The controversy of Freelee - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 431Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 Old 05-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
firstly i was not directly referring to you, i was referring to the stereo types you were using as examples, in your posts.
because the likeliness of some one following her diet to the point of harm is very slim i think more people would benefit than get harmed


my pont is people act like this whole weight loss thing, is some new invention by the media, targeted at the youth,
if some one is over weight and dose want to get fitter, don't discourage him.
would you tell a smoker that its actually good for your health, to smoke 5 a day.
seanE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#122 Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
This is off topic, but you keep mentioning smoked almonds and they sound amazing. I really want to try them but I've never seen them anywhere! One day...
Oh man that is so sad!

Blue diamond brand "smokehouse" almonds are my favorite brand of smoked almonds in the US, but I have no clue where you'd find them in the UK.

They taste better than any animal product food I've ever eaten.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#123 Old 05-31-2015, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
firstly i was not directly referring to you, i was referring to the stereo types you were using as examples, in your posts.
because the likeliness of some one following her diet to the point of harm is very slim i think more people would benefit than get harmed


my pont is people act like this whole weight loss thing, is some new invention by the media, targeted at the youth,
if some one is over weight and dose want to get fitter, don't discourage him.
would you tell a smoker that its actually good for your health, to smoke 5 a day.
Well smoking 5 cigs a day is better than a pack, if only because it's a step in the right direction.

When I was fat, I was so unfit that a long walk was pretty tough for me.

I would be discouraged as hell if someone told me my excersize was so low intensity I might as well be sitting On the couch.

Now I can do some pretty high impact excersizes, but I couldn't always do that.

A healthy lifestyle can start at any time, regardless of fitness, health, age or body size. Meet people were they are at.
no whey jose likes this.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#124 Old 05-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
firstly i was not directly referring to you, i was referring to the stereo types you were using as examples, in your posts.
I don't see how a statement like "you lack the willpower to lose weight" or "stop bashing people who eat healthy" could refer to stereotypes in my post. Could you clarify that?

Quote:
because the likeliness of some one following her diet to the point of harm is very slim i think more people would benefit than get harmed
Do you have anything to back that up? Because your opinion runs contrary to everything I've read on the subject.

According to the National Eating Disorders Association, 35% of "normal" dieters progress into pathological dieting (unhealthy behaviours, obsession, bingeing and purging, etc), and roughly 25% of those develop a full blown eating disorder. (http://www.byui.edu/counseling-cente...dieting-is-out) Considering that 45 million Americans go on a diet each year (as reported by the Boston Medical Centre), that means that over 15 million people stand to progress to pathological dieting each year in America alone. Do those chances seem "slim" to you?

Now consider that a study run by the American Psychological Foundation found that, two years after beginning a diet, up to one third of dieters actually weigh more than before starting! (https://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=...ieting&f=false) So, you're encouraging people to attempt something with a high likelihood of failure and a significant risk of harm... why, again? To prove that they're strong-willed?

Quote:
my pont is people act like this whole weight loss thing, is some new invention by the media, targeted at the youth
You were implying that dieting has existed since prehistoric times? That's factually incorrect. Dieting has only been around since the 19th century. (Here's an article on the history of diets: http://m.livescience.com/18131-women...g-history.html) Before then, standards of beauty (while always oppressive regardless of specifics) generally did not include an emphasis on thinness. That's a relatively recent phenomenon.

Quote:
if some one is over weight and dose want to get fitter, don't discourage him.
would you tell a smoker that its actually good for your health, to smoke 5 a day.
I don't believe I've been discouraging anyone from getting fitter. I've endorsed Health At Every Size, which encourages everyone to adopt healthier eating habits and to be more active regardless of size, for the purpose of gaining health rather than losing weight. There is a significant difference between getting fit and getting thin.

Furthermore, I don't believe that anyone, regardless of size or dietary choices, deserves to be stereotyped and ridiculed on the basis of appearance. I would still like to hear your justification for this, since all you've done so far is feign concern for their health while refusing to address any of the points I've raised or respond to any of the articles I've posted.
Mufflon, Vidal Pierre and ellyray like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#125 Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
No whey brings up a lot of really good points here.

I think a lot of people hide behind concern, when really, they just think fat people are lazy, smelly, and repulsive.

If I thought those things about myself, I'd be pretty unmotivated to change my way of life!

Especially when some people who adopt a healthy lifestyle only get down to the "overweight" catagory of the BMI chart, and never quite reach that fitness model look.
no whey jose likes this.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#126 Old 05-31-2015, 07:54 PM
Beginner
 
xPigeon Swarmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeVegan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
Lately I seem to have come across so many people that are determined to paint Freelee as a bad person and a completely crazy, judgemental vegan.

I've always said her lifestyle can be considered extreme and not to listen to everything that she says, but am also aware that her overall message is great and clear and that she's a wonderful activist from having converted thousands of people to veganism.

Would any of you rather her not be in the public eye because of the stuff she does wrong, even though she's converted thousands? I guess it's a bit like the controversy of Gary.
my opinion on vegan activists of any kind is that

#1 it's better to be out there saying something than doing nothing

#2 it's dangerous for us viewers/followers/observers to place *anyone* Gary, Freelee, etc on a inhuman pedestal- when they then act human we get pissed off.

#3 you don't have to agree with them 100% of the time to gain something from their message

#4 different approaches reach and affect different people. even if i don't agree with an approach or wouldn't do it myself, others go vegan from it, so who am i to say?

the one think i'll never support, though, is activists advocating "humane" practices. or that "dairy and eggs aren't that bad" etc.
These are all great points. One can argue that it's humane to euthanize a cow if it's diseased and suffering. However, it's never humane to slaughter a cow, or any other sentient being, for human food -- especially when we know for sure eating animal foods is not necessary for us to live a long and healthy life. This is simple logic. Supporting welfare as a step toward liberation is a valid argument, like Bruce, but meat is never humane. I'll never support this argument.

When I was eating meat, I was only able to do so by ignoring my conscience. When I decided to take a day to think honestly about it, I went vegan. I don't relate to people who follow the dictate of their own consciences and still decide it's okay to eat meat. I felt guilty the whole time, as I'm sure many others do.

In regards to Freelee, I dont know what world we live in where it's controversial to recommend eating lots of fruit and rice, exercise, drink lots of water and get a lot of sleep.

That being said, I was pretty shocked when she said non-vegans should be killed. It's one thing to think it, (I've thought it, in a cloud of anger) but to say it in a youtube video is irresponsible, in my opinion. She's human, but people look up to her now. She's a public figure. I don't know if she's said anything about those comments since posting that video. Has she?

I'd be interested to know what you think about her making these comments.

By the way, I love your videos! =^ )
xPigeon Swarmx is offline  
#127 Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
i can't evan remember now, but in one of your previous posts, you said if you did one of them diets, you would end up binging on cupcakes and gain weigh,
seeing that you haven't don one of them diets it was that stereo type yo yo diet, i was referring to, its not the diets fault if you binge on cupcakes,

too back it up, i have never seen an anorexic, and in my country there a lot of over weight people.

and no my point was the complete opposite, that the only reason dieting has come to be the last few years, is because over weightiness is a new phenomenon.

i just need to clarify, I'm only endorsing weight loss where it would also promote health. but in the western world, due to the abundance of food, most of us would benefit from losing a few.

and heathy at every size, dose that include very obese people, because thats who am referring to.

you think, i just have some thing against fat people, by saying theres nothing wrong with losing weight?.
i think you just have some thing against thin people because it seems like they don't have to work hard to stay a normal size.

IAM NOT REFERING TO PLUMP PEOPLE, IM REFERING TO PEOPLE WHOS LIVING STANDERD IS BEING REDUCED BY THER WEIGHT.

Last edited by seanE; 06-01-2015 at 01:32 AM.
seanE is offline  
#128 Old 06-01-2015, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
BiteSizeVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx View Post
These are all great points. One can argue that it's humane to euthanize a cow if it's diseased and suffering. However, it's never humane to slaughter a cow, or any other sentient being, for human food -- especially when we know for sure eating animal foods is not necessary for us to live a long and healthy life. This is simple logic. Supporting welfare as a step toward liberation is a valid argument, like Bruce, but meat is never humane. I'll never support this argument.

When I was eating meat, I was only able to do so by ignoring my conscience. When I decided to take a day to think honestly about it, I went vegan. I don't relate to people who follow the dictate of their own consciences and still decide it's okay to eat meat. I felt guilty the whole time, as I'm sure many others do.

In regards to Freelee, I dont know what world we live in where it's controversial to recommend eating lots of fruit and rice, exercise, drink lots of water and get a lot of sleep.

That being said, I was pretty shocked when she said non-vegans should be killed. It's one thing to think it, (I've thought it, in a cloud of anger) but to say it in a youtube video is irresponsible, in my opinion. She's human, but people look up to her now. She's a public figure. I don't know if she's said anything about those comments since posting that video. Has she?

I'd be interested to know what you think about her making these comments.

By the way, I love your videos! =^ )
hey thanks! i think she has re-commented on it, but not sure...i may be doing a video commenting on this a bit (way out of my wheelhouse and only as a teachable moment type of approach)...we'll see.

--------
Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiteSizeVegan is offline  
#129 Old 06-01-2015, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
i can't evan remember now, but in one of your previous posts, you said if you did one of them diets, you would end up binging on cupcakes and gain weigh,
seeing that you haven't don one of them diets it was that stereo type yo yo diet, i was referring to, its not the diets fault if you binge on cupcakes,
I've shared several articles and studies now on the ineffectiveness of dieting and the propensity of dieters to regain weight after dieting. If you want to respond to those (maybe you disagree with their research methods or you think the results were skewed for some reason?) then I'll be glad to hear your opinion. Until then, we really can't engage in a meaningful conversation.

Quote:
too back it up, i have never seen an anorexic, and in my country there a lot of over weight people.
That's your subjective opinion based only on your own personal experiences. I'm asking you to back up your opinions with facts and statistics or at least logic and reasoning.

"Anorexia is rare because I've never met an anorexic" is an irrational statement. You wouldn't know if you'd met someone suffering from anorexia, bulimia, or EDNOS unless they told you about it. We've been through this before on the feminism board, where you claimed that rapists don't exist because you don't know any, and women in your country aren't harassed because you've never seen it happen. If you tell me what country you live in, I'll be glad to look up the statistics for eating disorders in your area. I guarantee the results will surprise you.

Quote:
and no my point was the complete opposite, that the only reason dieting has come to be the last few years, is because over weightiness is a new phenomenon.
Fatness isn't new. The way we view fatness is:

"This ability to store surplus fat from the least possible amount of food intake may have made the difference between life and death, not only for the individual but also -- more importantly -- for the species," Garabed Eknoyan, M.D., of the Baylor College of Medicine, wrote in a 2006 history of obesity. "Those who could store fat easily had an evolutionary advantage in the harsh environment of early hunters and gatherers. Only in the latter half of the nineteenth century did being fat begin to be stigmatized for aesthetic reasons."

Basically, those with a physiological predisposition toward easy fat-storage were at a significant advantage in times of food scarcity-- which comprises much of human history. Prehistoric men didn't, as you intimated earlier, make themselves lean to attract mates and challenge the "alpha male." They struggled to find enough food to survive. Those whose bodies stored fat more efficiently had a better chance of staying alive. For much of human history afterwards, fatness was seen as a desirable indicator of good health. It's only recently that the public perception of fatness has changed.

Quote:
i just need to clarify, I'm only endorsing weight loss where it would also promote health. but in the western world, due to the abundance of food, most of us would benefit from losing a few.
You're approaching health from entirely the wrong direction. Weight loss doesn't promote health. Healthy habits sometimes result in weight loss, but it is never appropriate to make weight loss the goal of a diet or fitness program because thinness isn't a reliable indicator of health.

Quote:
and heathy at every size, dose that include very obese people, because thats who am referring to.
Yes, Health At Every Size means Health At Every Size, not Health At Every Size Except For Those Lazy, Ugly Very Obese People Who Might As Well Just Give Up. Since you're insisting that you want those same people to get healthier, I'm sincerely confused as to why you wouldn't endorse a philosophy which encourages everyone to adopt healthier habits in whatever ways they're physically able. Can you explain your objection to HAES?

Quote:
you think, i just have some thing against fat people, by saying theres nothing wrong with losing weight?
No. I think you have something against fat people because you consistently perpetuate the idea that they are all lazy, unhealthy, undisciplined, weak-willed, unattractive, and generally inferior.

I think you're horribly misinformed when you say that there's nothing wrong with losing weight, and that you're wilfully ignoring everything anyone else has said to the contrary. If you want to argue that weight-centric diets aren't harmful or that all overweight people exhibit unhealthy habits, you'll need to bring something more substantial than your personal opinions and experiences. At the very least, you could respond to any of my rebuttals.

Quote:
i think you just have some thing against thin people because it seems like they don't have to work hard to stay a normal size.
I'll challenge you again to find a single instance where I've said anything dismissive of thin people. I'll add that if you have to work hard to look a certain way, that's not your "normal" size.

Quote:
IAM NOT REFERING TO PLUMP PEOPLE, IM REFERING TO PEOPLE WHOS LIVING STANDERD IS BEING REDUCED BY THER WEIGHT.
You can't simultaneously accuse the majority of possessing these negative qualities and then say "actually, I was only talking about extremely obese people whose weight impacts their quality of life," because in that case you're talking about a small minority on the extreme end of the scale, and your comments couldn't possibly be extrapolated to society at large.
Mufflon, Shallot, leedsveg and 2 others like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#130 Old 06-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
azerea_02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I've shared several articles and studies now on the ineffectiveness of dieting and the propensity of dieters to regain weight after dieting. If you want to respond to those (maybe you disagree with their research methods or you think the results were skewed for some reason?) then I'll be glad to hear your opinion. Until then, we really can't engage in a meaningful conversation.
I think we're forgetting that Freelee commonly states that what she advocates is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. People don't hop on the raw til 4/frugivore/high starch diet as a crash diet they follow for 12 weeks right before bikini season. They do it because they believe eating this way is optimal for their long-term wellbeing. The stats provided on the likelihood of developping an eating disorder due to dieting probably refers to fad, "quick fix" diets, not healthy lifestyles.
azerea_02 is offline  
#131 Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
I think we're forgetting that Freelee commonly states that what she advocates is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. People don't hop on the raw til 4/frugivore/high starch diet as a crash diet they follow for 12 weeks right before bikini season. They do it because they believe eating this way is optimal for their long-term wellbeing. The stats provided on the likelihood of developping an eating disorder due to dieting probably refers to fad, "quick fix" diets, not healthy lifestyles.
How do you differentiate between a diet and a lifestyle? The fact that Freelee herself uses the term "lifestyle" doesn't hold much sway. I don't consider a diet with rules impressed upon a person externally to be sustainable in the long-term for the vast majority of people. Lifestyle changes are self-driven. There is no one eating style that's appropriate for every individual, and you won't find a blueprint to health by copying someone else's eating habits. This is my objection to diet programs on the whole; my specific objections to Freelee's program regard the inclusion of dangerous misinformation in her videos (such as the ability of women to obtain a thigh gap and the insignificance of amennorrhea) and her condescending attitude toward those larger than her.
leedsveg and Jasminedesi16 like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 06-01-2015 at 06:08 AM.
no whey jose is offline  
#132 Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
1 if you go on a diet and lose weight, any one can figure out that if you then go back to your old habits, you will put that weight back on again, you can't blame the diet.
2 i don't need statistics, to tell me how many over weight peopler there are in my area ''ireland'', i have eyes if your anorexic your skin and bone, i would notice I'm not saying there are no anorexics all I'm saying there are very few and the ones that are, would be the same people that would take any thing to extremes.
3 healthy habits almost always, result in weight loss and muscle gain.
4 you can not be healthy, and obese not mater how many times people insist on it. telling obese people, that it is health makes them give up, not telling them that in one year, the could be filter than any one they know.
5 im not saying you hate thin people, am saying have you ever looked at the hate websites about free lee, from personal experience, id say most of them people have tried her diet, failed and then blame her.

6 just lets look at the propose of fat, it is new, it is not meant to be carried around with you all year round, it is to provide nourishment in times of scarcity, eat when there is abundance, then when there is very little food, you use your reserves.
cars only need a full fuel tank if there will be no gas station for a long time, there is no food scerasty any more, so the weight just keeps building and is never used.

7 if you look at a greek statue that is what has allways been seen as a good body, however in the last few years peoples attitude, towards weight has change, it is more acceptable, i see lots of obese people walking around in skin tight lycra there is no shame. its not like they all hate them selves.

8 it is unnatural to have a constant food supply, limiting your food intake is not an eating disorder, it is just mimicking the way our ancestors lived, and that leads to ultimate health.

my point is we already have a problem with obesity, if every one was anorexic we could see people are to consened about there image, and we need to do some thing, but there not there obese, so how dos any one see the need to make it more acceptable, in search of a better word
maybe its only my country has this problem, but i thought america was the same.

Last edited by seanE; 06-01-2015 at 07:30 AM.
seanE is offline  
#133 Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
and in response to you i hate fat people yada yada, over weight people are of course equal in most regards
except for athletics, apart from sumos which train daily, atleast I've never come across it.

and yes I'm talking about extremely fat people, the only thing is there not a minority, i would say about 20per are very fat compared to non 100 years ago.
and there kids are being brought up the same.
seanE is offline  
#134 Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
Health at every size= you can start doing healthy things, at any every size.

If a 600lb bedbound person decides to start eating a bowl oatmeal for breakfast, instead of a large fatty fried meal, then I support them in that endeavor.

If a 600 lb bedbound person decides to switch from soda pop to ice water as their beverage of choice, that is great.

Little changes are still steps in the right direction.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#135 Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
What is the real crime, is the nutrition information floating around. At one point I believed that butter was a health food, and would make me thin.

Lots of people are afraid of eating starchy plant foods, for fear of getting fat or fatter, and stick to bacon and eggs/butter/animal foods in general.

I have seen in a nutrition text book I got from the thrift store, that I should always eat cheese with fruit, because the fruit alone would spike my blood sugar, and make me fat. So I should eat what is basically a solid hunk of salted fat, to prevent becoming fat. :P
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#136 Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
am sorry if i misunderstood what healthy at every size was, but why call it that, i thought it meant, you should not aim to lose weight because that would be unhealthy for you.
and bad nutritional advice is a crime, thats why i don't like hearing people saying, you should not try to lose weight, because you might develop a eating disorder,

by the way when i say lose weight, i don't mean stop eating every thing bar bananas, i mean eat healthy and you will automatically lose weight, while getting healthier.

i just fine it funny in a time in history, where people have never been fatter, we are worried about people getting too thin.
seanE is offline  
#137 Old 06-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
1 if you go on a diet and lose weight, any one can figure out that if you then go back to your old habits, you will put that weight back on again, you can't blame the diet.
If a diet isn't sustainable in the long-term, how effective a diet could it possibly be?


Quote:
2 i don't need statistics, to tell me how many over weight peopler there are in my area ''ireland'', i have eyes if your anorexic your skin and bone, i would notice I'm not saying there are no anorexics all I'm saying there are very few and the ones that are, would be the same people that would take any thing to extremes.
Your ignorance of the reality of eating disorders is downright embarrassing. According to BodyWhys, the Irish Association for Eating Disorders, up to 200,000 people in Ireland suffer from an eating disorder, with 400 new cases each year. Even if the number of people you observe in your daily life were a reliable sample of the general population of Ireland (which it isn't, as we've already established), you can't see eating disorders. Many people who suffer are of average weight. You wouldn't know unless they told you-- and, judging by your attitude, I can't imagine many people would feel comfortable sharing such personal information with you.

You really need to accept and understand that your personal experiences don't accurately reflect the reality of the world at large. This includes your persistent belief that prejudice and sexism don't exist unless you're watching it with your own eyes. Here's a website created for the sole purpose of allowing Irish women to share their experiences with street harassment: http://dublin.ihollaback.org

Quote:
3 healthy habits almost always, result in weight loss and muscle gain.
If this is true, then focus on healthy habits rather than weight loss. Our current obsession with thinness obviously isn't helping anyone (aside from lining the pockets of those in the weight loss industry.)

Quote:
4 you can not be healthy, and obese not mater how many times people insist on it. telling obese people, that it is health makes them give up, not telling them that in one year, the could be filter than any one they know.
You seem to not be comprehending the philosophy behind HAES. The aim is to encourage healthier habits at every size without focusing on weight or shaming anyone for the way they look. I'll ask you again: if you truly care about health rather than aesthetics, why don't you advocate HAES?

Quote:
5 im not saying you hate thin people, am saying have you ever looked at the hate websites about free lee, from personal experience, id say most of them people have tried her diet, failed and then blame her.
No, I've never looked at hate websites of any kind. I'm also not sure how your "personal experience" could lead you to make such wild assumptions about people you've never met-- unless you, personally, tried Freelee's diet and then created a hate site.

I'll respond to your other points later. There's a Catfish marathon on!
no whey jose is offline  
#138 Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
firstly. the point of a diet is to lose a lot of weight you put on while you had bad habits, there not sopped to be a life style.

secondly. if some one is of average weight, they DONT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER.

thirdly. healthy habits make you a normal weight, being a normal weight is a healthy habit, it dose not mater which way i say it, there the same thing.

of course i support healthy habits at any size, you've got to start somewhere right, but you can't think by eating a bowl of mussily with your cereal in the morning, is going to make you healthy, if you get to the stage where your mobility is affected by your weight, you have to do some thing drastic to get back on track.

people that spend money on some woowoo weight lose schema, buy into it them selves so they don't need to stop eating, every one knows if you want to lose weight, you stop eating crap food.

we as a race have never been fatter, how could you think we need to be any more accepting of peoples body size, i have no problem with overweight people if that makes them happy, but the fact is most of them are´t and they blame this diet didn't work, so thats why there still overweight

we need to cut the crap if our child wants to lose weight we should encourage him-her tell them then stop eating so much and do exersize

Last edited by seanE; 06-01-2015 at 09:39 AM.
seanE is offline  
#139 Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
firstly. the point of a diet is to lose a lot of weight you put on while you had bad habits, there not sopped to be a life style.

secondly. if some one is of average weight, they DONT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER.

thirdly. healthy habits make you a normal weight, being a normal weight is a healthy habit, it dose not mater which way i say it, there the same thing.

of course i support healthy habits at any size, you've got to start somewhere right, but you can't think by eating a bowl of mussily with your cereal in the morning, is going to make you healthy, if you get to the stage where your mobility is affected by your weight, you have to do some thing drastic to get back on track.

people that spend money on some woowoo weight lose schema, buy into it them selves so they don't need to stop eating, every one knows if you want to lose weight, you stop eating crap food.

we as a race have never been fatter, how could you think we need to be any more accepting of peoples body size, i have no problem with overweight people if that makes them happy, but the fact is most of them are´t and they blame this diet didn't work, so thats why there still overweight

we need to cut the crap if our child wants to lose weight we should encourage him-her tell them then stop eating so much and do exersize
Not true.
no whey jose and ellyray like this.
LedBoots is offline  
#140 Old 06-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post

secondly. if some one is of average weight, they DONT HAVE AN EATING DISORDER.
Jesus christ, educate yourself. To be diagnosed with anorexia nervosa (the RAREST eating disorder), the individual has to be at 85% of their ideal body weight. For a woman who is 5 foot 5 inches, this means less than 106 lbs.
That being said, THERE ARE NO WEIGHT CRITERIA for every other type of eating disorder: bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, and eating disorder NOS, which, as I stated before, are the most common types of eating disoders.

Bottom line: health can be at any size; eating disorders can be at any size.
no whey jose and ellyray like this.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#141 Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
i find the idea that people think we have a problem with fat shaming quite amusing, when we live in a world where there are so many over weight people.
seanE is offline  
#142 Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
holy crap, pleas stop saying health can be at any size, how healthy do you think that guy that has to be taken out of his house by forklift is,
seanE is offline  
#143 Old 06-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
ok i want people to vote on this .

percentage of people that are under weight, vs over weight.
seanE is offline  
#144 Old 06-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London, UK
Posts: 135
Just to comment on the debate over-weight people cannot be healthy and over-weight. Being over-weight is unhealthy you're more likely to get heart attacks, strokes and other chronic diseases.


So fuss health cannot be at any size surely...
seanE likes this.
Vidal Pierre is offline  
#145 Old 06-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London, UK
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
holy crap, pleas stop saying health can be at any size, how healthy do you think that guy that has to be taken out of his house by forklift is,
I agree with you health can't be at any weight its ridiculous to say so.
Vidal Pierre is offline  
#146 Old 06-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
leedsveg is offline  
#147 Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
i find the idea that people think we have a problem with fat shaming quite amusing, when we live in a world where there are so many over weight people.
Do we have a problem with fat shaming?

Blogger Ragen Chastain chose a typical day-- grocery shopping, working, driving with the radio on, casually surfing the internet-- to catalogue every message she received about her body in a 24-hour period. Her results:

• Messages stating that it is impossible to be healthy at my weight: 217

• Messages stating that my weight makes me unattractive: 123

• Messages stating that I am lazy and don't exercise/don't exercise enough, lack will power, or am not "in control": 311

• Messages stating that I need to reach a specific BMI to be healthy: 36

• Messages stating that I am a drain on the health care system: 116

• Messages stating that I have poor eating habits: 84

• Messages suggesting that I should be "repulsed by my weight" [used those words specifically]: 19

• Messages calling me a derisive name: 152

• Messages saying something positive about people with large bodies: 3

• Messages that specifically shouted down those 3 positive comments: 231 (these are included in the categories above so they are not added into the total below)

Let's review:

• Total messages about my body: 1061

• Total negative messages: 1058 Total positive messages: 3

• About 353 negative message for each positive message.

If we extrapolate, I have been receiving:

• 7406 negative messages about my body each week

• 31,740 negative messages about my body each month

• 386,170 negative messages about my body each year

Do you think that hearing 386,170 negative messages about our bodies each year makes us more or less likely to love ourselves enough to take good care of our bodies? Do you think these messages help or hurt our overall health? Has a culture where shaming, degrading, and humiliating people because of their appearance been beneficial or detrimental for society as a whole?

If I seem to be fighting too persistently against people like Freelee and like yourself, it's because I am not interested in sitting silently by while yet more negative messages are added to the pile. Enough is enough.
Mufflon, Jasminedesi16 and ellyray like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#148 Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 199
as a blogger, you have to be abel to take **** like that, cowards hide behind there computers, while insult others, it would not make any difference whether she was fat or a super model,
any one with time on there hands to do that sort of thing should be disregarded any way. fair play to her tho.
seanE is offline  
#149 Old 06-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
as a blogger, you have to be abel to take **** like that, cowards hide behind there computers, while insult others, it would not make any difference whether she was fat or a super model,
any one with time on there hands to do that sort of thing should be disregarded any way. fair play to her tho.
You missed the point entirely, but I'm hoping that's because I didn't provide enough context.

These messages weren't directed at her, specifically. It has nothing to do with her profession. She went about her day as usual, reading only non-weight related news articles and comments, listening to radio ads, browsing Facebook. These are the same messages we all receive about fat bodies every day. You may not have noticed them because they don't apply to you and because you seem to believe they're right, but if you could exercise empathy for one moment and imagine what it must be like to receive these messages about your own body, perhaps then you'll begin to understand.

Of course, that would require you to realize that you've been sending negative messages about fat bodies throughout this entire conversation, on a public forum where fat people will read them. You're contributing to the problem. I can only hope that the few meagre positive messages I've put out make some kind of difference, because I somehow don't expect that level of self-awareness from you. I hope you prove me wrong.
Mufflon and ellyray like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#150 Old 06-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mecanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
holy crap, pleas stop saying health can be at any size, how healthy do you think that guy that has to be taken out of his house by forklift is,
So... I think this should be answered with a quote from the current thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Health at every size= you can start doing healthy things, at any every size.

If a 600lb bedbound person decides to start eating a bowl oatmeal for breakfast, instead of a large fatty fried meal, then I support them in that endeavor.

If a 600 lb bedbound person decides to switch from soda pop to ice water as their beverage of choice, that is great.

Little changes are still steps in the right direction.
no whey jose likes this.
mecanna is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off