Can we talk about dairy milk, for a little bit? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

#1 Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Can we talk about dairy milk, for a little bit?

I have stomach problems, and I have for a long time. I have GERD, and I regularly have to eat the "bland diet" (google it if you want) to limit pain.

My mother is lactose intolerant, and my sister has recently become lactose intolerant as well. They get gas and diarrhea from consuming dairy, so they avoid it.

I dont get diarrhea, but I have noticed an uptick in my stomach problems when I eat foods heavy in dairy (ie- a glass of milk, a container of yogurt, or a bowl of ice cream). I get stomach pain, and heartburn.

I would like to experiment with dropping dairy for a while (my family will think I am crazy)

Can you recommend a plant based milk for someone with stomach problems? I do not care about carbs/protien, I just want something to mix with cereal/coffee, and to have as a calcium source.

I tolerate soy stuff well, but I tend to get stomach pains from an ingredient called "carageean"..which is in soymilk, i think.

thanks for your time vegans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I really dont like making waves... can you tell? It took me the longest time to admit I wanted to be a vegetarian, so this is just one more weird thing I am doing.

And I am hardly a kid, I am 27 years old, with 2 children of my own. LOL.

This soymilk is available to me at dollar tree-

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=pr...7-1231380C180E

I also have access to rice milk, and almond milk.

Last edited by melimomTARDIS; 05-06-2015 at 07:24 AM.
#3 Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Hey meli, what country are you in? I can try to find a brand of plant milk that doesn't contain carageean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in the USA, in rural Iowa. (so I dont have access to some of the fancy stuff like hemp milk/oat cheese/what have you)
#5 Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Rice milk might be the easiest on your stomach, as it is usually quite thin and doesn't have a strong taste one way or the other.

Almond milk tastes better, though. It also has a thicker consistency for cereal, hot cocoa, etc. You stomach may be just fine with it, as well.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks river!

Rice is a very gentle food for me, and I eat it a lot to soothe my stomach. Starches in general are just lovely for my stomach issues. Even beans are fine for my stomach!

I am told that yogurt is curative, but even with eating Activia everyday (which I did for a bit) I didnt see a positive change, so I am really thinking of trying something different (ie- experimenting with a dairy free/drastically reduced dairy lifestyle)
#7 Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Thanks river!

Rice is a very gentle food for me, and I eat it a lot to soothe my stomach. Starches in general are just lovely for my stomach issues. Even beans are fine for my stomach!

I am told that yogurt is curative, but even with eating Activia everyday (which I did for a bit) I didnt see a positive change, so I am really thinking of trying something different (ie- experimenting with a dairy free/drastically reduced dairy lifestyle)
Have you tried Kombucha?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#8 Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Do you think you might like good 'ol Mocha Mix non-dairy creamer for your coffee? It doesn't have any carrageenan, and any grocery store should have it: http://www.shopwell.com/mocha-mix-no...r/p/4182000009 . It's high in calories, so I wouldn't use it on cereal, nor drink it by the glassful. It has no calcium.

In this Time Magazine article, the manufacturer of Silk-brand soymilk says it's going to phase-out carrageenan from its soymilk: http://time.com/3162074/carrageenan-whitewave/ . This phase-out hasn't happened yet. I was hoping to find you a carrageenan-free soymilk available through Amazon.com, but I was not successful.

I don't eat much cereal, but when I do, I just eat it with cold water and sugar. Sounds funny but tastes fine.

For calcium, would it work for you to just take a calcium supplement? I occasionally take a fruit-flavored calcium antacid, like Tums.
no whey jose likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#9 Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Rice Dream is a fairly ubiquitous brand of carageean-free rice milk available in the US.
River and David3 like this.
#10 Old 05-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I know where I can buy rice dream! thanks no whey!
River, David3 and no whey jose like this.
#11 Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Do you think you might like good 'ol Mocha Mix non-dairy creamer for your coffee? It doesn't have any carrageenan, and any grocery store should have it: http://www.shopwell.com/mocha-mix-no...r/p/4182000009 . It's high in calories, so I wouldn't use it on cereal, nor drink it by the glassful. It has no calcium.

In this Time Magazine article, the manufacturer of Silk-brand soymilk says it's going to phase-out carrageenan from its soymilk: http://time.com/3162074/carrageenan-whitewave/ . This phase-out hasn't happened yet. I was hoping to find you a carrageenan-free soymilk available through Amazon.com, but I was not successful.

I don't eat much cereal, but when I do, I just eat it with cold water and sugar. Sounds funny but tastes fine.

For calcium, would it work for you to just take a calcium supplement? I occasionally take a fruit-flavored calcium antacid, like Tums.
we dont have mocha mix here, but we do have coffee rich. Its a dairy free creamer the old farmers around here use. It comes in the freezer of the grocery store if you can believe that!
#12 Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know where I can buy rice dream! thanks no whey!
Let me know how you like it, if you try it! I loved their ice cream bars as a kid.
#13 Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont have access to ready made kombucha, but I hear it is quite tasty, a bit like soda.

BTW- you guys have been so kind and helpful. Thanks for taking my problem seriously.
#14 Old 05-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Let me know how you like it, if you try it! I loved their ice cream bars as a kid.
Actually I am going out today with a friend today, and I will be picking some up. I will let you know how it is when I have it with my afternoon snack.
River, David3 and no whey jose like this.
#15 Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been lactose intolerant for a very long time and never have milk unless it is in a food that I am unaware of. I used to drink a lot of almond milk, but it does contain the carageean. I have seen some that do not. I would guess you could probably order it online. You can also make your own, but it is expensive and mine did not come out good at all. I don't use almond milk anymore and that could be an option as well. There are so many things you can have for breakfast like bananas, grapefruits, steel cut oats etc. Good luck.
David3 likes this.
#16 Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Beginner

Did I read right?

Your family will think you're weird for dropping diary even though you can't digest it? WTF sorry to be rude but that sounds very stupid.
#17 Old 05-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre View Post
Did I read right?

Your family will think you're weird for dropping diary even though you can't digest it? WTF sorry to be rude but that sounds very stupid.
Because as a vegetarian my diet doesn't have meat in it, (a restriction) and then to cut out dairy, which would be yet ANOTHER restriction, would be a bit much for certain members of my close family.
#18 Old 05-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the rice milk today, cold, with a box of raisins as a midday snack.

First impression- Holy crap, its very white. not tannish like soy milk, its bright white! Looks like skim milk, only whiter.

Taste- lightly sweet. reminds me a bit of kix cereal, in a good way.

So far so good! I got the Rice Dream Original unsweetened. Its 120 calories per 8 oz glass.
River and no whey jose like this.
#19 Old 05-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems that all the replacements are not so good. I would suggest finding something else to eat. It is not that big of sacrifice. I either do a green smoothie or eat steel cut oats. It is not that pleasant but fills you up.
#20 Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
It seems that all the replacements are not so good. I would suggest finding something else to eat. It is not that big of sacrifice. I either do a green smoothie or eat steel cut oats. It is not that pleasant but fills you up.
? She said "So far so good!". She can't mix green smoothies with her coffee or cereal...

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 05-06-2015 at 02:13 PM.
#21 Old 05-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
It seems that all the replacements are not so good. I would suggest finding something else to eat. It is not that big of a sacrifice. I either do a green smoothie or eat steel cut oats. It is not that pleasant but fills you up.
I do not think sacrificing is usually necessary with Veganism, let alone change a whole morning routine.
LedBoots likes this.

Quote:
#22 Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok. Whatever works. LOL
#23 Old 05-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I do not think sacrificing is usually necessary with Veganism, let alone change a whole morning routine.
Breakfast IS a pleasant routine in my family. We love cereal and coffee!
LedBoots likes this.
#24 Old 05-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Breakfast IS a pleasant routine in my family. We love cereal and coffee!
I think morning routines are one of the most comforting things in life. Starting your day a certain comfortable and familiar way has a lot to do with how the rest of your day will go.

^_^

Quote:
#25 Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Seems like you solved your problem!!

I was going to suggest rice, soy, or almond milk. I like them all, maybe almond the best.

It literally kills me to see someone at the store buying 4 gallons of cow's milk. I want to show them my almond milk, but then a diatribe would probably follow.

More people are "surprisingly" getting lactose intolerant lately. Check out the China Study, along with a dozen other books, & see what's actually IN cow's milk. Most of Asia gets along fine with virtually no dairy. Plus, cow's milk was intended for.......baby cows.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#26 Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 PM

Cashew milk is also a good alternative, you can make it yourself by soaking 1 cup cashews for 2-4 hrs or more and then blend drained cashews with 3-4 cups water, no need to strain and very creamy, nice flavour, I love it

Also as suggested almond milk is very nice, I recommend home made as it tastes fresh and much nicer than shop bought. It's the same method as cashew milk but you need to soak the almonds 8+hours and also strain after blending. I use a nut milk bag I bought of ebay for less than $2 and it works fine!
#27 Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! Rice milk works... but I don't like it. Lol! I prefer almond milk- it's creamier than rice. Also, my kids (and all the kids I've babysat) seem to prefer almond.
#28 Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I am having my morning cup of coffee with a 1/4 cup of rice milk in it. Mixes well, no curdling. My coffee looks caramel colored, instead of light brown with dairy milk.

My lactose intolerant mother and I talked a bit last night, and she told me she was in her 20's when she stopped being able to digest dairy products. (I am 27) She recommended calcium fortified OJ, and switching to a plant milk (she uses soy milk). Mom says the dose makes the poison with dairy, so avoid the overt sources.

My other concern was my family's favorite weekly ritual, pizza night. (we go out a local pizza parlor every tuesday). I have settled on ordering my favorite veggie pizza w/out cheese, and having a bit of the salad bar/fruit for dessert on those nights.

Does this plan sound nutritionally sound? I just plan on dropping cheese, yogurt, and sour cream,ice cream etc without looking for replacement products. I'll just use things I always have on hand, like nut butter or hummus, or dairyless margerine where needed. I always have strawberry popsicles in the freezer, and I will sub ice cream for those.

Between my daily multivitamin (fortified with 50% DV of calcium) and a daily glass of fortified rice milk or fortified OJ, I think Ive met my needs. (right?)

Last edited by melimomTARDIS; 05-07-2015 at 06:31 AM.
#29 Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It must be a matter of taste, because personally I prefer plant milk to dairy milk by a lot! Steel cut oats can be lovely, too. You should try putting some fruit, peanut butter, or maple syrup all up in there.

Meli, so glad you liked the Rice Dream! You might as well try a new plant milk every time you use up a carton until you find the one you like best.
melimomTARDIS likes this.
#30 Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
Seems like you solved your problem!!

I was going to suggest rice, soy, or almond milk. I like them all, maybe almond the best.

It literally kills me to see someone at the store buying 4 gallons of cow's milk. I want to show them my almond milk, but then a diatribe would probably follow.

More people are "surprisingly" getting lactose intolerant lately. Check out the China Study, along with a dozen other books, & see what's actually IN cow's milk. Most of Asia gets along fine with virtually no dairy. Plus, cow's milk was intended for.......baby cows.
We have been WIC program participants for a long time, and they encourage children to drink a large amount of dairy milk every day. That might explain the 4 gallons at a time business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page