A Good Example of Why We Need to Speak Up For the Animals - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 06-07-2015, 03:26 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre View Post
I don't know if you're just trying hard to be open minded but a 5 year old drinking Milk from the Mother isn't normal. It can affect the development of teeth, effect social development and give massive discomfort for the Mother.


There's a reason why Babies are weaned off drinking Milk from the Mother.


So yes it is messed up maybe I bit rude how about ''odd'' instead?
I am an OB RN and a lactation consultant. Your statements are wrong. Millions of women, including myself, have nursed children who have mouths full of teeth with no discomfort whatsoever. Biting is not part of breastfeeding, as the tongue covers the bottom teeth, and the mouth is not in a position to bite. A young baby with a new tooth might move his mouth position and bite once in a great while, but he learns very quickly not to. One good NO! and baby immediately off the breast works wonders. They learn right away.

Breastfeeding is the best thing for the development of human's teeth in their proper alignment. Sucking bottles, pacifiers, and thumbs for too long can, however, mess up the straightness of the teeth.

Our society has made it "odd" for women to extended breastfeed, but that is to society's misfortune. The immune system is underdeveloped in children under about 6 years old, and human milk continues to offer immunities after infancy, as well as optimum nutrition. Women are, sadly, encouraged to deny their children breastmilk at a young age in our society and even called odd or sick for doing the most natural mammal function.

Of course, toddlers are eating solid foods for the most part, and drinking other things besides breast milk, as weaning begins when the baby has his first solid foods. A 5- year old is not likely to still be nursing, but if he is, it is not going to negatively affect his social development, either. He isn't going to be breastfeeding during kindergarten amongst his friends.

And many children around the world, including in the west, self-lead the weaning process, and are not purposely denied the breast at a random predetermined age.
mecanna and no whey jose like this.
LedBoots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
LOL a kid with a full set of teeth does not bite it's mother during feeding, it knows better!

a baby under the age of one, who is working on its first tooth, is a biter!
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#33 Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London, UK
Posts: 135
Well I've learnt something new I apologise for my ignorance.
no whey jose likes this.
Vidal Pierre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 06-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre View Post
Well I've learnt something new I apologise for my ignorance.
No problem, @Vidal Pierre . I didn't know anything about this until I started reading about it. It says a lot about your open-mindedness and maturity that you're willing to listen.
LedBoots and Vidal Pierre like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#35 Old 06-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London, UK
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
No problem, @Vidal Pierre . I didn't know anything about this until I started reading about it. It says a lot about your open-mindedness and maturity that you're willing to listen.
It also says a lot about how society lies to us massively. From ''eat meat to protein'' to ''don't feed your Child breast milk for to long its bad'' when will the lies and silly cultural ''norms'' end?
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
Vidal Pierre is offline  
#36 Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Beginner
 
xPigeon Swarmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post


Sometimes after you've been vegan for a long time you start to forget that what happens to animals on factory farms isn't common knowledge.

I had a grim reminder of that fact today seeing these replies to my comment on the dairy industry. This is just a small handful I could fit in a screenshot, there were a lot more and most of them were calling me a liar. I just posted proof so hopefully that will help convince them...

This is why we need to speak up for the animals at every opportunity, so many people just have no idea what really happens.
Coming from an Amish background and raising dairy cows for years everything you say about cruelty is not true. We loved our animals as they provided for us and in return we provided for them. We had cows of all ages. Once bred we would raise the babies as new stock for our milking operation. We used organic methods and kept healthy cows. Young bulls would be sold to others who needed a bull. Heffer's were raised in large open fields until they were old enough to be bred and produce milk.

Not eating meat for the last ten years has not changed how I feel about animals. Like humans everything has a life span. The gift of life is precious. How can we deny a cow the chance to become a mother? Green pastures are natures parks for animals. Calve's are natures way of rebirth for a new generation. When animals reach the end of their life span what better way to honor that life than using that animal to provide life for a human.

Waste is what is killing this planet. Eat what is right for you. Eat healthy. Respect animals for what they are. And remember, god gave us teeth for chewing, and a stomach for digesting...who are we to deny what we are.......animals!
She was talking about factory farms, not Amish farms. Are you seriously denying that no abuse of animals happens on (in) factory farms. It's a literal hell for them, right now, every day, every second. You're experience with dairy cows is far, far, far, far from the norm.

Nobody said we aren't animals. What does that prove? God gave us teeth for chewing? I don't believe in your god, but, even if I did, what does chewing have to do with animal abuse?
no whey jose likes this.
xPigeon Swarmx is offline  
#37 Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by tow View Post
How can we deny a cow the chance to become a mother? Green pastures are natures parks for animals. Calve's are natures way of rebirth for a new generation. When animals reach the end of their life span what better way to honor that life than using that animal to provide life for a human.
The issue isn't cows birthing calves. The issue is our breeding animals for the express purpose of separating the calves from their mothers and stealing the milk.

If you wait for an animal to die naturally and then eat the corpse, I have no ethical argument against that-- but that isn't how animal agriculture works. Animals are slaughtered.

It seems that your religious background has kept you sheltered from the reality of modern farming. There's plenty of information available online, including videos of undercover investigations.
no whey jose is offline  
#38 Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by tow View Post
Coming from an Amish background and raising dairy cows for years everything you say about cruelty is not true. We loved our animals as they provided for us and in return we provided for them. We had cows of all ages. Once bred we would raise the babies as new stock for our milking operation. We used organic methods and kept healthy cows. Young bulls would be sold to others who needed a bull. Heffer's were raised in large open fields until they were old enough to be bred and produce milk.

Not eating meat for the last ten years has not changed how I feel about animals. Like humans everything has a life span. The gift of life is precious. How can we deny a cow the chance to become a mother? Green pastures are natures parks for animals. Calve's are natures way of rebirth for a new generation. When animals reach the end of their life span what better way to honor that life than using that animal to provide life for a human.

Waste is what is killing this planet. Eat what is right for you. Eat healthy. Respect animals for what they are. And remember, god gave us teeth for chewing, and a stomach for digesting...who are we to deny what we are.......animals!
The vast majority of the billions of animals slaughtered and eaten each year are not from happy Amish farms. The animals live short, tortured lives, packed tightly into buildings, cages, never seeing the sun. The chickens are cruelly debeaked, calves removed from their forcibly impregnated mothers at birth, and do me a favor and google how most pigs raised for food are treated.

Also, tell me more about the bulls. There weren't too many males born so they were veal raised?
no whey jose likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#39 Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Ethical Vegan Hindu
 
LorriePaige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: #1 Vegan Town~Portland, OR USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Sometimes after you've been vegan for a long time you start to forget that what happens to animals on factory farms isn't common knowledge.

I had a grim reminder of that fact today seeing these replies to my comment on the dairy industry. This is just a small handful I could fit in a screenshot, there were a lot more and most of them were calling me a liar. I just posted proof so hopefully that will help convince them...

This is why we need to speak up for the animals at every opportunity, so many people just have no idea what really happens.
Yes! There is a lot that can be done online regarding educating. On Facebook, Twitter and other places.

I would also recommend to everyone to not get stuck on arguing with people. If they are very much against what you are saying then leave them alone. There are millions of other people in the world who are open to hearing you out; get to the easy ones first.
Werewolf Girl likes this.

VEGAN = LOVE FOR PEOPLE, ANIMALS, PLANET.
LorriePaige is offline  
#40 Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
vegan dave,as a mother, I can say that cow's milk is really emotionally charged.

We parents are encouraged to feed our children milk, and cheese, and yogurt, so they will grow properly. Its ingrained in us that high intake dairy=strong, well developed kids.

I am trying to reduce my children's dairy intake, and I find myself needing to constantly reassure myself that I am not harming them. Didnt we all grow up with a mother telling us to "drink our milk"?

The only peace I can have about the issue is to replace the dairy milk and dairy products with vegan alternatives with equal nutritional value. Ie=swapped dairy milk for a fortified soymilk. Or that i swapped parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast.

The idea of taking nutritional risks with my kids is terrifying! I am sure other parents feel similarly, and that is why they continue feeding their kids dairy milk.
T. Colin Campbell (China Study) determined that Asia has a basically dairy free diet; (when the study was done). They also have the lowest rates of hip fracture, high cholesterol, etc.

There's plenty of "vegetarian protein" to be found. You're not taking a risk. As long as they are getting a balanced diet, they should be OK.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#41 Old 06-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
T. Colin Campbell (China Study) determined that Asia has a basically dairy free diet; (when the study was done). They also have the lowest rates of hip fracture, high cholesterol, etc.

There's plenty of "vegetarian protein" to be found. You're not taking a risk. As long as they are getting a balanced diet, they should be OK.

which Asia was this? Not Southern Asia for sure.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#42 Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
shellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 963
The book is called the China Study so I'd assume they focused on China.
shellie is offline  
#43 Old 06-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
The book is called the China Study so I'd assume they focused on China.
From wiki:
"It looked at mortality rates from cancer and other chronic diseases from 1973–75 in 65 counties in China; the data was correlated with 1983–84 dietary surveys and blood work from 100 people in each county. The research was conducted in those counties because they had genetically similar populations that tended, over generations, to live and eat in the same way in the same place. The study concluded that counties with a high consumption of animal-based foods in 1983–84 were more likely to have had higher death rates from "Western" diseases as of 1973–75, while the opposite was true for counties that ate more plant foods.[9]"
LedBoots is offline  
#44 Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 PM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
I f*****g hate the veal industry!
Go Vegan is offline  
#45 Old 06-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Beginner
 
xPigeon Swarmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 144
Does this scumbag murder the animals his or herself on this happy humane farm? Do rainbows fly out of their rear end before or after? But it's a "family farm." Don't spew your PETA whatever around my fantasy pastures. They always use PETA. So annoying. I hope they choke on their baby cow flesh. Scum!
xPigeon Swarmx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off