The controversy of Freelee - Page 6 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 431Likes

#151 Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

really? so an over weight person will get messages from random people on there face book, saying i was just browsing your pictures and you look fat and ugly ?
i just find it hard to believe, theres enough people with nothing better to do in this world, but go look for fat people on face book and insult them. I'm very sorry to hear that if its true.
it just any over weight friends i have, don't seem worried about there weight.

my point is very positive, I'm actually trying to help any one that wants to lose weight. whats not helping is, people saying you can be health no matter what size you are, and discouraging people from dieting, saying you only put it back on again, and you never be able to do it its to strict, there insulting things suggesting, you should just give up and make the most of being fat, you'll never look like her on the magazine when the truth is you can when you start eating healthy you will fell better physically and mental while looking better and you´ll be more self confident. beauty is a representation of health they go hand and hand. there positive things

by the way the resin i say people i know don't experience this, is i want you to get involved and tell me of things that you have seen happen, because i don't think many of them surveys are very accrete.

re mel tar

and thats my pont, jouncy of a thousand miles begins with a single step, but that haes supports being weight ok, which is grand but if you don't lose weight on there diet after a year or so, its not a health diet

Last edited by seanE; 06-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
secondly. if some one is of average weight, they DONT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER
we need to cut the crap if our child wants to lose weight we should encourage him-her tell them then stop eating so much and do exersize
Firstly... you cannot always tell if a person has an eating disorder by his/her weight. ASSERTING SOMETHING IN ALL CAPS DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE.

Secondly, if a child wants to lose weight we should focus first on healthy food options, next on the amount of food consumed. Yes, portion control is important, but it should not be the main theme.
#153 Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

can you explain to me how some one who eats the right amount of food, can have an eating disorder.

and secondly, of course healthy foods are key, the truth is tho, its very hard to get excessively fat on healthy food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#154 Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
really? so an over weight person will get messages from random people on there face book, saying i was just browsing your pictures and you look fat and ugly ?
i just find it hard to believe, theres enough people with nothing better to do in this world, but go look for fat people on face book and insult them. I'm very sorry to hear that if its true.
it just any over weight friends i have, don't seem worried about there weight.

my point is very positive, I'm actually trying to help any one that wants to lose weight. whats not helping is, people saying you can be health no matter what size you are, and discouraging people from dieting, saying you only put it back on again, and you never be able to do it its to strict, there insulting things suggesting, you should just give up and make the most of being fat, you'll never look like her on the magazine when the truth is you can when you start eating healthy you will fell better physically and mental while looking better and you´ll be more self confident. beauty is a representation of health they go hand and hand. there positive things

by the way the resin i say people i know don't experience this, is i want you to get involved and tell me of things that you have seen happen, because i don't think many of them surveys are very accrete.

re mel tar

and thats my pont, jouncy of a thousand miles begins with a single step, but that haes supports being weight ok, which is grand but if you don't lose weight on there diet after a year or so, its not a health diet
:what:

Once again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Health at every size= you can start doing healthy things, at any every size.

If a 600lb bedbound person decides to start eating a bowl oatmeal for breakfast, instead of a large fatty fried meal, then I support them in that endeavor.

If a 600 lb bedbound person decides to switch from soda pop to ice water as their beverage of choice, that is great.

Little changes are still steps in the right direction.
People are harassed randomly over the internet all the time. It's called "trolling." I'm sure a quick search can lead you to a multitude of horrible examples. Other people feel it's their mission in life to degrade others who don't share their lifestyle or views.

Refusal to acknowledge a problem does not actually make it go away. Perhaps rereading the thread with the intent to understand, not reply, could be useful.

Arguments from personal incredulity will get you nowhere. It helps to remember that the world is larger than your personal experience.

No, I'm not trying to be "mean." I'm trying to help you out here.
#155 Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
can you explain to me how some one who eats the right amount of food, can have an eating disorder.

and secondly, of course healthy foods are key, the truth is tho, its very hard to get excessively fat on healthy food.
Since you don't trust the information, statistics, and personal experiences shared here, perhaps you should do your own research.

There are numerous informational websites all devoted to explaining eating disorders.
#156 Old 06-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

No one is too fat or thin to strive for health. You dont have to be in a state of perfect health to start doing healthful things.

Also- healthy living is not a priority for everyone RIGHT NOW. maybe someday it will be, and maybe they will never make it a priority.

The crime/shame here is that there isnt a clear plan of action for what a person should do when they do want to be begin being healthful. (ie- should I eat more meat, and cut back on rice?)
#157 Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned

ok so in a week an overweight person could get 1?, 10?, insults its very sad, but to be honest i don't know who i pity more the troll or the person being insulted.
i don't see what difference it makes, most trolls are closer to an neanderthal that a real person, so i think people should just ignore them, if your comfortable in you body it dose not matter what people say but if it dose. thers still no problam because you can lose weight .

my point is you can't stop trolls, so like it or not your just going to have to get comfortable in your own body, whether that means make friends with your fat, or lose it, its completely your choice.
#158 Old 06-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Banned

guys I'm sorry, what i saw on wike was that the haes means stay the way you are its healthy
#159 Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
guys I'm sorry, what i saw on wike was that the haes means stay the way you are its healthy
Could you re word that sentence?

I have known people who suffered from anorexia, bulimia, and binging. I have also known many slender, beautiful people who may have not be as extreme as to say eating disorder, but had absolute crap diets. Like eating a large order of fries or shake and nothing else because it was a days worth of calories. Oh yeah, can't forget the happy hour drinks and smokes
I also know many overweight people who have far better diets, excersize, and keep away from cigarttes and booze.
Many people have come to terms with their weight control issuees and instead turn their focus on health. It works wonders for many people.

Weight isn't decided solely on healthy foods, it's decided on calories in and out whether nutritious or empty.
If a person eats the RDA of nutrients, and then goes beyond a days calories with desserts or snacky things they're still better off than a slender person who eats their calories in fast food, or smokes and isn't active.

I also need to point out I'm not at all sure what we're qualifying as slender, overweight and obese. I'm about 25 pounds overweight myself and my health is quite fine.
#160 Old 06-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

I also want to add that being critical of those with weight problems does nothing to help them. They know their problem and need to feel empowered in order to make changes
#161 Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Banned

i was referring to the healthy at every size thing, from what could see it was discouraging overweight peopole from losing weight because you can be healthy and overweight, thats just not true in the long term, how ever it has been pointed out to me that i was misinformed. about HAES?

i have never criticise overweight people, I'm criticising people who
discourage them from losing weight by saying it might be unhealthy or not have any health benefits

if you eat the right amount of the right food, with exercise you can't go wrong.
#162 Old 06-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

HAES = Health At Every Size.

(No, I didn't know either.)
#163 Old 06-02-2015, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Regarding negative messages, I think you're misunderstanding my use of the word. I'm using the second definition:

a significant political, social, or moral point that is being conveyed by a film, speech, etc.

"a campaign to get the message about home security across"

In this context, a derogatory Facebook post about a celebrity's body, an insulting comment on a news article about healthcare, an ad for a weight loss pill-- all send negative messages about our bodies.

Quote:
i was referring to the healthy at every size thing, from what could see it was discouraging overweight peopole from losing weight because you can be healthy and overweight, thats just not true in the long term, how ever it has been pointed out to me that i was misinformed. about HAES?
I explained what HAES meant back when I first mentioned it, and several other people have explained it repeatedly since then. I genuinely can't understand why this information isn't sinking in. Have I linked you to the website yet? If not, here: http://www.haescommunity.org

Quote:
i have never criticise overweight people, I'm criticising people who
discourage them from losing weight by saying it might be unhealthy or not have any health benefits
So far, you've said that fat people don't look good, that they're unable to be active or play sports, that they lack willpower, that they have inferiority complexes and hate thin people... Should I go on?

Quote:
if you eat the right amount of the right food, with exercise you can't go wrong.
What's the "right" amount of the "right" food, and which authority determines which foods in what amounts are "right" for every body?

As another poster accurately pointed out, health is much more complex than fat vs thin. There are a great many thin people who eat junk food, don't exercise, smoke, drink, take drugs, diet excessively, engage in dangerous behaviours-- and there are a great many fat people who don't do any of these things and enjoy better overall health because of it. You simply cannot make assumptions about a person's health based on appearance, no matter how desperately you insist otherwise.
#164 Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Beginner

I hope that was low-fat, healthy popcorn you were eating earlier, LeedsVeg
#165 Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
I hope that was low-fat, healthy popcorn you were eating earlier, LeedsVeg
no whey jose likes this.
#166 Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Banned

all i can say is people should do what makes them feel good, if there happy with there fat then it should not matter how many times they see an ad for weight loss,
in this age of ''social media'' every one is insulting every one, the whole world has become one big poo throwing contest,

HAES. ok so problem number 1, ´´And being thinner, even if we knew how to successfully accomplish it, will not necessarily make us healthier or happier.´´ thees are the type of comments that makes people think some overweight people have low will power, ''IM NOT SAYING THEY DO´´ but i am saying who ever wrote that line, decided instead of doing the hard work and losing weight, it would be easier to just say its impossible for me to do so,

don't dramatise things jose, am trying my best to put my point across, on a very touchy subject, i was very careful not to say that i don't think fat people are attractive,
what i said was most of the time people look better when they lose weight.
the over weight people, i´m talking about can't play sports.
and of course i don't mean all over weight people have an inferiority complex, but but when people say there always put down, i have to stand up for the thin people, i have seen put down,
where do you think the jolly fat man, and skiny ***** stereo types came from,

the right amount, of the right food, is determined by what makes you feel the best.

Last edited by seanE; 06-02-2015 at 08:22 AM.
#167 Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post

As another poster accurately pointed out, health is much more complex than fat vs thin. There are a great many thin people who eat junk food, don't exercise, smoke, drink, take drugs, diet excessively, engage in dangerous behaviours-- and there are a great many fat people who don't do any of these things and enjoy better overall health because of it. You simply cannot make assumptions about a person's health based on appearance, no matter how desperately you insist otherwise.
I'm genuinely confused. I can understand this: someone is obese and eating really healthy at the present moment. I cannot understand this: someone is obese and has been eating healthy whole foods and exercising regularly for 5 years.

I seriously don't understand how someone who has lived healthily and exercised well long term could ever possibly be obese? You would naturally slim down. You would become lean. That's how we were naturally designed to be. Humans wouldn't evolve to be "fat" if they were living healthily and actively. That just wouldn't make sense.

In short: I get how an obese person can be eating healthy at that moment, but not how someone who has been healthy and active long term wouldn't naturally be losing fat and getting leaner.
seanE likes this.

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#168 Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
I'm genuinely confused. I can understand this: someone is obese and eating really healthy at the present moment. I cannot understand this: someone is obese and has been eating healthy whole foods and exercising regularly for 5 years.

I seriously don't understand how someone who has lived healthily and exercised well long term could ever possibly be obese? You would naturally slim down. You would become lean. That's how we were naturally designed to be. Humans wouldn't evolve to be "fat" if they were living healthily and actively. That just wouldn't make sense.

In short: I get how an obese person can be eating healthy at that moment, but not how someone who has been healthy and active long term wouldn't naturally be losing fat and getting leaner.
The complicated answer, as explained by scientist H.B. Harris:

"Body weight is regulated at a predetermined, or preferred, level by a feedback control mechanism. Information from the periphery is carried by an affector to a central controller located in the hypothalamus. The controller integrates and transduces the information into an effector signal that modulates food intake or energy expenditure to correct any deviations in body weight from set-point. Evidence for involvement of various factors and physiological systems in the control of food intake and regulation of body weight and fat are reviewed within the context of a control model. Current working hypotheses include roles for nutrients, dietary composition and organoleptic properties, hormones, neural pathways, various brain nuclei, and many neurotransmitters in the regulation of food intake. It is concluded that regulation of body weight in relation to one specific parameter related to energy balance is unrealistic. It seems appropriate to assume that the level at which body weight and body fat content are maintained represents the equilibria achieved by regulation of many parameters." (Harris, H. B. (1990). Role of set-point theory in regulation of body weight. FASEB ], 4. 3310-3318.)

The simple answer, as explained by me : Every body is different.

We each metabolize calories at different rates, build muscle at different rates, store fat at different rates and in different places according to genetic and environmental factors (age, sex, hormone levels, brain function, medications, family history, etc) and our bodies are designed to maintain a set weight, which varies from individual to individual. We can make changes to our diet and exercise that will result in weight gain or loss within a certain range, but beyond that range our bodies will tend toward burning or storing fat in an effort to get us closer to our individual set weight. Our set weight can be changed over time, but that doesn't happen quickly and is still dependent on many factors.
#169 Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Banned

of cours every on is different, but quite frankly the size of some people now a days is unprecedented, it has never been seen at any point in history before, some thing has changed, most probably the amount of exercise people are doing, and the availability of cheap un nourishing food.
there is natural ''small'' ''medium'' and ''large'' but recently we've added, ''x large'' ''xx large'' ''xxx large'' and there seems like no end in sight, it would apear wire leaning on the big side.
#170 Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
of cours every on is different, but quite frankly the size of some people now a days is unprecedented, it has never been seen at any point in history before, some thing has changed, most probably the amount of exercise people are doing, and the availability of cheap un nourishing food.
there is natural ''small'' ''medium'' and ''large'' but recently we've added, ''x large'' ''xx large'' ''xxx large'' and there seems like no end in sight, it would apear wire leaning on the big side.
As a species, humans have changed in many ways over the last century. We're also taller than ever and we live longer than ever. We're an adaptable species. We change on a fundamental level as our environment changes.
Mufflon, Jasminedesi16 and ellyray like this.
#171 Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

so much depends on how you define healthy.

i think that in the strictest sense of the word, it would mean maximizing one's chances to reach 100 or beyond, with an absence of food-related diseases like CHD, CVD/stroke, type II diabetes, and macular degeneration, diverticulosis/diverticulitis, and many types of cancers, etc.

in that sense there is no question, thinner but not too thin is better.

a lot of people who look healthy are building up arterial plaques even at a young age. you can't see unless you do a cardiac cath test or a pet scan. or they are eating foods that promote cancers, even if they are vegan.

or they are carrying a lot of metabolically active fat that promotes breast or prostate cancer.

i don't want any of that.

my mom was already dead from that when she was younger than me. so my definition is very stringent.

another way of putting it is that i have the worst possible genetics.

so i don't want to take any chances with the largest environmental assault of all: what i eat.
#172 Old 06-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
The simple answer, as explained by me : Every body is different.

We each metabolize calories at different rates, build muscle at different rates, store fat at different rates and in different places according to genetic and environmental factors (age, sex, hormone levels, brain function, medications, family history, etc) and our bodies are designed to maintain a set weight, which varies from individual to individual. We can make changes to our diet and exercise that will result in weight gain or loss within a certain range, but beyond that range our bodies will tend toward burning or storing fat in an effort to get us closer to our individual set weight. Our set weight can be changed over time, but that doesn't happen quickly and is still dependent on many factors.
I can very much accept that someone's set weight make look "tubby" or "fat" and may have a calculated BMI outside the range considered healthy, even though that is their set weight, but I still don't see how someone could have a set weight of obese. The body would never have a set weight like the photo below when they live a fantastic lifestyle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Big-Fat-Fabulous-Life-Star-Says-She-Happy.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	9929  
azerea_02 likes this.

Check out my blog:

Last edited by lightergait; 06-05-2015 at 01:40 PM.
#173 Old 06-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Good job, making sure that the photo you post of overweight people shows them eating ice cream.
#174 Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Banned

the DNA, of a species can not change in a period of 100 years.
we live longer, but living standards drop rapidly after 60, arthritis, alzheimer's, brittle bones, people end up in nursing homes, and the like and no one wants to end up there.
and the most probable cause of people growing taller, is the growth hormones they pump the cows with, i see 6.5ft 15yo. this can cause its own problems, i know a guy and his bones are growing to fast for his body. ''kind of like what happens the factory hens''.

i don't want any one to take what I'm saying personally,

i just think we should stick to facts, its not every bodies goal to lose weight.
but if your going to say its healthy, i consider that a dangerous remark, and you need to back up your clams with logic and risen.

also i think people automatically think your poking fun at them when this topic gets brought up.
the porous of that ice cream photo was to relay the message that it makes you fat, most over weight people i know don't seem to eat more than every one else, they just eat one extra snickers bar in the day and that can add up.

Last edited by seanE; 06-05-2015 at 12:01 PM.
#175 Old 06-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
and the most probable cause of people growing taller, is the growth hormones they pump the cows with, i see 6.5ft 15yo. this can cause its own problems, i know a guy and his bones are growing to fast for his body. ''kind of like what happens the factory hens''.
yes, i think most people are getting taller because of their diets in childhood.

tall people have higher risks for cancers:

http://www.livescience.com/35788-tal...ncer-risk.html
#176 Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
and the most probable cause of people growing taller, is the growth hormones they pump the cows with
Please provide firm evidence for this statement.
#177 Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Banned

il' look more in the morning. lol
it was not meant to be scientific fact, ''but i do remember reading about it some where'' it was just some thing i was thinking, if they give cows ''GH'' and they milk them, surly its in the milk.
#178 Old 06-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
Good job, making sure that the photo you post of overweight people shows them eating ice cream.
Was this sarcastic? I genuinely just pulled a photo from the internet of bodies that match the image in my head. The ice cream had nothing to do with it.

I changed the photo. Happy now?
seanE likes this.

Check out my blog:

Last edited by lightergait; 06-05-2015 at 01:40 PM.
#179 Old 06-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
il' look more in the morning. lol
it was not meant to be scientific fact, ''but i do remember reading about it some where'' it was just some thing i was thinking, if they give cows ''GH'' and they milk them, surly its in the milk.
I think if a person wants to be taken at all seriously when making health and wellbeing assertions such as:

a cavity in a tooth can cure itself
3 day fasting can cure cancer, heart disease and ....more or less everything else
people are taller because of the growth hormones pumped into cows
etc

then they have to provide something concrete, such as peer reviewed scientific evidence. To merely come out with a comments such as "I do remember reading about it somewhere" and "it was not meant to be a scientific fact" won't gather understanding and respect, quite the opposite.

Last edited by leedsveg; 06-05-2015 at 01:41 PM.
#180 Old 06-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
I can very much accept that someone's set weight make look "tubby" or "fat" and may have a calculated BMI outside the range considered healthy, even though that is their set weight, but I still don't see how someone could have a set weight of obese. The body would never have a set weight like the photo below when they live a fantastic lifestyle.
Ahh, the ever-popular "headless fatties eating ice cream" photo. Classy! (Edit: I see you've changed the photo. Good call. It's sort of a cliche that every article or news story about the "obesity epidemic" includes faceless fat bodies eating.)

One study conducted by the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital recruited obese athletes. They were incredibly fit, having run marathons and competed in long-distance bike races, with rigorous training schedules and exercise regimens-- and they were obese, with 30% body fat. The study found that they were just as healthy, metabolically speaking, as similar athletes of normal weight, and their bodies actually became stronger from carrying the extra weight. Their lungs and hearts in particular were more efficient.

Santiago Lorenzo, PhD, who lead the study, said: "The bodies of the obese athletes in our study have adapted after years of conditioning. They have developed an ability to generate higher airflow and deliver ample oxygen to their blood and muscles. For typical obese people who want to become active, this may mean that they are not going to have the limitations we previously assumed they would."

It's fitness, not fatness, which determines health. Multiple studies have challenged the idea that we can judge a person's health by appearance. Healthy habits lead to better health, and sometimes to weight loss -- but the two aren't the same thing. I don't know why anyone would want it to be otherwise. If you're genuinely interested in creating a healthier populace, encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables and to exercise. These habits have been shown to improve fitness, happiness, and quality of life. What is the benefit of focusing on weight rather than health, aside from trying to justify making negative judgments of others' bodies? Is it simply the desire to feel superior to others?

Quote:
but if your going to say its healthy, i consider that a dangerous remark, and you need to back up your clams with logic and risen.
I've referenced several studies and articles which you're welcome to read if you're genuinely interested.

Quote:
the porous of that ice cream photo was to relay the message that it makes you fat, most over weight people i know don't seem to eat more than every one else, they just eat one extra snickers bar in the day and that can add up.
Ice cream and candy bars don't necessarily make you fat. People of all sizes eat ice cream and candy bars. Too much can affect your health, but not necessarily your weight. Lord knows I've eaten plenty of ice cream and candy bars in my lifetime, and I've never been fat. There are a slew of factors which contribute to weight. It is not as simplistic as you're trying to make it out to be.

If the potentially harmful activity is eating too much ice cream, then focus on encouraging people, fat or thin, to cut back on ice cream. Why focus on an unrelated trait with only a marginal connection to the issue when you could be focusing on the issue itself? Are you truly concerned with health, or are you just looking for a reason to consider yourself superior to fat people?

Last edited by no whey jose; 06-05-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page