Mock duck - all vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nooch

#1 Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Mock duck - all vegan?

My partner and I have just found a local Chinese takeaway that serves mock duck/seitan on the veggie menu and I was really excited to try it. I phoned them up to make sure that it was an all vegan dish but no-one in the place could tell me whether or not it was. They said it was bought in but for some reason she couldn't/wouldn't check the packaging - I think we were both struggling to understand each other. My searches online so far are showing that mock duck is always vegan, never has egg added etc - am I just being paranoid? Would you safely assume that mock duck was vegan as well as vegetarian? Or shall I stick to the veggies with cashew nuts?!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

As far as I know, it's always vegan.
#3 Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I have never seen unvegan mock duck, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. Maybe you can try calling again and home to get someone else?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Vegan since 1991

If they serve vegetarian food, they shouldn't mind showing you the package that the food comes in. I would go there in person and ask - there has to be someone there that has greater fluency in English.
#5 Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
My partner and I have just found a local Chinese takeaway that serves mock duck/seitan on the veggie menu and I was really excited to try it. I phoned them up to make sure that it was an all vegan dish but no-one in the place could tell me whether or not it was. They said it was bought in but for some reason she couldn't/wouldn't check the packaging - I think we were both struggling to understand each other. My searches online so far are showing that mock duck is always vegan, never has egg added etc - am I just being paranoid? Would you safely assume that mock duck was vegan as well as vegetarian? Or shall I stick to the veggies with cashew nuts?!
I have seen mock duck in an Asian market that had fish stock in it, so I'd get clarification somehow. (I am not sure if it was Korean or Chinese in origin, as this market has both kinds of goods.)
#6 Old 03-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone, I will try and speak to someone again. Fingers crossed, I love mock duck and my homemade stuff is never quite the same!
LedBoots likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#7 Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I never acquired a taste for mock duck. My daughter & Son in Law like it, though.

I'm stuck on tofu & veggies.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page