• 1 Post By Rebecca623
  • 1 Post By dropscone
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Rebecca623
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 05-16-2015, 01:13 AM

Help with vegan cakes!!

Hello
I have been a vegan for about 2 months now (and it's going great!) but I've tried to make some vegan cakes, and I fail terribly! I was good at making non vegan cakes, so I know it's not my baking skills. But my cakes and muffins turn out to be a bit soft and mushy and they never come cleanly out the wrapper, so they always fall apart. It feels like there is no substance to them?! I am desperate to make a good cake as my mum is so sceptical that cakes with no eggs don't work, and so far I have been proving her right!! I am in the UK and don't own any US measuring cups, yet I have been following American recipes that use cups. I've been measuring out 250ml in our Pyrex measuring jug and using that to equal one cup. Is this why my cakes fail? Because my measurements are slightly off?
Does anyone have a good cupcake recipe that uses grams as a measurement? I think that would really help me!
Thank you all in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2015, 01:15 AM

Ps, I can't use vegan butter (parents won't buy it for me even though its half the price of the butter-spread they use)
I've been subbing vegetable oil, or coconut oil. Coconut oil is so expensive though.
#3 Old 05-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a lot of success with this cake recipe that doesn't use vegan butter (I apologize but it does use American measurements):

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/...zed-vegan.html

Below is a pic of my cake from that recipe. I seem to have more success with bundt cakes than sheet ones. I love my vegan cakes and have shared them at work and people love them, but I will admit that they are more dense and not as light and fluffy as those I made back in omnivore days. I have had much more success with light and fluffy vegan pancakes than cakes, and those are usually the result of using vinegar as well as vegan "buttermilk" (plant milk and lemon juice or vinegar) and baking soda and salt in the same recipe. I think something like a starch or egg replacer would work better for cake than a heavier vegan "egg" substitute like flax eggs or tofu/beans/applesauce etc. I guess it depends on the type of cake you are making. I'm not a huge fan of cake, but have made some good chocolate cakes and carrot cake. I have had far more success with dessert breads like coconut bread, banana bread, pumpkin or lemon bread etc, and cupcakes and vegan pies.

I found this article that gives tips on baking vegan cakes that might be helpful. I like the tip about not overbeating. I have had more success also with "folding" batter than beating it. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...s-and-muffins/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elaines Cake 102312 001.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	9409  
David3 and Rebecca623 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 05-16-2015, 04:24 AM

"wacky cake" is a vegan cake that has been popular for literally decades. It's one of those "accidentally vegan" recipes that omnis love. It's a chocolate cake. Here's one link:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...an-cake-recipe

You can choose the measurements you desire (grams, volume, etc.)

But you can just google "wacky cake" and tons of links will come up. I;ve made it and its awesome. Makes great cake pops, too! I make a vegan ganache from almond milk and dark chocolate (and sometimes peanut butter) to go on it if I want it super decadent. For a lighter version I just dust with powdered sugar.

Last edited by mydogisgreat!; 05-16-2015 at 04:29 AM.
#5 Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

My family has only ever used one cake recipe and it's vegan (I'm the only vegan in the family). It's from the Hershey's cookbook. Sorry, it's in American measurements but I googled it and found 1 cup is 225 ml. A teaspoon is 5 ml. and a tablespoon is 15 ml.

Lickety-Split Cocoa Cake

1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; stir with spoon or wire whisk just until batter smooth and ingredients are well blended. Pour into greased and floured 9-inch layer pan or 8-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan; frost as desired. 6-8 servings.

This is about half as much cake as a normal cake pan so just double the recipe.

For other recipes google "depression era cake". During the US great depression people found ways of doing things without dairy and eggs because of the expense.
David3 and Rebecca623 like this.
#6 Old 05-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Your cake looks LOVELY!! Nomnomnom
Naturebound likes this.
#7 Old 05-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind replies! I will check out the cakes and if I make them soon ill let you know how they turned out! And haha if I've got the cup measurement wrong this might explain why they didn't turn out right!
#8 Old 05-16-2015, 02:32 PM
just add raisins

Poundland sell sets of measuring cups. I do find a lot of vegan cake recipes are in cup measures and it's probably worth investing in a set. If you choose to buy these just be aware they have 2 cup sets - the Jane Asher ones are US measures and come with spoons as well, but the shop also sell some brighter cup sets and those aren't US measurements!

Morrisons also have some nice sturdy cup sets for £2.
Rebecca623 likes this.
#9 Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca623 View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind replies! I will check out the cakes and if I make them soon ill let you know how they turned out! And haha if I've got the cup measurement wrong this might explain why they didn't turn out right!
If you're up to it, feel free to ship those cakes to me across the Atlantic and I'll let you know if they taste and look good.
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Dropscone- I'll check out pound land! Thanks so much!
#11 Old 05-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
If you're up to it, feel free to ship those cakes to me across the Atlantic and I'll let you know if they taste and look good.
If I could, I'd have a big vegan cake tasting party
no whey jose likes this.
#12 Old 05-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I definitly suggest you check out this old thread --

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/41...late-cake.html

So many hits, you have it all different measurements, along with tips.
It's pretty much what shellie posted as lickety split cake.

And check out Chloe Coscarrelis recipe blog too!
http://www.chefchloe.com/vegan-recipes.html
i do use less oil than what her recipes call for.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by silva; 05-17-2015 at 01:26 PM.
#13 Old 05-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had a lot of luck with this cake recipe, which does not contain any vegan butter: http://www.theppk.com/2013/04/butter...coconut-bacon/ The basic cake is vanilla, and you can frost as you wish (I've never made it with the butterscotch and bacon).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page