VeggieBoards banner

vinegar vegan?

Tags
vinegar
17K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Pirate Huntress 
#1 ·
hi.

i emailed heinz about their distilled vinegar and apple cider vinegar. here is the reply:

"May 14, 2015
Dear Ben,

Thank you for visiting our website.

The Heinz Vinegar is not considered vegan.

Thanks again for contacting us. We appreciate your interest.
"

i eat a lot of salsa, hot sauce, pickled vegetables, etc. that are made with vinegar.

does any 1 know about vinegar production?

is it filtered with isinglass or gelatin?

#2 ·
Oh-kay, that's news to me!
Heinz white vinegar in gallon containers are cheaper than store brands where I buy it. I never questioned it.
I know Braggs apple cider vinegar is vegan.
I also like balsamic so I hope that is vegan.

I found this:
"
When researching whether or not isinglass is used in filtering, it seems to me that while that is a method that can be used, it is not very popular. I took the liberty of contacting Heinz, a major manufacturer of many vinegars to see if they used isinglass. They did not:
June 28, 2011
Dear Melissa,
Thank you for visiting our web site.
Heinz vinegar is not filtered through isinglass. It is considered suitable for vegetarians.
Thanks again for contacting us. We appreciate your interest.
Heinz Consumer Resource Center
Heinzconsumeraffairs@us.hjheinz.comWe certainly can't speak for every vinegar manufacturer out there, but I feel confident with vinegar's vegan status."

From this site:
http://www.isitvegan.com/2011/06/30/is-vinegar-really-vegan/

#4 ·
Most likely its bone char.
Distilled vinegar would contain by-products that could introduce an off-smell (like fusel alcohols do in cheap vodka) and would vary based on the materials used to make the vinegar. Sloppy distillation might, at times, cause color variation. Big name companies dont like variation in their product and they tend to remove off-smells or off-colors whenever economical. Charcoal filtering would accomplish all of this.
When buying apple cider vinegar check the ingredients. Some brands are now fake and made with distilled vinegar.

#6 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about this. Our vegan diet serves to minimize violence towards animals - it doesn't eliminate this violence completely.

Even organically-grown foods are sprayed with pesticides (chemicals which kill insects). The USDA Organic standard allows the use of naturally-derived pesticides: http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/torg.html .

Eating meat magnifies this pesticide-induced violence, because the vast majority of livestock animals are fed soy/corn feed, at least during a portion of their (short) life. Only 9% of the world's beef cattle are exclusively grass-fed, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization: http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5303E/x5303e05.htm#chapter 2: livestock grazing systems & the environment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.