand before) and it kinda... tasted like it. So I grabbed some blue agave and poured it over it and it was super delicious.

Maybe this is my mind playing tricks on me, like a placebo effect or something. I dunno. But I'm so excited because I always hated tofu and this feels like a way to get me to eat it more... as a desert though. :P

Edit: Woops it seems I posted this in the "Vegan support forum" instead of the "general food" section... I'm very sorry for this.

Yay! One of my first tries with tofu was sauteeing it in butter- just slabs of tofu. I had powdered sugar out for something else I was making and sprinkled it on it while it was hot. French toast was exactly what I thought! I've posted that in threads here about vegan french toast and thought yet never ran across it from anyone else, or recipe books!
We'd have loved it in the vegan section too BTW :laugh:!

silva 06-07-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre (Post 3674537)

Also called bean curd, but I don't know if about the UK ?
You could search the UK threads- I know they use it

silva 06-07-2015 08:04 AM

I also like firm tofu crumbled and marinated in balsamic vinegar for salads.
I've heard about umeboshi (?) vinegar being good for things like that. Anyone use umeboshi vinegar? What it's like? I have found the pricier balsamic vinegar is worth it's price, what about umeboshi? Should I get better quality? Trader Joe sell it?

Nooch 06-07-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre (Post 3674937)
Oh I know what you're talking about now!

Its where the Bean sprouts, Noodles, packaged Salads etc are.

My local big Tesco has it on the end of the aisle in the chiller area with all the chilled Quorn and homebrand veggie stuff; Morrisons by the chilled soups; Asda near the yoghurt; Sainsburys near the falafel and samosas. So basically most medium sized stores stock it, but you might have to hunt around the chilled aisles or grab a member of staff. If they have no idea what you are talking about ask for the Cauldron brand sausages and falafel, the tofu is nearly always with them :)

Vidal Pierre 06-07-2015 01:49 PM

Thank you Nooch this week I'll make it a tofu week!