b12 tablets - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By dropscone
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 AM

b12 tablets

Hi, I expect this has probably been asked 100000000 times before but i keep finding conflicting information so I'm asking again!

I'm virtually vegan, only eat dairy maybe once or twice a week at the moment, working my way to full vegan once I move out of my parents' house and go to uni in September.

This summer I'm going to be an au pair in Italy for 6 weeks and obviously I want to eat completely vegan while I'm there, however I'm not sure about the availability of b12 fortified plant milks or marmite there which is where I get my b12 from at the moment, so I want to take some tablets with me in case I can't get b12 in any other way. But I keep finding conflicting information about what size tablets and how often to take them. Can you please advise me about this and which are best to buy, preferably from Holland and Barrett as that's the easiest place for me to get some

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2015, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

you can't overdose on b12(unless you eat them by handfuls I guess)
So take 1000mcg tablets daily, should be cheap as well.

If you want exact info, try a site
http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec
#3 Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Tablets that dissolve under the tongue are absorbed more readily by the body. They are cheap and available.
Tom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Vegan since 1991

Like rasitha says, you can't overdose on B12 tablets (don't take handfuls, of course). I would take at least a 500 mcg tablet every other day, or 2000 mcg once per week.

Holland and Barrett sells 500 mcg (also abbreviated "ug") tablets, and also 1000 mcg tablets:
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...500ug-60001370
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...000ug-60001380

Amazon UK also carries several brands of vitamin B12 tablets: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ds=vitamin+b12

The "Solgar" brand B12 tablets tend to dissolve very slowly - I wouldn't recommend them. The other brands are probably better.

Last edited by David3; 03-29-2015 at 07:54 AM.
#5 Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I went around and around with this, and was told by a veg*n dietitian that one 3000 mg tablet a week is sufficient.

I take it on Tuesdays.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#6 Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Interesting. I have 500 mcg from H&B and I don't need to take them each day? That would save me some pennies! I may take them every other day.
Thank you for the info David3

Live, love and nurture
#7 Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a B12 supplement that is in spray form and is 500 mcg and I take it about three times per week. I also get B12 fortified in the almond milk I drink each day. I had my B12 levels tested in 2012 (about two years into being vegan) and they were still quite healthy. At that time I was taking 2000 mcgs of B12 once per week, and occasionally getting it fortified in vegan yogurts and milks.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-04-2015, 03:48 AM
just add raisins

I've read that little and often is more effective for B12 so if you can remember to take it every day you could halve or even quarter tablets that come in a higher dose. I think the larger amounts are for people who are bad about remembering to take their pills and work because B12 is fat soluble, but the Vegan RD has a number of articles basically saying less and more often is best. Here's one of them - http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/07/vi...is-enough.html

Last edited by Naturebound; 04-04-2015 at 03:59 AM.
#9 Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscone View Post
I've read that little and often is more effective for B12 so if you can remember to take it every day you could halve or even quarter tablets that come in a higher dose. I think the larger amounts are for people who are bad about remembering to take their pills and work because B12 is fat soluble, but the Vegan RD has a number of articles basically saying less and more often is best. Here's one of them - http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/07/vi...is-enough.html
What if you have a spray though? Or liquid b12 drops? It would be hard to divide those into smaller doses. My body does not do well with pills. I even have trouble with side effects when I take the vegan B12 spray I have that is 500 mcgs per spray (and is the methylcobolamin version not the synthetic cyanocobolamin ones that are even worse for side effects for me). The day I take it, I have slight nausea, more anxiety and that jumpy feeling when i hear loud noises etc. When I took higher doses or synthetic form or pills, it was even worse and my whole body ached and I felt horrid. I started buying B12 fortified plant milk since this is something I consume everyday to try to get more that way since that doesn't seem to bother me. I can't do multi vitamins AT ALL as they make me deathly sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 04-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

ps I apologize dropscone for the "edit" notice on your last post by me. I meant to quote you in reply and somehow edited your post instead. I tried to return your post to it's original content and then post my own reply. Man, I need to go back to bed!

#11 Old 04-04-2015, 04:05 AM
just add raisins

Naturebound I think what the VeganRD is getting at is that if you're able to eat fortified food several times a day that's the best way to absorb it, so you should be fine. People who want to ensure they're covered while they're away from a source of fortified foods should probably chop up their supplement tablets and chew them up a bit at a time with each meal.

If I was relying on a measured dose spray/drops but found it didn't agree with me I guess I'd try spraying it into a drink or yoghurt or something like that and then taking small sips/bites over a period of hours to see if that was any gentler on my system. If it still didn't agree with me I guess I'd try something else.
Naturebound likes this.
#12 Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

One of our regular members has posted that he grinds up B12 tablets with a (rice?) flour and sprinkles a bit on food daily.
I believe it was Auxin
#13 Old 04-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Why didn't I think of mixing it with food?

Thanks for the idea!

#14 Old 04-05-2015, 01:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Why didn't I think of mixing it with food?

Thanks for the idea!
You absorb B12 better under the tongue than in the gut.

Edited to add, just read a couple of studies that say that eating b12 has a similar absorption rate than sublingual, best on empty stomach. So eating it is fine.
dropscone likes this.

Last edited by LedBoots; 04-05-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Tags
b12 , b12 tablets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page