The controversy of Freelee - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 431Likes

#181 Old 06-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Ahh, the ever-popular "headless fatties eating ice cream" photo. Classy! (Edit: I see you've changed the photo. Good call. It's sort of a cliche that every article or news story about the "obesity epidemic" includes faceless fat bodies eating.)

One study conducted by the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital recruited obese athletes. They were incredibly fit, having run marathons and competed in long-distance bike races, with rigorous training schedules and exercise regimens-- and they were obese, with 30% body fat. The study found that they were just as healthy, metabolically speaking, as similar athletes of normal weight, and their bodies actually became stronger from carrying the extra weight. Their lungs and hearts in particular were more efficient.

Santiago Lorenzo, PhD, who lead the study, said: "The bodies of the obese athletes in our study have adapted after years of conditioning. They have developed an ability to generate higher airflow and deliver ample oxygen to their blood and muscles. For typical obese people who want to become active, this may mean that they are not going to have the limitations we previously assumed they would."

It's fitness, not fatness, which determines health. Multiple studies have challenged the idea that we can judge a person's health by appearance. Healthy habits lead to better health, and sometimes to weight loss -- but the two aren't the same thing. I don't know why anyone would want it to be otherwise. If you're genuinely interested in creating a healthier populace, encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables and to exercise. These habits have been shown to improve fitness, happiness, and quality of life. What is the benefit of focusing on weight rather than health, aside from trying to justify making negative judgments of others' bodies? Is it simply the desire to feel superior to others?
I think you missed something - I'm not debating the same debate you're having with the other poster. My claim was nothing to do with how we view obese people, but a genuine question as to how someone could possibly be healthy and not eventually reach a certain size that was considered more natural for a diet like that. I still stand by that. That study definitely does not speak for the masses. Those people have adapted, yes, but the majority of Americans are not like that. When you see an obese American who has skin problems, with dull hair and faded eyes, they are NOT going to be an obese athlete. I want to see pictures of these obese athletes they studied. If they have healthy hair, bright eyes and nice skin then I wouldn't assume that person unhealthy, because you see that their body is rewarding it for them. But I STILL believe, for the majority of the population (since it's a rarity severely obese people will become athletes AND stay obese as athletes) that the healthier and more active your lifestyle is, the more you're going to look like a naturally lean and slim person. We are not designed to be any other way. Yes, there will be those obese athletes that have managed to adapt, but that is not genetically how we are designed and its the minority of people who start to eat healthier stay that at a dangerous weight - that's simply common sense.
holnrew and azerea_02 like this.

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 AM
Beginner

I've always been a slim person irrespective of the state of my health and my lifestyle.

I have ranged from incredibly healthy to incredibly unhealthy lifestyles but remained pretty much the same weight. I weigh the same as an active, healthy-eating vegan as I did when I was an inactive, junk-food eating, alcohol-swilling omni. I also weighed the same during my years of bulimia when I would binge and purge on a daily basis.

I remember joining up to a Boxercise class many years ago and was horrified when the instructor came into the room. She was short and wide - her BMI would definitely have been in the overweight range. Half way into the session I was practically passed out with exhaustion (it was a really intense workout) and she hadn't even broken into a sweat. At the end of the session she was planning to jog 4 miles to her next class in a nearby village. She was incredibly fit but if you just judged her by her body shape (as I initially did) then you would've had her pinned as a couch potato.

In my job I help to promote healthy eating and lifestyles. Some of the people I support are very overweight (19 stone and 5'5" for example) and are overwhelmed by the thought of trying to lose weight. I encourage them to start by making small changes to their eating habits and exercise regime. For example, instead of setting unrealistic goals of going to the gym 5 days a week I ask them to walk for 10 minutes a day. Small, achievable goals will encourage people and help to get them into healthy routines/habits which can be be sustained and developed further. You'd be surprised at how a number of small steps can be turned into a huge stride for that particular person. Diets are not the answer - permanent and sustainable healthy changes to your lifestyle are.
#183 Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
I think if a person wants to be taken at all seriously when making health and wellbeing assertions such as:

a cavity in a tooth can cure itself
3 day fasting can cure cancer, heart disease and ....more or less everything else
people are taller because of the growth hormones pumped into cows
etc

then they have to provide something concrete, such as peer reviewed scientific evidence. To merely come out with a comments such as "I do remember reading about it somewhere" and "it was not meant to be a scientific fact" won't gather understanding and respect, quite the opposite.
1 im am not looking for respect, if i was i would not express opinions that i know people are going to laugh at.

2 how would some one get a peer review done, on a subject like curing tooth decay or any alternative cure when the concusses is you can't, you would get struck of the record, and have any number of labels put on you to make people disrespect the person. ''dangerous health advice'' iresponseable ''crack pot conspiracy theorist?'' to name a few.

3 cavities can be healed, this was documented by Dr weston price, when i raised his name i was jumped on, because he recommends meat, in his day the scientific opinion was you could not get the required nutrients thru veg so yes his work is out dated, but to say its natural and healthy to have bones in your body rotting in your head is just non sense.

4pleas quote me where i said 3 day fasting cures cancer. it is a 2 year program back to health of cutting, out all sugar and wheat for 6 months
then intervals of fasting. ''you should not assume you know what fasting is, because you read a fad diet once and it had the word fast in it.

my statement on how i think the growth hormones they give cows might get into the milk, makes more sense than our DNA has changed over the last 100 years, and it is responsible for the tall, and globular people we see today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post

2 how would some one get a peer review done, on a subject like curing tooth decay or any alternative cure when the concusses is you can't, you would get struck of the record, and have any number of labels put on you to make people disrespect the person. ''dangerous health advice'' iresponseable ''crack pot conspiracy theorist?'' to name a few.
Edit: Never mind, it's pointless.

I'll just quickly explain how to "get a peer review done."

You're a scientist. You have a hypothesis, like "fasting causes the body to eat cancer cells" or "cavities can be healed through diet." You conduct a study to test this hypothesis, write an article detailing the method and results of your study, and submit that article to a reputable scientific journal. Other scientists with an expertise in your field will review your article and determine whether your study was conducted legitimately. If it was, your article will be published for even more scientists to read. Those scientists can then replicate your experiment to see if they get the same results, and they can publish their own articles.
leedsveg and ellyray like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 06-06-2015 at 07:32 AM.
#185 Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Globular?

"Oh my.... sweetie, you should cut back on the junk food. You're looking quite globular today."

#186 Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

weston price foundation= eat more animal foods, cut back on plants. Raw dairy has magical healing qualities. Pastured/grass fed animals= saturated fat that fights disease. Cholesterol is a vital nutrient. drinking bone broth/grass fed gelatin fights disease...etc...

These guys are big time meat and dairy promoters, and they are scant on science. I wouldnt recommend them as a resource for nutritional education.
no whey jose likes this.
#187 Old 06-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

FWIW- weston price himself recommended a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet to his own children after his travels. No talk of bone broth/gelatin miracle cures from the man the organization is named after.
no whey jose likes this.
#188 Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What nowheyjose has just said. If the science all adds up, you become famous and make millions.

Quote:
3 cavities can be healed, this was documented by Dr weston price, when i raised his name i was jumped on, because he recommends meat, in his day the scientific opinion was you could not get the required nutrients thru veg so yes his work is out dated, but to say its natural and healthy to have bones in your body rotting in your head is just non sense.
If the science doesn't add up, you don't become famous and you don't make millions.

Quote:
4pleas quote me where i said 3 day fasting cures cancer. it is a 2 year program back to health of cutting, out all sugar and wheat for 6 months then intervals of fasting. ''you should not assume you know what fasting is, because you read a fad diet once and it had the word fast in it.
This is what you said on 2nd June 2015 at 7:14 pm. Nothing there about a 2 year program. No evidence provided that it actually works either, whether we're talking about a time scale of 3 days or 2 years.

Quote:
you should do some research into fasting, you can heal any thing, by just stoping putting food in and let your body repair its self. after 3 days no food, your body starts to eat cancer cells, warts, funguses, and old viruses, that might be in your body.i know many people that have cured heart disease, and pretty much any thing.
Quote:
my statement on how i think the growth hormones they give cows might get into the milk, makes more sense than our DNA has changed over the last 100 years, and it is responsible for the tall, and globular people we see today.
But where is your evidence for what you're saying? I could believe that little green men from Mars have been putting stuff in our water for the last 100 years to make us taller. Without any concrete evidence though, people are going to be pretty unimpressed. The "experts" on Wikipedia seem to think that that the 2 major reasons why our species is taller over the last 150 years are 1) significant improvement in diet and 2) significant improvement in health/health technology. Nobody but you is talking about a change in DNA.
no whey jose and ellyray like this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 06-06-2015 at 07:58 AM.
#189 Old 06-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

LOL, significant improvements in diet, lol i must really live on a different planet to you guys, ''maybe thats a resin you can ban me''

i am not going to go into the details on a form, it would take for ever. a guy said he was sick, and was going veggie, and i know a few people that have cured, clogged attires, leaking valves, and other diseases thru fasting, i am not a health guru I'm simply saying, if you want to heal a disease and doctors can't, thats your best bet going vegan will not cure many diseases alone.
you body built its self as a child, of course it can repair itself.
doctors would put a mechanical little valve mad of plastic in stead, or put a stent to physical pull your vain wider, pretty old fashioned if you ask me.

i did not like weston prices out look on meat, thats why i came hear for nutritional advice, i repeat in his day vegan nutrition was not what it is now,

how ever I'm going to leave it hear, i don't trust doctors know about health. i also think they make a lot of money out of sickness. they only study sickness, when some one gets cancer they don't wonder why that non smoker got it why some heavy smokers-drinkes don't, they just nuke you with poisons, in the hope that it will kill the cancer. if the lenses in your eyes go off, they make new lenses you can put on top of your own.
if your teeth rot in your head, they drill them out and fill them with MERCURY.

after reading that hopefully you will under stand why i don't care about peer reviews.

if you think the system works for you, go for it am happy that you be confident that if you get sick you get the best treatment. its just not for me.
#190 Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
LOL, significant improvements in diet, lol i must really live on a different planet to you guys,
I think some of us had already reached that conclusion...
Scorpius, silva, LedBoots and 3 others like this.
#191 Old 06-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned

as soon as i get that bloody space ship working, I AM off this planet,

professor professor professor, they think that sh±t means some. thing lol.

Last edited by seanE; 06-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.
#192 Old 06-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

They don't use Mercury in fillings anymore, at least not in America.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#193 Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Most of the videos I see on YouTube about raw till 4 are girls who tried it and gained weight. It seems like the majority of them went on the starch solution after that and are having great results.

That being said, Freelee is probably doing more to spread veganism than most of us. I've also heard her say, "Go fruit yourself... or root yourself."

I like that. Eating a ton of fruit doesn't work for everybody.
#194 Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx View Post
Most of the videos I see on YouTube about raw till 4 are girls who tried it and gained weight. It seems like the majority of them went on the starch solution after that and are having great results.

That being said, Freelee is probably doing more to spread veganism than most of us. I've also heard her say, "Go fruit yourself... or root yourself."

I would gain weight eating 30 bananas a day!!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#195 Old 06-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx View Post

I would gain weight eating 30 bananas a day!!!
So would I, and I would have crazy blood sugar spikes and crashes -- mood all over the place. This has been my experience. I don't know if there's something wrong with my blood sugar. I've only been back to veganism for two months, so there might be. I still love ripe bananas, I just put them in smoothies with other stuff to regulate my blood sugar -- greens, some fats and more fiber from ground flax, et cetera.

I read a little bit about resistant starch recently, so yesterday I bought some mostly-green bananas. I ate two of them this morning with nothing else. I felt really good. I guess resistant starch doesn't get digested for energy in the small intestine. It goes to the large intestine where it creates good gut flora. I guess it's good for weight loss, too, but I don't need to worry about that. I also don't need to worry about resistant starch. I just thought it was interesting to learn about, and I thought I'd try the green banana thing. I guess it's popular in the low carb crowd, of which I'm on the opposite, carb the eff up end of the spectrum. The only problem for me was that I didn't get the boost to the brain that a smoothie or a bowl of overnight oats gives me, so I gave in to coffee, which kills my gut from decades of overuse. Ouch! I don't feel so great any more.

Veg*ns get plenty of resistant starch. We don't need to go out of our way. There's plenty of it in whole grains and legumes. Even white pasta and rice contain high amounts if you let them cool to room temp. Sushi rice is a good source for this reason. Cold potatoes, too, like potato salad. I guess low carbers are even putting potato starch in their smoothies! Irony? I'll take the whole potato, thank you very much. I like other starches, too. =^ )
Scorpius, silva and LedBoots like this.
#196 Old 06-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Hey @xPigeon Swarmx - that was very helpful!
I don't care for ripe bananas, and when I do eat them I poop a good bit more than usual! They don't bother me-other than I don't need to poop anymore than I already do!.
I do like them with a bit of green at the ends, and they make me feel good.
Interesting about the cold white starches too!
#197 Old 06-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Hey @xPigeon Swarmx - that was very helpful!
I don't care for ripe bananas, and when I do eat them I poop a good bit more than usual! They don't bother me-other than I don't need to poop anymore than I already do!.
I do like them with a bit of green at the ends, and they make me feel good.
Interesting about the cold white starches too!
Yeah, and it's good for me; I don't much like hot food anyway. I usually eat my meals warm or at room temp. Especially pasta. I don't like it hot.
#198 Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry but eating 10,950 bananas in a year (10,980 in a leap year) or 547,500 over 50 years seems a bit excessive to me.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#199 Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Sorry but eating 10,950 bananas in a year (10,980 in a leap year) or 547,500 over 50 years seems a bit excessive to me.
I love bananas, and I eat them quite frequently.

But my practical side, the side that almost always wins, prefers rice.

Rice is shelf stable,stomach soothing,delicious, cheap, found everywhere (including restaurants), easy to cook and store, and I believe I mentioned cheap?

If I had to eat 3,000 calories a day (is that about what 30 bananas is?) Id probably go for rice instead of bananas.

Of course I'd have to supplement my daily rice with some fruit and veggies so I didnt die, of course.
#200 Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I struggle to relate to a lot of vegans, they tend to be pretty unscientific and make bold claims they can't prove. The one that bothers me most is that we have the digestive system of an omnivore, which is completely false. I find people like Freelee put a lot of reasonable people off of veganism because she's too pushy, and says extreme and false things. It's that kind of thing that makes me hesitant to say I'm vegan because others presume I'm preachy and ignorant before they know me better.
#201 Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post
I struggle to relate to a lot of vegans, they tend to be pretty unscientific and make bold claims they can't prove. The one that bothers me most is that we have the digestive system of an omnivore, which is completely false. I find people like Freelee put a lot of reasonable people off of veganism because she's too pushy, and says extreme and false things. It's that kind of thing that makes me hesitant to say I'm vegan because others presume I'm preachy and ignorant before they know me better.
Funny, that's how I feel about most omnivores
LedBoots likes this.
#202 Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Well, perhaps it is your approach rather than your veg*ism that puts people off.

For example, reread the first sentence in your post. "I struggle to relate to a lot of vegans, they tend to be unscientific and make bold claims they can't prove." How do you think that makes vegans feel? Substitute another word for "vegans" in your sentence: try "women", black people", "Canadians"...See how it comes off as lumping a group together and making wild and denigrating claims?
#203 Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
My claim was nothing to do with how we view obese people, but a genuine question as to how someone could possibly be healthy and not eventually reach a certain size that was considered more natural for a diet like that.
My mother did hard physical labor all her life (her biceps were like those of a man who does regular, rigorous, weight training). She ate very little meat, sweets seldom, and subsisted mostly on the veggies she grew in her own gardens. She was obese except for those periods when she starved herself (i.e., ate well below 1,000 calories a day). She lived to 89.

I maintain the same weight no matter what I eat. I can eat all the chocolate cake I feel like stuffing into my mouth, or I can eat 1,000 calories a day, and my weight doesn't fluctuate. The only thing that has ever made a difference in my weight is that, during periods of intense depression, I can't eat at all, and then the weight rolls off me.

My father was tall and skinny (to the point of being skin and bones). He ate truly immense amounts of food, and his weight never fluctuated either. His siblings were all the same body type as he, and had the same eating habits.

People really do have "preset" weights that are normal for them, and their bodies gravitate toward that "normal."
no whey jose and ellyray like this.
#204 Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Well, perhaps it is your approach rather than your veg*ism that puts people off.

For example, reread the first sentence in your post. "I struggle to relate to a lot of vegans, they tend to be unscientific and make bold claims they can't prove." How do you think that makes vegans feel? Substitute another word for "vegans" in your sentence: try "women", black people", "Canadians"...See how it comes off as lumping a group together and making wild and denigrating claims?
You're being ridiculous, this kind of thing is what makes other people hate vegans.
#205 Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Beginner

How is that ridiculous? When you just say, "vegans," in general, you're judging us all. Why not at least say, some vegans, or, vegans I've met. Have you met all vegans? Half of us? A third? Of course not.

I've actually done this same thing, and I'm vegan! I was judging other vegans because I was resentful because I felt like some vegans were giving us a bad name. But, somebody on veggieboards reminded me that most vegans just want to eat their stir fry in peace.

Most vegans are not preachy. This has become a stereotype. Sometimes it seems like people want us to be that way.

If some preachy vegans rub you the wrong way, please keep your complaints centered on those individuals, and leave the rest of us out of it.
#206 Old 06-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I did say "a lot of vegans". By saying "relate to" it implies those I've communicated with. I thought it was clear but I have aspergers.

I think it's ridiculous to compare being vegan, which is a choice, to inherent traits one is born with.

I'm sorry if I appear brash.

Last edited by holnrew; 06-08-2015 at 10:24 PM.
#207 Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I did say "a lot of vegans". By saying "relate to" it implies those I've communicated with. I thought it was clear but I have aspergers.

I think it's ridiculous to compare being vegan, which is a choice, to inherent traits one is born with.

I'm sorry if I appear brash.
Looking back at your initial post, I see you did say "a lot of vegans." I apologize.
leedsveg and Beautiful Joe like this.
#208 Old 06-09-2015, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Funny, that's how I feel about most omnivores
This is too funny!

Seriously though, all you guys out there who have experience with multiple vegans are lucky.

I have only met one vegan in all my life. I cant exactly stereotype all vegans based on the one I knew IRL.

If I did I would say weird stuff like, "you know vegans, always eating bagels!" which was my IRL vegan's favorite breakfast food and snack.
leedsveg and no whey jose like this.
#209 Old 06-09-2015, 03:27 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
You're being ridiculous, this kind of thing is what makes other people hate vegans.
Where do you find these vegans that people hate, vegans that make unscientific claims, etc? I wondered if you had been jumped on here at VB, but in looking back I only see helpful posts by vegans in response to your posts. I know 7 other vegans IRL and they are all helpful. Two are physicians, and they are pretty sciencey!

If you are going by facebook wars or comment sections on articles, well, those people are jerks no matter what is being discussed
#210 Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Where do you find these vegans that people hate, vegans that make unscientific claims, etc? I wondered if you had been jumped on here at VB, but in looking back I only see helpful posts by vegans in response to your posts. I know 7 other vegans IRL and they are all helpful. Two are physicians, and they are pretty sciencey!

If you are going by facebook wars or comment sections on articles, well, those people are jerks no matter what is being discussed
I can only imagine s/he was talking about vegans on Facebook. I've definitely seen some strange unscientific ideas there, but I've found the vegans I meet in person to be very rational and pleasant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page