Can we talk about dairy milk, for a little bit? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

#31 Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I started avoiding carageean when I had really bad stomach pains after eating a yogurt that contained it. Now I am wondering if it was the carageean or the dairy in yogurt. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Does this plan sound nutritionally sound? I just plan on dropping cheese, yogurt, and sour cream,ice cream etc without looking for replacement products.
It seems to work for the hundreds of millions of people who live in Asia.

I'm going to Asia next week, and have never seen more than maybe maybe 5% of the people eat dairy. They have superior health, compared to their Western counterparts, as well.

Check out The China Study for more info. or watch the Forks Over Knives video.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#33 Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
It seems to work for the hundreds of millions of people who live in Asia.

I'm going to Asia next week, and have never seen more than maybe maybe 5% of the people eat dairy. They have superior health, compared to their Western counterparts, as well.

Check out The China Study for more info. or watch the Forks Over Knives video.
I have seen forks over knives on netflix, and I have heard of the china study through Dr.Mcdougall. I have seen the info, but honestly I have a hard time assimilating all of it.

What does a dairy free life look like? I know meatless inside and out, but cheeseless is new to me.

Example- we go out to a pizza parlor once a week, I am used to getting a certain pizza, with ice cream for dessert. I need to make a change of order here!

Diner food- I usually just get a grilled cheese sandwich, and a side salad. Now I need to think of a dairy less option. etc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have seen forks over knives on netflix, and I have heard of the china study through Dr.Mcdougall. I have seen the info, but honestly I have a hard time assimilating all of it.

What does a dairy free life look like? I know meatless inside and out, but cheeseless is new to me.

Example- we go out to a pizza parlor once a week, I am used to getting a certain pizza, with ice cream for dessert. I need to make a change of order here!

Diner food- I usually just get a grilled cheese sandwich, and a side salad. Now I need to think of a dairy less option. etc!
It's definitely more difficult when you're eating at non-vegan restaurants. Here in Worthing we have a cafe that sells vegan cheese sandwiches! Are you familiar with the Happy Cow app? It will show you all the veg-friendly restaurants in your area, wherever you go.

I often order from non-vegan pizza parlours. I just get a vegetable pie without the cheese. If you're used to eating cheesey pizza, it might take a few tries before it grows on you, but I find it really lovely-- like a flatbread. You can ask for extra tomato sauce or try an olive oil and garlic base instead.

Diner food is usually more difficult. I heard that Denny's has a few vegan options, though I haven't been there in ages. Most diners have a veggie burger which might be vegan, plus fries or onion rings, a big salad with vinaigrette dressing, maybe bruschetta?
melimomTARDIS likes this.
#35 Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes we get pizza from a pizza place. I order it, no cheese, no butter on the crust (I don't know if that's a southern thing or not).

With everyone's favorite toppings, it's delicious. Sometimes, for the kids, I sprinkle non-dairy shredded cheese over the top and pop it in the oven until it's melted. Poof!

I live in a rural area. I couldn't find dairy free cheese. One store carried lactose free cheese, but it contained another milk protein that I am sensitive to. I asked the manager if they could carry vegan cheese, and suggested a brand. Shortly after, they began stocking many varieties of vegan cheese.

I suppose they sold well, because within a few months, they put in a new freezer section with frozen vegan foods- pizza, TV dinners, mock-meats, etc.
#36 Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

mecanna, I also live rurally. Im in Iowa, and buttered pizza is not a "thing" here, but some places use a butter flavored oil on the bottoms of the deep dish pizzas to keep them from sticking.

As you know we have food issues around here (my son has sensory processing disorder, and a limited diet because of that, and my daughter has a few life threatening food allergies) And of course, I am a vegetarian!

So I am like, man, I hate to add one more thing to my family food needs. But I cant help it, and I cant live with stomach pain forever.
mecanna likes this.
#37 Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Im such a wuss. whats a little stomach cramping, heartburn, and bloating? Honestly I should just get over myself. (lol, J/K)
#38 Old 05-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Lol!! Yeah, but I thought that in reality. I've always had stomach problems, and my fingers were firmly in my ears concerning the dairy/egg industries. "What's a little more cramping? I just won't eat as
much."

My sensitivity to dairy got worse and worse. There came a point when I ate a tiny bit of cheese and was sick for two straight weeks. Cramping and vomiting to the point of being unable to walk. I lost about 20 pounds, and looked like a ghost. (For reference, I'm very short and average about a hundred pounds.)

A friend had to stay here and take care of my kids and the house. After the extreme pain and a very uncomfortable procedure at the doctors, I said nope. Not ever again.
#39 Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I just had to laugh when I read you should try maple syrup and put it all up there.
no whey jose likes this.
#40 Old 05-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post
Lol!! Yeah, but I thought that in reality. I've always had stomach problems, and my fingers were firmly in my ears concerning the dairy/egg industries. "What's a little more cramping? I just won't eat as
much."
OMG story of my life. The food is hurting me, but I hate to make a fuss. LOL!!!
#41 Old 05-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:

I'm very visual, sooo.....

When I saw all the animal abuse videos, they left a lasting impression on me.

It was hard to let go of cheese, but it's just milk in a different form.

When I see cheese.....I "see" a poor cow being confined & milked for human consumption. We don't need that milk....it's meant for baby cows....who are denied it, and "stolen" at birth, for the veal industry.

The same goes for ice cream, the cheese sandwich, eggs, etc.

If you realize what actually happens to put that milk, cheese, etc. on your plate......and you care for the animal suffering associated with it.......it's an easy decision.

I get cheese-less pizza every so often, & it's no big deal.

One meal at a time...........

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
no whey jose likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#42 Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

the real question is "now what?" when you see the suffering. Because it changes you. I feel the same when I see starving children, or anything like that. I want to know how to help.
#43 Old 05-07-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
the real question is "now what?" when you see the suffering. Because it changes you. I feel the same when I see starving children, or anything like that. I want to know how to help.
When I first found out about animal abuse I felt the same, what to do? I joined anti vivisection groups and started one at my school. When I left school and became a uni student I became more activist and went on demonstrations. When I left uni and started working I started my own animal rescue group and rehomed abandoned animals. I ended up with 8 cats at one point from that adventure

Ultimately I eventually realised I was so busy trying to save the world that I'd forgotten about myself. All my care went into others and none left for my own body. If we don't take care of ourselves, who will? That's our primary job.

It's a big enough task looking after ourselves without trying to save the rest of the world as well. I believe the best thing we can do is make ethical, caring and healthy choices for our own life.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#44 Old 05-08-2015, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
See, that's what I love about veganism: there's something you can do to help, right now, even if you don't have money or influence. There are so many evils in the world that I feel powerless to control, but at least I can make a decision not to support animal agriculture with my dietary choices.
Vegan Veteran likes this.
#45 Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
See, that's what I love about veganism: there's something you can do to help, right now, even if you don't have money or influence. There are so many evils in the world that I feel powerless to control, but at least I can make a decision not to support animal agriculture with my dietary choices.
It's true. There's very little in life, over which we have much control, but what we choose to eat is one of them, and perhaps ironically, it's one of the most important things we do.
no whey jose likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#46 Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I am starting to get flack for my not eating dairy. It sucks.

Ie-Surely I am eating yogurt, for the probiotics? Surely I am eating the harder, aged cheeses which have a low lactose content? Why not just take the lactose enzyme pills with my meals? WHY ARE YOU MAKING YOUR LIFE MORE DIFFICULT?

when I mentioned using rice milk in place of dairy milk, and eating non dairy desserts (frozen fruit popsicles), My friend told me that was "f*cking gross".

Can I ask for a wee bit of support, internet vegans? please?
no whey jose likes this.
#47 Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I have made the following replacements/changes-

dairy milk= rice milk (rice dream),calcium fortified orange juice

ice cream= frozen fruit popsicles, italian ices (the luigi branded cups)

cottage cheese= (a former cheap protein source for me)= rice protein powder (nutrabiotic brand brown rice protien, quite cheap on amazon.)

other cheese=nutritional yeast flakes, rice cheese slices by go veggie. (literally I only used Parmesan and those individually wrapped american cheese slices, so its a pretty even swap here)

butter-still using blue bonnet light, which is "accidentally vegan" we have been using that brand for a long long time.

Am i missing something here? is dairy well replaced by the above choices?
River and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by melimomTARDIS; 05-14-2015 at 08:53 AM.
#48 Old 05-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am starting to get flack for my not eating dairy. It sucks.

Ie-Surely I am eating yogurt, for the probiotics? Surely I am eating the harder, aged cheeses which have a low lactose content? Why not just take the lactose enzyme pills with my meals? WHY ARE YOU MAKING YOUR LIFE MORE DIFFICULT?

when I mentioned using rice milk in place of dairy milk, and eating non dairy desserts (frozen fruit popsicles), My friend told me that was "f*cking gross".

Can I ask for a wee bit of support, internet vegans? please?
Your friend eats dead bodies and drinks breast milk from a cow, and she thinks rice is gross?

There's plenty of vegan yogurt on the market if probiotics are something that interest you. I'm not sure how easily accessible they are in your area; I generally bought mine from Whole Foods or the local health food store. They're made from coconut, soy, or almond milk and come in various flavours just like dairy yogurt.

I think your dairy alternatives sound fine. Do you feel like you're missing anything?
River likes this.
#49 Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I am doing okay! I just wanted feedback to see if I made the appropriate replacements.
mecanna and no whey jose like this.
#50 Old 05-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

As long as you are happy with your change in diet, you're good. Your changes are similar to the ones I made when I went dairy-free.

I've spent a great deal of time turning traditional deserts vegan. It can be done! . Pudding, cakes, brownies. Mmm.
no whey jose likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page