• 1 Post By RiggerBoots
  • 4 Post By LedBoots
  • 6 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By Shallot
  • 2 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Beautiful Joe

#1 Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Free land....but you have to live with hunters

This is a question to everyone and anyone, no matter what your personal views are, I want as many replies as possible....I need your opinions.

If you had the opportunity to live for relevantly cheap on a good sized chunk of fertile land would you? This land is remote so you would be completely free to grow your own food, build a cabin, have gatherings, the sky's the limit!

Would you do it and why?

As with all great opportunities it does come with a major drawback. The property has weekly visits from a hunting club. They hunt usually on the weekends but sometimes one or two days during the week. The day they show up is random and unplanned. There is enough land for both parties but they do use it all when they are there. They're friendly but just like your mother is friendly...in your business with a smile.

Would I be passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity or would I be setting myself up for disaster?

Besides just living out there and giving it a go, would you have any other insights or knowledge that I've over looked? What would you do and why? Suggestions?

Thanks for the ever needed help!
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

My main concern here would be getting accidentally shot by hunters. But I also don't think I'd want to live somewhere where I constantly hear people shooting animals.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Give peas a chance

I would wonder how usable the land really is if I was living under the constant threat of bullets whizzing around me. I would also try to factor in the distance to the nearest medical facility that can treat gunshot wounds. If alcohol was ever involved in their outings, then I definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere around it.

I'd also be concerned about planting a garden within their hunting area. A concentrated source of easy food and water is going to be attractive to animals.
Tom, Purp and dropscone like this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Oryzatarian

If the land has been a hunting reserve for some time, what about lead contamination of the soil?

Would you have/earn enough money to live on?
Tom and Purp like this.
#5 Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

No. I couldn't live some where, and every time I heard a loud bang know an animal was meeting a horrible end. I would just sit and cry all the time.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Last edited by River; 03-06-2015 at 11:26 AM.
#6 Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Impeach the gangster

I'm not sure I understand. Unless you actually bought title to the land, you would not be "completely free" to do anything, but would be subject to the changing whim of the owner. What country is it in? Who is offering this "miracle?"
Tom and Purp like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#7 Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM

I own rural land, a little slice of paradise out in the middle of nowhere with no other houses or roads in sight. In back of my property, there is several hundred acres of continuous woods with no houses. We have lots of wildlife including black bears and coyotes. The wooded tracts are owned by people who live out of the area but come up regularly in hunting season to hunt deer, turkeys, etc. Sometimes they just come up in the summer to do target practice at their hunting cabin. It is unsettling to hear the guns, especially when I know they are hunting, not just target shooting. I always wince and hope for a missed shot, but I take comfort in knowing that the animals have complete immunity if they cross over onto my property. We often have friendly chit chat with the hunters when they pass by our place and they are nice people. We want to maintain good neighborly relationships, despite out differences. At least their interest in hunting has kept them from selling the land off to developers or something.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Your second scenario paints a much different picture for me than your first!
In the second explanation you're simply living in the country, not some 'hunger games' style fiction!
Personally not my thing. It has so much of the fake machismo sound, primal instinct, hunters are conservationists that I can't deal with
#9 Old 03-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

#10 Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Years ago my husband, dog, and I were at an abandoned public gravel pit in the country, looking for agates (used to be a pasttime of mine). It was in the middle of summer. At one end of the gravel pit was a line of trees, and then more gravel pit on the other side. My dog Sable and I were walking around in the middle of the gravel pit and my husband was off somewhere nearby when I heard noises from on the other side of the trees. Suddenly there were gunshots and bullets whizzing over my head. They were so close I could hear the whistle of them through the air. My dog freaked out and started running and I ran too, all the while screaming and waving that there were people here and to stop shooting. But i don't think they heard or they didn't care. It was terrifying. Now when we go in the woods or out in the country, no matter what time of year, we wear bright colored clothes. I don't think I could deal with that everyday. Even just the sound...
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Your second scenario paints a much different picture for me than your first!
In the second explanation you're simply living in the country, not some 'hunger games' style fiction!
Personally not my thing. It has so much of the fake machismo sound, primal instinct, hunters are conservationists that I can't deal with
Silva, I think you are confusing my reply with the original poster. I have the same computer generated icon but am a different person. I was merely relating a similar circumstance as I am a vegan with hunters for neighbors.
silva and Purp like this.
#12 Old 03-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Years ago my husband, dog, and I were at an abandoned public gravel pit in the country, looking for agates (used to be a pasttime of mine). It was in the middle of summer. At one end of the gravel pit was a line of trees, and then more gravel pit on the other side. My dog Sable and I were walking around in the middle of the gravel pit and my husband was off somewhere nearby when I heard noises from on the other side of the trees. Suddenly there were gunshots and bullets whizzing over my head. They were so close I could hear the whistle of them through the air. My dog freaked out and started running and I ran too, all the while screaming and waving that there were people here and to stop shooting. But i don't think they heard or they didn't care. It was terrifying. Now when we go in the woods or out in the country, no matter what time of year, we wear bright colored clothes. I don't think I could deal with that everyday. Even just the sound...
You could hear the bullets!?! So scary.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quite simple for me, in the wild, even with guns around the animals have a chance and if they are killed it's by a gunshot they never even heard.

We're not living in a world of rainbows and kittens, making the best of it is how it's going to be for the present,...and many years to come at it's current trend.

If you have the option, take it and make the best of it you can assuming it's a good move for you. Don't ****-off the hunters though you'll make yourself look like a deluded hippy and you'll convince not one of them that they shouldn't be doing it. Remind yourself they are preferential to all other forms of animal killing and it's those other area's that need to be challenged at this present time.

Some would disagree with me but I'd rather people hunted for their dinner than have shady slaughter houses and I'd rather animals were killed swiftly than horrifically, IF they are to be killed at all.

With a bit of land you can reduce your carbon footprint on your food production, make it an area that supports wildlife, monitor local wildlife populations, conduct eco-experiments (i.e. try to find better ways of doing things with an eco/wildlife-friendly core), forage, etc. etc.

Bear in mind the alternative to your proposal OP is probably living in closely to meat selling stores and diners, meat eating people, bad dog owners, some hunters no doubt etc. etc. Is that better?!

It's not perfect but then not all of us as well off in this system and thus cannot afford to own a wildlife sanctuary.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#15 Old 03-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerBoots View Post
Quite simple for me, in the wild, even with guns around the animals have a chance and if they are killed it's by a gunshot they never even heard.

We're not living in a world of rainbows and kittens, making the best of it is how it's going to be for the present,...and many years to come at it's current trend.

If you have the option, take it and make the best of it you can assuming it's a good move for you. Don't ****-off the hunters though you'll make yourself look like a deluded hippy and you'll convince not one of them that they shouldn't be doing it. Remind yourself they are preferential to all other forms of animal killing and it's those other area's that need to be challenged at this present time.

Some would disagree with me but I'd rather people hunted for their dinner than have shady slaughter houses and I'd rather animals were killed swiftly than horrifically, IF they are to be killed at all.

With a bit of land you can reduce your carbon footprint on your food production, make it an area that supports wildlife, monitor local wildlife populations, conduct eco-experiments (i.e. try to find better ways of doing things with an eco/wildlife-friendly core), forage, etc. etc.

Bear in mind the alternative to your proposal OP is probably living in closely to meat selling stores and diners, meat eating people, bad dog owners, some hunters no doubt etc. etc. Is that better?!

It's not perfect but then not all of us as well off in this system and thus cannot afford to own a wildlife sanctuary.
Though I agree with you to an extent, I wouldn't say that hunted animals in the wild that die from gunshots have it much easier. My husband's family are all hunters (including the women) and some of their stories are disturbing. Most often animals are not killed by one bullet and often they still run off and must be tracked down. That means they bleed to death over a long period of time. If they escape but are maimed and bleeding, they are an easier target for nonhuman predators. And often it is the strongest, biggest, healthiest animal humans choose to take down, not the sick and weaker ones that other predators take. Babies are often left without Mom and/or Dad to provide and they slowly starve to death. Some animals are maimed from traps or spend days suffering broken limbs in them before they die and the owner of the trap comes for them, and they too become easier prey for predators. Also, in some U.S. states, it is legal to use a team of dogs to hunt with and go after the prey.

It is still most likely preferable to the mass farming of animals (though if animal farming was banned I am guessing there would be a lot more people out hunting for their meat), but I think it is all too common to paint a picture of the heroic and respectful hunter feeding his/her family and ensuring conservation of wildlife. Most hunters do not need to take down animals to survive nowadays, and most do it for sport, hardly for survival. Where I live, a majority of hunters have been against the hunting ban of wolves, right along with farmers.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 03-06-2015, 03:18 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
No. I could live some where, and everyone I heard a loud bang know an animal was meeting a horrible end. I would just sit and cry all the time.
Same here. It's my idea of a living nightmare, NOT paradise

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#17 Old 03-06-2015, 05:06 AM
High King of Eire

Aslong as the hunters weren't your typical country bumpkin horse riding red coated twats and actually ate the animals they hunted, didn't over hunt, or cause damage to the environment then I don't think I'd have a major problem, because the fact of reality is, people will always hunt, there will always be communities that hunt for food (like the Inuit people who have to hunt to survive).
#18 Old 03-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Lovable misanthrope

People do NOT have to hunt to survive!

#19 Old 03-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Hunting on a weekly basis? Hmmm, that sounds like they won't have much to hunt for very long.

As for the original question, I'm with River. I wouldn't be able to take it, knowing that each time a gun fired that someone could be losing their life.
#20 Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I think on balance no would not go for this ... not if I had to share the land. If I had my piece of land which was 'hunting free' (by humans with guns I can't say I want to interfere with how animals naturally live their lives) it might be different. The real difficulty would be that the hunters were in a position to turn up any time they wanted to shoot ... while I was there. Hunting once a week sounds very much like it's hunting for the 'sport' of it (rather than for food or managing the land in some way). I'm not a big fan of the trophy hunter - it just represents the lowest form of cruelty, a senseless waste of life.

On a more personal level, it would also feel very unsafe to have a bunch of men (I'm making a rash assumption here about who'd be hunting but I do know that most hunting clubs are male dominated) running around with guns and shooting to kill.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#21 Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 AM

I live in rural Portugal and there is hunting in the countryside around us twice a week in season, on specified days. The hunters use the footpaths that we usually walk our dogs on so, on those days, we walk them elsewhere. I don't like it, but I can tolerate it. It would be different if it was happening on any day, with no warning.

While others are right that no-one needs to hunt to survive, it is also true that no-one needs to buy meat from the supermarket to survive either. People here hunt for food (combined with sport, rather than for sport alone) and I think that is preferable to buying shrink-wrapped slabs of meat that bear no resemblance to the animal that they once were.
#22 Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyBeans View Post
I live in rural Portugal and there is hunting in the countryside around us twice a week in season, on specified days. The hunters use the footpaths that we usually walk our dogs on so, on those days, we walk them elsewhere. I don't like it, but I can tolerate it. It would be different if it was happening on any day, with no warning.

While others are right that no-one needs to hunt to survive, it is also true that no-one needs to buy meat from the supermarket to survive either. People here hunt for food (combined with sport, rather than for sport alone) and I think that is preferable to buying shrink-wrapped slabs of meat that bear no resemblance to the animal that they once were.
But the sport aspect of why they do it is still there... Most people I know who hunt, buy a lot of meat from the grocery store as well when they haven't been able to hunt. If they were only eating the meat they hunt then yes it would be preferable, but many don't do that.
Naturebound and Jerel 123 like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#23 Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
But the sport aspect of why they do it is still there... Most people I know who hunt, buy a lot of meat from the grocery store as well when they haven't been able to hunt. If they were only eating the meat they hunt then yes it would be preferable, but many don't do that.
That's true. But if we accept (even if we don't like) the fact that most people are going to eat meat every day, I would prefer that some of that meat was wild and hunted, rather than all of it intensively farmed, which much of it here is. Or reared at home - my neighbours rear chickens, ducks, sheep, goats & pigs but all of them are kept in small barns, no access to outside etc. I would prefer that no-one ate meat at all, but if they are going to I think hunted is the lesser of many evils - others will no doubt disagree
#24 Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Hunting is very cruel, it's not lesser of any evils. It's cruel to chase an innocent creature till it drops out of exhaustion and then killing it

#25 Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with River. I couldn't take it, just as I couldn't take living next to a slaughterhouse or a feed lot. I have a hard enough time seeing pastured animals, and knowing what is going to happen to them.
Naturebound likes this.
#26 Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the great replies, all of them were helpful. I knew this would be a great site to post this question. Can you imagine if I posted this on Yahoo answers haha! No way.

I don't know if any of you will read this but I'd like to clarify some things.

1.) No, the threat of getting shot is very low. Everyone always knows where everyone is at all times. However, the length of the property is certainly less than the distance a bullet travels so now I'm going to be a little paranoid lol.

2.) The property is a relatives. They don't live on it, just visit once or twice a week to take a ride or go hunting. Building a small cabin would be acceptable to them.

3.) I plan on working part time (50 mins away) and trying to grow produce the rest of the time on the property. It's awhile out though, building the makeshift cabin on a shoe string budget will be the challenge.

3.) Shots will be fired probably once every two weeks. It's hunted property, not always killing property. Sometimes the animals are no where to be found.

4.) Naturebound is right. I've often witnessed deer and pigs getting shot in the stomach then getting the final death shot hours later. Unfortunately, when an animal gets shot in the stomach, they still have the capacity to run for very long distances. If I were an animal that was going to get killed, I'd opt for an open farm setting and a quick bolt to the back of the head vs a hunters wild aim.

5.) TheHappyBeans and jessandreia...these are both very good observations. Hunters do eat meat everyday, 99% of this meat comes from the grocery store. It's a "treat" when there is wild game on the table. However, in my estimation, 20% of hunters do it for food and 80% do it for fun/a big trophy. Most hunters give this explanation of why they like hunting:
"I like being out in nature, I like hiking and getting the exercise, you know, real hunters, not tree stand people." "Killing the animal is just a bonus." But, when there is a large trophy worth animal in sight, it's a little different story, trust me, "Shoot it! That's a big son of a bit&h, fu#$ing shoot it!!" Yeah, I wish I was making that up.

Thanks again for the insight from everyone, you all seem like very good people I'd actually enjoy handing out with.

What am I going to do? Going against the better advice you all gave me, I'm venturing forward with caution. I'm going to test the waters and see if I can do it. If not, well, nothing lost....as long as I don't get shot lol!

Last edited by Jerel 123; 03-21-2015 at 08:31 PM.
#27 Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Lord, I could never do it. I'm terrified of guns, for a start! I wish you luck, though. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page